/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Stupid question thread.
Ask your stupid questions here.

>Read
→ → → → → → → → → → → → → → →

>search
>ddg.gg/lite

>redirect anons making their own threads with >GNU/Linux questions?
>PC building?
>Good, cheap, laptops?
>Cheap electronics?
>Windows questions?
>Where can I get Win10 LTSB?
>How do I activate Win10/Win7?
pastebin.com/smjvLZN4
pastebin.com/quC0gz4j
pastebin.com/gHCCFBkt
pastebin.com/4LvsAFk7

Previous thread:

Attached: 70.jpg (582x582, 68K)

Other urls found in this thread:

evaxephon.com/stream/stream
b00merang.weebly.com/themes.html
amazon.com/Jadaol-Cat-Ethernet-Cable-White/dp/B01B4908CK/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1537665359&sr=8-4&keywords=cat 7 ethernet cable 50 ft&refinements=p_72:2661618011
amazon.com/Mediabridge-Ethernet-Patch-10Gbps-1000Mhz/dp/B01N36ZKHX/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1537665359&sr=8-7&keywords=cat 7 ethernet cable 50 ft&refinements=p_72:2661618011
twitter.com/AnonBabble

first for Jow Forums is shit

I want to pound her from behind so bad

Is it true that you (for now) should stay away from rtx cards?
And is it (for now) just (maybe) snake oil, raytracing that is?

I know how to block all third party scripts in Ublock Origin, but i want to block all except one (googles recaptcha)
How do i white list this script?

I have 4 HDDs in a case for a RAID, they used to before read 60c, I replaced the front fan and it went down to 45-50c, now lately, it's spiked up to 60-62, I cleaned it out. I don't know of any other solutions or if I could fit any fans, where to place them

Once shit like DLSS hits entry and mid level cards you're going to see amazing performance boosts running 4k games, scaling argument aside, but currently there's no real reason unless you really like new lighting techniques or use raytracing in rendering

its not snake oil because ray tracing is the future of graphics but right now its not that useful. But I do commend NVidia for taking the steps for advancing the state of technology.

>The old thread has turned into back and forth shitposting

lmao

How come most questions aren't answered in these threads?

Jow Forums is full of technically illiterate teenagers. not that i know any better, i'm here for a question.

The trick is that Jow Forums is full of actual retards who don't actually answer things, this thread is to contain question threads so they can get back to benchmark shitposting and iphone shitposting.

cuz we are dumb

>this thread is to contain question threads so they can get back to benchmark shitposting and iphone shitposting.
and to Rustle people.

Somebody should just tell them Intel's drivers just don't like to downscale. AMD and Nvidia seem to have workarounds, though.

>Your downscaling won't work because your native resolution is too small
to be fair, that's a legitimately retarded answer, i can see why somebody would make fun of that

I need a QRD on why Gentoo ist das Überbetriebssystem

>>Your downscaling won't work because your native resolution is too small
It's a physical restriction. Down scaling always looks bad. It's just worse with lower resolution displays.

So i have findimagedups, it outputted a large list of dups, how the fuck do i get rid of them?

Looking shitty isn't a physical restriction, and downsampling like that is actually super common as an anti aliasing technique in videogames, programs like GeDoSaTo force it all the time.

I'm making a report for some project in rmarkdown. I'm using reticulate to insert python code chunks in it and execute them, so I can have the code and the results neatly arranged in some pdf file. So, for some reason, I cannot include my own modules inside the code chunks by using import. When I "compile" the document, I get an error about the module not existing. This doesn't happen when importing modules I have installed in the system (e.g import numpy). Why is this happening? How do I import my own modules in a python chunk in rmarkdown? I'm already on the same directory as the modules I want to import.

Expecting old hardware and old tech to perform like a gaming rig is dumb.

Do we really need to immortalize this "conversation" by dragging it into yet another thread?

I don't see it. A graphics card is a graphics card.
It's curious that it works when a 1080p monitor is connected though, that implies it's possible but just not an option in the drivers.

It's a 2d surface, so even a shitty intel GPU is capable of doing the downsampling nicely, but if the drivers don't do it, unless you're a wizard who can make your own, yer kinda boned.

Howdy frens. I want to install a free keylogger on my pc but everything I find either gets flagged by my antivirus or the site (cnet or the original site) has removed the download link. Any frens out there got what I'm looking for?

