UNIX thread

Post and discuss UNIX operating systems (Solaris/illumos, SystemV, AX, HP-UX, UnixWare etc).
This is NOT a thread for UNIX-likes that adhere to POSIX standards (e.g BSD, Linux), it must be a direct sucessor/fork of the UNIX family by AT&T.

Attached: SystemV.jpg (220x165, 11K)

Other urls found in this thread:

tavi.co.uk/unixhistory/pdf/lions-source.pdf
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Windows

TempleOS

based
heathen

Paid-for commercial Unix™is dead and is never coming back. It'll linger on in legacy installations for another decade or so and then be gone forever, and good riddance.

what about open source projects?

Illumos is just "we need a few years to gtfo of Solaris, and fuck paying Oracle to do it".

For everything else you have open-source Unices. You install Linux. If you don't want Linux for whatever reason, you install a BSD. Unix-with-a-™ lost its reason to exist long ago.

There are still some people in the hobbyist community who are pushing for IRIX to be open sourced, in part or in full. We already have most of the base system (excluding drivers) from leaks. What we're missing is the GUI that made it so great in the first place. Motif is part of what made UNIX systems memorable for most, usually in the form of CDE (which is now open source under the GPL). But IRIX was a whole different beast. It used a heavily customized version of the Motif Window Manager with SGI's own enhanced widgets, adding things like scroll wheels that you could add to the UI of programs.

UNIX is pretty much dead commercially. But it'll live on among hobbyists for decades to come. At some point emulation for various hardware will mature and old UNIX systems will still be booted up every now and then by enthusiasts. We might even see more projects like illumos and OpenIndiana if more systems are open sourced.

Attached: irix1.png (1600x1024, 96K)

Noob question here, but can i run Solaris on a hardware not manufactured by Sun?

Yes, you can if you use the x86 version. But you'd have to run it on hardware that's close to what Sun made in the past or that they support, otherwise you may have driver problems. You could also run it in a VM.

Apple OSX is the most successful Unix™ and not going anywhere anytime soon.

It's also not "ia direct sucessor/fork of the UNIX family by AT&T", it's just a bastard thing based on BSD. They just cut a check to the Open Group to get their gold star saying "yeah, it's Unix". Why anybody cares that they did that or not is beyond me.

Probably for some obscure government or university or enterprise contracts that required it. You know, like the expensive workstation vendor's sales rep got cozy with purchasing years ago had them add the requirement to keep that gravy train going.

bump

>UNIX is pretty much dead commercially. But it'll live on among hobbyists for decades to come.
UNIX-likes are not. If anyone bothered to pay for an Open Group audit I'm pretty sure BSD could pass as actual UNIX. The same goes for Linux, although it is incompatible with POSIX more than BSD is. The Open Group doesn't really seem to care about minor shit like kill().

This thread specifically is NOT about UNIX-like systems. Certs from the Open Group are basically worthless. The certs don't make an OS UNIX. It has to be based on System V for it to truly be called UNIX.

But things like AIX, Solaris, IRIX, and HP-UX and others are all dead or taking their last breath, even for legacy applications. The only way forward for this software is open source community projects where hobbyists maintain the code.

Attached: Technology.jpg (1920x1080, 1.34M)

I get that, but in the case of BSD it is a direct descendant from Version 6 Unix, which very much was UNIX.

Attached: dennis.png (1288x1413, 242K)

So you're saying that UNIX systems certified by the Open Group aren't true scotsmen?

HP-UX was really nice. The hardware was good too. I miss it.
I never really used proper Solaris. I worked with a few Solaris admins tho, and they were all above average. Some bordered on wizardry. On a lark I installed OpenSolaris on a dual Pentium Pro machine and used it for a year or so. Due to the way Solaris maintained backwards compatibility, I could never find anything. Shit was in /usr/bin, /opt/usr, /usr/opt/bin/opt/etc, all over the goddamn place. Never got comfortable with it, but I appreciated the guys who could run it well even more.
The really neat part was seeing real Solaris admins working with the E10000 class machines. This was like seeing VMs before anybody knew what that was, only you didn't have to reboot or restart anything, not even the software. Fucking magical.

BSD is a fork of the UNIX family though

And real UNIX (research UNIX) adopted the BSD kernel. SysV and "commercial" UNIX (SysIII et al) are fucked. The moment they used the phrase "sub-system" when describing bits of SysV it was obvious it was a lost cause.

irix is the unix answer to os8/9—very inviting and comfortable.

>Why anybody cares that they did that or not is beyond me.
Shallow contrarianism.
Throughout the 80s and 90s, a lot of UNIX hackers believed that UNIX workstation was the best thing since sliced bread and Sun was God's chosen corporation that was going to save the world.
Then in mid-to-late 90s the reality hit, Microsoft undercut everyone on price with cheap PC clones running Windows, and Linux started rapidly gaining market share from other Unices. This was probably the worst offense because it wasn't even "true" hereditary UNIX like BSD.
So when Jobs came out with OS X with the UNIX certification, this was music to their ears. Seemingly no one bothered to look under the hood to discover the Frankenstein monster.
"There's a sucker born every minute."

BSDs are a direct successor/fork though.

tavi.co.uk/unixhistory/pdf/lions-source.pdf
speaking of /boomer/core, here is the sauce of version 6

>This is NOT a thread for UNIX-likes that adhere to POSIX standards (e.g BSD, Linux), it must be a direct sucessor/fork of the UNIX family by AT&T.
When the original shit is shit, why bother?