Tiling window managers are a meme

Get over it
>no intuitive design
>le meme productivity improvment
>overly complicated shortcuts
>what you see is NOT what you get

Let just stop this meme if you want a less bloated working environment just install Xfce or other lightweight DEs

Attached: abDEHy2__01.png (1920x1080, 645K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=SuY4DrQzU9Q
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

you ever notice how people almost never have web browsers open in their tiling window manager screenshots

I like tiling.. but it's better in the form of a terminal multiplexer.

When I want a gui application it's a browser, image viewer, etc. These things are more conducive to floating. When I want tiling, I'm doing things in my terminal.. but tmux already exists, so i3/awesome/etc don't provide me any further benefit as my terminal already does these things.

Attached: 0ick64c4pw901.jpg (2048x1151, 477K)

It seems like a subjective topic more than anything else. No reason in discussing it so seriously.

Why not just use a WM that does both, like Notion, BeOS/Haiku WM, etc.
You can have tiling, floating, stacking, sticking, etc. window pane styles all in one manager. You don't have to limit yourself to one exclusively. Never saw the point in that.

Because it would takes a whole new working tab just for the browser

LXDE is great. I use evilwm just because my laptop is very old and even LXDE takes a noticable bite out of RAM. Tiling is nonsense, terminals should always be 80 columns wide and at least 24 lines tall. Too many terminal based applications expect a certain terminal size and tiling breaks these applications too often to be useful for anything but screenshots. A container based wm would be nice, but it would require over and underflow to maintain proper terminal sizes and at that point you might as well just use a floating wm.

Because they are asthetically jarring beside the usual cli bling, and ugly in general

Or are you actually implying they dont work in i3 or something

The second you spend more time ricing than doing productive shit you fucked up.

I run i3 with a minimum config to pause/play my music playing on cmus. It lets me avoid using the mouse and just focus on what i'm working on.

If you're a brainlet who cant remember a handful of keyboard shortcuts that you'd need to remember on any other OS/DE, put down the computer and pickup an etch a sketch.

I may have played myself but I can't stand using non tiling window managers anymore after using i3 for so long.

For how long it took you for learning the basics with i3?

Traditional floating wm work just fine for me (xfwm, openbox, etc), anything I need to open in a terminal I will use with tmux.

> Get over it
You do. I've been using awesomewm fine for the last 8 years or so. Works fine.

>no intuitive design
Rather very intuitive actually.

>overly complicated shortcuts
I think I'm mainly using like 5 keys + 2 modifier keys. Dead simple.

It takes like 2 hrs unless you try to scratch config it yourself. Theres only like two dozen commands you need.

I use it on laptops because i hate both trackpads and lugging mice around

A couple days. Wasn't super comfortable with it for about a month though.

I dunno dude. I just spent a half hour playing around with the shortcuts.

Xfce is cool, but I like i3. Floating windows aren't hard either, it's literally mod+shift+space and mod+left click to move around.

I'm sorry my autism hurts you.

Attached: stop.jpg (225x225, 10K)

Your life is a meme

If you're like me, you have the browser in its own "tab" (workspace). Only when using it as direct reference or to monitor CI or something while developing it goes next to the other thing in vertical/horizontal tiling.

And well, a screenshot of just the browser would be kind-of boring.

The only area where i3 fails is at basic things. Sound buttons not working? Just add this to your config. Want to connect to an external monitor? Bing bang boom. Half an hour gone. Want notifications? Bam. Another half hour. It's time consuming, yes. But after you've got everything set up you're set. It's like tying your shoes before running a marathon. You ubuttoo users are still using velcro. (Jk. I actually use ubuntu and i3. Nothing works out of the box, even opening up settings requires an env variable change to open lmao. I still wouldn't trade compfy levels for anything else though)

Same here. Everything is just too compfy

Sorry, forgot your (you) :*

You do know how to reply to people, right?

>win key+left arrow
>win key+right arrow
All the tiling I'll ever need, with two 1920x1080 monitors anyways. But sure, maybe things are different if you just have one big-ass monitor. I don't know.

