/emacsg/ Emacs General

/emacsg/ Emacs General Get Dirty Edition

Emacs the extensible self-documenting text editor

>Content-aware editing modes, including syntax coloring, for many file types.
>Complete built-in documentation, including a tutorial for new users.
>Full Unicode support for nearly all human scripts.
>Highly customizable, using Emacs Lisp code or a graphical interface.
>An entire ecosystem of functionality beyond text editing, including a project planner, mail and news reader, debugger interface, calendar, and more.
>A packaging system for downloading and installing extensions.

Guided Tour of Emacs
gnu.org/software/emacs/tour/index.html

Getting Started
C-/ [undo]
C-ggg... or Esc [cancel current command queue, return to a neutral starting place]
C-x C-f [open file]
C-x C-s [save file]
C-p [up one line]
C-n [down one line]
C-f [forward one character]
C-b [backward one character]
M-f [forward one word]
M-b [backward one word]
C-a [move to beginning of line]
C-e [move to end of line]
C-d [delete character]
M-d [delete to end of word]

Buffers
C-x b [switch to buffer by name]
C-x C-b [view list of all open buffers]
C-x k [kill current buffer]
C-x 1 [focus only current buffer]
C-x 0 [focus other open buffer than current focus buffer]
C-x 2 [split buffers horizontally]
C-x 3 [split buffers vertically]

Getting help inside Emacs
C-h t [Enter the Emacs interactive tutorial]
C-h r [Display Emacs manual in info]
C-h C-f [Displays the Emacs FAQ, using Info]
C-h m [Display documentation of the current major mode]
C-h a (topics) [searches for commands whose names match the argument topics]
C-h C-h [View a list of help commands]
C-h b [Display all active keybindings]

For vim degenerates there are pre-configured config files to hold your hand in your transition to enlightenment.
doom-emacs
evil-mode
spacemacs

please anons, help add to this OP for future /emacsg/
previous thread >

Attached: one-editor-to-rule-them-all.png (2000x1607, 262K)

Other urls found in this thread:

git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/gnulib.git/tree/doc/Copyright
cestlaz.github.io/stories/emacs/
github.com/noctuid/evil-guide
emacswiki.org/emacs/ColorThemes
github.com/raxod502/straight.el
twitter.com/AnonBabble

do people really use this? seems so complicated. i just use gedit

I hope this general will become a normal occurrence on Jow Forums.

Has anyone gotten access to the Emacs repo? I've always wanted to contribute to the project directly, but right now I'm held back by not knowing whether I have to use my legal name in paperwork I need to sign.

Attached: emacs_girl.jpg (960x1280, 136K)

I really use it, and my productivity went through the roof. It really isn't over complicated once you dive into it.
Do you use the mouse to navigate in gedit or does it have keybindings you can use to move around? If its the former, you really would see a huge difference in your performance using the keybindings above. Most work in the command line too, so if you want to delete commands, or move backwards to edit a miss typed command its all universal.
If your comfy with gedit, I guess why look anywhere else?

emacs more like imbloats

Attached: smiling.gif (500x500, 1.71M)

Reminder this is not a girl.

Great, another subreddit on \g\

Thanks for the bumps anons.
If anyone is looking for an irc client. erc is unironically the best irc client.

whats your erc config user? i tried it but it didn't just werk™ so i switched back to weechat

and that's a good thing

my init.el currently consists of a lot of stuff i copied from various sources over the years.
now i want to make it a bit cleaner. is it considered good form to have everything in use-package format?
most install guides on github dont use it thats why im asking.

also im using emacs for my programming exams. we always get fresh accounts for every exam. is there an quick/easy way to pull my config from a server or my github? apparently downloading packages using emacs is allowed (i have written permission) but we cannot use firefox or another browser.

>first lecture of new quarter in CS class
>professor recommends students to try emacs
>call him a macfag
>walk out

Attached: 1532784994115.jpg (220x230, 18K)

The emacs command of the day is 'fill-paragraph, normally bound to M-q. This command will auto indent and format the current paragraph according to the fill-column. Very very useful for formatting one long line into an document style paragraph.

was in a similar situation user. i switched everything (or most everything) to use-package and then migrated it to an org file using org-babel. its pretty comfy, much easier to navigate around and find and make changes

*points and clicks behind you*
heh nuthin' personnel kid

Yes, use-package is really useful for not only logically structuring your init file, but also for package reproducibility in new environments. When you have :ensure t on all your packages all you have to do is copy the init file and let it automatically pull all of the packages.

emacs has extensive mouse support

thanks im gonna rewrite it to use use-package over the next weekend. ensure t looks quite elegant. just played with it a bit.

you guys know of any preinstalled mode that allows me to replace the default init.el with my init.el from a url? ive become quite reliant on company.

if you have it stored in a remote git repo, you could probably write a one-liner to grab it and then move it to replace the default in .emacs.d

Can someone explain to me why the chinks and gooks seem to love emacs?
Did stuff like vim and nano never get the cult folowing over there due to encoding issues or something?

