What went wrong?

What went wrong?

Attached: sun ultra 45.jpg (3008x2000, 1.91M)

Other urls found in this thread:

discord.gg/YrgDzC
ebay.com/itm/Sun-Microsystems-Ultra-24-MT-Intel-Core-2-Quad-Q9300-2-5GHz-4GB-RAM-Quadro/183441104764?hash=item2ab5f11f7c:g:eKQAAOSwl2xboRDA:sc:FedExHomeDelivery!90670!US!-1
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>3008x2000

Open Sourced too late

Oracle

Dis

Sun was failing before Oracle acquired them. Oracle was just the final nail in the coffin.

These were probably ahead of their time. I remember you had an access card that you could carry around and your whole desktop environment/profile was saved on it so you could go to any solaris workstation and use it.

Attached: boomer.jpg (550x550, 31K)

I wish it would have caught on instead of Loonix.

this, plus CDDL was a really bad choice in the long run

In my opinion SUN made one of the biggest mistakes leading up to the current software ecosystem.
JavaScript would've been a scheme had they not intervened. The web wouldn't be so shit.
It's a mistake on the caliber of IBM picking MS-DOS as their default operating system and later PC manufacturers only supporting Windows. Must've not seemed like a big deal back then, but the consequences...

SUN WAS COOL BUT SGI WAS COOLER

I WANA DO A MODERN BUILD IN A TEZRO CASE

Attached: sgi_n_sun.jpg (1457x535, 100K)

How so? It stopped linux from taking the good parts while stopping other companies from making proprietary versions

linux killed sun

That's exactly why.
Linux has a much larger installed base, so if they were to port any of the Solaris code they'd find bugs much more quickly. That, along with general improvements, could be fed back to Solaris.
Alas, because of CDDL the pipeline works only one way and all it succeeded in was making Sun look like leeches.

>Linux has a much larger installed base, so if they were to port any of the Solaris code they'd find bugs much more quickly. That, along with general improvements, could be fed back to Solaris.
Then there would be no reason to use Solaris because Linux would have the same features

Right, I forget the world is static and unchanging...
In reality Sun was the leader in research for years and they were the first with features such as dtrace or slab allocation. Just because Linux would eventually get the same features doesn't mean Solaris wouldn't have the advantage of being there first.
The problem with Sun was they wanted "open source, but not really" - i.e. appearing to do open source while retaining the control. But you can't have your cake and eat it too, and Sun paid the price for it.

So Linux could have free R&D done by Sun

orders or magnitude more investment in the pc hardware/software stack left all unix workstation vendors in the dust

Linux and GNU too
how can you beat something that's given away for free?
this is especially significant on hardware that cost in the tens of thousands of dollars

that pic looks comfy

That's inevitable anyway. Everything was eventually copied, and not just by Linux. Other Unices (HP-UX for example) benefited too.
The difference is Sun could have gotten something back, which is the entire point.

>dem fucking onyx
available in 'domestic fridge' and 'your datacenter needs bigger doors' editions

>that pic looks comfy
pic related comfort levels: stratosphere

Attached: schleswig.jpg (3000x2000, 783K)

that's quite the unix battlestation

Hired too many pajeets
Read up on it

Just like how the AOSP gets free R&D that gets fed back into Google Android

That's just putting /home on a USB stick and having LDAP.

Once ran into a sun microsystems monitor at a local boys/girls club (which is an after school program) when I volunteered there. Dunno if it worked but it was neat to see it in an unexpected location like that.

Attached: sunmonitor.jpg (931x399, 244K)

Got a oracle joke

If Oracle made a C# clone, instead of "using", the import keyword would be "suing"!

[laugh track]

idk what went wrong but god damn that is a slick looking case. Anyone know what specific model it is so I can buy one?

>destroying a work of art because you’re too stupid to comprehend computing without video games and youtube
seriously consider suicide instead

This. The capability to run IRIX and non backdoor procs is more important than your ebing gaymen pc.

>all those O2s, Octanes, Indigos and Indys
>that Onyx server in the middle
HNNNNNNG

Attached: 1a9.gif (412x304, 2.79M)

>tezro
>artwork
pick one. sgi were already well fucked by that point, Octane2 probably the last good SGI 'desktop' (assuming non-IKEA desk)

this is why the boomer said ahead of their time

Attached: 1537605984796.jpg (840x1200, 883K)

The Tezro is ugly as fuck but it's still an incredibly powerful graphics workstation that uses non-backdoored MIPS64. It also runs IRIX, the greatest Unix distro to ever bless God's green Earth. I used to like Motif before I used IRIX but now I just feel dirty going back to CDE on Linux.

