> reading docs
> writing docs, latex, markdown
> programming, python, c++, ruby..
> wanna have good tiling wm, like i3 or awesome
> wanna be safe and stable
> will use it on a 32bit toshiba nb200 laptop with old crappy hardware

which one Jow Forums and why ?
I'm leaning towards freeBSD side

Attached: memecraop.jpg (2518x1024, 392K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/mayfrost/guides/blob/master/INITIATION.md
dragonflybsd.org/
man.openbsd.org/radeon.4
man.openbsd.org/ath
man.openbsd.org/athn
freebsd.org/internal/code-of-conduct.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

FreeBSD or Debian.

NetBSD or Gentoo

gentoo
gentoo
gentoo

>FreeBSD
>Linux
Anything that requires sucking on the CoC(k) is out.

OPENBSD

9front

freebsd = got everything you need

Genpill me on Gentoo. Why is it das Überbetriebssystem?

>OpenBSD
>giant lock
kek, use FreeBSD

It gives the neets a fake sense of accomplishment as they spend 200 hours compiling everything to watch anime 2% more efficiently.

OpenBSD if you have to go towards BSD
this guy gets it
*hugs*

What about arca os

no

Attached: no.png (200x23, 4K)

What about haiku os

Yes

Lmao imagine being so virgin that using Linux wasn't obscure and l33t enough for you, you have to use some irrelevant memeOS because the developers of your previous OS don't hate gays enough

What do you care, you'll never contribute to it

But FreeBSD was one of the first people to jump right into getting with the Code of Conduct? At this point why even leave Linux.

>thinking this tactic will work

debian testing

I haven't been this frustrated in a while. I want to leave linux because sjw's are taking over but freebsd is also infested with sjw's and every other open source OS has shitty hardware support and won't support anything made past 2005 for the next 20 years. god fucking dammit

Attached: 1537663050048.jpg (400x400, 23K)

OpenBSD, mein nigger.

Install Windows 10

I tried out many Linux distros and some BSDs. The thing with Gentoo Is that literally everything works the way expected. Add emerge and its insane capabilities on top of it and it is instantly clear why Google uses Gentoo as base for Chrome OS

> opens with virgin freebsd chad openbsd meme
> ignores the obvious choice

are you using that as your main OS? I have radeon graphics and an atheros card. will I run into any trouble?

Even if you're joking, please do not try to fragment the *nix communities right now. Please.
Divide and conquer is not something I want to see, intentionally or otherwise.
I don't want to see infighting, I want to see cooperation. Please. Can we try to help each other.

Attached: 1418671082052.png (310x217, 27K)

Not sure why you would ever opt for BSD over Linux.

ok what do you suggest then

In a time where everyone is already under attack, maybe we shouldn't attack each other.

>irrelevant memeOS
Unix

neither, install lesbian

No. You didn't get my question.
I didn't ask for what we shouldn't do. You already explained that.
I asked for what you suggest we should do.

CRUX
CRUX
CRUX
CRUX

github.com/mayfrost/guides/blob/master/INITIATION.md

That is the suggestion. I'm not sure where you're confused.
It's not a matter of doing, as much as it is not-doing. Simply don't attack people in the same community while they're down. It's likely that you'll be under fire next and it'd be better if we supported each other instead of pointing fingers.

For instance, it doesn't make sense to attack Linux or FreeBSD. When it happened to FreeBSD people made fun of them, then it happened to Linux, now people are making fun of both. It could happen to the rest of us 1 by 1.
Instead of allowing things like this to divide us, we should come together.

I'm not sure where you're confused but I guess this is futile anyway. So I give up.

FreeBSD cuck license.
Linux coc suckers
lmao

No I'm genuinely curious about this and not trying to shitpost on you. You said we shouldn't try to fragment the *nix communities. We shouldn't attack each other. But not-doing alone is not enough to stop this from next infecting.. I dunno.. OpenBSD or even Tempmeme OS.

So I ask again.. What do you suggest we should do as a community to stop this fragmentation and weakening?

I am not your commander. I will take you from negative to neutral. Someone else can take it from neutral to positive.

>What do you suggest we should do as a community to stop this fragmentation and weakening?
As stated, not attacking each other, and instead cooperating, is the first step. What "cooperating" entails is not something I'm even concerned with right now since everyone is still yelling at everyone, or simply trying to jump from one sinking ship to the other.

It'd be great if the GNU userland could be put together with a BSD kernel.

>FreeBSD
Might as well install gentoo if you are fine with compiling

I have good news for you.

If you don't want to compile, why not use binary packages?

