Getting into Linux

alright. i finally feel like getting into linux i guess. especially with steam coming out with the whole proton thing. what distro should i go with? i've got a macbook pro mid 2012 (yea yea, had to buy one for dev shit).

currently use my macbook for:
>webdev (js + nodejs)
>some java work
>unity3d work
>photoshop/premiere/blender
>ableton live music stuff
>kodi

all the stuff i use is multiplat with linux releases except for ableton, which would need to run well with wine. ableton not working would be a deal breaker for me since i do collab with some friends using it

but yeah, shill me your fav distro, and why i should pick it over the others. thanks friend-os.

Attached: topkek2.jpg (426x480, 40K)

Other urls found in this thread:

appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=27440
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Gentoo

why gentoo over arch for instance?

>iShit
stopped reading right there

install gentoo

why over manjaro?

i'd have used a hackintosh but having the risk of it breaking with every update is not something i wanted

None. It's usually really specialized shit that people choose one distro over another. Some have trickier but cleaner installs, different desktop environments, different package managers or support really specialized hardware but otherwise, what you'll be getting is pretty much the same after you've set it up.

>ableton
Have you tried mixx?
In any case, anything KDE should play well with a High DPI display, openSUSE being the best KDE distro.

also

thanks for pointing me out to that thread

>have you tried mixx?
nope, but wouldn't be able to, since i do collab work with people who use ableton

Literally arch. No bloat, easy to use and insane documentation with clear examples on the arch wiki but it requires a minimum IQ of 13 in order to install it so it might be a deal breaker for you.

Ableton works
appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=27440

>requires a minimum IQ of 13
I always knew Arch users were dumb

how does Arch compare to gentoo? what's the main difference?

also, how easy is it to switch between desktop environments one a distro is installed?

>also, how easy is it to switch between desktop environments one a distro is installed?

Depends on the distro. Most well-known distros have alternative DEs available in their repositories but nearly all distros are biased in their support towards one DE. Depends on whether the packages are precompiled or not too. Easy distros have package managers dealing with precompiled packages while more advanced distros need to compile everything from source.

There's no shame going to a beginner distro in Linux especially if your goal is to try as much stuff out.

thanks! i really don't feel like having to compile anything, but i don't bloat and want to be able to switch between multiple DEs to try shit out as you said.

is Arch a good option then?

Something super simple, like a solid well-implemented openbox desktop on a stable linux base, see BunsenLabs

install gentoo
OP just install ubuntu lol

i'm not very fond of ubuntu, it comes with a bunch of shit already installed and looks like hot garbage

>how does Arch compare to gentoo? what's the main difference?
In order to install Gentoo you would need to compile everything kernel, DE, software, everything. While in arch, their packages are already compiled.
>also, how easy is it to switch between desktop environments one a distro is installed?
You can install a login manager like gdm and sddm and you could switch DE's easily from there or you could edit your .xinitrc file and startx to start your DE, look at the wiki for more info.

alright, ill take a look at the arch wiki. thanks friend-o.

That's because Ubuntu's made to cater to as many users and as many systems you fucking maggot. And it has a live install so you can try it out without actually installing anything.

If you're starting out with Arch you'll have a much harder time, as good as Arch's documentation is, since you've got zero background on Linux. Arch is a good second distro once you have some idea around a Linux distro.

Stop caring what others think about you and go with the most effective method you baby.

Manjaro + xfce, its neat and i just like it

>all the stuff i use is multiplat with linux releases
>photoshop
What did he mean by this?

Attached: wat-12.png (404x404, 118K)

There's rarely any need to use anything but Debian. Debian Stable is very much as the name implies, updates being rare and non-breaking. If you absolutely need the latest versions of everything, you can use Testing or Unstable instead (Unstable isn't actually particularly unstable, it just receives very frequent updates), but there hasn't really been a great need for that for the last years. I even run my main desktop on Stable, and have only very rarely missed having the latest version of something. Also Apt is best package manager.

i dont give a shit about what others think of me
i've used ubuntu in the past
i don't like it
arch looks interesting
i want to try it

sorry photoshop isnt but works fine on wine so who cares

am i srsly gonna be the only one to tell this dude he needs to stick with macos
-_-

>i've used ubuntu in the past
>i don't like it
Understandable. Ubuntu is Debian with added crap on top. You should try it without the crap.

Yes.

Save yourself time and trouble and go with Ubuntu

why?

If you've decided on linux, I'd recommend one of the GNU/Linux distros.

manjaro

bc it's a simpler fit for the things that need to be done imho. also ableton in wine? nah i don't think so. muchos problemas.

if i have to much problems id just go back to macos. i want sometime without so much bloat, that doesnt take this long to boot and just becomes shittier and slower with each update.

installing arch seems like a huge hassle from what im researching, so ill probably give manjaro a try since its basically arch.

Unironically this. The most popular distro, so you'll find tutorials and fixes for common problems 99% of the time. If you don't like GNOME (and I don't blame you), check out the various distros built on Ubuntu, including the flavours:

>elementary OS (pantheon, a customized GNOME based interface)
>Xubuntu (Xfce)
>KDE Neon (KDE) - recommend this over Kubuntu for the latest KDE
>Ubuntu MATE or Budgie (MATE or Budgie)
>Lubuntu (LXDE)
>Mint (Cinnamon only, better to use Ubuntu MATE for MATE as Mint changes the distribution name which can make stuff like adding repositories harder)
>Trisquel (for maximum Freedom at the cost of convenience, rms recommended).

would a minimal install of ubuntu get rid of all the bloat? im currently thinking of manjaro + i3wm

you could do that

what i usually do is install Xubuntu, because I find all the Xfce utilities/file manager/settings daemon useful when running a wm.

But yeah a minimal install would be pretty similar to manjaro minimal.

Coming from someone who uses Arch, install a flavour of Ubuntu. Mainline is fine but people hate GNOME, and I'm particularly partial to Xfce anyways so I would go with Xubuntu.

Arch is easier, but Gentoo is more customizable. Use flags.

Ubuntu because Steam comes ootb for noobs in the distro.

I recommend elementaryOS. It is Ubuntu based distro, so in case of any problems you would easily find some solutions on discussion boards, but you will get interface very similar to that of MacOS. If you don't mind it, try Kubuntu or just plain Ubuntu.

Just don't go for meme distros like Arch or Gentoo.

Manjaro KDE. Easy to use, looks beautiful, has nice shortcuts just like i3 and those are easily customizable without using config files.
Imagine Ubuntu but using KDE and prettier and more up to date packages.