Sun rose to supremacy on the back of the dotcom industry which, of course, utterly destroyed itself a few years later and put a pretty good dent in Sun's core market just in time for commodity systems to finally come of age and absolutely gut the low end of the workstation and server markets, where ultra-proprietary RISC/Unix platforms utterly struggled to compete with a new generation of Windows NT and Linux systems that did everything they did and more at a quarter of the price.
On top of all of that, the hardware was just getting shittier to boot. Sun was selling UltraSPARC II dinosaurs with no upgrade path into the new millennium at mid-range PC prices and even their flagship Blade and second-generation Ultra lines generally lagged behind PCs and even other RISC vendors. A top-end Ultra 45 commanded five figures for a single-core UltraSPARC III coupled to old-ass DDR memory and U320 SCSI when even Apple was embracing multi-core processors, DDR2 and SATA in their final generation of G5 systems.
Their servers were always a little better, but even those lost their edge after a while in all but the few cases where the extra .999% uptime, better I/O performance or Solaris features offered an advantage over a generally faster and cheaper high-end commodity system.
Not to mention a Tezro PC conversion would just look like fucking shit and do that aesthetic absolutely no justice. Buy a nice new case that embraces the current era instead of ruining something nice from the past to fail to relive it.

SGI was "well fucked" by the time the piece of slow, rehashed trash that was the Octane2 started shipping, too. Most industry observers considered them a dumpster fire as early as 1997. The Tezro is pretty much an upgrade from the Octane/Octane2 in every respect, with up to four far superior processors, an actually useful expansion bus and a just as, if not more eye-catching and unusual enclosure. It's certainly just as over-engineered as any Octane as well.

>all about opinions, Boss
cant be fucked looking up dates etc. but, the original Octane was a fine design for it's time, tezro was really running on fumes stuff, it was an underpowered POS at launch. And as all of these 'incredibly powerful GFX machines' have (maybe) a fraction of the usefulness of a Quadro, and that is any model Quadro, be as well sticking to aesthetic arguments nowadays. And, as someone rightly noted above, not even its progenitors could love the tezro, really was one ugly bitch of a machine. Shame about Irix tho

Just shove a modern GPU in it... they have PCI-x slots, and startech sells a pci-x to pcie4x converter. Mesa should work fine on MIPS.

Planning on doing this to one of my O2s

Won't work. Don't ruin your O2.

Hey guys, guess what I found for free

Attached: 20180714_100710.jpg (3264x1836, 2.01M)

Even got some nice beasts (Onyx2 and Origin2000 in the back as well)

Attached: 20180922_180132.jpg (3264x1836, 2.17M)

Stop it! Stop it! I can only get so erect!

nothing. it's always been overpriced trash.

are you selling any of these? what would you ask for those octanes and a keyboards? would love to buy some of them from you

nice shelves ;)

I'm pretty much selling all of these, come discuss on the IRIX discord when you want: discord.gg/YrgDzC

I forgot to add the IRC for the botnet haters: #irix on irc.rizon.net

Solaris is a bus making company, lol.

is solaris still good?

>the original Octane was a fine design for it's time, tezro was really running on fumes stuff
It definitely was, in fact it's probably one of my favorite SGI systems, next to the teal Indigo2 family.
But it was the beginning of the end, and the Octane2 wasn't really any better than the Tezro in the "running on fumes" department. The same old Octane with a new blue skin, rehashed R10Ks and a video subsystem that was quickly outshined by commodity solutions.
The Tezro was definitely disappointing and nowhere near as mind-blowing when put up against commodity solutions as its predecessors, but you could say the same for any SysV RISC platform at that time. The whole market was living on vendor locked shops at that point, so I can't really give it too much shit for that. They're still quite eye-catching and uniquely designed, still over-engineered and very expensive, and still the fastest IRIX workstations around. I can appreciate that part of them.
We ultimately don't disagree that much, really.
>And, as someone rightly noted above, not even its progenitors could love the tezro, really was one ugly bitch of a machine.
Honestly, I'd call most SGI systems "ugly." Weirdly-shaped cases with outlandish color schemes, tons of plastics and very dated branding running equally dated software. But that's exactly why I like them from an aesthetic standpoint, they definitely stand out. It's all relative in the end, anyway.
Damn, that's nice. I wish I had some spare money to throw at those Fuels or some parts to restore my Octane back to the dual 195/MXI maxed config it should have been.