Attached: 901b4c871187c156559c01d901d7374d.jpg (900x1404, 172K)

uninstall your antivirus. a keylogger is inherently a virus as far as avs are concerned.

Maybe with some fancy 3D desktop software - back in the day I'd say RivaTuner might have an option for something like that, but alas.

Just whitelist it.

Android can do this natively, iOS actually does this by default, and so can Linux with some command line fiddling, oddly enough. I think it's just Windows being a piece of shit and requiring every graphics card to write their own fucking behemoth driver.

Read that Backblaze study, HDD temps aren't that bad. Keep the thing clean and dusted and if you can spin down the drives when you're sleeping, you'll be okay.

hue hue hue

>The answer is literally install gentoo

Attached: Are you fucking shitting.png (499x375, 52K)

>HDD temps aren't that bad.
Speaking as someone who used to work for a data recovery center, the most common, and most expensive, hard drive disasters we came across were caused by a combination of heat and cheap materials. It makes the arms warp, particularly plastic ones on 3.5", which then makes the heads lock, which (by policy if not necessarily reality), requires disassembly in the cleanroom to fix, thus buco bucks.

60C at idle is pushing it.

Ya might be into a new case, lest you can find somewhere else in that one to move one or two of those drives.

Are all Monitors with Displayport at least 1080p? I remember reading somewhere that displayport only output at least 1080p and nothing below that, is that true?

baaaaaaaaaaa

No, Display ports can display below 1080, and have no minimum resolution that I'm aware of.

Any good tips for selling consumershit laptops locally? I'm thinking things like
>low capacity SSD vs higher capacity HDD
>emphasis on muh quad core
>best balance of RAM and asking price
>calling eternal 1366x768 screen "HD"

The laptop I'm selling is an HP G6 from 2013

best program for notifying when a website changes?

>Backblaze study, HDD temps
You'll notice the Blackblaze study only tests temperatures from 15° to 30°. 60° is straight out of the "comfort zone".

...and a few drives die, even in that comfort zone.

Attached: blog-temp-seagate.png (560x682, 85K)

Projecting

>iOS can do it, iPhones run at the same resolution as the higher resolution models and downscale to reduce performance inequality
>Android can do it, it's a debug tool in ADB and often used by pajeet roms
>Chromebooks can do it (Based on Gentoo), and sometimes literally from the normal resolution menu
>Mac OS probably can, I wouldn't know because I don't know the taste of semen
>Windows can, judging by the screenshots in the last thread, but you can't turn it on because Intel didn't specifically code a customer facing version of this feature into their driver settings

Holy balls that's frustrating, no wonder the last thread turned into shitposting

Yes, 768 counts as HD.
Just list all the specs normally, you'll scare off actual tech knowledgeable buyers by being duplicit

>HP G6
That tells us nothing. They sell the 'G6' as a chromebook, or a PC with AMD, or Intel parts.
It's a piece of shit, don't waste money upgrading. Accept the $100 you get selling an old piece of shit laptop.

>Holy balls that's frustrating, no wonder the last thread turned into shitposting
Nah, it's because the faggot didn't like the correct answer.

i have a thinkpad x220 and its on a dock, the dock is locked on and i lost the key somehow, is there any way to get it off?

What does the lock look like?

The answer was right but for the wrong reasons, physical limitations have nothing to do with it.

>Intel drivers interfacing with physical parts wasn't the problem
Down scaling always looks worse, doesn't matter what gimmicks they use to try to cover it up.

I feel like you're trolling to get a response out of inferiority at this point, this isn't even the same thread

Yes, but mainly because futureproofing GPUs is a fools errand, and without that the performance differences don't warrant the increased prices. A good rule of thumb is to base your purchases off of what you can readily use today. Otherwise 9/10 you're wasting your money.

>concede defeat and let windows update
>update and restart
>boots up when finished
>black screen
>reboot
>attempts to recover previous version of windows
>reboots again
>flashes same recovery message at me for a split second
>reboots endlessly
Is there any way to salavge this or do i have to reinstall.

evaxephon.com/stream/stream

There was absolutely nothing wrong on getting an 1080 in 2016 or a 1080ti in 2017 if you dont intend to upgrade before 2020-2022, even if today it seems a bit of overkill. Specially if you arent from the US or EU and getting computer hardware is hard.
But trying to future proof today is a bad idea

The other day a windows update made my screen all flickery and I just haven't touched it since.
What a piece of shit.

didn't realize there was a new thread.

anyway, without actually understanding what i was doing, i tried to change the preferred monospace font family in fontconfig. now my terminal and file browser won't start. what the fuck do i do now?

