Lost Interest in Tech

Who else here has lost interest in tech? I used to love everything about computers and technology, but now we have:

>Windows 10 full of spyware, adware, and constant broken updates
>Linux community is tearing itself apart and still has compatibility issues with most software
>Internet controlled by handful of MegaCorps that censor anything they don't like
>Jow Forums sold off to greedy Jap kike that keeps piling on advertisements and tracking. Eternal summerfags and bots errywhere
>Video gaming basically dead except for a handful of indie devs (but don't worry, feminists are working to destroy that too)
>Security flaws, data breaches, and 0-days discovered almost every 24 hours
>Mobile apps are all garbage and just used to rake in ad revenue for Indians and Chinese
>ISPs constantly finding ways to censor and charge you more money for shit speeds (in the USA). Basically a monopoly
>GPUs snatched up by greedy coinminers the second they hit the shelves

It feels like we've stopped progressing and that everything is going backwards with no end in sight. I've considered dropping tech as a hobby because it's all so tiresome now...

Attached: sad-pug2.jpg (660x495, 73K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=EJB80Xsj5BY
cameronsworld.net/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

You left out where Chrome decided on the weekend to silently log in everybody using their browser, including Chromium, to mass spy on them even more.

It's all so tiresome

desu i hate technology but hacking is fun

Dark days indeed.

OP here, also forgot:
>Terry David and Linus taken from us
>Most accounts can't be made without providing personal info like phone numbers to """"verify""""
>Hardware with built-in backdoors for spying
>Game consoles that cost a monthly fee just to play multiplayer games that you already paid $60+ for
>Small websites being suffocated by mega-websites like Reddit
>Captchas that take 15 goddamn minutes of clicking on pictures of cars so that we can train self driving cars for free

It's like a really shitty cyberpunk novel at this point

And Jow Forums is literally just:
>Rate my Desktop with animu girls and flashy terminals!
>Nuh-uh! MY flavor of Linux is better than yours!
>Look at this cheap shit I bought from China!
>AMD/Intel shills on suicide watch!
>Expensive Clicky Keyboard General /eckg/

Forever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever

Tell me about it. The company I was working for shat the bed last month and nearly everyone (including me) got made redundant. The way tech is going I'm seriously considering a career path change once the redundancybux run out.

Attached: 1517654114819.jpg (565x862, 65K)

After working with tech all day, I sometimes dream of quitting my career and becoming a potato farmer or truck driver or something

>dont want to provide phone number for human verification
got a better alternative?

nail on the head. Basically anything that doesn't require you to be inside a sterile office building (they all are, doesn't matter how many fucking beanbags they have) and not plugged into the botnet 24/7

this
I'm seriously considering farming will be a better choice now.

I work in manual labour, some farm work and demolition stuff etc and I dream of working in an office doing something with software.

an internet license that authorizes you to use the internet for 3 years, and gives you a code you can anonymously use to unlock the intrawebz

My hobby is computational complexity theory and common lisp software.
Side projects, I write webAssembly video streaming software.
My actual job, is longshoreman where I'm outside most of the day and never touch a computer.

adapt me, senpai
i swear to god i'm a hard working man

Intredasting. I guess the grass is always greener to an extent, and on a cold winter's morning an office job is very tempting whoever you are. That said, the way tech is going it's getting more unbearable every fucking day if you happen to be a straight white male of average intelligence or above. You just get shat on from every possible angle. At least in your line of work the other people working alongside/directly above you probably have some vague idea of what you do rather than just being middle-management fuckwits or HR fags, and I doubt that any blue-haired lesbians have written CoC for carrying bricks up a ladder.

Went to Uni and got a degree in electrical engineering instead of computer science. Now I am a control systems engineer coming up with ways to automate tasks to replace the abundant amount of low quality humans who demand more money then they are worth.

Internet = big marketing shop

I've been disillusioned with technology for a white now, especially the terrible and shocking decline of the web over the last decade, but I can't bear just giving up on it for fear that it might get better after I leave. Some days I get home from work and dream of taking the Ted Pill.

Don't forget the increase system requirement to do even trivial tasks.

Oh, and this new classic:
>Verification not required for your next post
>Error: You forgot to solve the CAPTCHA. Please try again.

I remember when there were some good Android apps and games. Now all apps turned to a piece of crap, full of ads and shit. I don't remember when I installed the last one.

youtube.com/watch?v=EJB80Xsj5BY

tfw maymays from 5 years ago are disturbingly close to reality

are there any sites that recapture the magic of the old web?

