/pcbg/ PC Building General

>Create a parts list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Learn how to build a PC
Search youtube for a guide for your socket

Want help?
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses; eg Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose and graphics card pairing.
>Don't use Speccy. Use HWinfo, SIV, etc.
>For Win7 in Ryzen, refer to pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1

CPU
>R3 2200G - Bare minimum gaming(dGPU optional)
>R5 2400G/i5-8400 - Consider IF on sale
>R5 2600/X - Good gaming & multithreaded work use CPUs
>Wait for 9700k - Almost surely best for 1080p gaming
>R7 2700/X - Best high-end gaming/mixed usage on a non-HEDT platform
>Threadripper/Used Xeon - HEDT

RAM
>8GB - Enough for most gaming use
>16GB - Standard for heavy use
>32GB - If you have to ask, you don't need this
>CPUs benefit from fast RAM; 2933MHz+ is ideal

Graphics cards
>RTX 2000 cards are worse performance per $ than current GPUs. Just a marketing gimmick to rip off idiots
>Avoid cheap MODELS ie MSI Armor (Mk2 is ok), Gigabyte G1/Wf, ASUS dual, and others which have small heatsinks and low quality fans
1080p
>RX 570/580 /w Freesync or 1060 6GB are standard 1080p 60fps+ options
>1050 3Gb or RX560 for lower settings and/or older games
>GTX 1070Ti/Vega 56 if seeking higher FPS /w a high hz monitor
1440p
>Vega 56; 1070Ti/1080 if you already have Gsync
>GTX 1080Ti if seeking higher FPS /w a high hz monitor
>Upscale from 1620-1800p. Maybe 2080Ti, but awful value.
OpenCL work
>Vega 64

Storage
>Backup before using StoreMi
>Consider getting a larger SSD (better GB/$) instead of small SSD & large HDD
>2TB HDDs are barely more $ than 1TB
>M.2 is a form factor, NOT a performance standard

Display
>Consider 75hz minimum; 60hz are mostly old models.
>Always consider FreeSync with AMD cards
>___sync is important for slower response time monitors (IPS)
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING

More
rentry.co/pcbg-more

Previous

Attached: noctuainline2.jpg (769x767, 172K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/vCKQLJ
secure.newegg.com/Wishlist/PublicWishlistDetail?ID=28719069&&cm_mmc=snc-email-_-sr-_-wishlist-28719069-_-09/23/2018
pcpartpicker.com/list/HFpLbX
pcpartpicker.com/list/pTQhFt
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232530
gskill.com/en/press/view/g-skill-releases-amd-compatible-trident-z-rgb-kits
gskill.com/en/press/view/g-skill-announces-flare-x-series-and-fortis-series-ddr4-memory-for-amd-ryzen?p=0
pcpartpicker.com/list/k6WLbX
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

boutta buy this lads any last second changes recommended? Gonna be doing light gaming, anime, and school work. Would appreciate the advice.
ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/vCKQLJ

Attached: hereweare.png (727x585, 52K)

Any recommendations for Ryzen 2700X motherboard and ram?

Attached: help.jpg (1024x1024, 154K)

>Backup before using StoreMi
Can someone talk to me about StoreMI?
Planning to eventually couple a Samsung EVO 860 m.2 SATA 128Go with a Toshiba X300 5TB/128Cache 7200tpm.

OS on Samsung EVO 860 500GB
Gaymes and audiovisual on EVO 860 1TB
Using a mATX case.

Attached: 1519054202016.jpg (500x264, 34K)

Could probably get a 480gb sad for not much more

anybody know what those little gel strips are called that come with heatsinks to reduce vibrations? I can't seem to find them.

Price doesn't matter, R6 or Meshify C?

The ADATA drive has a small write cache and write speeds are very shitty. If you're fine with that go for it since read is usually where it's at for desktops, but I'd advise spending a little more on a decent budget SSD like a WD Blue or MX500 or something. SATA SSDs are mostly the same these days since the bandwidth is saturated anyway, but the ADATA is a stinker.

240GB isn't much disk space. If you can, pick up a 1TB or 2TB hard drive ($40-$60) to compliment the SSD. You may also want to consider StoreMi if you do.

G skill makes AMD optimized ram but any 3200 C14 is top of the line.
X470 CROSSHAIR VII HERO is best for OC.

