/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread - STOP WHINING ABOUT THE COC EDITION

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Search: qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.
*Many free software projects have active mailing lists.
*Many free software projects have an active bugzilla where you can check and report errors.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Previous thread:

Attached: 1 _NyS2QpYJRo-S8QacrBRxg.png (496x274, 37K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/vim/vim/blob/master/runtime/syntax/fstab.vim
vim.wikia.com/wiki/Changing_the_default_syntax_highlighting
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GDM#Use_Xorg_backend
spyware.neocities.org/articles/discord.html
gnu.org/distros/free-distros.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Let's say I have I have a folder full of 5 second long chunks of a video file. I want to play them SEAMLESSLY. Is there a video player for Linux that allows eager loading? If not, what else can I do?

Attached: 1536608308042.jpg (960x960, 70K)

mpv with autoload.lua

Thank you.

If there wasn't such player, beauty of linux is you can MODIFY EXISTING

Piss off, tranny

licenses are just a type of CoC when you really think about it

how do I add a new syntax file to vim? is there a path where I need to paste it into? github.com/vim/vim/blob/master/runtime/syntax/fstab.vim

Is there a way to have a full screen video in skype while also having the chat box be a separate window? I cant seem to find a way to do this.
I am required to use it for work conferencing

>free software was created as a social justice movement
Kek

anyone use bitwig on linux?
installing a daw and asio is really easy on windows
how bad is it on linux?

Neck yourself.

Attached: 1499274043322.jpg (400x400, 91K)

so i've been using gnome3.30 for a few days now and i notice something funny, usually in x these days [at least with radeon] there is no tearing in firefox however sometimes in gnome there is a vertical chunk misplacement, weird stuff

Does this help you in any way?
vim.wikia.com/wiki/Changing_the_default_syntax_highlighting

Open vim and type
:set runtimepath
In one of the paths listed create a directory called "syntax" and drop your file in there.

wtf i hate RMS now

so, I want a to install gentoo, but on a machine that's offline. am i just better off using a liveDVD of sabayon or calculate and adjusting from there?

Attached: c6c0575be598bf696612b6976d78b24421f7621923e593dbb540c551164e1c24.png (709x756, 72K)

thanks. moving it from /root/.vim/after/syntax to /root/.vim/syntax worked

use WTFPL/Beerware

Don't, social justice didn't mean the same back then. It actually meant equality of opportunity.

It was to create free software, where you weren't slave to a company or a EULA. You could easily edit your programs without facing legal damages and the main purpose was to make a software environment for all users to edit, use and install.

how do I force permissions to stick recursively? I tried using +s but whenever I make a subfolder this has 0755 permissions (rwxr-s-rs)

They are too non descript that you actually cant do much with them by the law

I'm not sure I've heard about that issue, but when in doubt, avoid wayland and see if it helps:
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GDM#Use_Xorg_backend

For the record this is bullshit.

"Social justice" is the act of publicly shaming people into complying with your demands.
Free software wasn't created to do that (although they might use it on occasion I guess). And it's often a complete misconception that fsf, gnu, or stallman want to force you to not use proprietary software. They don't.
They want you to use what you want to use. It's just sometimes confusing because part of the problem they are trying to combat is "momentum" in which people end up using proprietary software just because "it's what everyone else uses".

If you aren't being passive aggressively forced to use proprietary software and taken advantage of for not knowing how the software exploits you, and you know that you still want proprietary software then they support your decision.

The ideal vision of free software movements is that your goto software is free and it should be robust enough to handle all your needs. But if you still wish to use proprietary beyond that then more power to you.

man setfacl
What are you trying to do exactly?

read the man

>software licenses about free use of code are OBVIOUSLY about identity politics and trans rights and ebin cis white males.
I'm not sure I see the connection

>linux
gnu

>Lua error: /home/fox/autoload.lua:92: attempt to call field 'trace' (a nil value)
wat do

>If you identify as anything but "human biological male with a anatomical penis" or "human biological female with an anatomical vagina" you are not allowed to use or modify this software.

oh I just rtfm, it's just a debug function. Still, it's not working

>If you identify as "human biological male with a anatomical penis" or "human biological female with an anatomical vagina" you are not allowed to use or modify this software.
ftfy
cis bigots btfo'd!

Will there be any video problems with running a virtualbox windows 10 vm and trying to record what is displayed using the host system(linux)?
I remember a few years ago i tried it with obs and all i got was a black window and a buzzing sound when i recorded.
Can i used simplescreenrecorder or obs to record the video inside the vm from the host machine?

I must have missed that part of the GPL.

My software my rules.As stallman has made so adement over the years

virtualbox has integrated recording since ages and it works quite well. Assuming you just want to record and not broadcast.

Does
mpv *.mp4 --merge-files
for example, do the trick?

bitwig runs great and supports native vsts well. same with renoise. I've never had any problems getting audio or midi to work with either of those

I'd say its been a good 4-5 years since i last used virtualbox. I see the settings now but i dont necessarily want to record the entire screen, but rather a selected window.

