Monitor buying

>spend a lot of time looking at different monitor models
>shitloads of comparisons
>finally end up with Dell monitor because of 2ms reaction time and 4ms input lag
>"Yeah great monitor but we don't suggest it for FPS gaming you will have a lot of ghosting blablabla"
How is this possible? Did I buy a bad monitor or are monitor people just autists?

Attached: dell-2417dg-mntr-ondesk2-640x640[1].jpg (640x427, 43K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.ca/Acer-FREESYNC-Technology-XFA240-bmjdpr/dp/B06ZYHZ6R6/
amazon.ca/AOC-G2460PF-24-Inch-Gaming-Monitor/dp/B01BV1XBE
amazon.com/43UD79-B-Accessories-SurgePro-6-Outlet-Universal/dp/B071WMP77C/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1537893909&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=lg 43ud79-b&psc=1
amazon.com/Acer-SB220Q-Ultra-Thin-Frame-Monitor/dp/B07CVL2D2S?crid=3VRCRO0QBCCKV&keywords=ips 75hz&qid=1537896673&sprefix=ips 75&sr=8-4&ref=mp_s_a_1_4
youtube.com/watch?v=7SmUhLLvC34
twitter.com/AnonBabble

for fps games you want no more than 1ms and 144hz or 240hz

I just want to play some games in general. But I am not interested in >75hz as I don't have a 1080TI anyway.
Why do they make it so bothersome?

you don't need a 1080ti lol, you can get 144 fps on 1060's and up, and 970's and up

god I'm going to cancel my order now fuck me

where do you live? id suggest
amazon.ca/Acer-FREESYNC-Technology-XFA240-bmjdpr/dp/B06ZYHZ6R6/
because of the TN panel (linked amazon canada)
or
amazon.ca/AOC-G2460PF-24-Inch-Gaming-Monitor/dp/B01BV1XBE
if you wanna go a bit cheaper and get LED panel

It'll be fine. Disregard opinions of gamers when it comes to those things.

you've clearly never used a 144hz monitor

I've had IPS panels with higher response times than that and a VA panel (which are famed for their ghosting) and I've never noticed any problems in FPS'. I haven't seen any on any of my friends' random assortment of monitors either so I really suspect it's a load of bunk.
I'm not one of those Quake/CS pro types though, so maybe there's something their special eyes can see that mine can't.

you've never turned around in game? i'm not a gamer god cs:go pro either but you can see screen tearing all over the place at 60hz compared to 144hz. i agree that 240hz is kinda stupid and super little difference compare to 144hz but the jump from 60 to 144 is huge

Um, the pic in the OP is Dell S2417DG, which is 165Hz when overclocked. Which one didya buy?

What monitor are you using now? Do you see anything blatantly wrong with it? No? Then get whatever you want. Don't let anyone bully you into getting a meme.
>because of the TN panel
>if you wanna go a bit cheaper and get LED panel
You have absolutely no fucking idea what you're talking about.
Opinion disregarded. I do own a 144hz monitor.

I was talking specifically about ghosting and response times.
But as regards refresh rate: If your screen is tearing that isn't a refresh rate issue, that's a sync issue. What you do get when turning around quickly is a limited number of frames, I agree 100 Hz is smoother than 60 Hz (the only two I've owned), I don't notice the difference all that much but that's probably because it's only 40 Hz higher, if I went up to 144 Hz I'm sure it would be more notable.

well yeah response times are mainly limited to fps games, i misunderstood but i don't think ive personally seen a 144hz monitor without 1ms response time, and 144hz is still highly reccomended

But why hasnt anyone mentoined that ghosting and refresh rate are not linearly correlated?

The 60hz variant

Guys is 144Hz a meme? I'm debating hard if I want to swap my 60Hz IPS for a 144Hz TN. I don't have a great computer so I will only really hit 144FPS in games like csgo.

