/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

page 10 lmao

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Search: qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.
*Many free software projects have active mailing lists.
*Many free software projects have an active bugzilla where you can check and report errors.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Previous thread:

Attached: 5c2e09600a6675de235c52505b9d0add.jpg (1920x1200, 387K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=IWJUphbYnpg
github.com/ContributorCovenant/contributor_covenant
wiki.python.org/moin/GuiProgramming
snoopsnoo.com/u/Kruug
snoopsnoo.com/u/CAP_NAME_NOW_UPVOTE
snoopsnoo.com/u/kylev
github.com/hackerb9/lsix
lists.freedesktop.org/archives/mesa-dev/2014-September/067864.html
github.com/LionSec/katoolin
systemd-free.artixlinux.org/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

muh dead OS

Qt sucks

GTK rocks!

I use Arch/Linux excuse me

Does this idiot actually know anything about Linux?

youtube.com/watch?v=IWJUphbYnpg

What's the new Arch? What happened to Void?

You are excused. Live long and prosperous.

nope
just like tom cruise really isn't a super spy person either.
both are actors.

I can't decide if it'd better off going for the stability meme with Ubuntu, or a little more up to date with Manjaro

Manjaro so far has been plenty stable for me. Only issues I've really ever run into are from AUR stuff.

>What happened to Void?
project leader realize he was bloat too and disappeared.

do people use i3wm?

i doubt it

Just us robots.

I used to. Found out I like BSPWM better.

Ready for Linux to get really shitty?

Attached: ted.png (574x299, 69K)

delete this. .. this image is sexist and mysogonystic. it body shames the lgbtxyzabc community.

The L in LGBT stands for Linux

Attached: lina.png (1920x1280, 2.15M)

/fglt/ needs a code of conduct to deal with toxic people like this. I propose that we adopt the contributor covenant.

github.com/ContributorCovenant/contributor_covenant

Honestly I don't care much whether there's a code of conduct because it's fucking software development, not like it's Jow Forums or something.
But those kind of people are just fucking annoying. Does anyone really even take their little word games seriously anymore?
>rape apologist
I mean, who in this day and age reads that and isn't already 99% certain that it's just meaningless slander without even having to know what it's about?

I can't believe Linus fell for their bullshit. I bet he takes a few months to clear his head and then comes back saying
>What the hell was I thinking? You're all fucking nuts, gtfo!

So I'm sitting on a relatively new gentoo install. My cat just died from a freak accident and I need a project to bury myself in.
Was considering learning python, give me ideas for my first python project. No hello world crap, the more involved the better

Attached: Screenshot_20180921_162545.jpg (1920x1080, 243K)

Fuck I hate the GTK3 filepicker.
Say what you want about locating files, but when it comes to SAVING files the search feature is absolute unquestionable trash.

If I want to save files in my "g" folder and I do a search for "g" it pulls up every goddamn file on my system that has the letter g in including every jpg and png file on my machine (and yes I have sort folders before files checked, but the search doesn't obey it, and that's not even mentioning how inefficient and slow it is to list every fucking jpg file)

Ever since the switch to GTK3 I notice I just tend to save all my files directly in $HOME thinking I'll sort it out later. I feel like I'm back on Windows just mindlessly dumping shit on my desktop.
Now I have to spend the next 30min sorting all these files again because my well thought out highly structured organizational system is rendered useless by this piece of shit filepicker every time I want to save an image from Jow Forums.

By contrast, here is how I used to save files in my "g" folder
>
Fucking simple. Now I have to manually eyeball sift through 100 fucking directories like a tech illiterate retard if I want to actually find the right directory.
Remind me again how the redhat developers know what I need more than I do?
Remind me again how many lines of code it takes to implement typeahead? 4? 5?

Attached: 1510124772816.gif (492x376, 339K)

okay so I have a question, If I have a 60 gb ssd and a 300 gb hdd on my thinkpad and I decide to allocate 25 gb for the root partition on the ssd, how do I make the rest of the ssd usable as well given that my home partition is my entire hdd?

why

make a webscraper like everyone else

make a goodbye world script
then kill yourself

Install gtk3-mushrooms, it restores most gtk2 functionality.

I might look into that. Thanks.

make a gui for something

which one uses a c with wannabe c++ templates? i think its gtk, qt uses proper c++ right?

How the god damn fuck do you tell chromium to use icu?
I've tried
[icu]=icu
ALSO
[icu]=harfbuzz-icu
AND
-path './third_party/icu' \

But it never fucking puts icu in //base/icu. Always bitching about all the files its missing. What the fuck else can do to force it to use system icu?

Yes, with Plasma. It's comfy.