You nailed it.

Space Jam.

Not really, because "the old web" only existed at all due to the dominant culture of the time. You can make the perfect recreation of a site from that time, but it will exist in a vacuum due to its separation from the dominant culture.

No, because the problem is that the people themselves have changed, not just the Internet.

Even if you fired up Geocities again, the websites wouldn't have the same innocent, naive charm to them. Sadly, the *chans are the closest you can get to the "Wild West" feeling of ye olde Internets

>he didn't rename C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Update to Update.disabled to stay on 68.0

Attached: crkill.jpg (657x94, 44K)

I honestly just feel sometimes like I should just do the Alan Moore thing and have a computer as little more than a typewriter.

Attached: moorepc.jpg (184x234, 15K)

>implying that it isn't a matter of time before GoogleUpdate can rename the Update file to re-enable updates on its own

>implying that Microsoft doesn't already do this with Windows 10 updates

the problem isn't tech or google. The problem is almost everyone is people are too lazy to do something about it. Reddit&co being dominant is only due to users going there instead of looking for better places even if they complain about it's quality. And this has been the state of things for over a decade now. I'm not sure if it was plato or another one but one of those brought up the idea that democracy only works with a decent population. If the population is a bunch of retards it fails. This has been the state of things now for a while.

Also, every informative website that you've been on is bloated with adds to the point the your computer runs out of memory and lags, and when you finally close all the adds to get to the content you needed, 100 fucking cookies are fucking tracking you

I find that the Internet is almost unusable without using an AdBlocker plugin of some sort. Especially when big websites like Google, YouTube, etc. don't bother to vet their advertisers, so they end up hosting malicious javascript and shit on their websites.

I also run my browser in a sandbox so that I don't have to worry so much about tracking cookies and malware because the sandbox clears itself every time I exit it.

>fucking Captchas that have slow fading images that take 10 minutes to solve

>you will find that if you look for the light, that you can often find it. But if you look for the dark, that is all you will ever see.

It feels like everything nowadays is designed for morons, lock them in and extract as much data and money out of them as possible.

Please let me know what "light" there has been in the past 5 years of tech

>meme curved screens
>VR
>handful of good video games
>powerful smartphones for $749+ for web browsing, texting, and Candy Crush

Otherwise, it's just slight increases in processing and storage hardware.

Again user, it's your attitude, just because a tech advance is made that you don't care about doesn't suddenly mean it's a bad thing.

When something good is made cucks ruin it.
>Wikipedia used to be free knowledge for all, now full of reverting admins who delete anything fun.
>Firefox used to be the hero browser that liberated us from Internet Explorer, now it's a chrome clone and threw out its superior extension system for web extensions.
>Linux used the be the good OS now it is CoC'd.

even in the IT industry, almost half of the job opening are some how connected with microsoft and its products.. its disgusting..

Just buy a burner phone on cash and use that number

To be fair it doesnt make it a good thing just because NPCs are happy about it. Like Netflix becoming faster is not relevant just because a lot of people would be happy about it.

and there are way too many trannies on this board

It's hard to believe that a decade ago even "heavy" Linux distros were lighter than XP, and now you get that light you basically have to have your computer doing fuck all. When did "minimalism" come to mean "it does fucking nothing but uses the resources as if it does"?

Where are you getting any phone without id verification?

While this can be used to stop most normies from pairing the # with your identity, I don't think it's possible to stop the botnet tracking you still. Don't they require your to register the #? And doesn't google track the phone's location which will identify you with the phone? I don't think there's any safe way free from government spying to own a phone anymore, that I know of anyway.

Get the burner phone as a dumb phone so it only has one number. Get the disposable ones. Buy it from a gas station/walmart with cash (do they require ID for this, I dont think so? Correct me if I'm wrong). Just use its number for verification but do all the actual input on another device behind VPNs.

I guess at worst if you have to do the verification in SMS reply, it could be tracked to the cell tower you send it at but if you did it somewhere different and far away for you and then disposed of the phone eventually you'd still be pretty secure.

Ya'll forget about security cameras and facial recognition software?

neocities

Wear a hoody, beard, sunglasses and make up?

