Why Are Ubuntu Packages so Fucking Outdated

Linux noob here. Just spent the last 2 hours in dependency hell compiling emacs from source. Why? Because the version in the Ubuntu repositories was too outdated for a package I wanted to install. This is the last straw for me. I'm moving off Ubuntu to a rolling release distro so I never face this bullshit again. Tell me Jow Forums am I just a brainlet or have you guys felt my frustration.

Attached: IMG_0549.png (450x450, 10K)

Other urls found in this thread:

launchpad.net/~ubuntu-elisp/ archive/ubuntu/ppa
cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/9.5.0-live nonfree/amd64/iso-hybrid/
cloveros.ga/s/CloverOS-x86_64-20180920.iso
wiki.ubuntu.com/FeatureFreeze
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Yes

>emacs
I know ubuntu is obsolete but quit falling for the emacs meme

Ubuntu is nothing, try enterprise installs of CentOS where `software -v` frequently prints "copyright 2004"

I am curious as to why Emacs of all things broke you though. Do you really need the absolute latest version of emacs?

I've been considering doing the same. I'm not neccesarly missing anything but t'd be neat to have newer packages, even if that means more bugs.

Also muh bloat

Sorry, I made that without actually reading your post. Which version of Ubuntu are you using?

>Why Are Ubuntu Packages so Fucking stable
fixed

Can you name those packages, it is late at night here not gonna try out centos on vm

Install Arch and you will never feel the pain of outdated packages again.

>tfw the latest version of emacs25 in winbuntu (windows subsystem for linux) runs spacemacs just fine

Attached: 1536116493989.jpg (907x830, 104K)

You know what to do

Attached: 1517821707570.png (602x500, 45K)

Or face stability. Arch is a meme

Attached: 25D5A4F2BF1648E6BF16D1B16552C6F1.gif (404x416, 204K)

Just use Fedora, the rolling release Ubuntu

t. someone who doesn't use arch
arch being unstable is the real meme

I gave up on debian after awhile because of that. Couldn't just update my python version without breaking the whole fucking package manager.

Ruby solves this problem by using rbenv, I don't know why you couldn't use pyenv or something.

I'm on Linux Mint 18.3 KDE Edition. Yeah I know I picked the one DE Mint was going to stop supporting fml.

Anyways I got everything compiled and guess what? Shit won't run because much charset. I'd have to make the files for the tutorial on the homepage as well.

I did this so I could have x-widgets for web browsing in emacs. In other words I fell for the meme

>Install an LTS build built on a 2 year old Ubuntu build
>hurr durr why doesn't it have new packages?

>the ABSOLUTE state of genoo loonex

Wait Ubuntu never updates the packages after an initial install??? I thought they were just lazy about it.

Thunderbird is still on 52.x in the Ubuntu repositories. Mozilla released v60 to the public early last month.

LTS builds are the stable build. They don't have bleeding edge packages because it's meant to work.

i recommend fedora

Debian Unstable doesn't have this problem.

I'm trying OpenSUSE Tumbleweed, so far so good. It (with Leap) has the best KDE experience imo.

Seriously? Yep, brainlet.

Ubuntu has "official" daily snapshots of emacs in a ppa:

launchpad.net/~ubuntu-elisp/ archive/ubuntu/ppa

Also, apt build-dep emacs, done.

Because the LTS versions are meant to be stable and they don't include the latest software in it so all runs smoothly without breaking. If bleeding edge is your goal I recommend Fedora. Don't fall for the Arch meme though.

It can be if you install shit that's unstable upstream

Meanwhile Ubuntu leaves certain things broken for years that have been fixed upstream because updating would break other things

Gotta pick your poison really

Python has an equivalent in virtualenv and it's myriad of wrappers

Most distros are still gonna be on 52 then, as most that aren't rolling are on 6 month release cycles

Hell fairly sure void is still on 52 despite being rolling

I have the keepass2 repo yet whenever I open keypass2 it tells me to update. Why does it do this?

You need this.
cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/9.5.0-live nonfree/amd64/iso-hybrid/

>want a stable, rolling distro
install OpenSUSE.

In my experience, updates just add shit that breaks things.

Just use flatpak retard

This is why I switched to CloverOS.

cloveros.ga/s/CloverOS-x86_64-20180920.iso

Attached: 2018-09-25-030214_7680x4320_scrot.jpg (7680x4320, 2.87M)

install gentoo

Attached: 2018-09-25-090548_1366x768_scrot.png (1366x768, 99K)

how big of a screen do you have ???

I love and use arch, but this shit is unstable af and you know it.

Clover won't be a thing as soon as the COC is inserted into its kernel. Its written by Cis white neets.

>Not building it from source
Repos are meant for people with previous non experience with software being on a golden plate. The whole point of this is typing two commands and a password for users who are simply unable to follow more steps. Ubuntu would never be this popular if installing a package means spending more than 2 minutes doing so.

Attached: 1537779051356.jpg (1256x1017, 141K)

>PRACTICALITY IS BAD

To be fair, if you install CentOS or Debian Stable and expect bleeding edge software you are a retard.

wiki.ubuntu.com/FeatureFreeze

Use nitruxOS

>Outdated..
Why update to the latest CoC version?

Cause its hooked up to the repositories of Debian Good point...

>Because the LTS versions are meant to be stable
This is the only correct answer in this thread. You can have older and well-tested stable software or brand new software with bugs. You simply can't have it both ways.

If you want the absolute latest software then
really is the right choice. But do know that the time you will spend frustrated because of some bug you run into could have been spent in bed with a woman and this is probably why "stable" distributions are quite popular.

>If you want the absolute latest software then
>
>really is the right choice
did you mean OpenSUSE ?