/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous thread: If you're looking for purchase advice, state your budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™

>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Libreboot-compatible models:
>T60 (check lcd), X60(s/t); X200(s/t. -s requires soldering), T400(s)/500; W500.

Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, widely available, socketed CPU, both Coreboot-compatible (Ivy Bridge CPU support on T420); Quad Core Compatible, Old keyboard swap on *30 series
>T520/530; W520/530 - 15", 1080p, DTR, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3.0
>T440s - don't ever buy this meme
>T440p/540p; W540/1 - Last Thinkpads with socketed processors, easily replaceable trackpad (W541 doesn't need trackpad replacement)
>P-Series - 15'' + 17'', 4K display, up to 64GB of RAM, Xeon CPU option. Expensive.

Upgraded models:
>X210 - X200/X201, i5 8250u quadcore
>X62 - X61, i5 5250u
>T70 - T60, i7 7700 hq
IPS displays, USB 3.0, m.2 x4, mini dp, no
forum.51nb.com/forum.php?mod=forumdisplay&fid=117

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint™, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

>ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org

Attached: 1537825325800.jpg (1024x683, 145K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=bOFB3QaOT6Q
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Management_Engine
github.com/corna/me_cleaner
karlcordes.com/coreboot-x220/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

First for t440s

where do people get new x60 batteries? preferably something international

>T440s - don't ever buy this meme

Attached: 1537461397933.jpg (364x379, 95K)

Gonna need a quick rundown on that picture

Yall told me not to get a t430s but other than the screen and battery this thing is so comfy since I'm on the go a lot

Government regulated hardware back doors being memed on with DIY toys designed to teach third worlders how to program

I'm trying out a friend's t440s with FHD ips. I've got an HD ips x230. Lenovo really improved screens in a year. The speakers are also crazy good in comparison.

Attached: G_20180924_2359012.gif (320x240, 1.52M)

what can I do with this R51e, Celeron M and 1gb of ram its kind of a turd but a free turd.

I want to buy a t44p and upgrade the display but I'd hate to fuck up and be stuck with one that can't take the upgrade

You should switch to KDE/XFCE. I had guhnome on my T420 and it was slow as shit.

Sorry for interrupting and not doing research on my part.

is X1 Carbon
with:
Intel i5-6300u
8gb RAM
256gb SSD
14" 1920x1080 IPS
and 3 year warranty for 900EUR (euro poor here) worth it? Will be used as travel and presentation laptop with limited use for some engineering python scripting (replacement for acer aspire S n16c4 that is slowly starting to fall apart?

bump

Attached: 1537813126603eeee.png (765x500, 398K)

ThinkCentre M92z

local person trying to sell this. i might buy it. but when looking up specs, i see it cam in a consumer version and an enterprise version.

what's the difference?

you're the one looking at the specs you tell us

how do fags even get a 45W CPU running on a T420? im reaching about 98C when on load on the i5 it came with, even cleaned the fans and repasted tp, temps still the same, is this normal or did i fuck up on the paste choice or something?

Attached: nigward.jpg (480x360, 9K)

I don't like either of those. GNOME is running fine for now

Is X200 capable of hitting full gigabit (or close to it at least) on the Ethernet port assuming it has fast enough storage? I can get one for like $15 (broken to shit, ofc), thought I could make a NAS out of it.

gbs =/=gibs

oh fuck off

Nothing above 400USD is worth it. 400USD gets you thin enough, light, 4 hours, quiet, good enough for normalfag tasks.

that's the thing. the consumer version's page doesn't have any details.

i'm no expert. but i've never know ibm/lenovo to use the same model for both markets.

hence the reason i am confused and coming to the fanboys.

on the enterprise version's page, there's a number of CPU options, RAM choice, etc...

the one i'm looking at has the i5 3550S Quad-core 3 GHz - so if i get this, would/should i (be able to) get the i7 for that same socket or is this the soldered on crap?

Attached: believe it or not.png (1125x1499, 1.43M)

Thermal paste that isn't your semen. Seriously, I overpaid for my refurbished T430, but they did a good fucking job of cleaning it out and applying some good shit.

I only get 56C max on a complete CPU and iGPU stress test with a 3320m. How the actual fuck are you even going above 87C? I've had gaming netbooks with basically non-existent cooling not even go that far.

First for BEWARE the T440s shitposter! He'll use his Jewish tricks to try and make you waste your money!

Attached: 1536562380797.jpg (1156x1520, 428K)

thank you for response, but i need more battery life for travels and outdoor use. everything about currently used acer is OK, except built quality.

Do you not know how to post on Jow Forums, you new-shit retard faggot? Stop being a nuisance and fuck off.

Holy shit, do you not want to bump the thread again with one of your inane empty fucking posts? Do you not think before posting?

Attached: 1536894613737.jpg (918x918, 85K)

Oh, fuck.

Attached: img_3316.jpg (3456x2304, 2.86M)

Plain Coreboot, Skulls, or Heads? For an X230.