>No intuitive design
Subjective. What's intuitive for me may not be intuitive for you. That's one of the biggest bonuses, you can tailor it to what you're most comfortable with.
>le meme productivity improvement
Bullshit. Name 3 ways that it isn't a real improvement. Go on. I'm waiting. Having all of the programs I need on screen at once, sorted into workspaces by category is a huge improvement in productivity if you're not retarded.
>Overly complicated shortcuts
Only if you're a retard. You can literally set any shortcuts you want. Because I use vim a lot, my i3 setup uses vim-like shortcuts, which goes back to being intuitive. That makes it drastically more intuitive.
>WYSINWYG
How so? My i3 setup is exactly WYSIWYG. All of my programs are in workspaces with names and icons. If I want to do something with a browser, I click the workspace that says www with a globe icon, or press mod4+2 and there's my browser. Command line task? Click the sys workspace or mod4+7, there's a terminal window with tmux with panes for all of the system administrative tasks I'll need to perform. Watching a movie or listening to music? Click media workspace or mod4+4 and there's a workspace with ncmpcpp, mpv, and Plex client. And so on. It's very intuitive for me, and everything is exactly where you'd expect it to be just by looking at the screen and going to the appropriate workspace. Mod4+h,j,k,l moves the tiled windows around if one is too small and I need to change the size and reduce the size of the inactive windows.

i3wm and tiling is great. How do you use a floating window manager? Full screen everything, do you ever really set a window to top-layer to float over your shit? Windows doesn't even expose the windowing layers by default. Let me guess, you just alt-tab through all your windows.

Floating windows are just messy, tiling lets you use multiple windows in a permanent way and tabbing through workspaces becomes your alt-tab.

Don't forget you can always pop out tiles to float in i3wm.

You fucking plebians are just scared of keybindings, which are awesome.

Use tmux.

Same. And workspace abuse.
I have 10 workspaces for both of my windows, hotkeys extending from numbers to function row. As someone who has hundreds of tabs open, web bots, servers and databases running, windows vm and god knows how many projects going on, these really, really help.

I didn't actually switch to Linux until finding out about i3wm. I absolutetly love it. In windows I frequently got lost in all of this "mess".

have you ever actually used a tiling window manager

tmux is SLOW
i refuse to use it unless i need to ssh into shit

>tmux is SLOW
Eh? It's basically completely unnoticeable even on my old laptop.

@67763093

No, I don't.

>@

Didnt read the context before replying ...

is this the new desktop thread?

Attached: youAbitBaka.png (1920x1080, 2.07M)

To: 67763492

It's amazing how people fall for silly stuff like this.

you have to put >> before the numbers to be a quote, np redditors have a lot of trouble with Jow Forums syntax

like the other guy said, tmux is slow and buggy, so I just use i3's tiling
but sometimes when I need maximum efficiency, I use tabbed mode, with some of the tabs being tmux splits, so I can switch between browser, doc viewer, vim, etc...

Go fucking gatekeep somewhere else, you mongoloid. Some people enjoy tinkering for fun.

You madman

I'm working on making one that's intuitive and recognizes the existence of the mouse

check it out:

youtube.com/watch?v=SuY4DrQzU9Q

it will be available shortly

Attached: 1534487723206.png (2562x1438, 1.01M)

use dvtm for multiplexing and dtach for detaching/reattaching

>I am too stupid to learn few keybinds for WM
>I hope that I'll find more stupid anons so I feel better
ftfy
You're welcome.

Attached: npulb1hiyat01.png (989x741, 352K)

Is there a tiling window manager for macOS or Windows?

Yes.

Thank you.

Attached: screen.jpg (1919x1079, 940K)

at this point in my life, if i used a floating window manager I wouldn't make the decision to switch to i3. But since I hopped on the i3 train a few years ago, my brain is so hardwired to it that floating window managers of any sort give me cancer.

laptop: tiling
desktop: floating

change my mind

tiling WM is one of my top reasons I even bother with linux

share that pape

I love tiling wm's and miss them when I'm not using one, but I don't think there's necessarialy a huge difference in productivity. I hate using the mouse to move around windows and navigate when its easier with shortcuts.

I bet if you give it a week or so you'll enjoy it more. I dont understand getting salty over this just use what you want.

>I dont understand getting salty over this just use what you want.
And just where's the fun in that?

Attached: 1054678845662.jpg (775x594, 93K)

floating windows are gross
if you need a big window, just move it to a different workspace
have your workspaces on easily accessible keybinds
literally the peak PC experience

Actually, now I think about it I understand it a lot. I often get salty when I switch up some fundimental part of my interface with my computer and need to relearn things to be productive.

That's better.

mine will be

Tiling is fine but if you use emacs and tmux you don't need it as much.

