Budget emulator pc

I'm building the cheapest possible emulator pc to couch play some ps2 and gamecube games. I'm thinking of buying a q6600 CPU off ebay for $5-$10 and starting from there?

thoughts?

Attached: received_2178293355792270.jpg (250x208, 6K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=9BzsNki3zJM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

dead meme

I've seen one video on youtube about this and it seemed pretty good. Can't be bothered to look for it right now (on mobile), but the title was kinda click-baity, like "play every single game ever with just $(small amount)" or "the $(whatever) machine that can play every game ever made". It was probably around 20 minutes or so.

PS2 is gonna require a strong PC unfortunately. You'll need a good CPU for dynamic recompilation and a mid tier GPU because the opengl generated by an emulator is inefficient as fuck. Don't buy AMD if you use windows, they have awful opengl drivers on windows.

Hmm, i don't know about that. Pcsx2 is pretty good right now, you can easily run games with a solid framerate with like 10 year old hardware.

>ps2
buy the fat ps2 + pata hdd + network adapter
and softmod it
>gamecube
buy the original backward compatiblle Wii and usb hdd to put games
softmod it
buy crt tv for free

>PS2 is gonna require a strong PC unfortunately.
This was true about 10 years ago. With modern hardware, not so much. A Core 2 Quad handles PS2 emulation with little to no issues.

Hmm ok. But what if he wants to run pcsxr-pgxp? That's gonna require a strong PC for 30fps emulation.

I'd buy the consoles if I were you. You will have to deal with compatibility or technical/emulation/framerate issues in some games with old hardware.

Old ps2 and gamecube are pretty much given away, just buy a DVD burner or figure out how to attach HDD for them.

Your contribution was less useful than posting nothing. Fuck you, you dumb cunt

Faggots

>buy the fat ps2 + pata hdd + network adapter
Can recommend this. Very comfy.

q6600 will work fine. Just grab a decent cooler and overclock it.

For a GPU, something like a 750ti will be more than enough, assuming you are sticking to 1080p.

What if I don't have that much space in my home for seperate TV and a console, but for PC only?

I was thinking about this the other day. Since emulation was deemed legal, and making things more easily obtainable helps combat piracy, why wouldn't Sony and Microsoft come up with in house developed emulators that you can buy for five or ten bucks and then slap a rom store into it. I get that with some games like halo and uncharted they can remaster and make exclusive to their nrlew console gen to help sales, but those are a tiny minority.
Those consoles and games are sunken cost already, might aswel keep on selling them 20 years later. Hell, if I was CEO of Sony or MS I'd buy the copyrights for those games with shell companies and transfer them to make an extra buck.
Is there any logical reason not to do this kind of thing?

Cannibalizing sales of their current DLC and microtransaction cash cows.

But Sony isn't selling any more ps2s, and the thing had like a thousand titles by eol. An emulator for the ps2 wouldn't overlap too much with their newer products to cause cannibalization. The Wii got full backwards compatibility and people actually began buying old games that wouldn't have been sold otherwise.

What is this bullshit?
I've tried PS2 emulation on anything from nehalem i3s, to sandy bridge i5s, and now an overclocked fx-6350. Can't even run mortal kombat armageddon without slowdowns.

A pc takes up more space than that combined when with all accessories, a monitor, etc

>An emulator for the ps2 wouldn't overlap too much with their newer products to cause cannibalization
They're all gaymen for a particular console, of course they compete. You can only play so much vidya each day.

Top of the lines from 5 years ago run pcsx2 1080p perfectly. How you fucking this up so bad

>pc for emulation
>cheap

Attached: 15351101390850.jpg (720x405, 45K)

Not fucking up, machines run flawlessly otherwise. Software is garbage, though last time I tried emulation was 5 years ago.

Depends on what you want to emulate, and with what accuracy.
You need an i9 for the accurate SNES emulation, while an inaccurate one can be run on a toaster.

I have a CPU with similar performance and there are quite a few games it just can't handle well, like F-Zero GX and gran turismo anything.
I would go with the immortan joe CPU for it.