I'm almost certainly not using Heads because Qubes still uses systemd in its containers by default, and also I want to try out OpenBSD rather than lock the OS down super securely. Still open to hearing opinions, though.

Hey /tpg/ I want to buy a thinkpad for my programming and cyber security courses. Linux is the recommended OS by my university's Capture the Flag team. Running linux on my current laptop would be a pain in the ass since so many other classes use Microsoft Office and alot of my games wouldn't work on linux. Basically I want a thinkpad for doing alot of programming and then CTF stuff and hacking challenges in the future. My price range is about $300.

What's the best place to buy replacement keys for a laptop? One of my arrow keys broke and I want to make sure I'm using a reliable service before spending $5 on a plastic rectangle.

Attached: 1372447693334.jpg (400x400, 32K)

Just get a T470/T470s for around €550 instead it will have even better specs and thermal solution also I have a 1920x1080 ips display on my T470 and while it isnt the brightest the viewing angles are great.

>*cracks*
>*sips*
>ah... the T420. Now that was a laptop... none of this T480s nonsense like USB 3.1 or battery life

Attached: bb3b8bdd101a19d72c8a67e16a73c3881df81bdfr1-380-349v2_00.jpg (380x349, 25K)

just buy extra keyboards and cannibalize as needed

unironically install gentoo on it

What's the most powerful CPU that a T430 can go up to anyway?

technically the i7-3940XM but realistically the 3840QM

pls respond

Attached: 1524086472372.jpg (1280x720, 106K)

T440p

i7-3840QM. I think you can use the i7-3940XM processor, but I don't know if it requires further tinkering. Thermals though.

Any ThinkPad could do that. I would personally recommend the X series because they're small and portable, but it depends if you want a bigger display or not. Any ThinkPad will do. Just don't buy anything over xx30. xx40 ThinkPad can have problems with Linux.

Don't listen to this retard.

>Gentoo on a decade old Celeron M
technically you could use distcc, but it's pointless when you could just install a different distro

Also, if you're going to use Linux, you might as well avoid models with dedicated GPUs. Driver support is non-existent and you don't really need them at all.

Also, have a look at the ThinkPad History list. Commonly, users comment on Linux use and compatibility with the most popular models (xx00 and xx20) as well as other problems or interesting facts.

thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkPad_History

Reposting for newfags:

This dude makes the best ThinkPad videos AND he's not a transvestite faggot. How awesome is that!
youtube.com/watch?v=bOFB3QaOT6Q
But seriously though, watch his videos if you're new to the ThinkPad world. And maybe you'll stop asking retarded questions.

Attached: 1536649982905.jpg (4320x2520, 1.76M)

Then get a replacement battery with two times the cells for real life 8-10 hours (and no, the thinbooks don't get the advertised battery life so if you actually want to work for a long time you can forget about a thinbook).

Explain the op picture

It is a meme format which is commonly used to put two entities against each other. Normally one being numerous or over-powered and the other being few or weaker with a twist. It's kind of funny because the comparison is commonly ridiculous or has an obvious answer.

Don't be facetious fag

I guess its time to learn linux the hard way

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Management_Engine
github.com/corna/me_cleaner
karlcordes.com/coreboot-x220/

tl;dr all modern intel processors have a hardware backdoor that can be disabled by flashing the bios with a raspberry pi

Attached: readnigga.png (467x262, 192K)

If you're a newb and install gentoo, you aren't a newb anymore.

what a fucking dweeb lmao
is this how an average thickbad user looks like?

Did your boomer dad bookmark Jow Forums for you where facebook use to be

Maybe install tinycore linux. If that's still too demanding somehow, install kolibriOS

Thanks!
Also that dude that user posted in the beginning of the last thread is awesome.

Enjoy your ban newfriend

>not T410s
all of you are sleeping on the best thinkpad ever made

mate, its 2018, if you haven't noticed, there will always be stupid questions, and they keep on getting worse as time keeps on going further.

People don't read the stickies and want advice if the IdeaPad is a good thinkpad that can do 144hz gaming on Core M processor, and wants to know how they can hack the 10" HD monitor to be a 17" 4K res.

>being this cheap and lazy to not figure it out
I want to tell you yes, just so you can be the next iDab.

Just get a better pentium M CPU for like $7 or $10

T430s master race

Attached: DSC_0002.jpg (1571x1050, 218K)

T450s or a Dell Latitude E7450?

Help me out, Jow Forums

Attached: 1504164873238.jpg (1080x810, 104K)

My T420 just arrived and I think I might have hit the screen jackpot. I managed to get one of the 1600x900 IPS panels.

Middle click or bust

T450s

Such an amazing machine

Don't listen to the idiots that say otherwise

They use a t430 ironically, thick and hot.

>2018
>not 1920x1080

You didn't hit a jackpot in any way. Your device is still obsolete.

Cope harder.