I've heard of special hats/glasses that emit a certain light that will hide your face to cameras.. dunno that it fools all cameras though.

i know these feels

Attached: 1537373440224.jpg (3866x2908, 3.99M)

late_stage_capitalism . svg

I could have sworn they'd always require id, at least in burgeria

Buy it x days in advance. Gas stations don't store uninteresting footage indefinitely

As bad as it is now, it is going to be so, so much worse in a few years. China's social credit system will be implemented in the West by social media giants working together to suppress wrongthink. Say the wrong thing and they'll banhammer you from buying groceries at the fully-networked, fully-automated stores. Want to use an automated car? Better suck that globalist dick, buddy. Oh, you'll just drive yourself? Good luck doing that when human-driven cars are forcibly removed from the roads. Oh, you'll just walk? Enjoy having spikes rammed into your feet by your networked shoes because you talked shit about Nike's Kaepernick campaign.

The only hope for humanity is to burn it all down now.

As soon as I heard about that Social Credit shit I felt a chill run up my spine because I could see it happening here as well, and with probably massive joy on the part of the ordinary population.

I expect that the system will start assigning people MMORPG quest-like tasks and epics that they need to complete. The fun twist is that some people will be assigned mandatory antisocial tasks in order to keep crime rates looking good, to keep people in fear of one another so that the police states retain control.

It would also be interesting for everyone's score to be made public once every few months, to encourage competition and all of the good things that come of it.

It might be that you have spent too much time on the internet and what was all new and really interesting has become stale and boring while the content been pushed to a wider demographic of normies, making going online seem a lot less exciting since anyone can do it on their phone to look at their normie friends make asses off themselves and show off on social media.

it's called openbsd, it's the only sane OS

Your list is mostly politics and business stuff, not tech. Why would that stuff make you lose interest in actual tech?

I have a good idea about how to fix this but no good way to implement it on my own.

We need to build our own tools for a distributed network which is inaccessible without our software or a third party client. It would be sorta like Usenet but without file sharing. Let anyone host their own board basically where other anonymous users can post text. The whole thing needs to be text only. This alone keeps away all of the bugman normalfaggos who will cry about muh images. It automatically solves the CP issue by not supporting the file formats required to easily distribute it.

Attached: 4c1ee97dc3f5d695657a830dd260898e5d4de74c1037f10d74ddc0bb961c7a12.gif (1250x1666, 704K)

>It would be sorta like Usenet but without file sharing
That already exists--it's called UseNet.

>>Wikipedia used to be free knowledge for all, now full of reverting admins who delete anything fun.
Not sure what you mean, but as far as I'm concerned an encyclopedia shouldn't be 'fun'. Learning itself is fun. If you try to add extra 'fun' on top of the material it just detracts from the material.

in all honesty we should just re-make tor but with text only and html formatting

Get into homemade semiconductors. Then the only thing you depend on is chemicals and equipment.

i lost interest too. it's disgusting how lame tech has become and that the ones who know at least about tech became the "tech gurus". youtube's the worst crap. i think about baking bread, opening a diner or whatever shit comes to my mind.

well, I used to be sys admin, ad admin and it support, got bachelors degree in information networks and worked for local military as a civil working on their networks and doinbg it support for their personel using those networks up until I was like 23. by that point i had been in the tech circles for more or less 10 years, first as a literal script kiddie messing around with perl and whatnot, then being an internet native, regular here 2004-2012 and actively taking part in mmorpg communities both as a player and as an administrator-developer, staying up to date with everything going on in tech, then later on when the hobby became a job I eventually got tired of it and let my other hobby, lighting technology, to take over.

I ditched the IT 4 years ago. currently working as a roadie and running my own business. though I still sometimes read HN and this ´place.

6/5, would do it again, the office was boring as fuck anyway and

Attached: 82c9fe54a218fa828a1904ad75436af0.png (550x550, 49K)

this. this so much.

>concerned about privacy
>using windows

and ... ahem... customers.. were literal idiots without a clue about tech. yet those same people were running the military.

Ted Kaczynski was right.

there are lots of "credit systems" in other countries. everyone with political and/or economical interests has databases with as mich data as possible to learn from it. jeff bezos can tell you how likely it is if one particular amazon user will stop his times subscription or whether he is trustworthy enough for an instalment loan. google and co have unbelievable insight into our societies, economies, military and politics that they will be able to profit from us without us noticing it. by using their services and developing for their platforms we're building many pharaos pyramids.

¿Trabajo profavor?

>Oh, you'll just drive yourself? Good luck doing that when human-driven cars are forcibly removed from the roads.
Even if your car allows you to drive it yourself, they could make your life hell for driving it. They could tighten restrictions on having a drivers license, and revoke it anytime you speak out against some giant corporation, or make "automation only" lanes and times, so that you can only go to certain locations or drive out at certain times if you don't give control.

