Livestreaming general

Are there any good alternatives to Ustream?

A few years back, anons of very small European chan made a parallel website which simply featured a livestream embed and a Chatango group: we used to stream movies and comment them for shit and giggles.
For about nine years, it has been a delightful remote corner of the internet.

In 2015, we switched to Ustream -because it provided better quality (and because someone *cough* not me *cough* tought it was immensely funny to interrupt some mecha anime with swap.avi). It has serviced us well, until technical issues arose in the past year, and finally in August Ustream started to demand payment.
Users, which were no more than 12 at a time, started to fade away.
I, an absolute incompetent in computing, took the effort to try out Whostreams, but it simply doesn't work: constant lagging and buffering.
Twitch is also not an option.

I humbly come to you, Jow Forums, to ask for your guidance.
Please, help me to solve the issue and save a beautiful internet gem from an undeserving death.

Attached: ustream-logo.jpg (1000x562, 53K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/ant-media/Ant-Media-Server/.
virtualbox.org/.
debian.org/,
ubuntu.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

i'm interested too

if you're going to stream movies the safest way is to self host your own hls stream on a server.

there are a few other free streaming sites like stream.me, mixer, facebook live on a private group, youtube live, periscope or dailymotion, but of course none of these allow streaming movies. i have seem people streaming tv channels on the russian social network ok.ru but ymmv.

bump

Youtube.

Twitch.

>self host your own hls stream on a server
How do you do that?

They ban anyone who tries to stream movies.

i know you said you're incompetent in computing, but for this you will need to learn how to manage a linux server. if you know how to do that, there are several open source video servers like github.com/ant-media/Ant-Media-Server/. this one runs with java and has a web panel for management. accepts streams from obs

How do I learn to manage a linux server?
Which programs do I need?
I already know how to use OBS, I hope that's a start.

pomf.tv works for small scale user stuff like you're describing. if you're mostly streaming downloaded media, you could instead upload those files to a host/gdrive and use cytube to do a synced stream.

>a livestream embed and a Chatango group: we used to stream movies and comment them for shit and giggles.
this was a huge thing in /v/ in 2009

What we do (other streaming site that shall not be named) is just use a russkie social media video embed a la VK and or OKRU to stream

I stream movies from my impressive external HDD collection.
So you're suggesting pomf.tv?
I just need to register and paste the link in OBS à la Ustream, yeah?

Foreign language can be a bit scary.
Also, don't vk and other social media compress a lot of quality?

Idk I just found out how to set up an okru account and since it asks for a phone number,I just grab a free burner off the internet and use that
The max quality on both of them is 720p iirc, and you can't really force the bitrate more than 1.5-2k, but it serves its purpose, especially considering it's not even fullscreen and most people are shitposting anyways

i can't really teach you how to install and manage an operating system in one post. it may take you months or years, just like you need to learn how to use windows. i learned to manage linux because i wanted to host a tf2 server for my friends. the best way for leaning is installing it, using it, breaking stuff and fixing them, reading the manual

Ok great, I'll try out this okru thing.
Just, how do I get a "free burner off the internet"?
And can the stream be permanently embedded in our website?

Don't get me wrong, I'm definitely well.intentioned to learn. This whole streaming experience has already taught me a lot, and it would only make sense that it kept doing so.
It's just that time is not in our favor: this is a very small chan, I don't think we ever had more than 50 recurring users total. The streaming initiative was a big part of what was keeping things together, now we are down to 1 post per hour, it's disheartening and devastating.

>free SMS phone number online
You just get the stream key and you can use that permanently.
What we do is we have that for whenever someone is streaming, and the rest of the time we have it on some autostream (ie one of vaughn.tv's streams), by just changing the embed whenever someone finishes actively streaming through the account
Obviously you want to update OBS the sane way

i guess for now you should try one of the russian social networks. like i said i have seen people publishing japanese tv channels there. even that facebook live map with streams from around the world seem to show movies sometimes, but i wouldn't trust that.

if you're interested in learning a new operating system, there are things called "virtual machines" that you can run safely on your pc and they act as a virtual pc. a common software for this is called virtualbox.org/. with it you can install a linux based os without touching your existing os. i recommend debian.org/, but ubuntu.com/ is way more user friendly for those who never touched linux before. there are way more different linux flavors, we call them distros.

you can stream any movie you want as long as its in a different language.

No you can't. We already tried.

cytube

have you tried using youtube live with a private stream, quite a few sports streamers do that

It doesn't allow to stream videos from your pc.

Yeah, I think it wouldn't work either. Plus, Youtube requires a lot of verification before allowing you to stream.

OP here, I'm trying out Vaughn Live.
Never heard of it, what do you think?

Right now OBS is giving me 5% of lost frames, at mere 1500 kbps and 24fps.

>Youtube requires a lot of verification before allowing you to stream.

It doesn't, but ContentID will kill it even if it's private.