Try making recovery media and using the "fix issues preventing Windows from starting" option. That's worked for me the past two times that's happened.

I think we're talking about two different things. It's often worth while to buy hardware that's a tier or two above what you need at the moment, especially if it's a relatively small cost increase. When I say avoid "futureproofing", I mean spending your money based on features that haven't proven themselves to be of value. Otherwise the turing cards don't have enough performance gains to justify what nvidia is asking for them, although if they're priced more closely in your country by all means take that into account.

It probably happens because local imports, like importing another file in the same directory, search inside the current working dir. So a running instance of rmarkdown, like started from an desktop icon, normally has your home dir als current working dir. So it searches your 'import name' inside of $home not where your script lies.

>AMD RADEON
>current drive: 18.9.1
>New driver available/recommended: 18.5.1
>optional driver: 18.9.2

What does AMD mean by that?
Which one should i get?

Attached: 1527104316534.jpg (2736x1824, 1.21M)

Attached: MDB_0349.jpg (3000x2000, 2.14M)

installed manjaro recently and so far i dont really like KDE, it has more choices than the ones i need and well its ugly.

already tried gnome and runs very slow on my machine,

what other choices that are very windows like? preferably xp like.

Is there really no way for me to recover a password-locked docx file?

Attached: Untitled.png (292x157, 3K)

look up the password in your password manager

Buy a lockpicking set. Check youtube for reviews and how to use it.

Can I encrypt a personal network server?

I stole this file from my girlfriend's laptop.

Return it jamal.
Or learn to lockpick.

They have 2 security pins in the mini docks so it will take a while.

Brute force it overnight somehow?

Someone with a penis is a boyfriend, not a girlfriend, user. Ask him for the password.

shit, i was hoping it would be something easy, thanks for the help guys

You are trying to lockpick a enterprise dock, ofcourse it will be hard, those were to stop people from stealing laptops.

Cinnamon is Windows-like out of the box, but it's also quite resource hungry. XFCE is far more lightweight (especially for all the stuff it offers) and very stable.
Both can be easily tweaked to look like Windows XP. See b00merang.weebly.com/themes.html

ill just look for the key again

I have been bruteforcing it on and off for a year now.

She's doesn't know nor does she want to tell me.

>I have been bruteforcing it on and off for a year now.
If the password is longer than 7 characters and unless you have a hash cracking build you are not really cracking that password.

Unless you've got a game or known issue that shows up in the changelog, stick with what you've got. If you don't have anything yet, use what windows recommends.

What is the typical search operator for isolating a single word?

For example, I want to look for books with the title of "Barry" and nothing else. Just books with the title "Barry" and not "Cooking with Barry" or "Fun in the garage with Barry"
Just "Barry" or nothing else.

Attached: 1535172267873.jpg (290x254, 14K)

try to boot into safe mode, recover somethin'.

Torrent I downloaded is stuck at 98% for a while what happens if I moved the file while incomplete will stil play mostly alright? Video file by the way

Hey Jow Forumsuys so i was about to install gentoo today on a new ssd i bought today and dual boot on my laptop, but looking at all this political bullshit, ive been trying to find a smarter answer to my dumb question.

Should i start learning GNU/linux or is it not going to be worth it after everything gets CoCked?

Attached: ichigo hotdog.jpg (640x480, 26K)

VLC will likely play it.

cool.

Attached: k1451976546815.jpg (768x994, 157K)

Trying to make a simple program/script that runs like this in Firefox:

>select a tab/open a new tab
>At 5:00 pm(user selected), open url (randomly select an url from bg music list)
>After 1hr 30min, switch to url (randomly select an url from the break time list)
>After 15M, switch to url (randomly select an url from gb music list)
>repeat process of changing urls after an amount of time (mainly 1hr 30min and 15min segments)
>can press a button or something that will add 15 mins to current or next timer (so I can have a 30-60min dinner during a break.)
>In the tab show how much time you have left and if it is break or focus time
>At 1:00 AM (user selected), end process and close tab

It sounds simple enough but I don't even know if I am using the right tools. I have violentmonkey installed on firefox currently but I am not sure how to run a script on a single tab. My experience with programming is in Java mostly so script stuff is pretty new to me. Mainly just need to be pointed in the right direction such as if I should do this as I currently am (javascript with violentmonkey) or if there is a better, easier way to do it. The coding logic is simple enough I just need to know what direction to go in to get started.

anyone?