My brother current gaming PC has an i5 4690k and a GTX 970.
He wants to upgrade, but I'm not sure if it's worth getting a new CPU (which means new MOBO and RAM).
Though about getting him a new GPU, maybe a 1080 and OC the CPU (currently on air with a Cooler Master 212 EVO) to 4.2Ghz, maybe upgrading the RAM to 16Gb as well.
He plays at 1080p right now but mentioned upgrading the monitor as well in the future, hence why I thought abou the 1080 instead of the 1070.

Thoughts?

Still had meme name enabled

>Meshify
*whirrrrr*

>Spending 250+ dollars on C14
Don't listen to this retard.

thanks

Keep the CPU. Currently, it does not look like more cores will be useful anytime soon for games. Get a new GPU.

open box 1070 ti for $350 should I pull the trigger? I'll be playing on a 4k TV but at 1080p/60hz.

I have a fuck ton of old computer stuff given to me by local tech stores. Much of it is not working. But some of it is. I have about 60 laptop and desktop motherboards for instance.

This motherboard pictured is the A7V8X-X. It has the CPU+heatsink and generally looks in good condition.

But how do I test it? I can insert a PCI GPU and I have a VGA monitor to connect it to. What else is necessary?

Attached: a7v8x-x_l.jpg (400x333, 37K)

Throw that shit out

Ryzen 2600 @ 220$
You can get it 40$ cheaper.
GPU
Get Sapphire Pulse 8GB. Better performance.
And whatever the other guise said about SSD

Not asking him to buy, just saying it's the best he can get. Good ram makes good ryzen.

Assuming is old shit get a couple of DDR/DDR2 sticks and a PSU.

Isnt Armor a piece of shit?

thanks, I already have a couple 5tb drives at home, which is why I didn't include one in the pcpartpicker list due to mostly using it calculate actual money I'd be spending.>67754448
I mostly want an SSD for the OS and a couple games, I'm not after lightning fast load times or anything, just generally noticeably faster than mechanical.

Why?
I used to buy Mushkin and Corsair previously, and was thinking getting something along lines of 3000.

Your call, of course. However, here in Switzerland, the WD Blue / Sandisk 3D SSDs (= same SSD, basically) are constantly being discounted as hell so I'd rather invest 10$ or so more for a drive with stable performance.

is it loud?

lol what. You can make shit loads of money selling old pc hardware

If it's anything like Enmotus's Fuzedrive it sucks
>Paried with an NVMe drive, performance was inconsistent
>Can't remove cache without destroying the volume

Attached: 1275192508293.jpg (211x193, 8K)

You can make shitloads of money picking up cans and bottles or begging, too.

This. I also gladly take any old hardware my company would otherwise throw out, either to sell it or to build Franken-PCs for friends who need one for free.

That's a good SSD desu, have one of them myself. Amazing value.

There's zero noise insulation like their Define cases.

In fact, it really is just a cheap, watered-down version of their better cases.

Does the Titan V still make sense buying with all the new RTX stuff?
I need a new rendering rig for a work project and I can't use my Radeons, the Software needs CUDA for stuff like fluid simulation, 3D rendering, denoising and ray tracing.
The candidates would be the Pascal Quadros (a bit outdated and really expensive), the the Volta or RTX Quadros (way too expensive, also overkill except maybe the RTX 5000) or a Titan.
RTX Quadros aren't even out yet and I can't really wait long.
I'd prefer certified pro drivers for the future but they aren't needed.
Goes for about 3000€ here btw, what to do?

Attached: 1500759124946.gif (316x212, 2.7M)

I've made €340 selling old shit (often UNTESTED) on eBay the previous 60 days. It is good supplementary income. I could make more money if only I could confirm the parts are working first.

Attached: A455-2034-main.jpg (300x300, 89K)

It's not NVMe, I've read that the performance increase was negligeable, so not paying 20-30$ more for it. Thanks for the input.

Is the Power Color a good GPU brand?

No, the 2080ti is the new Titan and is better is all regards.

Are you those assholes that always try to haggle you with retarded prices on second-hand parts boards?

Fuck you, I'm just trying to pay bills

Attached: 1299235335110.png (469x493, 304K)

I've only ever seen the opposite said

Huh, I hadn't considered that. Got any good benchmarks/test on hand that do workstation stuff?
I'd prefer non gaming cards but then again a Titan isn't really a professional product either.

The OP of this general says it's shit, for example.