Attached: never ever.jpg (800x856, 183K)

This is basically why everyone is doing what atari did fucking 15 years ago and make a classic console. Of course, it's still inferior to emulation, because there's less options, it costs a fuckload, and they can't sell everything because of legal rights. The good news is that it seems these devices are easily hacked, and you get a good source for new iterations of the old controllers.
For OP, if PlayStation 2 and up to Wii are a requirement you are going to need something with a little umph in order to get all of that. Anything prior can basically run on a Raspberry Pi
Couch only: build a little mini PC for 200-300, you can use it as an FTP or cloud storage or a Home Media Center or pretty much anything else you could dream up, and you can also use a steam controller on it and play indie games

If you want something also Portable for stuff up to dreamcast: gpd xd+ 200$, runs Android so it's useful for a lot of stuff

Portable if you NEED to have ps2 and wii: gpd win 2 800$, runs windows but can dual boot android

As others have said you're probably better off just buying the consoles and modding them. I have a cheap all in one PC and I can't run ps2 or gamecube emulators for shit, and believe me I have tried. For the amount of money you'd end up spending you're far better off just getting the consoles.

WHAT YEAR IS IT?

Here is the video, you complete asshole
youtube.com/watch?v=9BzsNki3zJM

read your own comment and carefully think of what it implys

>bought q6600 few months after launch
>still use it to this day
heh

Ps2 emulation is really shit, your better off getting a fat PS2 and softmodding so it takes roms off of a hard drive, last i checked freemcboot memory cards are like 7 bucks on ebay, and for GameCube just homebrew a wii and use nintendon't or some shit, its going to be a much better experience than buying 2cent pc hardware off eBay and using it to emulate

You don't really NEED the CRT though, but it would make it more /comfy/ imo

this is based

Just ebay a $70 Thinkpad or a used prebuilt

Attached: 2018-09-25-032635_7680x4320_scrot.jpg (7680x4320, 3.94M)

you would be do well new pentium (the one with i7 cores) and a low-mid end gpu
the pentium is perfect for ps2 emu since it has very powerful cores, and it's cheaper because it doesn't have multithreading (useless for ps2 emulation)

just buy ps2 and gamecube you mong

Try easier games?

Just get a second hand PC, there are always old gaming rigs available and depending on the retardness of the owner you might get off with a good price

Any 5/8 years old mid-end gayming configuration will run most emulators

Ryzen 3 2200G

Ironic that you say that.

Attached: 1523447122843.jpg (765x1024, 123K)

PS2 and GameCube games don't benefit from having multiple cores. You need a high clock rate though. I have an fx 8350 and most GameCube games run well, but some are a little bit too taxing for my CPU. The PS2 runs even worse, with a lot of games sub 60/30 fps. And you want to be full speed when emulating. So don't cheap out on the processor, it's the most important part in emulation. Get the highest clock count for the lowest price.
I wouldn't recommend a q6600

Would something like the UDOO Bolt or an equivalent SoC be able to emulate GC/PS2?

Just get a Wii and look for a cheap PS3 with a broken disc drive, install the no blue-ray logic board version of rebug on it, you can play games from the hdd or usb.

You could easily get both for less than a Raspberry Pi.

Dolphin is pretty damn good these days

This.

I got a PS3 with everything (mods) installed (and new heatsinks/ thermal paste) for $100.

Plays stuff like a dream.

A Wii should be even cheaper if you're looking for older models.

Both support emulation of older systems, so you'll be pretty much perfectly covered for all your needs.

do you mean single core speed with that?

would a single core p4 3.6 GHZ work better than a 3ghz 4 core fx8350? don't mind the cache, etc.

I'd still go with at least dual core, so the OS can use the other core
Also newer CPUs have improvements besides the clock speed and core count. So a 5 year old 3.5 might be worse than a new 3.4. I'm not even sure how well older processors work with dolphin and PCSX2
But in general yes, you want the highest clock count. When in doubt check out performance videos on YouTube and unironically ask Reddit.

thanks pal.