Attached: 1535410466779.png (500x500, 46K)

piece of chinese shit overheats morso than it already does on that dock

intext:Barry

So lately my phone has been losing connection to my router a lot, but not saying it has and a wired device will sometimes say there is no internet connection when there is on other devices. I'm fairly certain the router is at fault but that's all I know. Where should I start?

TOSHIBA Laptop Qosmio X775-Q7170 Intel Core i5 2nd Gen 2450M (2.50 GHz) 6 GB Memory 640 GB HDD NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M Switches Graphics 17.3" Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit

I still have this thing. At a glance, is it worth upgrading?

I have a spare 250 GB SSD that'll fit. I was thinking of having it as a entertainment system/light photo shop/gaming machine. It's so fucking slow it's never useful outside of "holy fuck this download link is sketch, better download it on my shitty laptop first"

It's biggest issue is it god awful boot time and only 6gb ram. A few minutes to reach windows, a full 15 before it's actually reached usable speed even after I've killed every startup process and even search index.

Is it just too fucking old, or would it be worth Frankensteining a bit with craigs list parts?

It's slow because of the HDD.
Do a fresh install to the SSD.

Is there any way for me to view the IP addresses visiting a particular website that isn't mine?
Something like statcounter that i can view if the website doesn't belong to me

Attached: 1437609388812.jpg (1944x2592, 490K)

You'd have to have direct access to their server, or do a MITM attack between them and their ISP.
Both are illegal.

My computer has been freezing up lately, mouse unresponsive, everything stops, all sound stops.
Sometimes happens 3 times a day, sometimes doesn't happen for a week.
At first I thought it could be the PSU overheating, cos it turned out the intake was covered in dust. Still freezes after removing dust.
The CPU is not overheating.
I then figured maybe something is fucked with windows, because once i started up the computer and it froze at the windows logo screen.
But today when i loaded up the computer it froze at the motherboard screen where it tells you to press F buttons for boot menu and bios and such.

Anyone got any ideas on what I should try first to find out the problem?

Thanks. Follow up question, so under the hood it "looks" like this thing has an extra cavity for a spare storage drive, yet there's only connections for one.

Is this just a common thing? Maybe the manufacturer used the same chasie for multiple laptops?

>Maybe the manufacturer used the same chasie for multiple laptops?
Probably.

Reinstall windooze

I need a Ethernet cable for the computer in my room. I need to buy a long one that will go from the ethernet box all the way to my room. Should I buy this one that's 50 ft. but the speed is 10GB/600mhz. It's slower than the other cord, but the perks is that it's white, flat, and things to attach to the wall so it sticks to the wall. It would also be less noticeable since it will stick to the floor and the wall.

amazon.com/Jadaol-Cat-Ethernet-Cable-White/dp/B01B4908CK/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1537665359&sr=8-4&keywords=cat 7 ethernet cable 50 ft&refinements=p_72:2661618011

However, this next one is black and rounded. I bought a shorter version of this product, but it's hidden behind the TV Stand. It's 10GB/1000mhz rather than 600mhz, It's a 400 Mhz difference. It will stick out since it's black, but you would only see 4-5 inches of it since it will be mostly behind the curtain.

amazon.com/Mediabridge-Ethernet-Patch-10Gbps-1000Mhz/dp/B01N36ZKHX/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1537665359&sr=8-7&keywords=cat 7 ethernet cable 50 ft&refinements=p_72:2661618011

Attached: 1453280117025.jpg (500x675, 101K)

how do i know if im still banned from an irc channel?

can i use a pi to learn linux i dont want to buy a whole new laptop

When you can't post in it. Stop asking this dumbass question every thread. Find a new channel.

Yes

>Find a new channel
how can i find a new Jow Forums channel where i can appeal my fucking bans?

well you don't seem to be banned right now since you're posting so what's the issue?

/mode #channel +b should list all the active bans in a channel. Some networks will only let you look at the list if you're in the channel though.