Rust thread

Name one thing wrong with this perfect language (lol C++ sucks), without saying the words CoC or SJW.

Attached: 1200px-Rust_programming_language_black_logo.svg.png (1200x1200, 56K)

Other urls found in this thread:

marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=151233345723889&w=2
openbsd.org/63.html
benchmarksgame-team.pages.debian.net/benchmarksgame/which-programs-are-fast.html
docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScS-OV8nlaCYD1GKRaEoD1TGv0joeFgTFzBG2yv-R0EblqEbQ/viewform
github.com/thepowersgang/mrustc
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Compilation time

syntax

Lack of C++ interop. The way mozilla is doing it is pig disgusting. See Obj-C++ for the correct way.

Lack of inheritance or Rank-N types/HKT/Dependent types.

marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=151233345723889&w=2

rust btfo

Ownership.

blaming languages for unsafe pointers is like blaming condoms for unsafe sex.
>the language should have prevented this
>the condom should have put itself on
it's not surprising that the perpetual self-proclaimed victims of society flocked to a language that absolves all personal responsibility.

>ripgreps behind you
Nothing personnel

Syntax looks like someone was given the task of producing something worse than C++ templates.

Borrow checker is a pain, but for the goals of the language it is at least a understandable choice.

Overall it's a sprawling language, everything and the kitchen sink is implemented, as usual when a language is designed by a large committee in turn largely based in academia.

It isn't C

No const generics yet. No constexpr equivalent.

I don't see anything wrong with it, in fact it's the most comfy language I've ever used

my only complaint is that I don't really understand lifetime completely, I am used to just have multiple references to objects without even thinking about anything, now I can't do anything really useful with Rust because I can't have multi mutable references to objects, I know there are hacks like RefCell and all, but I want to have multiple mutable native references to objects

Attached: 1500156411520.png (640x640, 824K)

.unwrap
.into
.outo
.map
.expect

is that supposed to be a bad thing?

Jesus that's brutal

Syntax looks like roadkill.
Unsafe blocks are required to do anything serious.

what is it with rustfags and being unable to check the catalogue?

See cgo for the correct way.

>Lack of inheritance
And that's a good thing.

Lack of HKTs is not.

bad analogy
bad post

I assume that's mental masturbation.

Shoo, blublet.

yes, for a low level systems language syntax is supposed to be transparent and clearn, not wrapped behind some abstract .into and .outo() calls

>rust cannot even compile itself on i386 at present time because it exhausts the address space
Ok now that's bothersome. Any idea why?

I like Rust, but the biggest problem is lack of embedded toolchains. If I can't test stuff in QEMU then it's a pain in the ass (not to mention expensive) to do basically anything.

>Unsafe blocks are required to do anything serious.
you exposed yourself, shill
get out

>because it exhausts the address space

The community is annoying.

No way to compile it from another compiler, which makes it mandatory to trust a binary compiler the first time. Compilers with backdoors that live on can work, there are working examples of that.

unwrap().unwrap().unwrap().unwrap()

I feel so much safer now that I don't have null pointers

Fags

Borrow checker.

> Overall it's a sprawling language, everything and the kitchen sink is implemented,

Except that there are no stable useful libraries. Seriously, try to find a working IMAP crate. You won't be able to. In Python there's an imap package in the standard library. Even in Go there's useful packages lying around.
Rust has nothing *practically* useful in the stable language (other than many different type and trait definitions that are probably interesting to theorists) and the crates are a complete shit-show.

I just use it for concurrency. So the single part of my program that requires lock free concurrency is written in Rust, and everything else is Common Lisp

It gets compiled away you dummy. When you learn to use your brain it's completely transparent.

>Syntax looks like someone was given the task of producing something worse than C++ templates.
It looks almost exactly like C

Meanwhile, rust compiler is included as a package in OpenBSD 6.3:
openbsd.org/63.html

Because the rust optimizer produces faster code than C, but there's a cost that comes with that (the optimizer uses a lot of memory during compilation).

It's a new language and it will take time for everything and the kitchen sink to be included as a crate. Meanwhile, the fact that it reliably produces executables which are faster than C and have fewer bugs counts for a lot.

it doesn't. Rust programs are almost always slower than C and C++ programs, although not by very much.
benchmarksgame-team.pages.debian.net/benchmarksgame/which-programs-are-fast.html

How is rust any better for concurrency?

