Need advice on how to become a better programmer

I'm currently taking a bachelor as a Computer Engineer and plan on continuing with a Master afterwards. So far I am getting top grades, even outperforming coding autists and wizards.
However, I have limited programming skills. Sure I know of the basic data structures and some algorithms, but I never programmed prior to Uni, I do not code in my free time. So I worry that if I do nothing now, I would probably be jobless when I graduate. But it’s not because I find it hard but I just really don’t know what I should make. I do enjoy programming when I do homework though.

Assuming you are some software developer or engineer earning over $100k, could you suggest me some fundamental but basic programming challenges and literature that will help develop my programming skills further?

Attached: F0EFD9D9-5376-465E-9ED4-2FF86E8D2877.jpg (255x251, 9K)

Other urls found in this thread:

blog.codinghorror.com/yes-but-what-have-you-done/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

git gud lmao

Wear programming socks to better regulate your blood flow

the most jobs and money are in web and you could learn everything you need in under 2 months

>Assuming you are some software developer or engineer earning over $100k
Hate to break it to you, but you're not going to earn $100k straight out of uni, not even with a masters.

t. $120k system- and embedded programmer with a PhD and 5 year experience from the industry.

>I do not code in my free time
Start doing that. If you don't know what to make, reimplement something, even games.
Networking is also as important as being a good programming, so go to events and talk to people.

>Assuming you are some software developer or engineer earning over $100k, could you suggest me some fundamental but basic programming challenges and literature that will help develop my programming skills further?

GTFO of uni and get into the industry, it's not hard to earn good money and work on interesting shit without a degree. Turns out the biggest "challenge" you can complete is the real world, who woulda thought?

My total comp is $800k stright out of college.

Ballmer's peak is an xkcd meme you fucking mong.

Thats was not my question. I just wanted advice from someone with that kind of salary, aka seniors, as they would give the best guidance for me to develop into a senior myself

Practice.

blog.codinghorror.com/yes-but-what-have-you-done/

Make a user mode driver

Is this appropriate for someone on my level? Got some stuff for me to read on it?

Internships, join a hackerspace at your uni, program in your spare time, try to get a part time job that at least to some degree involve programming.

Would even an absolute novice like me have any problems joining a hackathon?

All this time spent questioning yourself and others and you could've already written like 5 programs by now.

Not a hackathon, a hacker space.
And no, many welcome newcomers and foster an environment to learn and do cool stuff.

Attached: 1525994085725.jpg (1700x2470, 1.67M)

Make something more complicated than your college assignments over the next break.

Aim for 10,000 lines of code at least.

Best learning is by starting contributing to some big FOSS project and learn from other programmers who review you code etc.

Then you have to deal with CoC and autists.

>wont earn 100k
If you use school connections and get a decent internship or two you can get faang straight out of school. Clear 200k first year with the sign on bonus