Linux vs BSD

What are the pros and cons of each?

Attached: freebsd-linux-difference.jpg (900x506, 51K)

*hugs*

One is more autistic than the other.

I have learned more about UNIX in 2 days of using OpenBSD than in 2 years of using linux
BSD is harder, forcing you to understand what you're doing
a BSD desktop OS is hard to configure and get right, most linux distros just werk
also no drivers

BSD is bettar bcuz it's descended from UNIX and Lunix is for gay virgins.

Attached: B(a)SDvsLincucks.png (387x397, 140K)

Great fucking pros and cons faggot

cute penguin :3

Attached: 1532787957458.png (1979x2186, 880K)

One has less trannies

Theo de Raadt doest give a fuck.

Attached: 1523398557025.png (800x689, 203K)

literally this. go away linux babies

Attached: 1536514729160.gif (500x500, 1.94M)

Attached: 1518633762540.png (1170x836, 160K)

This doesn't really work any more

It is now official. Netcraft has confirmed: *BSD is dying One more crippling bombshell hit the already beleaguered *BSD community when IDC confirmed that *BSD market share has dropped yet again, now down to less than a fraction of 1 percent of all servers. Coming on the heels of a recent Netcraft survey which plainly states that *BSD has lost more market share, this news serves to reinforce what we've known all along. *BSD is collapsing in complete disarray, as fittingly exemplified by failing dead last [samag.com] in the recent Sys Admin comprehensive networking test. You don't need to be the Amazing Kreskin [amazingkreskin.com] to predict *BSD's future. The hand writing is on the wall: *BSD faces a bleak future. In fact there won't be any future at all for *BSD because *BSD is dying. Things are looking very bad for *BSD. As many of us are already aware, *BSD continues to lose market share. Red ink flows like a river of blood. FreeBSD is the most endangered of them all, having lost 93% of its core developers. The sudden and unpleasant departures of long time FreeBSD developers Jordan Hubbard and Mike Smith only serve to underscore the point more clearly. There can no longer be any doubt: FreeBSD is dying. Let's keep to the facts and look at the numbers. OpenBSD leader Theo states that there are 7000 users of OpenBSD. How many users of NetBSD are there? Let's see. The number of OpenBSD versus NetBSD posts on Usenet is roughly in ratio of 5 to 1. Therefore there are about 7000/5 = 1400 NetBSD users. BSD/OS posts on Usenet are about half of the volume of NetBSD posts. Therefore there are about 700 users of BSD/OS. A recent article put FreeBSD at about 80 percent of the *BSD market. Therefore there are (7000+1400+700)*4 = 36400 FreeBSD users. This is consistent with the number of FreeBSD Usenet posts. Due to the troubles of Walnut Creek, abysmal sales and so on, FreeBSD went out of business and was taken over by BSDI who sell another troubled OS.

Kek this image didn't age well

I'm not reading this shit.

Once you get bsd working, you can use it just like linux, right? No extra fuckery?

Attached: BSD.jpg (574x493, 26K)

Sure except you can't watch Netflix or Amazon Prime Video because no widevine support... or use many programs that are Linux only (since the compatibility layer is old old old). But yeah it's basically like Linux except shittier.

- posted from Windows 10

Attached: 1519314470999.jpg (1429x1729, 376K)

What makes a program linux only?

systemd dependency (e.g. gnome 3 afaik).

Although FreeBSD is used to serve Netflix content... :^)

Closed source shit.

Take something like Sublime Text 3 for instance (I can hear the groans, I don't really use it mysefl), there's a Windows version, a Mac version, and a Linux version.

If you want that program on FreeBSD, you're either running it via WINE or the Linux compatibility layer, the latter is probably better if you get it working. But it's a pain in the ass.

*hugs* vs *CoC beacon beam*

there's plenty of linux-only APIs and "ways of doing things" that are not posix compliant and not implemented (or done in the same way) on other unix-likes, like procfs, hal, dbus, systemd, even some coreutils utilities don't work the same way, have the same output or accept the same arguments

Thankfully everything but the worst pieces of software have a proper fallback for POSIX systems.

The Linux compatibility layer works pretty well. I've never encountered an issue with it, at least.
Linux
Pro: works pretty well, has lots of support, if you don't like one distro there's a dozen more just like it
Con: it's MyFirstUnix(TM) for every wannabe hacker, the support comes in the form of corporations running dickfirst into every fad that comes along (systemd), and it has the feel of something that evolved from a primordial ooze (but not a good ooze)
BSD
Pro: so Unix it gives everybody who uses it a spontaneous beard, both FreeBSD and OpenBSD have good documentation but OpenBSD documentation is godlike, it feels like grownups made it to teach you something about operating systems kid, enough support that you'll probably be able to run it on whatever you have
Con: not enough support to run it on whatever you have and play music or watch video, BSD really wants you to compile everything by making package management more of a PITA that it has to be

I'm not overly bothered by any of the CoCs. If you want to rate them, the Linux and FreeBSD CoCs are about equal in their fuckery. I use CentOS and FreeBSD for servers, OSX for my own workstation, and OpenBSD for anything I can justify it for (mostly one-off servers performing a handful of functions and firewall/routers). If you can make yourself a comfy place with an OpenBSD workstation, you'll reap many rewards from it so long as you do it the BSD way and not try to make it work like your Ubuntu install used to. Seriously, install OpenBSD and then just read the man pages. It's glorious.

BSD licenses are glorious master race capitalism
GNU/GPL is subversive gommunism

>macfag
>just install openbsd!!!!!!

typical. even the devs for FreeBSD just run it in virtual machines on their macbooks

Attached: g.jpg (500x563, 106K)

That's because FreeBSD is POZ'd. Has been for a while. Ever since they removed the hitler quotes from `fortune' it was obvious that subversive marxist shitbergs took over. Last time I used Free on a production system was 4-STABLE. Ever since then it has mostly been Open or DFly

>BSD is dying
>isn’t aware of macOS(TM)