How does it compare to Ubuntu or mint? I'm a Windows pleb and only have had limited interaction with Linux through school an that small Gap when I had everything I needed but Windows for my gaymer pc

>I'm a Windows pleb
DON'T GO GENTOO YET
DON'T GO GENTOO YET
DON'T GO GENTOO YET
I am telling you, the installation is a bitch for new users. If you want to experience the process use this guide github.com/mayfrost/guides/blob/master/INITIATION.md
Although is not the same distro Is kind of the same process and will give you an idea, plus it is handholding and more friendly to newcomers.

the shit CoC is the reason why there are so many packages with missing maintainers

DragonFly BSD is the answer.

dragonflybsd.org/

Attached: DragonFly_BSD_OS-tan_2.jpg (576x860, 417K)

First you need to go past Ubuntu and Mint's gui-reliant interfaces, then understand what you're doing when you open the terminal instead of copy-pasting commands, then try to netinstall a distro made for servers and build a usable interface from scratch (Debian is good and Arch is relatively easier and more complete in some places but more confusing on others) Then lurk more here, learn how to compile and maybe learn some C/C++, THEN you're ready to have a good understanding of how to build your own Gentoo in a way that doesn't suck.

tl;dr No. Lurk more.

Serious question, why FreeBSD haven't stepped to CRUX yet? The ports are as pretty and the init scripts are godtier?

Minimalism for the Linux kernel is an option since version 3.17 with the tinyconfig flag, so miniimalism is no excuse.

man.openbsd.org/radeon.4
man.openbsd.org/ath
man.openbsd.org/athn

Should work on your machine.

definitely not this lmao

>hate gays
I wasn't fishing for red herrings, please stop giving them out.

OpenBSD works fine if you have decent hardware / laptop. Yes, the FS sucks, but then just get DragonFly or wait until HAMMER is ported.

Theo will never be cucked, unlike Torvalds and FreeBSD.

OpenBSD or Dragonfly BSD?

9front is practically dead. It only gets like 15 commits per month

What is special about Haiku that makes it worth while over something like Linux or BSD or Plan 9?

OpenBSD

Is it legit as an OS? I have been seriously thinking about using it as a daily driver.

>not attacking each other, and instead cooperating
lol fag

>pic
correct

Attached: 1537736189678.png (1412x712, 778K)

correct

I just finished a trial run with FreeBSD after using Arch Linux almost exclusively for about 4 years now. For the most part, things felt very similar. I was able to install my DE of choice and easily obtain drivers for my nvidia card (1080t).

Things that felt worse about FreeBSD:
* Slower boot time. It's possible this can be fixed, but I didn't take the time to dive that deep.
* Less comprehensive docs. They do have reasonable documentation. But it's not on par with Arch Wiki.
* Init system is garbage. Unfortunately, the init system doesn't seem to have full control over the processes which spawn from it. I found it impossible to kill sddm using the command service sddm onestop. It would simply restart. The restart command didn't work correctly either. Also, you have to manually edit a text file to enable services to run at boot adding a line like servicename_enable="YES". systemctl is unironically better. Pretty much anything would probably be better.
* Couldn't get vulkan working. As an indie software dev who is working on a vulkan-based renderer, I was very disappointed to find that I could not get vulkan applications working on FreeBSD. The nvidia drivers supposedly support it and i had everything installed. However, one of the required extensions for getting a surface to render to was not available for some reason and vulkan was unable to detect my GPU as being vulkan-capable. It's possible there is some bug in GLFW on BSD and I could figure out how to make it work if I dig a little deeper and write lower level code. However, I don't like writing platform specific code, so that's a downside in my book.
* Less available software. Not only is there less software available, but there is not any equivalent to the AUR that I could find. They have their ports tree, which is the closest thing. For anything else, you have to to compile it yourself, and you may not even be able to.

Things that felt better about FreeBSD:
* Nothing

no, thats heaven

wow thanks! installing it soon

On paper it looks fucking amazing. Can someone share their real life experience with it?

OpenBSD, otherwise Devuan

Debian kFreeBSD but thanks to systemd it's pretty much dead

>bu hu hu i want no infighting and a big tent
as a republican who loves white people, I gotta say you have a shit strategy. Allow me to explain big tent in action:
"No, don't purge milo, they do so much for (((the movement!)))"
*2 weeks later milo outed as kiddy diddler*
"No, don't purge heimbach and TWP, yeah they're fat spergs but they're on our side right?"
*2 weeks later heimbach fucks his own mother in law and beats up his best friend/father in law/second in command*

Purges are good sometimes. If one member fucks up you let them know. If they refuse to un-fuck, you purge.

>I want to leave linux because sjw's are taking over
are you 16?

youve been memed on

there's literally nothing to conquer in the FOSS scene. If you're worried about divide and conquer agendas in modern society, I recommend that you participate in serious anti-Zionism

based and redpiled

Attached: gzZpfxsjrIW23Qa62twqQEoHVIY-BvdBtX5z9EBZgyA.jpg (533x768, 59K)

>i want to leave
if you go somewhere else you are the type of lemming who will ruin anything else you go to, because when the going gets rough you get going. If you care about FOSS, then stay, do what you can to push back against the "SJWs"(not a very accurate term, they're just people trying to make every facet of our society geared toward third worldism and making brown people breed), and if it gets bad enough you fork linux. Get some balls, kid.