>thick and hot
Correct

Attached: 1532577891151.png (923x737, 536K)

E7450 is thinner but has less battery life.

I don't think its IPS but thats good you like the display, Easy upgrade to dat alienware M14x display.

comfypads!

Attached: IMG_0969.jpg (4032x3024, 1.15M)

x230 or x220? which is better? I want the most lightweight laptop possible. I was considering an old gen of X1C but just found out the RAM can't be upgraded

>less battery life

How much of a difference are we talking about?

i mean, when I used a T450s I had like 5 hours of use. When I used a E7450 I had like 3 - 4 hours.

I just had these to buy/flip, so I only used them for about a week for shitposting and making eBay listings.

I didn't bother to see the battery life degradation, so perhaps the E7450 was used more.

If battery life is a concern go with the t450s for sure.

Does dell even have battery bridge tech?

I can confirm my t440s gets better battery life than my family members e7250. When they both had fresh batteries.

Just found a x200 nearby me for 30 monopoly dollars, it has a dead screen but still works. Are there IPS options for it? How do your screens look?

Dear /tpg/ I was thinking of buyan an AMOLED samsung laptop/tablet and was leaning towards galaxy book rather than tab s since android is a shitshow
Has anyone tried running linux on these things? are there special considerations/software to prevent burn-in on windows or linux?

also is a UHS 3 sdcard fast enough to be viable as a bootdrive if I were to dualboot windows/linux and keep one of them on the sdcard?
why the fug isn't there a laptop general anyway?

How'd you type the little tm?
^tm

>Muh microsoft Office
It runs just fine in a VM if you need MS Office THAT BADLY and can't use LibreOffice

actually I did my own research. I think im gonna get the samsung PVA screen

Fuck off. Read the OP.

Business laptops only.

Get your samshit cheap crap out of here.

You'd be happier with a modern display.

So the HV121WX4-120 instead?

Nope t440 or newer for modern displays.

Found him! Remember: Don't listen to him!

Attached: yotsuba!-wallpapers-26211-2477719.png (1600x1200, 954K)

Are W541s worth it? I rarely see people talk about them in this thread.

Outed yourself as a stupid nigger again, shitposter-kun.

Attached: wgfront.jpg (1600x401, 244K)

No same as w540

Just swap trackpad.

"Modern displays" =/= Good displays.

Attached: wgup.jpg (1600x326, 199K)

What the heck is the security chip option in the bios? Should I leave it on, inactive or disable it?
Same with Intel AMT. Should I disable that or just leave it as it is?
I've already perma disabled computrace

hmmm mayb--
wait a second, am I being played by the t440 jew?

Attached: 1523808806343.jpg (657x527, 24K)

Jewish tricks.

Tread carefully!

Attached: wgside.jpg (1600x1179, 321K)

anyone using hackintosh here? Mine's wifi stopped working. Keeps searching for a network, I've been reading threads on tonymac all day and can't find a solution

Best choice for a linux based just browse web an shit ThinkPad? Cheapest what should i expect to spend, im poor.

Can these drive a 4k monitor?

My T420 arrived today. In way better condition than I expected.

Attached: IMG_20180925_144359.jpg (3120x4160, 3.4M)

You may want to use Reddit for that, buddy. You're going to get bullied here.

No. Not a single one of them.

saucy, pls gib trappad general disc invite pl0x

thanks for the system info :^)

As a guy who used to work there, there's a lot more legal handcuffs than all that, but you aren't about to convince anyone around here of that. NSA doesn't collect on U.S. persons, and most U.S. companies are not very willing to work with NSA. The laws that are in place to prevent government agencies from unlawfully encroaching on your rights are followed as far as I know. I can't tell you if there's some super dark double-secret group somewhere doing something spooky, but if there is it's probably CIA or FBI anyway. Also
>unlimited budget
Fucking lol.
There's no government cabal trying to fuck you. No one cares that much about individuals unless you're causing problems.

Regardless of all that, the government is supposed to have a hard time doing its job. The more shit in their way, the better. Part of the reason I stopped working there is because I lost faith in the mission, not because the government is out to get you, but because the government is literally just people taking shots in the dark and making up excuses to spend your tax dollars.

NEVER stop telling the government they are reaching too far. Your response to the government asking for any particular portion of your rights should be to doggedly resist until it becomes readily apparent that it's absolutely necessary to preserve social function.

inb4 you ask me anything, even if I was willing to tell you shit (I'm not, shit is classified because literally everything can be weaponized, especially information), everything is compartmentalized specifically to make sure no one person knows too much

Literally glowing in the dark.

X240 here (it was a gift)

I fucking wish, I worked as a government spook for 6 years and all I got was a fucked up hip, a chronic sleep disorder, and some coins. Glowing in the dark would be neat as fuck.

What is the context of this picture.

shit!
well... now is a good time to ask:
what can a black hat do to my machine with this info, not knowing my IP, identity, location, etc?