Other urls found in this thread:

khronos.org/developers/code-of-conduct
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>implemented in your phone
>faster than opengl on pc and mobile
>recently got CoC
FUCK THIS SHIT

Why would it be a failure?

Yes, goyim, it is a failure. Use DirectX12, it is the superior choice.

Attached: enhanced-17159-1423068265-32-1496265751.jpg (501x585, 67K)

OpenGL is the only choice.

khronos.org/developers/code-of-conduct
It is now.

Barely any relevant games use it. Which is a shame because this thing makes Doom 2016 hit 90 fps on ultra on my 380X somehow, while openGL doesn't even reach 60.

How so? Nearly all Khronos devs are full time employees of Intel, AMD, Nvidia etc

How the hell does this kill it? This just looks like a company worker policy that any company could have.

jay two cents said Nvidia is focusing on Volken not DX12 DXR... and that raytracing will be Volken based not DX12... not sure if true or not not sure where that retard gets his info he is still watercooling in 2018 ^_^

this isn't as bad as the CoC that the creature is trying to push for the Linux kernel, this looks more like any regular corporate CoC

not many native windows games use it (from what i know) but RPCS3 benefits greatly from it and i think dolphin does, too.

vulkan is what's breathing life into linux gaming at the moment, rise of the tomb raider uses vulkan and is one of the best linux ports. DXVK for wine is also what convinced me to jump ship, making titles like witcher 3 and nier automata work. MHW, yakuza 0 and n sane trilogy all worked day 1 (or close enough to day 1) ootb thanks to DXVK/vulkan

ALL HAIL VULCAN

What GPU?

Vulkan and DX12 will both support built in raycast instructions, probably OpenGL will too just because of legacy stuff

I don't think its a failure, its the only viable and true multiplatform option for modern graphics. If you go to make a new graphics program today, that is supposed to in any way push the boundaries of technology, Vulkan is the only option, because OpenGL is shit, and DX12 is proprietary.

And a few games have implemented it to great success, plus Unity has a vulkan graphics target option which means most Unity games could be vulkan if they were just rebuilt

gtx 3.5 + .5GB

Haha, this never gets old

So when will it start being used more widely? What will it take for it to be adopted by most games and studios and become a real competitor to DX12?

>this isn't as bad as the CoC that the creature is trying to push for the Linux kernel
What? It's the exact same one.

When it first hit I was hoping to see dozens of games have support for it and years later, I've only played 2 games that have it, which sucks. It makes games run like an absolute fucking dream.

Just momentum. You have to realize the vast majority of current engines are fundamentally designed for the OpenGL/D3D10 model, and they will probably never change. It will take new engines being written from the ground up to truly take advantage of what the new APIs bring, and that will not happen fast.

Also there are still many GPUs out there that don't support Vulkan, eg. anything prior to Kepler/GCN/Skylake.

I wonder what even motivates people to write software that will only become useful 10 years from now

Maybe the fact that it feels like the only reasonable thing to do. There's no point in writing software that is a dead end.

Also, "used by 90%+ of all software" is not the same thing as "useful". Vulkan is definitely useful right now, for tons of things. It is for instance the only sane way to write any software that does headless rendering.

>nier automata
Unfortunately, without FAR the performance is still hobbled on Linux. I mean, I am using a card which is technically below minimum specs (GTX 670 overclocked).
I bought NieR hoping it would work, and I got baited into thinking it did work, but two hours in the performance tanked for no reason and I spent some time trying to fix it.
Eventually I gave up and installed windows because I can actually see myself finishing this game now that I started it.
But that's not to say the windows experience was much better. The game runs at a good frame-rate on maximum settings using FAR but actually getting windows to a usable state where FAR would work took many many hours of work.

Nvidia likes Vulkan for the same reason they liked OpenGL, because it has an extension feature. Both DirectX 12 and Vulkan have raytracing that is hardware accelerated on RTX cards, but DX Rays works on anything (if only in software) and Vulkan raytracing is currently an Nvidia specific extension.

right but Jay said nvidia people told him they where targeting Volken performance rather than Dx12.

that's big deal for Linux gaming and PS5 potentially and possibly means xbox4 might even ditch directX.

mmm but jay two cents in his 2080ti video showed them scaling like 30% more performance or what ever on dx12 games. then he played doom in Volken and it was like 100% performance increase. dx dead?

and he specially said in that video that nvidia reps told him to check out the volken performance because "that's what they are focusing on in general RTX performance and for RTX raytracing"

DX12 was never going to work, considering Playstation uses a custom spin of BSD, and rivals Xbox in sales, there was no way developers were going to develop for multiple apis like that
Vulken was the way from the beginning because it works on all platforms

>a real competitor to DX12
Isn't it barely ever used as well?

Yes, and Vulkan is making more leeway because of

Well I meant to say DirectX in general

If vulkan is kill because of this CoC then so is opengl since Cronus oops I meant Saturn oops I meant Khronos is behind both