Attached: 1530718841757.jpg (600x525, 39K)

CSGO is that one game where it really matters

Kind of, yeah. Depends on how autistic you are. I can and do play on both just fine.

bro, you're not a pro gamer, who gives a shit

No.
Stop gaming.
Be a productive individual and buy this amazon.com/43UD79-B-Accessories-SurgePro-6-Outlet-Universal/dp/B071WMP77C/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1537893909&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=lg 43ud79-b&psc=1

It is the only way I still have contact with a few friends

sounds like a worthless relationship then

Attached: 1536953128924.jpg (720x720, 89K)

The only contact you have with them is through video games?
Sounds like it's time to grow up user.

not a gaymer but ghosting is obnoxious for reading text also as it leaves a trailing after image when scrolling

They have graduated CS and now spend their entire lives gaming and programming like a bunch of children. But they are my friends so I upgraded my pc to play games together

You could also make a compromise and go with a IPS display and 75 hz. amazon.com/Acer-SB220Q-Ultra-Thin-Frame-Monitor/dp/B07CVL2D2S?crid=3VRCRO0QBCCKV&keywords=ips 75hz&qid=1537896673&sprefix=ips 75&sr=8-4&ref=mp_s_a_1_4

>programming like a bunch of children
Yes yes, having a job and being productive like they shouldn't be. Yes yes, everyone should be an unintelligent slob of jelly like you and ask questions all day about monitors.

Just get a nice CRT

Attached: IMG_20180925_183129.jpg (3968x2976, 2.05M)

Yah I don’t even have that great of a pc but I hit 144 on most games.

My eyes just aren't good enough to tell the difference between 30 fps and 144 fps, sure maybe things are a little smoother but I don't get the people who are saying its LITERALLY UNPLAYABLE. I care more about the color accuracy of my monitors then anything else.

>4K VA 60Hz 32" panel with massive input lag and ghosting
>Still the top rank in CS and better than 99% of Jow Forums in any kind of game where lag matters

top kek

>unironically look for a crt
>barely any for sale
Fuck. I'm too late.

Never give up. But I honestly wouldn't recommend it for a very modern system, I was memeing in my post.

Do you notice any difference between a 60 hz monitor and a 144+ hz monitor (there's 1080p monitors that go to 240 hz now).
Wondering if I should go the 4k or the 240hz path

Yes it is a meme.

>it is okay to spend 16 hours per day behind a pc

Attached: software engineer.jpg (1074x1044, 153K)

Not that guy but using your brain will actually filter out the effect of screen tearing if you see it enough while gaming. But I've been using v-sync for a while now and can see it everywhere when off.
An interesting anecdote is when I was a kid I inadvertently got used to gaming with headphones that had reverse stereo on for some reason. I could pinpoint sounds in games even with the sound completely backwards due to years of my brain being conditioned to, and the effect would only happen when I would put headphones on while gaming (not IRL). When I got new headphones I had to completely relearn to how to pinpoint sound the normal way.

Attached: 1534081100539.jpg (777x704, 57K)

its like cars. You dont realize what youve been missing until you upgrade then you can never go back.

bmp

>its like cars.
What the actual fuck do you mean? Your point is invalid either way though..

>reverse stereo

You mean you put them on the wrong way around?

He probably just plugged them in the wrong way. Honest mistake - no need to bully him.

>Did I buy a bad monitor or are monitor people just autists?
yes

ignore the idiot, 144hz is mostly irrelevant and you don't need it unless you want to become a pro CSGO player

>because of the TN panel
TN isn't a positive you fucking moron.

All monitors are a scam.

Each and every one of those IPS monitor at 1440p have the same exact fucking panel and it is the same exact panel from 2015. There has not been any new changes, revisions or whatever to that specific panel since 2015.

You are essentially throwing away hundreds of dollars at something that came out in 2015. Oh, have fun with the backlight bleed and dead pixels.

What do you mean? How is a 60hz monitor the best monitor for CS, a game that literally offers an advantage with better framerate and no lag?

Dell monitors are the best. I once bought an Acer and it was absolute shit compared to my old dell. I still have my dell IPS monitor after 10 years. Don't fall for PC gayming nonsense.

It is a meme. It feels like 60 fps again once you get used to it

>You are essentially throwing away hundreds of dollars at something that came out in 2015
Do you think any existing monitor technologies are improving significantly? If you do, then I have some pretty bad fucking news for you.
The only real improvements in the past 10 years have been to resolution and size.

Get a 144hz+ FPS shitter monitor or get a VA/OLED TV with a contrast ratio of at least 5000:1 and input lag under 35ms. RTINGS.com lists all those specs for TV's. I'd recommend a VA panel over OLED because of image retention, future OLEDS will probably fix this issue though.

Yeah, I do. TVs with MicroLED will come out next year. New IPS panels will come out next year by LG and Samsung.

>The only real improvements in the past 10 years have been to resolution and size.
You are fucking stupid.

