Anything you could ever want to do, you can do in this language. You just have to be good enough...

Anything you could ever want to do, you can do in this language. You just have to be good enough, but that's your responsibility, not some fault of this language..

Attached: 1200px-The_C_Programming_Language_logo.svg.png (1200x1276, 77K)

THE C PROGRAMMING LANGUAGE

I agree, but when you need to take away complexity to create a larger project sometimes it best to go with a more robust language. You are not going to have the best of the best on every project.

and have a lot of time on your hands.

Are you aware of GNU, Linux, BSD, etc? All written in C.
>You are not going to have the best of the best on every projec
Sounds like not the language's problem.

You could spend 6x as long using C but why not just use C# and have it done in an afternoon? I'm not talking about drivers or kernel code here....

You are aware that if they were created today they wouldn't be in C?

Good enough for kernel code, good enough for everything else. Like I said, you have to be good enough.
Pff

> Good enough for kernel code, good enough for everything else. Like I said, you have to be good enough.

No kernel code needs to be as efficient and low level as possible since it can be iterated millions of times.

Doing something basic like checking disk space and e-mailing can be done very quickly in C# but how long would it take you to do it in C?

Ergo by avoiding C I can achieve a lot more.

why not use an elegant language like Perl rather than some Microshit proprietary shitfest

Because I don't know Perl, and C# does the job perfectly well.

based and brownpilled

I love all things Microsoft and you can run C# on Linux/Mac now too. My main goal when learning something was to use something that can do it all and with Xamarin I can make phone apps, I can use ASP.NET (C#) to make web sites and you can make games and so on.

I figured if I needed to know more I'd do so after I proved myself competent in _something_ at all first.

i love all things apple my main goal was to learn swift to become an app developer i use emojis as variable names, as there are thousands of them i never run out. if i do run out i create a new class.

Attached: 1526083381891.png (478x632, 681K)

Oof

Can't you say the same about Assembly?

Clang O3 writes much assembly than most assembly programmers.

Anything you could ever want to do, you can do in this language. You just have to be good enough, but that's your responsibility, not some fault of this language.

But that doesn't mean you should.

Attached: cnnilesaredelusional.jpg (369x328, 45K)

Just because large projects that use C exist doesn't mean that they would be best written in C.

yeah, but not at all portable.
C's strength is it's portability.

>c
>portable
really makes meow think

>what is ub

not to mention, all of id's 3d engines up to id tech 3 (and all the child games spawned) use c (or in carmack's words, more like c+).

In what language do you think they'd be created today?

Attached: hmm.jpg (1024x1024, 182K)

C++ would be a better choice for all of them. In fact, gcc has been rewritten in C++.
>inb4 bloat paheet hurr durr
Technical arguments or fuck off.

The portability of C depends on the programmer.
It can be made very portable.

I wrote a first-person shooter in binary. Took me 200 years but I have full control over the entire thing

Likely Go considering all of the original developers from Bell Labs are now at Google and created Go to be the successor to C.

How do I create a library that parses the content of a string literal and creates static data structure at compile time?

>his language of choice requires 3 syllables to pronounce
serious bloat famalam

I wrote C++ in C. OP is right.
-Bjarne

Use O2

Wrote an SDL game in C. Works on Linux, MacOS and Windows. Just needs a few #if’s. Really easy.
Once can argue that it’s even more portable that Java.

good work; nya~ :3

The current state of boomers...

Sure I love C, it’s great, yet for higher level stuff, I tend not to use it.

Anything you could ever want to do, you can do in this language. You just have to be good enough, but that's your responsibility, not some fault of this language..

Attached: hexdump.png (500x431, 24K)

What's up with this C vs C++ faggotry after all? Beijing Stormtroop and Dennis Ritchie made them in different times for different purposes.

Attached: beijing-stormtrop.jpg (1179x828, 889K)

>tfw somehow better at programming in C than C++
I don't understand it either.
Most the shit I do now is JS though.

The most security-conscious programmers in the world have still been bitten by C. I don't think a good replacement has come along for what C is used for, though.

They created a language that can create anything from basic calculations to operating systems.
It is truly not for a time where every person has the right to say that he is a computer scientist.

so... it's turing complete?

*slow clap*

>anything you want to do, you can do it in this language. You just have to be good enough, but that's your responsibility, not some fault of this language..

Attached: binary.png (738x478, 19K)

Is the book by Kernighan worth it?

Alright, make a web application server that prints Hello World 5 minutes. Go!

K&R C isn't relevant anymore.

Does that include the second edition, too? I tend to learn better from textbooks.

Yes

Programming is a practical skill; learn the basics and start writing programs.

Attached: lambda[1].png (673x398, 20K)