>unmanaged shitgear switches

Why wont it work?

I've done this on an XServe G5 with a FireGL something-or-other PCI (it simply has the same PCI to PCIe bridge as those adapters, and the GPU is just a regular PCIe Radeon 3450).
I can confirm mesa acceleration works. However I haven't really tested it beyond glxgears and extreme tux racer. Mainly because the thing is a very loud space heater, so I put it in storage and now I've lost my DisplayPort to HDMI adapter, so I can't do shit until I buy a new one.

Thats neat.
I kinda want to throw in a modern AMD gpu that can do vulkan and hardware x264 decoding, hide it all inside the case all tidily, and use it as a shitpost of a machine. Hopefully i can get something absolutely horrible like minecraft or some open source game running on it.

>all those LaCie ElectronBlues
HHHNNNGGGHHH

Attached: 1536144442386.jpg (364x364, 38K)

I managed to get Minecraft (1.5.2) running on Leopard on a 1997 Power Macintosh G3 beige (with a shitload of upgrades, that is), so I don't see why this wouldn't be possible.
Funnily enough the server portion is running on a Sun Ultra Enterprise 250 with Debian. Poor 417MHz G4 upgrade can't really handle the game's internal server.

Probably stick with some open source games that support "modern" gl or vulkan, so they dont go too hard on the cpu.

Minecraft is already completely CPU bound even on a modern machines, so im expecting single digit FPS.

Yeah, even when offloading the server to a separate machine the thing still runs at single digit framerates. Still, it's pretty cool to see Minecraft running on a 1997 machine, or rather two of them.
As a side note, this runs at over 30fps on my dual 1.33GHz PowerMac G4 (server on the E250 too, of course)
Here's a pic for proof.

Attached: 'cause RISC, that's why.png (1280x960, 894K)

Is there any technical reason you went with 1.5.2? I'd love to see if I could get 1.7.10 to run on my G5, but I'm not sure if it would.

so basically if IBM went with Linux all the contrarians on the board would be using Windows

really makes you think

no because MS wouldn't get their dinero and apple would become more popular

>JavaScript would've been a scheme had they not intervened. The web wouldn't be so shit.
What are you talking about? Sun had pretty much nothing to do with JavaScript. You might as well blame Microsoft for giving Netscape Communications the idea to embed a language into their browser in the first place.
>It's a mistake on the caliber of IBM picking MS-DOS as their default operating system
What should they have picked instead?

Second this

The newer lwjgl binaries required for 1.6 and up don't work with Leopard's JVM. Even if you install a newer JVM, Minecraft will assume you're running Linux and it will try to start in Xorg mode, which uses modern OpenGL stuff which isn't supported under Leopard. At least that's my experience.
On GNU/Linux it's even worse, since there aren't even native lwjgl binaries for linux-powerpc, and I've had no success building them.
HOWEVER. There's this nasty hack you can do, which is what I'm doing.
You can run an up-to-date Spigot server on another machine (or maybe even locally with a newer JVM) with a plugin called ProtocolSupport, which will let you connect old clients down to 1.5.1 to it. So you're running a fully up to date server, but an old client. New materials and stuff like that is translated to old equivalents, but at least you can play with x86lets by only using RISC hardware yourself. And you get all the new algorithm improvements and all that. DO NOT use boats, though. They break everything client-side.

>so basically if IBM went with Linux
Linux wasn't an option in 1980. Neither was MacOS.
Digital Research fumbled their chance at glory.
Gates' parents were socially connected to IBM's CEO. Bill got the word that IBM were looking for an OS and picked up QDOS and sold it to IBM.
It's hard to imagine what Seattle Computer Products would have now had they sold their DOS to IBM rather than to Gates. But they weren't insiders.

Damn, I wonder if you could hack the shit out of a newer version of lwjgl to support it. I gotta have my autism mods.
That's a cool hack with the client support though, I might have to mess with that anyway.
It doesn't matter if Microsoft or Digital Research or whoever the fuck else got the deal, it would have ended up just as messy as it is today because shit developers will always be shit developers.