I really only got the Dell because it was the cheapest that didn’t look like pathetic gaymur nonsense (red details or weird bulky design) and can be tilted etc

Future OLEDs won't be a thing because everyone will drop it soon.

>TVs with MicroLED will come out next year
Which won't matter for 99% of people because they'll cost five figures

>he's a poorfag

Attached: 1515653387284.png (257x200, 95K)

>he thinks MicroLED will be ready next year
Holy hell, that's fucking cute.
>New IPS panels
Lol sure. And what exactly is new about them?
>You are fucking stupid.
Instead of typing that you could have mentioned some of the improvements. There is obviously a plethora of them. Oh wait...

>are monitor people just autists?
Maybe... I just bought two U2415s (still waiting on one to be delivered for some reason) because I wanted to replace the portrait monitors that were on the sides of my 40" 4K display.

How much did you get fucked over by blb?

Meme unless you play competitive games or have a 1080 or better with g -sync.

This in regards to IPS. I don't necessarily agree with the dead pixels thing, but IPS are otherwise total fucking garbage monitors when you measure their pro's and con's against ANY other panel type nowadays.

Wow! IPS has slightly more accurate colors than a modern mid-tier TN and 0.000001% better color accuracy than modern VA's! Totally worth the glaring IPS glow that's like a permanent flashlight inside your screen shining into your eyes!

Attached: Untitled.jpg (1920x1080, 236K)

OLED is the most significant display tech since color CRTs. OLED is only going up from here.

>I do own a 144hz monitor
do you use an hdmi cable to run video feed to it?

>he doesn't know about HDMI 2.0

Attached: 1515707145318.gif (230x270, 60K)

Let's be honest, every panel types sucks in its own way. VA has gamma shift if you go even slightly off angle, the edges wash out, and blacks get crushed in the center. Also gray-to-gray smearing.

Attached: VA vs IPS vs TN.jpg (2138x512, 34K)

If you almost exclusively play competitive online FPS and are really good at them then get a 144hz. If you enjoy having good image quality and play a mix of game genres and watching movies and shows then get a VA panel. Never buy IPS, don't let people trick you into thinking they produce better quality images than even a modern TN.

Hmm, I wonder why no one does color work on VA or TN-monitors. It's almost like there must be some sort of problem with these monitors that we're just not seeing. Really makes you think doesn't it?
>he doesn't know that you don't even need HDMI 2.0 to get 144hz@1080p
>he's gonna meme now and say he meant 144@1440p

Cease breathing retarded VA-shill.

The one I have is now is pretty good. There's a tiny bit in the upper left portion (or bottom left in portrait) but it's very subtle. Not noticeable during regular use. It's very "green" to my eye coming of off the CCFL displays (Dell 2007FPB) I was using though.

sorry you have such a standard setup, I need at least a 15 foot cable because my monitor's on a wheeled table with my keyboard and I chill on my couch at 144 hz. barely any dp cables can do it and there isn't a single hdmi cable that can. my monitor goes to 240 hz but nobody makes a cable long enough that can run it.

My bad, I was thinking about the 2515. The 2415 isn't factory calibrated, is it?

>VA has gamma shift if you go even slightly off angle
Doesn't matter if you're sitting in front of the screen at the proper height like you should be with any monitor or TV.

>every panel types sucks in its own way
But some suck so much more than others, IPS glow is the worst offender.

>the edges wash out
Every VA I've ever seen does the opposite actually, VA's tend to have a natural vignette effect where the corners darken a bit, I personally don't mind this at all and it's much preferable to IPS with their backlight bleed and glowing.

>blacks get crushed in the center
I honestly don't know how true this is, It's not something I've ever noticed.

>gray-to-gray smearing
True, the one actual drawback of most VA's. You can get 144hz VA's that basically make this not an issue though. And really compared to the glaring drawbacks of IPS it's not a big issue unless you have a really poor quality VA like some $80-120 BenQ VA's that are 19-22 inches, I forget the model numbers.

>he bought an IPS

I bet you intentionally avoid watching/playing anything that doesn't exclusively take place in broad daylight so that you can pretend your display doesn't completely suck ass.

Attached: ips-glow-backlight-bleed.jpg (640x361, 18K)

>The 2415 isn't factory calibrated, is it?
It is, and it's plenty accurate out of the box (only the "Red3" is above 2.0 according to their test sheet), but those old monitors were really warm and are still fresh in my mind. I'm just going to have to recalibrate my VA monitor to match the two 2415s.