Rust is pretty strict about thread safety. You can't have multiple mutable references to an object even if you're not writing a multithreaded program.

I know about that and it seems absolutely absurd if you aren't constantly sharing pointers between different threads.
Also the post mentioned "just the part that needs to be lockfree". That can't be more than just a couple dozen lines, and should be totally oblivious to the language of implementation.

>name one thing wrong with cancer without mentioning chemo or dying
sage
mods, delet this thread

Every Rust thread has a bunch of clueless butthurt Jow Forumslacks whining about things they don't understand. It's pathetic.

The only progrtthat runs on it has massive memory leaks ie Firefox

I'm a Jow Forumsack and I think Rust is one of the best programming languages ever created.

The small number of Rust components haven't had a single memory or security related issue. All memory related bugs have been in the C++ parts.

1) Smaller sample size
2) Since the Rust things are reimplemented versions of the C++ sources, perhaps they are more well thought out the second time

Of course it's included, how would you build firefox quantum without it. But it has nothing to do with base system.

Nobody said Rust was perfect, but from the context of this thread he was trying to blame Rust for problems in Firefox's C++ code.

>without saying the words CoC or SJW.

Entryism and cultural Marxism.

>We won't put a horse into the source tree when
society lacks cart builders.
Did he get a rapid stroke?

> nothing is the language's fault
> all languages are created equal

You sound like the special type of retard that likes dynamic typing.

It isn't needed. It's trying to replace C/C++ which has already been done by Java and C# and they are being replaced slowly by newer versions of those languages.

The only reason C/C++ are even brought up in 2018 is because of the massive amount of legacy (or application) code that exists within most large companies. It'd be too expensive or time consuming to rewrite it, so people are still hired to work around it even though these languages have had their day.

As it's the fashion of just about every tech company to have their own language these days (probably so engineers are secured jobs in case of mergers or people can't develop projects then take it out of company), Rust is just another Go or OCaml.

rust is a far newer language than something like go and many people are writing crates for nightly because nightly has some nice features that aren't quite stabilised yet, while this doesn't change anything if you can only work with stable languages/crates it doesn't mean that nothing is going on with rust or that it has nothing to offer

it's slower because it's safer by default, you can write performance critical parts in unsafe code (with a fully safe wrapper) and if you absolutely need that 0.01% of performance you can extern c if you're so inclined
those benchmarks won't use unstable features either which means rust doesn't have SIMD support in those benchmarks (SIMD should be coming to stable soon, probably this year)

>citation needed
Also LLVM's optimizer passes are much more lightweight than GCC's.

> rust is an amazing language
> still relies on c++

Yeah that's retarded

So when are Rustoddlers rewriting their compiler in Rust?
[spoiler]Not an actual question, we both know that's never happening.[/spoiler]

>lack of inheritance is a good thing
somebody doesn't know what the fuck he's talking about kek

Attached: 1471209315290.jpg (258x196, 7K)

>marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=151233345723889&w=2
based and redpilled

what would be the point

inheritance is inferior to composition.

>We won't put a horse into the source tree
If he was from Australia he'd put a crocodile instead.

It's not c/c++

Have you applied for your diversity ticket yet, user?

docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScS-OV8nlaCYD1GKRaEoD1TGv0joeFgTFzBG2yv-R0EblqEbQ/viewform

Attached: rfdiversity2.png (1198x300, 19K)

hi it's openbsd and nobody gives a shit because your meme language still has only a broken port

>Such ecosystems come with incredible costs. For instance, rust cannot even compile itself on i386 at present time because it exhausts the address space.
Holy kek.

Attached: 1506711963660.jpg (1421x2048, 639K)

To be fair, that was a year ago. Things are better now.

Oh great, so it went from garbage to pajeet poo.

Attached: front_end_devs.jpg (804x767, 64K)

github.com/thepowersgang/mrustc

Are major corporations gaining an interest in Rust at all or even startups?

Mozilla and the HN fanwank. That's basically it.

I see Rust has becoming a new C++. Complex and expert-friendly. It has already adopted several of C++'s design philosophies.

> Syntax looks like someone was given the task of producing something worse than C++ templates.
It's because the language at the beginning was being developed as a kinda OCaml "clone" and then they added C syntax.