>implying the mentally ill couldn't use or contribute to Linux before

There is mentally ill and then there are what we have now.
Stallman,Linux,Terry, they are all mentally ill in some capacity but not delusional retardation that is rampaging through tech and life now fueled by feminism.

thank you for this. It kinda works, but there is a slight hiccup every 5 seconds. I'll keep digging.

I have no problem with mentally ill CONTRIBUTING to linux, but now it seems like they are calling the shots and making the rules.

and that's a good thing!

so, is there any point of having swap apart from sleeping function

mpv file1 file2
or
mpv *.mp4
works too, you could can read up on how to make playlists if you want to do more

WTFPL implies " dont be a dick". Well what is acting " like a dick" in legal ramifications? Its an interpretation that each person would have their own definition for. So its actually a very restrictive licenses despite the nature of the license and the authors intent.

it depends
if you have 1G of ram, yes!
if you have 16G, you probably will never use your swap

You'd be better off using zram then a swap file.

btw is sleep useful at all
isn't it easier to just turn it off

hibernate is kind of cool because you can turn off your laptop but have it save the state your computer was in

Why are "flatc" "brotli" " transport_secur" "top_domain_gene" throwing a segfault with "Code: Bad RIP value"? tailing dmesg everytime it happens the system locks upofor 2-5 seconds.
All im getting are kernel 2.6 bugs from 2007.

appreciate the reply, but doing so causes hiccups. I'm trying to find a way to eager load the videos - and to do so dynamically because I want to CURL more chunks in real time

Why isn't there a cli distro?
I'm aware most distros have minimal installs. But I want a distro with console based applications already installed, instead of building it from scratch myself.

Attached: 8wcM1Ul.jpg (700x979, 134K)

weird, I have no hiccups even on my shitty arm chromebook when loading videos like that

>i want this unique user environment that is counter active to modern usage. AND I DONT WANT TO DO ANY CONFIGURATIONS TO MY SPECIFIC NEEDS.

pretty sure the purpose of foss isn't to encourage kids to cut their dicks off

Use ffmpeg concatenate

yep, that's what I'm looking into right now.

opensuse and devuan both have "console productivity" metapackages, available right from the installation.

Well. You could try a server edition, most of the time they don't come with a display server. But why wouldn't you want a GUI anyways? Is it because Emacs does the job?
Anyways, modify: /etc/default/grub
change : GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash" to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="text" run cmd: "update-grub"

I don't have a laptop

Man ffmpeg is the greatest thing on earth.

Anyone knows the Discord server where the #comfy_talk room is?
See

tech newbie here if the coc is such a problem why don't the people who oppose it fork it and repeal the coc in their fork and continue business as usual?

Easier said than done, Mr. Ideaman.

user, I think he purposely obfuscated the name of the discord
don't be a creep

spyware.neocities.org/articles/discord.html

Linux has nonfree blobs.

Trying to compile coreboot on Gentoo and being told I should probably use an ada compiler, but I'm struggling to figure out how to get one. I emerged gnat-gpl with the bootstrap use flag but that doesn't chance anything, and I can't see an option to select an ada compiler in gcc-config either. What am I meant to do?

It'll come. When people are getting punished for "hateful" or "abusive" messages when committing there will be a drop-off in commits, since it is mostly a volunteer project. People just want to build a kernel, not being talked down to. For that they could go to their local temple/mosque/church/classroom. Since the project is made out of people, who REALLY doesn't care about all this American "diversity/social justice" babble, they will in the end do what they do. If some moral authoritarian fag decides to ban them or give them a "vacation", they'll just leave. It'll be a slow and painful death of a glorious project. It is the internet and they'll probably build another kernel under another name and add the gnu toolchains to it anyways. There are still alternatives to Linux out there without oppressive CoC pressed upon it. Let them keep their precious kernel and their CoC. But what made the kernel project fun was all the tinkering and sometimes getting your commit rejected with a hilarious message, and getting your revenge when the committer eventually fucked up somehow, but now those times seem to be over. Being under the watchful eyes of authoritarians was not the reason I personally wrote software or tinkered to begin with. Some of us did grow up under the Soviets and this bullshit is exactly what they did back then. Setting up rules of conduct, place some snitches in the crowd and see the mistrust spread through the community, eventually making people so afraid of each other, that they did what they were told. I wonder who they are going to "other" next...
You can still choose free versions of GNU/Linux. You don't have to install the non-free blobs.
gnu.org/distros/free-distros.html
The non-free blobs are mostly vendor based. Like the Nvidia drivers.

I like Gnome 3, what can I say?

Thanks, can't find any infomation on that for opensuse. The devuan metapackage looks nice, but I'm not a debian guy, so a debian splinter distro is not for me.

vim is king.

Why my kernel crash when I turn monitors off and on again with dpms with kernel 4.19rc5? Why would the AMD do this?

they clearly did this between rc1 and rc3.

