Attached: synology.jpg (300x225, 5K)

poor

I don't have any files I need to store.

>2018
>Buying an off the shelf NAS instead of building your own

Pathetic!

Same here

I don't have piles of cash sitting around

i have the drives in my desktop and i connect to it from other devices if i need something. nas devices are overpriced and only have few drive slots like that in your picture.

For what? My workstation and casual setup have shared drives that are no different in functionality. They're shared across the network and backed up locally and off site. What is a ready-made nas going to give me? Redundancy? Easier access to files? Already have that. Oo hot swapping? Get fucked I'm not in a server room. Other than being loud what else is it going to have? It's purely luxury

i built a freenas box but the hardware is old and shit

I use Google Drive.

Attached: zionist.png (1024x647, 632K)

What happened to file servers?

I'm getting by with internal drives and a couple directly attached storage. Plex manages remote media, everything else I need while I'm away I just use teamviewer to remote in.

I have 1TB SSD

>another humming device in-house
>why?

Cloud services are cheap and plentiful.

>building your own when you can buy a 12 bay enterprise server for 125 bucks.

Why would I need a NAS? Why would I want my files shared on my network in the first place?

Not cheap enough to have 7Tb of space, a first class bare metal cpu all to yourself, and efficient bandwidth.

those come with extremely loud fans

>12 bay enterprise server for 125 bucks.
proof?

Based and redpilled.

>not being deaf so it doesnt matter

So that multiple devices can access them, and you can access them via VPN when you are not at home.

Privacy concerns aside, I find the problem with loading everything to the cloud is that you simply cannot rely on having a speedy connection.
Shit happens, and it sucks for your stuff to be inaccessible because some retard with a backhoe felt the need to yank up your neighborhood's trunk line.

>boomer mindset of having multiple devices on different parts of the house that do pretty much the same shit
>going out but still needs to access your media library via internet like a complete braindead piece of shit that can't enjoy the real world for a couple of seconds.
wew

I have an old dell as my nas. Throw whatever random drives I get into it, connect to it over ftp.

But it's not multiple devices that do the same thing! My iPad, iPhone, iMac, MacBook, Apple Watch, AppleTV in three different rooms and AirPort are all very necessary and all need to access the same files at all times across my 500ft2 boomer house

I just use keybase. 250 gb is about all I need stored

>12 bay enterprise server for 125 bucks
>enterprise anything
>125 bucks
Smells of NSA spyware

The absolute state of Jow Forums

>multiple devices that do the same thing
I have a laptop, desktop, and multiple virtual servers. Why should they all have their own discrete storage with the same files on them, when everything can be hosted on a scalable and redundant array?

I access my music and TV shows at work. Not while I'm out retard.
Even then, it's nice to chill at a friend's house and pull up your movie library remotely.

FreeNAS and your local landfill are your friends

(me too, at work, hosting the backups for a VERY important system)
(mine is a mishmash of clone parts in a rackmount case)
Do you at least raid? (I don't, had a single disk available when I built it)

You can download movies and shows in minutes using something called the internet. You can also store your movies and shows in privately owned solutions, usually referred to as storage. You can't stay away from your precious media library while away from your home? You just want to show off

>I have a laptop, desktop, and multiple virtual servers
You have way too much stuff then. There is no excuse to having this amount of crap in your life. You are an addict piece of shit who can't handle real life. There is absolutely no reason why someone should have a small-scale server in their own house. You're like one of those morbidly obese Americans that wander inside a Walmart on a golf cart.

I live in the monkeycountry user
Only thing I can find on any landfill here is shit and maybe the occasional dead body.

>You just want to show off
That alone is a good enough reason for him senpai. He wants to build something and be proud of it. That's healthy. You should try it now and then.
>monkeycountry
As in sopa de macaco, uma delicia?

Appledrone be gone

>Apple was mentioned not even once
>Appledrone
If it alleviates your schizophrenia...

If you're proud of achieving an 8 or let's say 10 year old level steps then maybe you should try something else sometime. Setting up Plex? Really?

If your taste in music is so mundane that it's actually available via streaming then you are an NPC, sorry m8. Might as well just listen to the radio at that point because you have no fucking taste.

I have storage on my phone

>mirrored disks
>cloud backup
>one user/basement dweller
no one needs NAS

>There is absolutely no reason why someone should have a small-scale server in their own house.
Sure there is. Hosting things yourself to learn how they work is a huge one. Not my fault if your entertainment solely consists of watching Netflix and watching Let's Play on Youtube.

i put debian with samba on a laptop and connected an external hdd to it
is that enough

Or you could build your own solution as an exercise?
You seem to be the one who can't think beyond using simple consumer technologies.

Yes.

no
you are the dumb

>entertainment
You're the materialistic faggot that needs an enterprise solution to deliver your lard ass some screen flicker. I'm okay just browsing imageboards and reading books though. I need a laptop and a modem.

You're accusing me of excess, and then in the same breath tell me to carry it around in portable storage, which is generally inferior as far as simplicity is concerned (gotta make sure I don't forget my USB stick or phone cable). Also see below.

I can't take my phone or any personal storage into work, so accessing my stuff over the internet is my only option.

Some of us work for them

NAS or microserver?

Are you a melaninically-enriched fellow shining amidst obscurity?

You're missing the point, but I shouldn't be surprised.
Building the enterprise level solution and constantly improving it *is* the entertainment. Many of us enjoy creating things and solving problems, not just passively existing.

