What is this part that just caught on fire on my MSI laptop?

What is this part that just caught on fire on my MSI laptop?

Attached: IMG_20180924_151749.jpg (4160x2340, 3.61M)

I breathed the smoke a bit. I don't feel so good.

The motherboard.

that be trashed user

Attached: 1d6[1].jpg (330x309, 23K)

Did I fuck myself for an RMA by opening it? I wanted to make sure it wasn't still burning ie. the battery.

6 heatsinks and still catches fire?

Fuck the warranty is only 12 months. I bought it 18 months ago.

Never buy a gaming laptop lads. If this was a desktop I could just replace the mobo for $150. Now the entire thing is junk. Think I can get any money for the GTX 1060 on ebay?

Hard to tell. Acrid smell? In that case it most likely was an electrolytic capacitor.

Chinked

My gaym0r msi is running for over five years now. Although I needed a new fan, a new battery and some more RAM.

An electrolytic doesn't cause charring, just a big wet mess. That's either board failure (short between layers), or more likely a switching transistor for the CPU VRM.

The part that makes it run. Now piss off. Jow Forums isn't your personal tech support.

Never breathe the magic smoke.

Attached: Dnqk0vCVAAAbl7T.jpg (331x341, 19K)

Well I sent an email to the RMA department. I'm think out of warranty though I'm just s.o.l.

If you needed to remove the cover to remove SSD, etc. - couldn't legally refuse you an RMA on that basis. The guarantee being 6 months elapsed, however - that is, as they say, another matter entirely. Don't Buy Gaming Laptops, but, you got that bit already.

when people will learn that only worth-buing laptops are old Thinkpads.

you can see if you can get a replacement Mobo from msi, just move everything over if they're still working. hopefully the CPU is alright.

Mobo is like $500

better than $2000 for a new laptop

That's what happens when you buy something that only fits a single model. Desktop boards are cheaper because they're standardized to fit in damn near anything.

DC-DC related stuff.
Find a guy like Jewish Rosmann and he will wix it for 300$.

You could've gotten a brand new machine, had you bought an Apple MacBook Pro with Retina Display alongside AppleCare.

But then he'd have a fashion accessory instead of a computer.

you got burn craters in a multi-layer circuit board, ain't no fucker fixing that for $300. Need to clean and see exactly how bad the damage is, if just component. Bur tldr, 97.48% its totally fucked

Shouldn't matter. They'll replace to avoid being sued.

>gaming laptop
Can’t believe people actually pay for these unreliable overpriced garbage shittops

I was living all over the world so a desktop didn't make sense.