Did you know?

If your CPU happens to have no integrated graphic and you ain't some sort of dumbass gamer you can buy an USB-VGA device for less than $10 and avoid going for PCI GPU

Attached: 1425576131837-P-2447881.jpg (250x250, 14K)

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/direct3darticles/directx-warp
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Advanced_Rasterization_Platform
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Thanks, this actually solved my problem, don't know why I didn't think of that when I fucking work at a tech store that sells these.

so...what is being digitized? something has to create the actual image. how is USB able to have the bandwidth for this, especially when it's a processor-intensive protocol due to not being interrupt-based? does this dongle do the final digital-analog conversion?

Is this reliable? Doesn't sound like a good long term solution.

Nothing is being "digitized"
The USB device has a (albeit weak) graphics chip in it, and it registers to the device as such. It's not really any different from a "graphics card" you'd normally use, just way weaker, no cooling needed, less hardware to support it, etc.
USB 2.0 even has more than enough bandwidth to serve up a basic 1080p monitor. It isn't gonna do any games, and if the chip in the adapter doesn't have any video acceleration, that's also going to be hella choppy, but at USB 3.0, it's enough to run a 4K monitor well (well, probably not a VGA one, but an HDMI one could).
As for the Digital-Analog conversion for VGA, yes, that DAC and hardware is also packed into it.

>you ain't some sort of dumbass gamer

PROTIP: You can buy a cheap PCI-E GPU and not be a "dumbass gamer" and still reap the rewards of having a more powerful GPU for your system. Compositing multiple monitors, hardware acceleration for video, new web pages can use GPUs to render way faster, better color profiles and calibration management, GPU passthrough for virtualization, and not to mention GPGPU in programs that support it like Maya, Photoshop, Corel, Illustrator, and more.

A lot of them have a history of working for a good while, then dying.

I've deployed a lot of USB GPU solutions similar to the one OP posted for offices that wanted a 2nd monitor, but had USFF PCs with no expansion slots. The cheap ones last anywhere from 3 months to 4+ years. It's kind of a crap shoot, honestly. It's a good solution in some cases, but not all.

So, good for systems that don't have any free expansion slots. I think I'll stick with the idea of just getting a fanless graphics card.

>you can buy an USB-VGA device for less than $10
you can also just buy a used office workstation pcie card for $10 off ebay

your usb thing is a total waste

>being this poor
enjoy your shitty drivers, screen tearing and garbage image quality

>It's not really any different from a "graphics card" you'd normally use, just way weaker,
False. Graphics cards consist of more than just a DAC.
All USB "GPUs" I've seen require a real gpu and special drivers that render everything using the real card to display anything

When you don't use a dedicated GPU the OS will fall back to using a software based rasterizer which is way less efficient and slower and can result in screen artifacts like tearing.

The latest versions of the Windows software rasterizer are capable of DX12.

docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/direct3darticles/directx-warp

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Advanced_Rasterization_Platform

Shh ayymd doesn't want you to know this

can you explain why would use ??
didn't understand

dont those work only on thunderbolt ports?

Neat

2.0 is not enough for 1080p 60fps.

You do realize this is just for office drones and macfags to give presentations on ancient vga-only projectors right?

This will just render in software mode, it's the same thing as using a gpu without drivers.

They would use a DP to VGA, or HDMI to VGA adapter.
Which is simpler and also allows normal GPU rendering.

This really seems to be for when you have no graphics port whatsoever.
A PC without integrated or dedicated graphics, or maybe some embedded systems?
It might be handy for servers too, idk.

I've got an old PC that only has a vga port (which is damaged), I wanted to turn it into a microserver so I was going to get a dedicated gpu, but the adapter seems like a better fix.

what in the name of god is this contraption?

Shit

Would that work for a laptop with fried graphic card? It's a pre-integrated graphics in cpu device.

I don't believe this works, where's the proof? No way there's a gpu inside this thing.

There's no GPU, all drawing is done in software. The box only contains an ADC, framebuffer memory and USB controller.

I use one of these at work everyday to power a second monitor.

How well does it work?

It works fine on usb 3.0, anything lower and you'll get a slideshow, though.

How is it possible that I've never heard of this :o This is a pretty cool hack

I hate CPU manufacturers for being in the year of our lord and still seling CPUs with no graphics chip. What the fuck.

Not that guy, but I've used one of those things as well. They're fine for office work and browsing, and not much else.
You likely won't be able to configure your UEFI or even see your boot screen if you try to use one of them as your only graphics output.

>The USB device has a (albeit weak) graphics chip in it, and it registers to the device as such.

Neat didn't know that.

Most motherboards have a HDMI port on the back why would this ever be a problem

Ryzen, Skylake X, Servers. On my 2700x 390x desktop I have a USB DisplayLink monitor myself cause it has a Wacom on top of it. Though I wonder if it will boot if I take out my GPU.

Thanks. I'll probably end up getting one of these for my laptop so that I can use two VGA displays with it. It has one VGA port and a DisplayPort. I tried getting a VGA to DP adapter but it doesn't work. It's not a limitation of the GPU either, since it can use a VGA and DP monitor simultaneously.

>graphics chip in it
So what drivers does it use? Like a copy of intel integrated or vega?