Why would they restrict human driving this much? With self driving cars, they could just remotely control it and drive it 60MPH towards a tree or another car, and then blame the driving AI for it.

>Not the other guy
Replace your social media feed with academic types like those in the machine learning field and slowly transition. At this point I read text books for fun and am would gladly do a math heavy PhD fucking around with Terminator shit all day.

based Ted poster.

I stopped giving a shit two or three years ago.

I honestly don't know why I still visit this shithole

To me, tech is about buying, unboxing (with Tina Turner in the background), fondling and installing new hardware. I am looking forward to buying an H700 next year, along with the LL120 fans, a Corsair Commander Pro, an SSD or two and cable combs for ebin cable management. After that I'll get a Sennheiser HD 600, a flagship 65" LCD TV and a PS4 Pro. Fuck man, who cares about software bugs and apps and shit.

Fuck, looks like the internet really is going into a dark age

Attached: anaturaldeathhorse.jpg (355x352, 28K)

Glad someone else is feeling the same way. Stay strong OP.

I know that feel, OP. It seems like for every step hardware takes forward, everything else takes two steps back.

Remember when Crossfire would actually scale close to 100%? Remember when game developers would be frothing at the mouth to use an API like Vulkan instead of stuffing their mouths with Nvidia's dick? Remember when SED displays were *this* close to coming to market, only to be cucked out of them by the financial crisis? For that matter, remember when phones would actually receive updates that improved performance for years after their initial release?

Shit sucks because the lowest common denominator gained unprecedented purchasing power in the latter half of last decade. You see it in other fields, too. Nissan for example was one of the worst offenders of subprime auto lending and their cars have been declining in quality for over a decade now. There's not much we as educated consumers can do anymore, besides get a bunch of rich people on our side to create our own economy, but seeing as basically all rich people are cucks and support this shit, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Same. What's sad is that if it wasn't for this place I likely wouldn't even really need web access at all.

I lost interest about 10 years ago ,right about when video games turned to shit and smartphones got popular,i was always excited about the future by now its here I want to go back.

>the whole thing needs to be text only
This sounds both retarded and genius at the same time. I would try making something like it but I'm too unskilled and lazy.

itt: zoomers entering adulthood

Maybe it's because I don't work in tech, but I don't get you guys. There's so much cool shit you can do in your spare time with tech. And so what if political winds are shifting and infiltrating the scene/corporations, anyone with a brain already knew it would happen.

Do plumbing or Electrical
t. Tech career was short and died early, not enough stability

This, although i can't be too mad at chinkshit since they usually stay in their own thread. Also all the Nvidia threads around the release of the 2000's series were ridiculous. For a board that hates "gayman" people sure won't shut the fuck up about new video game parts.

but the files in usenet are usually distributed as text too.

Tech doesn't advance and it never has. There is no natural progression.
Simplicity and minimalism is the answer, and everyone has known this since UNIX.
I'm going back, I'm installing 9front and I'm not going to bother with the shit show that popular and mainstream technology is going through.

Email (and some captcha if you're worried about spam)

no automated verification system is reliable. only manual is but thats expensive.

cameronsworld.net/

Attached: Untitled-1.jpg (948x481, 162K)

obviously. but most of the time such verification isn't even needed, though many companies seem to think that

>any blue-haired lesbians have written CoC for carrying bricks up a ladder.

Give it some time fellar.

youre forgetting about all the greedy startups that come up with some great product that would probably help a lot of people and make the world more fun but instead they try and become the next Google only to run out of money and completely abandon any work that they had done

Attached: office space.jpg (1280x688, 88K)

You'll be back. They always come back.

I know better than anyone ;_;

Nah. Womyn and trannys don't want eeequality when it comes to jobs that involve sweat.

>finally save up enough for my cabin in woods
>no more renting in the bugman cities
>West Virginia Code of Conduct Construction:
>You shall not vote republican and work in construction industry
>You may not build your brick cabin with real logs
>You may not build your plastic cabin without paying the patented plastic cabin company their subscription
>You must hire a several consultants and mandatory rent seeking npcs to sign papers
>Its really a hassle, why not use this big megacorps setup?
>they do all the paperwork, and give you an identical plastic brick cabin that everyone loves and reviews highly online
>watch youtube shills tell me to just buy it
>briefly, a youtube blogger puts up a video saying "it just leaks like crazy and is cold, not worth subscription"
>video immediately taken down
>special property tax fuck you law ensures that if you dont use amazon plastic cabin subscriptions you will pay much more in taxes
>West Virginia is widely panned as too conservative by the rest of the united states, not enough regulations