>fucking around on minecraft
>instead of fixing northdale

I just run my autism mods server-side. I've always done that anyways, since that way you don't need to explain to every single one of normie friends how to install them. It's a compromise, but it guarantees we're all getting the same experience and keeps it KISS to them.
I don't get this. Something WoW-related? I don't really play that many videogames anymore since my assburgers made me stop enjoying fiction when I hit 19.

>I just run my autism mods server-side.
Wait, when did this become a thing? Or do you mostly just run gameplay mods and not things that add new models/textures and other assets?

They're mostly gameplay stuff (TreeAssist and Lockette, for example), per-server custom texture packs have been implemented for quite a while now, too, at least 1.5.2 supports them. New assets... I'd say that's a no without a modded client.
Look up Spigot, modular open source implementation of the Minecraft server which succeeded Bukkit. Tons and tons of mods available for it, most of them don't require anything on the client side.

Should I use this case for a modern build?

ebay.com/itm/Sun-Microsystems-Ultra-24-MT-Intel-Core-2-Quad-Q9300-2-5GHz-4GB-RAM-Quadro/183441104764?hash=item2ab5f11f7c:g:eKQAAOSwl2xboRDA:sc:FedExHomeDelivery!90670!US!-1

Attached: s-l500.jpg (500x431, 17K)

it's more interesting as a decently configured late-era Sun/Solaris workstation than someone's frankenstein Windows 10 gaming shitbox with a dead company's logo on it

>how can you beat something that's given away for free?
A 2-3% desktop share would suggest it was quite easy. Free stuff is worth what you pay for it. Trouble is, the paid versions of Linux are over-priced.

Didn't they come with a windows config?

This. Most computers are a lot more interesting with their original hardware, than some random snsv motherboard and other current components.

What if he puts openindiana or omnios on it

sure, but it was XP/Vista, not baby tablet botnet
then it’s someone’s frankenstein doorstop with a dead company’s logo on it

NINE 24" W9011/2S

FUCKIN NOICE

NOT AS GOOD AS THE FW900 BUT THE BLACK BEZEL WITH SGI LOGO ALMOST MAKES UP FOR IT

ONLY THE GREY BEZEL SONY BRANDED FW900 AND WHITE BEZEL HP BRANDED A7217A HAVE THE GOAT 24" SFP FD TRINITRON TUBE

Attached: SGI W9011.jpg (580x435, 70K)

the paid versions of GNU (Red Hat, Suse, even Ubuntu to some extent) are much more popular than Solaris

>going back to CDE on Linux
I smell a LARP
CDE was open sourced just a couple years ago, why would you go back to CDE after years of a modern desktop? Not even considering CDE is unusable in Linux

just because you're baby ducked to the Windows 95 UI model and are too stupid to comprehend anything else doesn't mean the rest of us are

Again, what did you use as a WM until CDE was released as open source? Did you just switch to Linux in 2012?

typically WindowMaker or fvwm, currently I use KDE (riced to behave somewhat like Solaris CDE) and mwm
not even that guy btw, just think you sound like a fucking tool using the word "LARP" unironically

Which proves my point that CDE is unusable shit on Linux and that guy is roleplaying (on Solaris it's alright)

holy shithow much do you want for one of these

>testarossa wallpaper
mah nibba

but I don't run CDE because it's unusable, I don't run it because I can't be fucked to build it and mwm is available on any package manager worth a shit
to my knowledge the only problem with CDE on Linux is that it has to be built with some insecure setting that's easily mitigated by a firewall anyway, functionally it's fine

does it have a built in webcam or some thing that bar at the bottom looks retarded.

using gray Philips 109b6 have 3x of them in storage.

>Sun
>SOLaris
Illuminati confirmed™

>FW900
Them fuckers were literally 100lbs apiece.
Fucking monstrosities.

the thing that killed SGI and Sun / other bespoke hardware makers of the time was AMD and Intel.

well and ATI and Nvid also.

all these companies only did well in the 90s because there wasn't mainstream hardware that was good enough at graphics or maths. once intel and AMD ramped things up in the early 2000s and the gpu makers as well these companies where finished.

SGI went from like 8billion value in mid 90s to 100mil in 2005 or some thing. they where retarded and didn't adapt and they where also wasting money making their own operating systems.

Nvidia WAS SGi tho.
Startup was literally all ex SGI engineers, pissed off that SGI management couldn't tell their arse from their elbow, and the future was commodity hardware. SGI still held all the patents (OpenGL, etc) Nvidia needed to use to survive. SGI gave Nvidia free use of them all. Complete lunacy, and corporate harikari.