What do you need so much RAM for, Jow Forums? I have literally never used more than 4GB, and I'm completely fine...

What do you need so much RAM for, Jow Forums? I have literally never used more than 4GB, and I'm completely fine. I have literally never used more than 3 or 3.5GB at a time.

When I see people here saying that they have 32GB of RAM, I wonder what they use their computer for.

Attached: 450_1000.png (450x294, 139K)

Linux has kernel RAM cache.
The more RAM you feed it the faster you can subsequently access hard disk.

Once warm your system is effectively running on a power safe RAMdisk.

t. doesn't compile large projects

True, just upgraded from 4 to 8gb of ram and I still never use more than 4 :\

I think many of these people are the type who'll have 20 or so tabs open at any given time

It's just people having different usages, yours is different, there's so much you can do on a Computer besides browsing it's hardly difficult to understand why people need more than 4GB

This. I have about 10% of my disk space in free RAM and it's so fucking fast even with spinning rust.

SSDfags BTFO

I do not need 4gb because actually I only have 3.

This is where the dichotomy of chad disk users vs virgin NAND comes from.

The NAND are all running windows, partitioned NTFS, and can't stand to use a HDD because it's actually unusable.
Meanwhile linux is performing deduplication and reflinks on the fly on top of spinning plates.

Attached: Screenshot_20180809_222313.png (164x222, 69K)

I'm pretty sure Windows does this too. At least to an extent.

>what are virtual machines

For work, you fucking normie faggot.
Compiling code.
Editing video.
VMs.
Anything, in a reasonable amount of time.

SSD still have a lot to offer linux, when you have multiple VMs reading and writing at the same time, an old ass butch HDD will really start to show off its lag time.

SSDs are still preferable for laptops and desktops since I can't fit 192GB in them yet.

16gb is extremely limited for my vms

Nowhere near as effectively.

Windows is bloated, Firefox is bloated, all modern software is bloated. I also do a lot of 2D/3D CAD... So I need a lot of memory.

Attached: Capture.png (519x32, 2K)

Your system only uses 3.5GB because you only have 4GB overall. Windows sees you're running out and offloads shit, making your computer slower.
You might would have already made use of 10+GB of RAM you just don't know. I'm using 5.3GB right now, with a lot of unused windows services disabled. I have 5 tabs and a small visual studio project open.

Lel gay

The real ubermensch are using four tiered storage.
>plenty of RAM for aggressive caching
>SSDs for bcache (Linux) / swapcache (DragonFly BSD) / ARC (ZFS)
>spinning rust for bulk storage formatted with a next gen filesystem (BtrFS / bcachefs / HAMMER / ZFS)
>tar going to actual tapes for offline backups

>What do you need so much RAM for, Jow Forums?
mostly fucked up memory leaking browsers and work stuff.
>tfw you fell for the ultrabook meme and can't upgrade your measly 8GB without buying a whole new machine

Attached: chrome.png (309x512, 22K)

>opera
ishygddt

>What do you need so much RAM for, Jow Forums?
To keep broken shit running.

Attached: pbs.jpg (533x43, 18K)

You can't even use both browser and Android Studio on 4GBs of RAM. I have 16, and it's barely enough if I'm running a vm. I should get 8 more gigs at least.

Attached: spaget.jpg (960x738, 58K)

why not? It's my designated shitposting browser, so that I can keep Jow Forums separeted from other stuff.
But firefox isn't exactly better anymore.

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-09-25 09-13-10.png (303x314, 26K)

128 GB

RAM is needed either for professional work which I would therefore exclude or gaming. Other thing may be running heavy DEs and making shots of it. That is also a degeneracy. Most sane people would run command line environment preferably even on a server. People who actually do something more than browse boards.

Attached: 1537796429443.jpg (777x932, 58K)

Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator and occasionally Premiere.

In my current project we had to upgrade to 16 GB because our computers always sat at 95% memory usage with 8GB of ram and something would freeze and/or crash every now and then. So I guess that if you are a neet weaboo you could get by with just 4GB.

>32GB of RAM
V I R T U A L I Z A T I O N

I need it for VMs and compiling huge programs.

Attached: 1537755912746.jpg (900x1200, 204K)

anyone who works with any media software needs 10 or more gbs

VMs, bloated IDEs (a text editor with addons counts as a an IDE) and compilation.

Because I actually do work on my pc. I have 24gb right now but really need to upgrade because when doing video work, that only accounts for around a 15sec preview buffer at medium quality. I also regularly use +12gb on even fairly simple music projects with a few vst's loaded. I don't get how people live with less than 8gb. What do you people even do on your computers?

Attached: speccy.png (905x649, 49K)