Well, they finally did it

Well, they finally did it.
>node-os.com/

Attached: terminal-window.png (1884x1560, 129K)

Other urls found in this thread:

node-os.com/
node-os.com/docs/
youtube.com/watch?v=-5tak0tHqIg
github.com/NodeOS/NodeOS/issues/397
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I am the slowest.
>Become industry standard 1 year later, considered best practice after 2
Professionals are the worst amateur.

Linux kernel
Good luck COCD

It's gonna be bloated shite, like anything else made with Javascript.
We should rename it Jabbascript, to signify how fat and bloated this awful language makes programs. Fuck electron making every application run its own instance of Chrome.
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Attached: Jabba-the-Hutt.jpg (800x514, 97K)

>Linux
>CoCked
>outdated monolithic thrash

>try to install some cli utility
>3gb of dependencies, 14k packages installed

thanks op, already installed and using it.

This shit's fucking fast!

How do you explain the base instillation size?

Attached: Screenshot_20180925-111640.png (1080x1920, 196K)

Could they replace the linux underpinning with OpenBSD instead to avoid CoC?

Nice. Why?

Knowing that it's a JS project, they probably want the CoC

Wasn't Javascript supposed to be for website scripting? How did we get to this point?

>node-os.com/
>NodeOS is an operating system built entirely in Javascript and using npm as it’s package manager.
>as it's package manager
>it's
why

Pointless Linux + gnome it's basically the same

doesn't have all the software an average linux distro comes with by default. that's basically a netinstall if anything. i think latest ubuntu netinstall was like 80mb or so.

>npm install

???

Attached: nodeOS.jpg (596x500, 30K)

Social Javascript Warriors

for the same reason vb was hated in the 90s: it's accessible and easy to learn. even if it's shit.

>NodeOS is an operating system built entirely in Javascript
B-but why?

Attached: 1535702491103.jpg (600x600, 110K)

>year 3
>nodeOS starts offering a bundle containing the OS + the isOdd() function for $29.99
>sells like hotcakes

Attached: 265[1].gif (750x750, 22K)

Has anyone tried this on virtualbox? Downloading it now.

>just fuck my os up famalam

Click on "DOCS" on the top of the page.

node-os.com/docs/

Attached: nodeos.png (1141x362, 51K)

Also sorry for not reporting it properly if you're affiliated with the project, don't wanna link my Github account to any activity on Jow Forums.

>built entirely in JavaScript on top of the Linux kernel
Ah yes.

That gives me both hope and sadness in equal amounts

>NodeOS is an operating system built entirely in Javascript

I am not even a programmer but somehow this horrifies me.

>js is bloadd :DDD
>social justcie warriors
>lol COC

Does anyone here have any valid arguments against an operating system made for npm? I think it's kind of unnecessary because regular GNU/Linux already supports npm nicely.

What could possibly go wrong with such design?

Attached: 1535975731412.png (817x891, 32K)

Cool, my new daily runner.

is this ms new plan to try to make windows look good

That shit haven't been updated for a year now.

Attached: 15321015075454396.png (506x662, 128K)

>No code of conduct
Well.. there's that

>node-os is a full operating system built on top of the linux kernel
it's still not a "node os"

What's the problem? Js is faster than python that used in majority of almist any distro subsystems and utilities and no one complains about python being slow.

I prefer react OS

>the community is important enough to ostracize whole groups for having incorrect or unpopular views
>the community is not a valid reason for disliking a project

Pick one.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, NodeOS/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, NodeOS plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning NodeOS system made useful by the NodeOS corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the NodeOS system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of NodeOS which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the NodeOS system, developed by the Javascript Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the NodeOS operating system: the whole system is basically NodeOS with Linux added, or NodeOS/Linux. Many of the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of NodeOS/Linux.

Attached: 2a7135fa1ea22ca3fb05dea131a3248e.jpg (1312x2000, 256K)

This is just bootstrap + network driver. The OS itself downloads from npm-registry during the installation.

My sides top kekissimo

How many liters of cum do you drink in a week?

