/ldt/ - Laptop-as-a-desktop Thread

Who else here uses a desktop keyboard and mouse with their laptop? I just bought a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse from Wal-Mart last night and I now use those instead of my Thinkpad's keyboard and trackpad when using it at my desk. It's nice being able to sit back while typing.

I'm actually planning to hook up an external monitor to my Thinkpad as well. While at the dump I picked up a CRT TV with the classic 3/4 aspect ratio, which will make old OSs I have installed in VMs such as Windows 3.1 and OS/2 Warp that use that aspect ratio a lot more comfy. That's really why I bought the external keyboard and mouse in the first place. I still need to get a VGA-to-YPbPr adapter though, and I need to figure out which option in the BIOS to use to tell it to send video output to the VGA port, because the Thinkpad's BIOS setup program isn't the most intuitive one out there.

Attached: DSCN2519.jpg (1200x1600, 592K)

bump

bump, because once again this got buried in the span of a few seconds.

Nigga get a dock

Do you use a docking station or whatever is called?

Yes

Attached: 20180922_204420.jpg (4032x3024, 3.39M)

I've often considered just removing the lid/screen from my laptop and using it on my lap while it it has an external monitor, just to capture the best of both words.
I once saw an image on here of a guy who shoved a little ARM board in to an old IBM keyboard with the nav point on it. It had two plugs, power and display.

i did this when the screen burned out on my old acer. it worked well enough and reminded me of the c64 my neighbor's dad had when i was a kid. the problem was it got hot as shit. it must have been more taxing on the gpu to output to an external display.

Cozy his and hers laptop stations

Attached: 87B1516F-983A-4F36-8C57-A1B3350A1820.jpg (6984x3194, 3.16M)

R8

Attached: IMG_20180909_204001.jpg (3456x4608, 3.49M)

Hey, I see an SBC there, rpi? In all honesty SBC's are going to kill the desktop computer thanks to 4K video and connection to Smart Tv's. From then on is all going to be laptops

Get smaller frames for those two images closest to your laptop. Shadows ruin the composition. Overall comfy/10.

this booru reminds me of poop

R8 m8s
Beautiful colors

Attached: IMG_20180924_061233.jpg (4000x3000, 3.85M)

suspension Bondage/10

It's probably not worth it if you have a shit laptop

I have a gaming laptop with GTX1070 so hooking it up to monitor + mkb made sense

>gaming laptop
nigga u gay

>luddite spouting dated memes

you're a dumb parrot if you don't think desktop replacement laptops don't exist

They do, and they're not gaymen machines.

gaming has been pushing technology for PC since the start

stick with your shitty integrated graphics thinkpad

This is what I setup for my mom. Dock for the t60 is worth it and the computer runs fine for her use

Attached: IMG_20180924_034926-1296x729.jpg (1296x729, 138K)

Gaming is mostly consumer shit, which is an astronomically tiny portion of hardware sales

Don't those sliding shelves for keyboards clatter as you type?

Yeah I use my T420 as a desktop.
IMO it's much more aesthetic for the room , take less space, uses less power.
At work I use my phone + USB C to HDMI adapter + DeX mode + wireless keyboard/mouse.
And it does the job for me which is watching videos, reading PDFs and browsing.

Attached: canvas.png (640x360, 521K)

I thought laptops doen't work when the screen is off?

Just change the trigger from the screen closing to "blank monitor" and it works.

I meant the laptop doesn't power up when the screen is physically separated.

3 months ago I poured soup on my laptop. Brought it to repair shop the next day. Keyboard malfunctioned so I asked the repair guy to disable it. Used a keyboard connected in USB port. Repair guy told me that the soup might damage the power cord to the LCD. LCD start flickered and died after 3 weeks. Connect an external monitor to the laptop. It's pretty much a desktop now.

>that prop to chop your fingers when you reach for something

wow operating a laptop using separate input peripherals such as a mouse and keyboard?!? what an ingenious idea
did your favorite youtuber upload a guide on how to do this just now??? thats epic

Calm down, baby.

my time to shine, i guess

Attached: 1537550524422.jpg (4160x3120, 3.22M)

The thing that bothers me in all of these threads that show people's rooms: why the heck everyone has no space in-between screen and their seats?
Like don't your eyes hurt from sitting so close to screens?

also almost nobody besides OP and seem to actually use their desks for anything besides computers.

I did open this thread hoping to see desks of reasonable people considering /bst/ are for teenagers.

We need something like room threads from /cgl/, to share GOOD room ideas.

Yeah, this works great. I'm using a Corebooted ThinkPad T400 as my main machine. It's hooked up to a docking station under my desk. I have a USB mouse, PS/2 keyboard, and VGA 1280x1024 LCD display hooked up to it. The battery acts as a sort of poor man's UPS that can keep my machine running for several hours when I get a power outage. I've had no issues so far except that both displays would come on at boot time and at the login screen, which was a pain in the ass. So since I'm using Linux and BSD and I've just configured my system-wide xorg.conf to look like this

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "laptop panel"
Option "ignore" "true"
EndSection
Section "Monitor"
Identifier "big display"
EndSection
Section "Device"
Identifier "onboard"
Option "Monitor-LVDS-1" "laptop panel"
Option "Monitor-VGA-1" "big display"
EndSection

That shuts off the internal display unless VGA is disconnected.

Attached: 37745148_716756475340089_7651820194460860416_n.jpg (305x305, 15K)

in my experience laptop hardware has pretty shit support with Linux/BSD. even in the ideal scenario, battery life + suspend/resume is going to be shit
pic related is smaller than a laptop and has excellent hardware support. I only really use a laptop as a thin client

Attached: serveimage-9.jpg (1200x1200, 92K)

That little box reminds me of the picture with the loli sat on the chair.

You know the one. Don't pretend you don't.

Hey that's me, I do basic electronics and the cutting mat is so I can put together small collages on canvas. If it was a bigger space I'd be using it for more but 1bedrooms going to 1bedroom. Half the reason I got a split keyboard was so that I have something I can move off to the side while I'm working on other things.

The other thing to consider is that if you have your own house or larger living space you probably have other areas that you use then your computer desk. My grandfather had a separate place for his old IBM compatible separate from his main office. Turns out DOOM was a productivity killer.