>Bisecting: 71 revisions left to test after this (roughly 6 steps)
I'm gonna find out exactly who did this and hold them accountable for this MAJOR SCANDAL

Attached: amd-why-would-they-do-this.jpg (2954x1729, 1.18M)

So apparently after a reboot, systemd and audit think that htop is some violent rogue process and is killing it moments after launching it with no logging or verbose information.
What the fuck?

>they'll probably build another kernel under another name and add the gnu toolchains to it anyways

GNU/HURD 2020 confirmed.

>taeyeon kernel
where can I download this

Attached: 38726611_243389249653614_5636546995725271040_n.jpg (1080x1350, 1.88M)

>STOP WHINING ABOUT THE COC

Found the SJW. Ignoring evil is the same as enabling it.

you'd have to compile it yourself but that's actually a ChaeKyung (April) kernel, taeyeon's just the hostname

Attached: DZ_vgXWVQAAXJOh.jpg (600x960, 98K)

The answer is probably in the sleep states or the resume command send to screen. That's where I would look for the error. Run the diff on the versions of the source and find the difference. There pretty good programs Meld is good if you use GUI, colordiff is nice if on console.
True.. I use it myself.. long live wildmenu!!
cscope is a good tool, if you don't like to use grep -rnw all the time
It might be a worthwhile project. I'll check it out. It'll probably get a rush of new contributors.

[spoiler]Can someone redpilll me on the CoC thing
what is happening[/spoiler]

Basically Jow Forums using the CoC drama as instrument to shill their shit. Because Jow Forums is dumb as fuck, they don't realize that more drama gives the few SJWs more power and a larger platform.

Actually nothing happend really. Linux got a redditquette like many other software projects.

retards getting triggered that they can't call people slurs in commit messages

is it possible to change default icons in the top left corner? that default browser icon looks like MacOS one

Attached: bunsenlabs-helium-openbox-menu.png (1366x768, 503K)

politics being injected into kernel development.

What's the best backup program for linux?
All I need it to do is create a copy of my system and put it somewhere else, preferably in a compressed state

Mass adoption of WTFPL when?

Attached: r_1537799_gg4vs.jpg (800x1000, 141K)

Just a few searches on the internet will give you a severe case of the blackpill. Linus Thorvalds is on "vacation". American moral authoritarians have infiltrated the project with the intend of fully implementing their CoC. If you are an aspiring to be a contributor to the kernel project, wait before joining up, there is a lot of slander and non-kernel related bullshit going on.. If you just want to use a GNU/Linux variant, you wont experience any problems. Hopefully it gets solved in a few months time. It seems like a way worse authoritarian push than the FreeBSD project. They are actively going after top contributors with slander, like "rape apologists" and stuff like that.

Even Stallman doesn't support this shit. He doesn't care, since he is not part of Linux development. I suggest if you consider joining up with another kernel development team, the GNU/HURD project seem somewhat exciting at first glance.

Don't take it too seriously. There are a lot of free software projects and even some electronics projects to contribute to, that need developers. Just go there, they'll need help too.
Beerware my dude, don't forget:

Attached: beerware.png (640x164, 8K)

Bunch of skillless cunts managed to worm their way into Linux and will now rot it from the inside because contributions will be based on ideological purity, not actual skill and merit.

Probably just gets it from your GTK icon theme. Either manually change that one icon in the themes files or just get a different theme.

The reason I support the GPL is because nobody else is playing fair, so why should we?
I'd love the idea of just saying do whatever the fuck you want with my software, but then when I buy something from another company who uses proprietary code (which is their freedom to do) if I were to take the binary that I _bought_ and reverse engineer it I can still get sued.
Not to mention all the shady shit that has happened in the past like sony literally putting malware on their CD's to automatically disable shit on your machine to prevent you from "pirating" the disk.

Maybe I'll agree with people who hate the GPL when we get some actual sensible digital rights that are made to protect the USER rather than just protecting companies and letting them make their own rules.
Until then, fuck this gay earth, fuck the rules, and I hope everyone chokes the GPL because they made their own bed this way. Stallman just has the balls to fight back instead of pretending everything is right with the world.

I don't believe for a second that the GPL is actually Stallman's idea of true freedom. And in fact if you had true freedom then the GPL wouldn't even matter.
I am positive that it has only ever been a tactic to fight back with and nothing more.

> my my toy

Purple haired ham galaxies detected. It took all of 2 days for those CoC faggots to start trying to remove valuable contributors like Tso from the project...

tl; dr
Try being more succinct next time, Zhang.

Attached: 1386104189644.png (1000x669, 950K)

This

The voice of freedom is never succinct

ncmpcpp isn't loading songs from mpd, pressing 'u' does nothing

The mpd_music_dir is the same as the one in my ~/.mpd/mpd.conf file and so are the mpd_host and port.

I'm running it as a service btw and mpc can see the songs.

Chinese paid shills shoo shoo

press 2