>Doesn't matter if you're sitting in front of the screen at the proper height like you should be with any monitor or TV.
It does, you fucking mong. I really can't comprehend how it's possible for so many retards to misunderstand viewing angles. Consider this: Is the angle between your eyes and the center of the screen the same as the angle between your eyes and the edges of the screen?
>But some suck so much more than others, IPS glow is the worst offender.
That's your opinion. Yes, it's pretty bad.
>Every VA I've ever seen does the opposite actually
VAs light up at the edges on dark content. It's pretty bad as well.
>I honestly don't know how true this is
It very true but some panels are worse than others.
I did. I didn't get a garbage one with backlight issues though, so get fucked.
>muh 3000-5000:1 contrast ratio suddenly makes dark content watchable
Lmoaing@you're sad existence.
Some people can actually afford a proper display for media. You know, like OLED, and high end plasma before that.
Does it come with a calibration sheet and all? Thought that was only the more expensive models.

This is the shit I'm talking about:
youtube.com/watch?v=7SmUhLLvC34

The picture visibly changes just by turning your head to the left and right.

>VA's tend to have a natural vignette effect where the corners darken a bit
It depends on what's on the screen. Dark scenes lighten up at the edges, like in the video, while light scenes will darken. I guess it's more accurate to say it loses contrast at the edges.

>Doesn't matter if you're sitting in front of the screen at the proper height like you should be with any monitor or TV
I use my PC for many hours a day, and tend to shift position a lot. I lean to one side or another, sit cross-legged or with my feet up or under me, leaning back, etc. Sitting rigidly in one position all the time would get extremely uncomfortable.

>Does it come with a calibration sheet and all?
Yeah. Pretty nice deal (at least I think) for ~$220 apiece.

I played with 12ms @ 60hz for years without issues.

LOL didn't read. I don't even need to use words to show how shit IPS is.

Attached: a-mvavss-ips2.jpg (1480x564, 88K)

Oh wow, both VA and IPS are shit??? Who would have thought.

Attached: 1577503100_1497696602.jpg (1000x491, 138K)

Having extensive experience with all types of monitors, this image is extremely accurate.

I choose IPS because the glow isn't as noticeable in your peripheral vision. TN was always the worst for me due to the retarded color shift, even when sitting at a proper distance.

>post exclusively dark pics
>wahh VA is best
>someone else posts exclusively bright pics
>wahh IPS is best
get a CRT you fucking retards

t. 1080ti

>Did I buy a bad monitor or are monitor people just autists?
You make it sound like the two are mutually exclusive.

>just get a meme900
>enjoy your 60-80 cd/m^2 calibrated brightness
No thank you. I like to be able to see what's on my monitor during the day. Can't wait for a proper self-emissive display that doesn't self-destruct in a year.

IPS isn't that bad if you don't care about overall image quality

Same is true for VA and TN.

learn to use paragraphs and linebreaks, you fucking redditor

redpill me buying a u2412m in 2018

Someone tell me if the Acer GN246HL is any good. A local store has them for quite cheap and I want to upgrade to 144Hz.

Attached: acer.jpg (425x296, 23K)

>follow the opinions of gamers
lol

Gaymen monitors are a meme, just get something with decent colours and

>tn panel
how much is it listed for?

Is the Samsung C27HG70 an okay choice?

It will be for gaming on a PS4 Pro, watching movies and just consuming media. I don't do any serious gaming and don't need a 240hz TN panel. Like if I want better visuals over a stupid fast refresh rate will I fuck up?

seems fine to me

I think about AOC Agon AG271QG or ViewSonic XG2703-GS for now.
It should suffice until OLED becomes properly implemented and we finally have CTR level of quality with refresh/blacks/colors/lighting.

get a 20$ crt that can do 1024x768 at 120hz.

stop wasting your time. gsync/freesync will only be good for esports when its on 500hz monitors.

so my 1080p monitor from 2009 just died
does it make sense to get a 4K monitor now if I won't be upgrading my PC for another 2 or 3 years (so I won't be able to play 4K games until then) just for a better experience browsing web and using CAD software?
or should I get a 1080p monitor for cheap and wait with the 4K upgrade?
are 4K displays getting cheaper/better quickly enough to justify the wait?

>there are still no 4k 32" HDR (10 bit) monitors

absolutely disgusting, fucking gooks need to be shot