Make a python compiler

there are python gui bindings? what are they?

python comes with tk bindings and you can get most if not all popular gui toolkits through libraries.
Here is a list of gui toolkits available in python:
wiki.python.org/moin/GuiProgramming

glib can do some pretty magical stuff, but it doesn't use templating.

vala, on the other hand, was an attempt to kinda do that, but it's not really use that much

gparted and a steady hand

Why my apps close when I close their terminal?
>open terminal
>type krita
>krita opens
>close terminal
>krita closes
Do you have to keep a bunch of terminals open next to your apps?

use

krita &

to separate the process from the terminal

you could also launch them from your desktop environment

You can also do something like "krita&exit" to open it, detach from terminal, and close the terminal all at once".

like a normal human being

What's the fastest way to convert a bunch of pngs inside a folder to jpgs, while also keeping the original pngs intact? Preferably if I can control the quality levels (95%, 80% etc)

>krita &
>krita&exit
this onbly works if you close the terminal using exit. If you want the process to run after you close the terminal window (e.g. by clicking the red x) you have to use nohup krita or krita & disown

Use nohup. Have something like
daemon() {
(nohup "$@" >& /dev/null &)
}
alias mpvd='daemon mpv'
in your bashrc. That just kicks you back to the prompt without any further output like the program was set up to autofork.

Nohup... or just run in tmux or screen.

mogrify -quality 95 -format jpg *.png
Make sure the quality parameter comes first or it won't work.

Forgot to mention that "mogrify" is a part of the imagemagick package, which you might already have by default.

Hey Jow Forumsuys so i was about to install gentoo today on a new ssd i bought today and dual boot on my laptop, but looking at all this political bullshit, ive been trying to find a helpful answer to my dumb question.

Should i start learning GNU/linux or is it not going to be worth it after everything gets CoCked?

Attached: N1ik6.png (800x450, 309K)

The political bullshit does not affect you as user yet.
Except if you want to contribute your CoC like the other guy did.

I can't tell if you're trolling or serious.
Say the coc bothers people so much that they no longer want to use Linux en masse, you know all that will happen is they will fork the project right?

> Should i start learning GNU/linux or is it not going to be worth it after everything gets CoCked?

nope, sounds like you should stick to incel-approved projects.

Here are the Reddit trash mods most aggressive in stifling any questioning or criticism of the CoC fueled hostile takeover of Linux

snoopsnoo.com/u/Kruug
snoopsnoo.com/u/CAP_NAME_NOW_UPVOTE
snoopsnoo.com/u/kylev

kyle and kruug basically post their entire lives online and don't remove any past posts from their accounts

I can do advanced fizzbuzz in 20 different languages but I haven't been able to write a single useful program or library till now. this really angers me. I only write meme shit that is extremely specific to my use case and irrelevant for anyone else

how do I find free software projects to contribute to? I DO NOT want to pleb shit like maintaining wikis and shit, I want to do programming work.

Hey, at least he is being finally honest.

Attached: 2018-09-03-183255_2560x1440_scrot.png (2560x1440, 1.31M)

No, use Ratpoison and be a man.

This.

>tpicview
Wot about this github.com/hackerb9/lsix

You pick anything at all that interests you and needs improvement, then you implement this improvement and send a pull request or patch or whatever to the respective team.

who's the hottie

me

You are a sexy cunt m8

I want to stick my pee pee on you

Attached: 1509501291335.gif (400x300, 289K)

Wanted to write an image viewer for terminal and didn't know about sixels

Along Regis sixels rock, there is a modified GNU Screen that makes sixels work on the TTY, no X needed to view pictures or watch videos on the terminal. Is insane.

is there something like mupdf, but for doc and docx files? i don't want to open libre office every time

Unfortunately not real. We still have to make 'em that way.
Just some artwork by Yamashita Shun'ya.

You can use catdoc to just see the contents of doc files or conver doc(x) files with pandoc to OpenOffice formats and view them with WordGrinder.

Time to make anime real.

Attached: put the money in the right place anon.jpg (640x1002, 86K)

so an option I found useful was intentionally removed by the cunt devs:

lists.freedesktop.org/archives/mesa-dev/2014-September/067864.html

Now I have no way to force the game I play to use AA, since there is no in game option

I had better open source graphics in fucking 2012 than I do now

Stupid cunt

do cat girls hear more than humans? they have 4 ears after all

Those ears are for grabbing when fucking from behind.

makes sense

Attached: 1484188474074.png (251x201, 8K)

> Time to make anime real.
Until we get there: Do they have something like waifupaper engine with animated waifus, but for wayland?

Abiword should be faster.

Tried installing some android apps with shashlik. None worked, that shit fucking sucks dick.

Anbox works fine though, recommended.

Attached: 1528094826067.jpg (400x400, 52K)

DEVUAN

its not for a waifu game you cunt

Mistaken reference, I meant You do your thing with the surplus AA option they removed because it broke like pic related. Patch it back in or whatever you need to do.