I sell it for an even or lower price it is being sold for on eBay. The UNTESTED motherboards for instance are all €15 each. I often get good feedback saying it was fully working - when I could have sold it for €60.

>list item on ebay
>buyer wants to return it
>get item back dismantled
>have to press charges
>wait months
Why would you go through all this for $50 lol

Can you build a hackintosh with Ryzen?

Will any PSU that fits do? It won't fry the board if the V/A isn't just right?

I've got an MSI motherboard that refuses to work when I put my RAM in quad channel configuration as per the manual's instructions. No matter what I do, 1 & 3 or 2& 4, it refuses to turn on unless I stick the two sticks in 1 & 2.

It's too late to RMA it, should I just get a replacement and say fuck it? Or is quad channel a meme?

Attached: 2018-09-23 11_43_19-Piriform Speccy.png (763x508, 39K)

>Mk 2
My bad buddy, guess I'm fucking blind lol

If you need a purely working gpu the Titan still has more shader processing units and memory bandwidth. Idk how GDDR6 fends next to HBM-2.
Can't find any software benchmarks of the two. But price quality ratio seems to favour the ti.

>2008
>try to build a "future proof" computer right after initial i7 release
>enjoy playing crysis, mirrors edge etc
>years pass
>6 GB upgraded to 12 for a few bucks
>added boot SSD on a SATA 6G/USB 3 extension
>i7 920 replaced with Xeon X5650 for $30 and OC from 2.6 to 4 GHz
>2018
>want a new computer
>keep checking new hardware and deals
>old computer still runs everything fine on 1080p with a $100 gtx 1050 added
>cyberpunk 2077 isn't out yet and still no proper VR

This is getting boring.

>rx 580 for 300

I'll sell you a 1070ti for 300.

What's the point of getting a 2700x over 2600x for just 2 more cores?

pls r8
secure.newegg.com/Wishlist/PublicWishlistDetail?ID=28719069&&cm_mmc=snc-email-_-sr-_-wishlist-28719069-_-09/23/2018

Check benchmarks and see for yourself. They are hyperthreaded so it's effectively 4 more.

Is this build any good?
pcpartpicker.com/list/HFpLbX

I'm a noob and don't really know what I'm doing, so I just based it off of pugetsystems prebuilt VR tower that they want over $2500 for.
I figured it I bought all the parts myself it would be cheaper, and pcpartpicker says around it'll be around $1800.

I don't actually have to buy the power supply because I can just cannibalize the one from my current build.

Attached: 1391058515078.png (432x454, 268K)

Why aren't Vega cards prices going down?
I have Freesync so I need AMD.
EU fag
can I expect price drops soon?

Real conflicted at the moment about whether I should continue using my 1080, by a 1080ti or buy a 2080ti.

It doesn't help that I massively jumped the gun and now am stuck with a non-g-synch 4k monitor that I can't take advantage of cause the 1080 doesn't do a good job supporting 4k in most games now, let alone newer ones.

Worst $400 I ever spent...

if it's freesync you could just wait for amd navi

maybe it won't suck

You will need Static Pressure fans for the radiator if you change them. Also, no GPU. RGayB/10 ram.

Isn't it goint to be midrange?
> just wait

Not before next year.

its Canadian, cucked out of those sweet American prices.

Fucking Micro Center only gives $20 discount on 2600x but $30 on 2600. I want that extra ump but now sure if 2600x is worth $30 more than 2600.

>Falling for the 4k meme
That sucks desu. The mainstream market is nowhere close to being ready for 4k gaming. 2,000 dollar monitors, 1200 dollar GPU that barely runs games over 60 fps maxed out at 4k.

How's this for an upgrade? At this point a sub 1k budget is out the window, but fuck it.

Attached: latestshitteration.jpg (696x491, 68K)

Mid-range price, good performance. The Navi is said to compare to the 1080 for the price of a RTX570/560

Don't buy Windows for more than 30 bucks. Use kinguin.net or similar sites.
Also get faster ram. Could argue for a bigger SSD too, and obviously 2080 is bad value unless you want Raytracing

You can get better deals on the CPU and GPU. Check Amazon. Save 40 on the CPU and 50 on the GPU.

>>RTX 2000 cards are worse performance per $ than current GPUs. Just a marketing gimmick to rip off idiots

Kys shill

Attached: Screenshot_2018-09-19-21-46-31-823_com.opera.browser.png (1920x1080, 611K)

What actually can go wrong if you use a Nvidea card with freesynch?