They have a higher iq than whitebois who's only sense of feeling superior is their unesssary convultued vim commands.

hey, was afk. This is all I needed in my config. If you need to change to any other irc server, when you type in M-x erc (i recommend M-x erc-tls with port 6697)
(custom-set-variables
'(erc-modules
(quote
(autojoin button completion fill irccontrols list match menu move-to-prompt netsplit networks noncommands readonly ring smiley stamp spelling track)))
'(rcirc-server-alist (quote (("irc.freenode.net" :channels nil)))))

thanks user!

I use this nearly constantly in org-mode, since you don't want long-form notes to trail off the end of the page endlessly. Moreover, autofill-mode sucks.

I think I'm going to be able to convert two classmates to emacs
They talk about using notepad++ and how it something great for writing code.
I never say what editor I'm using, I just show them my workflow.
I can see the gear turning of them noticing the supperiority of emacs.
I'm going to take baby steps with them.

I would recommend to them to use spacemacs or something similar. People who haven't used these kinds of keybinds before usually throw their hands up in revulsion the first time they try the tutorial.

What is she doing nowadays?
Still collecting keyboards and regularly staying in mental hospitals?

honestly dont get whats hard to grasp with
C-p move u(P)
C-n move dow(N)
C-f move (F)orward
C-b move (B)ackward

emacs keybindings make more sense to me than other alternatives. Especially vims keybindings, that is a whole different beast.

>Has anyone gotten access to the Emacs repo? I've always wanted to contribute to the project directly, but right now I'm held back by not knowing whether I have to use my legal name in paperwork I need to sign.

You can see the templates that the FSF uses here:
git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/gnulib.git/tree/doc/Copyright

The files mention that you have to use your full legal name, but you might be able to slip by if you use a believable name.

Nice command, I will share my command of the day.
When you walk away from your computer type M-x zone and trip people out who look at your desktop. Doubles as a screensaver.

It's gotta be Lisp. It's exactly the kind of thing asians would love.
I never wrapped my head fully around Lisp to the point where I could do anything interesting, but I've seen many a programmer fall under its spell.

Educate thy self.

Attached: 51H17R+bW8L._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (333x499, 36K)

Vi keys are utter nonsense on anything but US QWERTY and Nano is babbymode.

holy shit
best thing all week

Attached: awe1350281144003.gif (262x200, 498K)

ERC is pretty cool but damn I hate how it turns on a bunch of global erc modes and doesn't turn them off when I close ERC.

How do you close ERC specifically, and what modes do you want to be turned off? You should be able to disable them from a ERC hook, or make a custom exit command that disables the modes you want.

Zoning as we speak

Does nano really have a cult following?

By closing ERC I meant closing all ERC buffers, and I want all the erc modes to be off when I'm not using ERC. Turns out it was pretty easy to make a command that disables all the erc modes, but unfortunately ERC doesn't turn them all back on when I reopen ERC.

Hmm, I don't think ERC is handling its minor modes very well.

>but unfortunately ERC doesn't turn them all back on when I reopen ERC.
It sucks, but what about just re-adding them on your ERC entrypoint?

(advice-add 'erc :before #'re-add-erc-modules)

well I think I'm ready to switch from vim to emacs

anyone have some tutorials on configuring it visually? I've seen the (fuckin ton of) addons I can get for it, which really makes it seem that i'll be spending a lot of time looking at emacs even when I'm not trying to be a c/cpp dev.

What do people like so much about emacs, I'm on Vim and so far I'm mostly pissed off at the lack of normal copy pasting.

Attached: 1536044227078.jpg (1200x1350, 258K)

it's an operating system in itself, functions as a psuedo-GUI in a CLI environment so if you can't access X for whatever reason you literally just need GPM and you can continue using your computer as if it had a GUI installed. There are so many other useful things that it can do but it's very immersive and doesn't sacrifice usability for the sake of being able to maneuver a text document with retard keys that nobody uses anymore

honestly what is the point of requiring Ctrl in front of even the most basic commands? At least in Vim you can change from insert mode to normal mode in order to navigate etc without any modifier keys.