I can't imagine going back to a strictly-floating window manager at this point. i3 gives me tiling and floating, but tiling is so much more efficient.

>just install Xfce or other lightweight DEs
> moving your mouse to a task bar to select another window and moving it back to where it was
> better

>>no intuitive design
t. babby duck

Tile wm is necessary on a laptop. Sorry if you can't utilities it's functionality.
Desktop yeah, don't really see the point.

Even on desktop, tiling makes it easier to get around. Keyboard control is just so much more precise

I want to get the most out of my limited screen real-estate without having to constantly be bringing up new floating windows and manually arranging them so I can see what's going on with every one. It's not even about bloat imo.

you are way too reasonable for Jow Forums. please go somewhere else

>>no intuitive design
False. When I use bspwm, every window is EXACTLY how and where I expect it to be.
>>le meme productivity improvment
False and True. It's not for everyone, but every time I have to go back to stacking it's slow as shit.
>>overly complicated shortcuts
False. You make your own shortcuts, so they are natural to you.
>>what you see is NOT what you get
False. What you see IS what you get.

>Let just stop this meme if you want a less bloated working environment just install Xfce or other lightweight DEs
I use XFCE for my parents' media box. Would never switch myself.

Been using dwm for 2 years now
Suck my ass opie

Thats why lxqt+i3 is the best. It just werks. No need to fiddle to get basic things working just change wm from openbox to i3

>How normal people use their PC while getting shit done
>Put their code editor in fullscreen
>that's it

Havimg multiple workspaces isn't wyiwyg

That's cool

my screen is too big for that

Attached: 1520806818913.png (1920x1080, 1.22M)

I3 users: do you really use specific workspaces for specific programs? I use only 1, 2 and 9 consistently for browser, irc and music player, and everything else gets adjusted on the fly. Scratchpad is a quick use terminal.

You usually want your browser in fullscreen so it's generally kept in a separate workspace...

Once you learn the shortcuts you can do shit at the speed of thought. You have to put in some effort though you bloody onions

>recognizes the existence of the mouse
DOA. Getting rid of the rodent is half the point of using a tiling WM.

SEETHING

>Jow Forums has to be bad by default
fuck off kike nigger faggot

If you unironically believe this place can be more than a mere shithole you are just delusional.

>xfce
>lightweight

no

Just use pygrid.

window managers already use the mouse though?

People like you are just terrible. I wish you would leave. Why actively promote bad habits.

not sure how lightweight they are, but it is easier to use, i finally dont have to waste time changing programs.

Stop glorifying shitty mongolian forums.

Just because something isn't considered outright bad, doesn't mean it's "glorified".
You're literally calling this place a toilet, the place you willingly come to discuss. Why can't you have a shred of decency. Why don't you stop glorifying wherever it is you want me to leave to, why not stay there yourself if this place is so bad. Why actively come here to shit on our boards and tell our members to leave. Where is the sense in that.

I just abuse tabs and workspaces. It works for me.

This. Pygrid (x11) or gtyle (gnome, works on wayland) or divvy (paid app from mizage, looking for alternatives since development seems dead)

>no - [ ] X on panel
>mouse
fuck off

Tiling is almost acceptable if you restrict the tiling area to a single floating container. Tools like rofi are usually better for window switching though.

I switched to openbox, after about two years. Sometimes windows would just get lost, which was fucking annoying.
Also menus are really comfy.

Some guy said earlier that he cannot use non tilling wm's after using i3 for so long and I agree with him, but I've been using xmonad instead.

It takes like 1-2 hours to adapt to a tilling wm and it works wonders.

Attached: really_makes_you_function.png (198x183, 7K)

>tiling wms
what is emacs bro?

> tiling window manager user
> doing work
> doing anything other than following instructions on the Arch wiki

Attached: 1535972239829.jpg (960x720, 79K)

Xfce + tmux + rofi

Best of both worlds.

This has not been my experience. My i3 setup on Arch has been in continual operation for... 6 years on the same Lenovo X1 carbon? Took me ~30 minutes to set up XF86 keys and suspend, but then I haven't had to touch anything since on that front after multiple syus

consistency.

Try not taking drugs before lurking Jow Forums

Attached: jamesk_acid-monkey_38572.jpg (500x752, 40K)

I've been using a tilling manager for years now. Using something else is a real pain.

Ok, OK, tell me what type of DE can help me control windows on my 14 inch screen with only a keyboard? Also shortcuts are intuitive, at least for me