Put new thermal paste on laptop CPU

>put new thermal paste on laptop CPU
>temps are worse

Attached: 1503721509825.jpg (362x366, 17K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=kSCVahyh3Dk&t=35s
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>the life of a frogposter

You probably used the dot method like you would on the CPU, but the laptop die is exposed so you do need to actually spread it evenly on there. I think.

Did you make sure you screwed on the cooler correctly?

I used the rice method on CPU and the dot method on the GPU since the dye is squared on the GPU. GPU temps are thankfully down, by around 4°C that is. What I think fucked it up is the process of putting the heatsink back. It's not as simple as with desktop heatsinks. You first have to jitter the thing to fit into the laptop, then put it slowly down on both the CPU and GPU, then you again jitter it around to actually be able to screw the bloody thing back together. This resulted in the paste being smeared all over the dye instead of being spread nice and evenly. I'll have to use the credit card method because there is no way to really have a good spread otherwise.

Yes I did.

>GPU temps are thankfully down, by around 4°C that is
Probably your CPU started throttling and GPU utilization decreased. You shouldn't replace thermal paste more often then once in like 6 years, it's a meme.

I take it back, sort of. I found out that there is a method you need to use when srewing the heatsink on. I'll keep that in mind from now on.

I was replacing the stock paste for better temps.

Yeah, something that you shouldn't attempt doing.

Why? Isn't the stock one worse? Theoretically, if I do it properly the temps should be better, no?

The paste is not here to improve heat transfer. No paste will ever transfer heat better than the CPU metale directly against the radiator metal.
The past is just here to fill the voids, since the two surfaces will never be perfectly flat. That's why you need very, very little paste. People always put too much on.

>Theoretically, if I do it properly the temps should be better
If you do it properly they would be about same. It's not like laptop manufacturers intentionally use shitty paste, they actually compete with other vendors.

Maybe, maybe not. There was paste spilling out of the dyes and the old paste didn't seem to be applied properly overall. I don't know, maybe if I reapply it the temps will approve. If not, oh well silly me got excited only to be disappointed again.

Pfffffft. Total crap. First example is Apple that use mexican toejam for paste.

Did you remove the old thermal paste first?

>use facebook frog to make thread
>thread is worse

you applies it incorrectly. Watch and learn
youtube.com/watch?v=kSCVahyh3Dk&t=35s

Of course I did. Used isopropyl alcohol 70%.

I unironically never used pased. I just put it on like I do chicks. Raw.

Just use mayonnaise and replace daily

>70%
>Not using 99%
Do you want your shit to not work?

I read that 70% is fine. I got the 70% one for free.

>laptop
laptop posters are far worse than phoneposters

But I do want a desktop, user. A man can dream.

i dont think it matters that much on a flexible pcb, but you'd start with the screws next to the DIE and ideally tighten evenly
paste goes bad after some years and replacing it with new (state of the art) is an improvement every time

ur mom gay

>I found 70% in my moms sink drawer

Kind of true. Actually my mother sheds isopropyl tears onto the cue tip.

I don't hate myself so don't buy applel
>paste goes bad after some years
Except it doesn't

>Paste doesn't go bad over time
Silicon based ones do

user here. So should I leave the thermal paste on my refurb chinkpad alone? I'm getting like 60°-65°C temps with nothing but Youtube running on one tab in palemoon. i7-3520m if it matters.

Attached: sabina3.jpg (389x550, 31K)

I have no such info but you may want to replace it if the contact broke because of thermal deformations (which can happen in span of 6 years, maybe less, maybe more). But replacing paste on a new laptop for lulz like OP did is dumb.

Can almost 3yo be considered old?

I would draw the line at 4 years old

Attached: ap76852859002[1].jpg (2400x1800, 560K)

you would only get better temps if you used liquid metal instead of paste

fucking this, temps still seem to be the same, im gonna check if the heatsink isn't loose tomorrow