Please I bet you can only fit like a single 128 bit quadraphonic recording on that

The ideal way to do it is to have a single, power efficient server that has the NAS and each separate component virtualized.

My house is a camper van which is not nice to spinning rust disks and a NAS unit filled with SSDs would cost more than my house.

Attached: 1388809639767.png (699x699, 1.03M)

>creating things and solving problems
Holy shit
I'm sorry, "mommy's little engineer". Keep LARPing to rationalize your consumerism and lack of reason to live.

You can't carry your personal phone to work, yet able to access personal files/media off a different network/domain? You're either some snarky sysadmin who thinks his personal privileges are more important than others' or an idiot.

Fuck hobbies, better to just be a couch potato and consume media amirite? Have you considered going back to senpai?

Masturbating to slice of life anime is as much a hobby as playing the piano, playing sysadmin with twenty ThinkPads, or reading stories to the elderly.

There's no point to putting to drives outside of my desktop when that's the only device I'm accessing files from anyway, and it can also act as a server since I never turn it off anyway.

Also RAID is useless on a home setup, backups are what matter.

Attached: DmYNS5LV4AA7ZNo.jpg orig.jpg (640x640, 88K)

>better to just be a couch potato and consume media amirite
Says the fag who owns an enterprise solution to serve him an endless stream of stimulus while he rots on the couch. I bet you've got enterprise double-hose system connected to your couch, to serve you an infinite stream of soda and dispose of your excrement.

>You can't carry your personal phone to work
What shithole company do you work for? The military

But what about masturbating to slice of life anime streamed from twenty ThinkPads and singing the experience to the elderly with a piano accompainment?
Not yet, why? Are you volunteering?

That's not a hobby that's a felony!

I use my desktop for everything and backup every once a blue moon to an external drive.
Every couple months I copy a new book to my phone through FTP. Werkz for me, dunno why I'd need one...

I see that the consumerist faggot is already interested in the next shiny improvement for his basement. Ask your mom first.

It's not as the elderly will understand any of the story, they'll just nod to the music and smile
Moved out 6y ago on good terms, but I think my current flat won't be able to hide all that plumbing. Maybe I'll have to go for a raised floor solution (doable, I can sacrifice 1ft from the 10ft height) or go for an industrial look.

>mommy's little engineer
Gee Bill, did you ever consider that some of us are actually employed doing exactly that?
I apologize if you're still stuck behind the register at Taco Bell, keep up your studies and maybe you'll get make things too!

Welcome to working in an environment with classified material.
You have multiple networks, one of which can reach the internet. No outside electronics are allowed in, at all, for obvious reasons.

>get make things
how is babby formed though.
I doubt your job is to manage your own home NAS. Unless you really think they pay you welfare money for you to organize your own anime collection.

Too small.

Attached: PICT0266.jpg (2592x1944, 1.18M)

I have a rack mount SAN that provides storage to my hosts and I backup off-site.

I design and manage WAN networks. Woo.
I could drive a trash truck for my job, and it would still be valid to derive enjoyment from creating and designing things.

Also, please do not accuse me of watching anime like some sort of subhuman weeb.

Because it's too large
Because I already have plenty of external backup drives (3)
Because it would be overkill for my storage needs

FOR YOU

Proofs?

What's the power draw on those? I'd like a half or quarter rack, but I don't really have the space right now. Or the money for a new one.

Who the fuck buys a NAS? Get an old 12 dish Dell LS* disk shelf with the redundant PSU and an LSI card with external port. Like $125+$15 respectively on eBay.

14 Drive NAS with a chink board here, no case, just 2 aluminum bars riveted together to hold my drive towers.
100 USD + RAM.

I have a QNAP NAS from like 6 or 7 years ago.
I replaced the motherboard once already, and the power supply failed and was replaced.
The motherboard is not OTS, it's a custom joint from QNAP.

>What's your excuse?
I want to replace/supplement it with a regular server with a more stable motherboard, is faster for when I ssh into it and do things, can transcode videos on the fly, etc...

>not savoring the sound of thundering server fans

wireless is too slow

seriously, I only use a media server for hosting 4k blu ray remuxes. Good fucking luck getting that to read on an Xbox One or Android TV wirelessly

>I can't bring my phone into work but I can listen to music and connect to my home PC over the internet
doubt.jpg

This is 100% the case in environments where you work with classified info.

The unclassified network often has internet access, and the computers have mics/wireless cards/cameras/etc all removed. Each of the networks are airgapped from each other, so you'll have one computer under your desk for unclassified info, another for secret, and another for top secret. All sufficiently separated so no sort of EM or what not from one can be sensed by the others.

No outside electronics are allowed in because the possibility of a compromised cell phone or laptop is way too high (which could listen to conversations, take pics/video, etc), and flash drives haven't been allowed for over a decade since they're too good of a malware vector.

>tfw I have a meme egde

Attached: big boy.png (724x369, 20K)

This

>wireless is too slow
Also this

Has anyone tried gaming on a super-computer?

Friednly reminder to avoid anything related to the Buffalo brand.
It's the worst Japanese product ever made.

Go Qnap, Netgear.
Synology is the iPhone of NAS

Attached: 1534857275671.jpg (700x700, 35K)

Yeah a big hot oud one from 2008 that uses 300 watts idle.

Also HGST (hdn series) for HDDs or bust.
Also, desktop HDDs are not meant for NAS.

Attached: 872.jpg (540x540, 55K)

Is this still true of 802.11ac?

What about using Raspberry?
Is it good enough?