Is there any hope the AMD card will be able to compete with Nvidia? Maybe if they don't focus on experimental technology like ray-tracing and invest everything into raw performance?

I was planning to just use my existing 1080. I'm so I don't know what to do really with the graphics card situation. Best case scenario is a miracle from Team Red in the gpu department...

Do you suggest changing the radiator fans?

>RGayB/10 ram
I don't know what you mean, but speaking of RAM do I have the right kind? I heard that AMD CPUs don't play nicely with all of them.

Who buys/advertise a vega 64 anyway?

>What actually can go wrong if you use a Nvidea card with freesynch?

nvidia doesn't support freesync (despite it being open source) because they're jews and want you to buy their proprietary g-sync monitors

Pretty good but not perfect. The RTX 2080 is way overpriced and the cooler is on the smaller side for a stick i7.
Also the Define R5 is getting a bit too expensive now that it has been replaced by the R6. Consider a different case unless you really want that one.

did noctua make their fans that ugly color because its the same as thous sanhiser headphones and other high end headphones?

literally the most retarded marketing choice prob has cost the company like 3mil in profit.

How bad is the Nitro+ Vega 64 Saphire for 600€(shiping included)?

Attached: your ancestors are not pleased.png (156x147, 23K)

amd so probably the worst you can buy

Flare X and Trident Z are the same but Flare X are like 40$ less.
Check the reference, last letter is X for AMD optimised. So in your case, no.

Not as good as a 1080.
Go for a Vega 56, or RX580 if you want to use freesync.

Is a i5 8400 and good match for a 1060 6GB? I don't play a lot of new titles. Decent amount of emulation of PS2 titles though, gotta replay the Silent Hill series come October. Also don't know what to look for in a motherboard, so looking for input on that.

pcpartpicker.com/list/pTQhFt

All that's left for me is the CPU, GPU and mobo, I have the rest.

Attached: 1531545630440.png (1476x1354, 499K)

It looks more expensive and less pretty :(
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232530

I have a 4K display

Hey bros
Here's the build i'm buying in like two weeks. Now, should I get this or rather a RX580 ? Overclocking is not exluded for the 1060 but my 75Hz monitor has freesync, which one will feel the smoothest ?

Attached: Screenshot_20180923_180400.png (1139x595, 88K)

Any PSU will have enough power to boot an old board and a stick of RAM provided it has the right connectors.

I try to get 3200 memory and go for the RX580 8GB

I had this board. Shit build quality, get rid of it.

>All those Halo & Morrowind memories

depends on your goal. i use a meshify c and its honestly not that loud if you build for silence. d15 and a good gpu and its silent under most use, slightly audible while gaming. the r6 is dead silent however but temps are higher in it.

armor is shit

its an airflow focused case. i like it because its really small

Idk if you need amd optimised if you go for a b450/z470 mobo.
Anyway, here the amd optimized tz is 300€ and the FC is 260€.
Who cares about pretty, are you playing games or watching your case?

Why would you use meshify if you "build for silence"?

im saying you can get a silentish build with good airflow as opposed to a build with okaying airflow thats dead silent.

I'm reading other reports dating back to 2017 and it says they came out with AMD compatible TridentZ. Didn't say on the store page tho.

Is Intel releasing new chips soon? Do you think they are worth waiting for?

I'm waiting on the off-chance 8700k goes on a steep sale.

Is it better it better to get the z370 for the 9700k or the z390. Building brand new pc if that changes anything.

It's suppose to release early Oct, so like two weeks or so.

Kek, not happening before months. There is a a supply problem atm.

gskill.com/en/press/view/g-skill-releases-amd-compatible-trident-z-rgb-kits

gskill.com/en/press/view/g-skill-announces-flare-x-series-and-fortis-series-ddr4-memory-for-amd-ryzen?p=0

i doubt we'll see that much of a change. theyre still coffeelake. also intel never goes on sale. ever

Yes, those are the articles I meant.

The TridentZ has better CAS latency and timing than the more expansive FlareX so I don't know if getting an "optimized" set of RAM is worth it when they already made the better RAM compatible.

How is this for a build? I am a poorfag and just want to game for a few years without upgrading.

pcpartpicker.com/list/k6WLbX

Attached: build01.png (718x652, 47K)

Man, SSDs have really gone down in price. The 2TB driver I got from Samsung cost, like, $600.