What's your opinion about Clang?

What's your opinion about Clang?
Is it better than GCC? Will it replace GCC?

Attached: clang.png (1200x901, 336K)

Other urls found in this thread:

clang.llvm.org/extra/clangd.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

OpenBSD switched to Clang.
Faster and the output is more intelligible

Why are corporations moving away from gcc? It it because of gpl? What's wrong with that?

Clang is the electron of compilers.
Change my mind.

I don't know that much about Clang, that's why I made this thread but from what I have heard it has a better performance compared to gcc. And Clang it's build upon LLVM (Low Level Virtual Machine), I don't understand very well what is it, but Nvidia, Fedora, Debian they all adopted LLVM.

Clang >>> gcc

In general, because llvm is more open (both in strict licensing terms and in how the project is managed) and has a more modern, modular codebase, new compiler ideas nowadays usually start out getting implemented in llvm and then get ported/copied to gcc afterwards.

Still, a lot of legacy code designed to work well with gcc's various idiosyncrasies/extensions still exists. There will probably be a fair amount of projects within the linux ecosystem that need gcc to compile for the foreseeable future.

Usually GCC makes faster executables.

Because the codebase is a mess, and it is easier to work with clang/llvm than gcc.

I use this for writing code.

clang.llvm.org/extra/clangd.html

clang is a half baked compiler.
gcc runs on everything, compiles code even for the toaster ISA and every fucking tool is built like gcc.
corps love cuckBSD licenses in general.

GCC and Clang are both perfectly acceptable compilers. You should use what you prefer. In 30 years it might replace GCC but by then who knows how popular C/C++ will be.

>gcc runs on everything, compiles code even for the toaster ISA and every fucking tool is built like gcc.
>corps love cuckBSD licenses in general.

^

/clang/ is an acquired taste.

Explain what llvm is concretely

What part of the wikipedia article didnt you understand?

if optimization is the priority: clang beats gcc
if cross-platform and compatibility is the priority, gcc wins

that's why both exist, though on the long-term(not to say eventually) i expect clang to come out on top

I like that clang runs on both macos and windows so I can compile the same code-base with the same extensions.

The name of a project that centers around projects that use the LLVM IR and supporting tools.

Is Clang FOSS?

When I was programming I enjoyed using Clang more than GCC. More modern and has less overhead IMO

I can't, you're right.