Looks like it does the job, thank you!

Attached: 1506559545449.jpg (192x192, 4K)

hey, copy pasting in vim is easy! you just need to follow this simple instruction

Attached: vim is the best.png (877x3153, 664K)

One could ask what's the point of having to switch modes before even the most basic commands, too. It's a matter of preference, and emacs is perfectly capable of modal editing, or even mixing vim-like normal mode shortcuts with native/custom control-/meta-/super- ones at the same time.

cestlaz.github.io/stories/emacs/

And if you're looking into using evil-mode, checkout this guide
github.com/noctuid/evil-guide

Honestly I would say modal edditng is worse. Do you just get in the habit of spamming your Esc key to be sure what mode your in? How often does your computer beep because you are not in the right mode?
Modal editing is like sudo. It's there to make kiddies feel safe and comfortable.
Where as emacs is quite literally Esc Meta Alt Ctl Shift. You have full controll of your keyboard. Your great grandfathers have the modifier keys on the keyboard for a reason, to take control of your keyboard in different combinations.
Having one mode is like always being in root. You don't need permission to be in a special mode you just need to use the correct modifier combination and you are on your way.
It's really not a hard concept to grasp. Modal editing makes no sense to me other than having a safe space.

If by visual you mean color themes?
Emacs as a built in color theme manager
emacswiki.org/emacs/ColorThemes
As far as having a file tree or other nonsense on your screen at all times, there are plugins to shift through that can do that.

Extensible self-documenting text editor?
More like: Eight Meg's and constantly swapping..

Huehuehue

Emacs is my favorite os

>C-p [up one line]
>C-n [down one line]
>C-f [forward one character]
>C-b [backward one character]
>M-f [forward one word]
>M-b [backward one word]
>C-d [delete character]
>M-d [delete to end of word]
I've been using emacs for years, and I've never used these key bindings.
They're so inconvenient if you just wanna move around.
Anyway, you should be using incremental search (C-s/C-r) or something like avy-mode to move around.

Does emacs work with the general clipboard?

Assuming you meant system clipboard, yes it does work, although you can also get that behavior in Vim.

Actually, I have no idea who she is. I'd appreciate any relevant links.

Attached: emacs_girl3.jpg (960x1280, 262K)

It does out of the box if you're using the graphical interface.

that's petsu. she was a mod/ hanged out with the mods at lainchan or something. dunno what she's up to or if she even uses that name anymore

How do I stop gnus from making directories with capitalised names? Like I want News to be news.

Attached: dirnames.png (644x340, 122K)

gnus-directory variable

use-package is nice but the problem is that you can't really pin packages
if you use use-package in combination with straight.el you can pin packages
e.g. if you have a working setup, you can run a command to pin all packages and create a lockfile that you commit
now when you clone the repo, all packages get installed excactly to the same version again.

you do NOT get his behaviour using use-package alone. it will just use the latest version, which can cause huge pain

so use this declarative package manager senpai
github.com/raxod502/straight.el

thank you!

she could do us a favor and grow some tits

Be careful with that pasta. It's an antique.

based

These shortcuts are worth knowing because they work in bash and any other program using GNU readline library (python cli, mysql and a ton of others).

If your editor is so great, why can't I run firefox in it via native elisp? Checkmate.

I honestly don't get how people don't pick up on this point. Yeah learning it just for emacs might be not worth wild. But the fact it works with other software I use frequently on my Unix system makes them more than worth to learn. Definitely worth it over vim, which everything has to be tailored to those bindings instead of being defaults. Yeah, yeah, hjkl is supported is some, but the above bindings are supported in more out of the box no configuration needed.

They also work in most Gtk and Mac applications.

GNU readline has a vi emulation mode, so software using it can be used with vi keybindings. Unfortunately, there's lots of software that partially emulates GNU readline without being the real thing (due to licensing problems, GNU readline is released under the GPL which some projects refuse to adopt).

Has anyone tried ledger-mode to keep track of their finances?
I've found it extremely useful and prefer it so some app on my phone or some Excel spreadsheet.

Didn't know this, this looks interesting, thanks for the recommandation.

I keep track of my finances a lot better with it being in the same environment that I spend most my time in. Once you learn the ledger formatting just typing C-c C-o C-r Bal it gives you your running Ballance. Deff worth looking into if you want to take control of your finances.

bump

Is the Guile port usable?

By the way nano can do that as well with ^J