I use node.is daily, but this is a very stupid idea. But it might be a descent docker image for node, never the less.
And why did the write about >244,000 available packages in npm? Don't this idiots understand that a great portion of them is a frontend stuff: react and vue components, animation libs and so on?
Npm is useless for a role of you major package manager.

>Operating system built in JS
What the actual fuck

When will this abomination die?
I want to go back to web 1.0 when my browser didn't use 20gb of ram.

Attached: learn_javascript_on_mac_thumb1200_16-9.jpg (1200x675, 28K)

> Guys, lets go and waste some fucking time in the most useless but creative way
>
> Node-os developers

> But it might be a descent docker image for node, never the less.
Nah, I'm getting my words back, without a normal package manager you will not be able to do shit with this image.

They just wasted their precious lifetime for this... for this... I don't even know how to call this pathetic shit.

what's the point of this

Disliking a project based on who made it is like disliking a cake because you don't like how the chef looks. It it a logical fallacy and does not make the project any worse. The cake is still sweet.

You just doxxed yourself. :)

how?

Just restrict yourself to surfing the subset of the web that you like. What's the problem?

>reddit spaceing

So cunts, let's hear it.

What's the actual fucking point of this? What is the projects ultimate goal.

No, I'm not going to visit your site. You need to give me an entrée first.

Attached: 02820db6ec2e1c8bed6f4e687d1673a3.jpg (564x564, 81K)

>those subnets eventually end up implementing mandatory javascript for the sake of looking more "modern"
>nothing you can do about it

I believe in you user.

>Install OS
>Downloads hundreds of compromised packages to get basic functionality
>It's exactly as fast as JavaScript is when you give it literally all your hardware
>Try to boot one day
>npm ERR! 404 'left-pad' is not in the npm registry.
>Entire system grinds to a halt
Wow the future is now.

Attached: 1363323323023.jpg (806x605, 305K)

Big (for specific use cases) if running some node.js script alone would be way faster than other OSes.

Also they say nowhere that it is built entirely with Javascript, it is the main thing in the OS in some superficial level.

imagine writing OS level scripts... but with a high level scripting language with industry backing instead of bash

i just realized how much injection potential there is for web servers

Lol web development

yet another niche distro that does nothing but fragment the linux experience so normies get scared of it. good work guys.

Attached: 10311741_10153110650592524_1153618095799557313_n.jpg (937x960, 55K)

I'm going to be installing it on realhardware, what am i in for Jow Forums

nothing but fucking tears from here on out.

>Running a front-end language on the backend
>Creating an entire operating system out of a web programming language

Attached: a595f4ca72cf8a67ecb46ac68ccf914b.jpg (638x479, 45K)

I don't see what's wrong with having npm as it is package manager

Can't you fags just check the repo and see it is a 2 years old project with active community?

You acting like OP is shilling it for you or some shit.

Python is not fashionable enough to hate.

>Wow the future is now.
Now the future is wow.

I can see some pretty cool use cases for this, like making some file management tools that were easy/fast to develop and had a nice, easily customizable UI.

Of course, you'd want this to be sandboxed as fuck from any browser script, or else it could nuke the system.

This is a cake made of rotting shit made by a chef with downs syndrome

Gopher, IRC and a bunch of other text boards are virtually unchanged. Hell, kitschy early Web 2.0 forums like AnimeSuki are still a thing.

>system directories like /etc are user-level now and are stored in $HOME
what the actual fuck

>this guy steals your princess Leia
What do you do?

>average /g poster
clueless imbecile

Attached: image.jpg (529x278, 84K)

youtube.com/watch?v=-5tak0tHqIg

Please post back with screencap and experience.

Maybe i'm retarded and picked a broken build but there are lots of unfixed bugs like this one
github.com/NodeOS/NodeOS/issues/397

This is a meme hobby project, looks like they did this for a hackaton and attempted to keep it going except no on had time or motivation to do anything with the project.

Attached: nodeos.png (1055x732, 228K)

>node-os is a full operating system built on top of the linux kernel
>on top of the linux kernel

So it's just a bastardized Distribution that has a node js frontend?

Yikes

>t. average /g poster

great what I always wanted was the shittiest package manager to run my whole OS.