Attached: soup.jpg (1800x1274, 840K)

Is there a universal way to disable all man/doc/html/references/examples/etc during build time?
I'm cross compiling for android and i dont need all of that bloat

From which program? Some include an option to ignore manpages during compilation.

>stability meme
at least do it right and use CentOS
>up to date meme
at least do it right and use Debian Sid

Literally every package on the system.

Fellas I narrowed it down, I'm gonna use Kali for pen testing. Ubuntu for gaymes and I don't know if Debian Stable or CentOS for my main university os.
What does Jow Forums recommend for stability, up to dateness and security? Taking obviously first security, second stability and very last bleeding edge. I don't see clear if Debian or CentOS is more up to date, I want the newer compilers most of the time, since I want to be able to compile git code.

Good for you but
>Kali for pen testing
github.com/LionSec/katoolin
This way you can have all the tools from Kali from any DEB based distro like Debian or Ubuntu.

How experienced are you with GNU/Linux? If you know how to compile then fuck stability, you make your system stable by either keeping compatibility or not having conflicting packages. For bleeding edge and security the source based distros are the best.

>stability, up to dateness and security
Arch.Set aside an hour on the weekend to update the system(Not that you need a whole hour). Use timeshift to setup managed backups and should anything fuck up you have a system image to restore to.
Selinux is doable on arch but kinda fuckey but apparmour+firejail is a very nice combo. You dont have to patch in apparmour anymore either, so just install the userland tools and you're set.
>games
Arch has the latest graphics drivers and has the latest proton as a system lib.
>newer compilers
Its very easy to setup llvm+clang and just use an export to enable clang or you can use the programs build config to point it to /usr/ for the toolchain.
Or create a custom toolchain and point everything to it
Meme's aside, arch fits in all these categories and will be a good fit.

Dead OS? Dead? Seriously? I just spent all day on a laptop with a dead os configuring a router that runs firmware derived from a dead os while following instructions on a phone with a dead os’s kernel. What was I thinking using this dead os?

Arch is not the same good ol distro it was when it lost its inits. Is pointless to use it since then.

No. But Gentoo is pretty well-prepared to do that with -doc. Figures you delete the man pages or whatever remains after and you're done.

>pentesting: gentoo
>Vidya: gentoo
>University Os: gentoo
>microwave: gentoo
>brain: gentoo
>universe: gentoo

sed -i 's/gen/pen/g'

I don't think that is what he meant.

Serious question, have you tried CRUX?

Well i havent tried CRUX, im happy with my gentoo but if decide to change gentoo probably im going to try to test make a LFS

You can have a systemdless arch, its as easy as replacing some packages and writing a conf
systemd-free.artixlinux.org/

I've tried a fuckton of distros and CRUX is one of the two that more closely resembles with a LFS install. You could literally use their package manager and their scripts in an LFS and you have a CRUX. But I am diverging.

I've never thought about what I've lost since I met CRUX, the distro from which Arch is based from. Is a sad sad sad fact knowing Arch had ports.

I know, but I don't want to have any distractions while using those tools. If it's wifi inspecting wifi goes out anyway. And having tools like that on the background is not that I see it as a vulnerability, but they are just in the way when I'm not using them. So I'll just have a partition for it outside of my daily driver.
I'm somewhat experienced reading manuals and troubleshooting by myself. But some git things I try to compile just don't get compiled with the recommended instructions. Also of you are bleeding edge you need something like , backups. But having to do that is kinda pointless, I mean if I have to study, open a xorg session with the docs I want to read, but it doesn't work, I'm just loosing my time there so fuck it, I need an os that I don't need to mantain. That's why Debian people contribute and maintain the package so that you don't have to maintain it yourself.
Ok I may will consider it as a hobby aside of CentOS or Debian, but only if the mainline in the source "repositories" is really as stable as Debian Stable or RHEL, heck I even doubt is as stable as Ubuntu since they have very few devs. And I love the Gentoo documentation, everything looks nice. Also, Tux may be a Gentoo™ Penguin

Attached: Screenshot_Firefox_20180923-160423.png (1080x1920, 219K)

test

Attached: RsBIqkO.png (1920x1080, 646K)

it only did that if the game itself had built in AA. You wouldnt need this option if the game had built in AA. You have to explicitly enable this option as an argument before launching the game

in other words, it only is a bad thing if you go out of your way to try and use it when you dont even need it
and now theres people out there with games with no in-built AA, which used to be able to have AA enabled, 6 fucking years ago

it amazes me that anyone thinks such REGRESSIONS are acceptable

yes as hobby (like most people call this a hobbyist distribution) is ok, you learn a lot in the process, also in the irc of gentoo (Freenode: #gentoo) they always help people it isnt as elitist as most people think, if you want to ask something just go to the irc

>I even doubt is as stable as Ubuntu since they have very few devs
Not so few, and I am not a Gentoo guy. Anyway, check on "ports", is an automatic way to automate compilation.