People are not software and projects are not groups of people. That shit doesn't apply.
It's not like you can just remove Linux and replace it like you can with a politician or activist. We have a finite amount of these things, we don't have a finite amount of republicans.

Linux is infected, FreeBSD is infected, and someone is next. You can't just say "purge it all" as if that's a reasonable strategy.

I've been interested about dragonflybsd for at least a couple of months, but the thing that throws me away is that it's amd64 only, I want something to use once RISC-V takes off.

>deleted

Attached: nervous dog.png (500x502, 140K)

Keep in mind that FreeBSD was cucked a long time ago with a CoC that bans hugs.

I'm not saying "purge it all", we shouldn't jump right to OH NO LOONIX IS DOOMED, you can try to work your way into a position of authority on the project and course correct, you can continue adding commits without being a trannymonger, you can fork linux if need be.
But you need to have purging on the table. You think these people won't purge you for not serving their ends? That's how they win for Christ's sakes.

As silly as it is, I won't pretend like I enjoy hugging my 200+lb coworkers when we meet up. Or any male that isn't close to me for that matter. But we also shouldn't have to have that in writing. In grade school we were taught boundaries, I don't know what is going on in other parts of the world.

Good luck with purging these people. They have history on their side when it comes to fucking shit up and getting away with it.
I know that doesn't imply it's going to happen again, but it keeps happening.
And everytime it starts with
>that will never happen
then it happens and people say
>they'll never get away with this
and then they get away with it.

Hugs are just a thing that really stuck out with their CoC and it got memed heavily, but their CoC is pretty bad in general, have a look:
freebsd.org/internal/code-of-conduct.html
It definitely drives me away from even using it, not to mention contributing code to these people.

Does BSD support my 4k-Gsync monitor?

I don't really care about developer politics. The SJWs and ant-SJWs are all fucking retarded. As soon as either side starts bringing politics into the conversation I immediately disregard anything they say.

Enjoy having developers who actually keep the project going thrown under a bus because some angry twitter activist decided to dig something up about them to get them in trouble.
All I want is a meritocracy, and they're trying to ruin it in favor of their speech policing CoCs and shoving politics into everyone's faces. If it weren't for them, we wouldn't have a discussion about this in the first place, and being complacent is the worst thing you can do.

She's cute.

I'm sorry, but I couldn't hear you over the sound of all that /pol. I'm going to continue doing my own thing and if my OS of choice actually has practical issues I will consider how to best solve those issues. So far, I have not had any practical issues using my OS of choice as the result of your daily SJW dev soap opera.

suck a fat dick you fag, your insane rambling won't stop me from using a *BSD as an alternative to lincucks
the CoC's sole purpose is to gain political control of the project through coercion over contributors
if you can't see the power game at play here, you're a fucking retard and you shouldn't reproduce
tl:dr
kill yourself

Linux is just a kernel.

>won't stop me from using a *BSD as an alternative to lincucks
I really don't care what you use or why.
>if you can't see the power game at play here
Cool story. I still don't care. It has zero impact on how I use my desktop computer.

It's really a shame that Jow Forums is so intent on destroying any hope of meaningful conversation about tech by poisoning every conversation with this soap opera tier political drama nonsense. If I stopped using every piece of software that people complained "was run by SJWs" I wouldn't even be using my computer anymore. I would simply resort to other hobbies. How about you just use your computer and stop caring about what a bunch of retards think?

>I want a meritocracy and that's why I will choose my OS based on the political views of the devs and not the merit of the OS itself.

>>I want a meritocracy and that's why I will choose my OS based on the political views of the devs and not the merit of the OS itself.
I believe in meritocracy therefore I use an OS based on meritocracy
OpenBSD is the world's most secure OS
are you a fucking retard ?

Attached: project_goals.png (1129x391, 70K)

>being this much of a tranny apologist
I bet you love niggers too

>How about you just use your computer and stop caring about what a bunch of retards think?
you're right, I'll stop replying to (you) from now on

Attached: 84f.png (960x760, 720K)

Attached: d0a.png (412x419, 7K)

>I'm not choosing my OS based on political reasons. I am choosing it based on anti-political reasons
Stay retarded

>GRBLLBRLBLRBLELRELBLELB

Attached: 664.jpg (558x614, 14K)

>GRBLLBRLBLRBLELRELBLELB
Ladies and gentlemen, Jow Forums

>Ladies and gentlemen

Attached: heh.jpg (1280x720, 78K)

Attached: IMG_20180925_003425.jpg (720x1142, 407K)

>42 tabs
>chrome mobile
What device and how does it perform?

chrome mobile got the shittiest update in its history two days ago (not him by the way)

What standard does dragonfly bsd use for C? Or does it just use GNU C?

Attached: im_programming_from_scratch.png (1280x720, 976K)