/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Stupid question thread.
Ask your stupid questions here.

>Read
→ → → → → → → → → → → → → → → → → →

>search
>ddg.gg/lite

>redirect anons making their own threads with >GNU/Linux questions?
>PC building?
>Good, cheap, laptops?
>Cheap electronics?
>Windows questions?
>Where can I get Win10 LTSB?
>How do I activate Win10/Win7?
pastebin.com/smjvLZN4
pastebin.com/quC0gz4j
pastebin.com/gHCCFBkt
pastebin.com/4LvsAFk7

Previous thread:

Attached: 73.jpg (400x400, 30K)

Other urls found in this thread:

bing.com/search?q=combine two isp connections
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11
gist.github.com/joepie91/5a9909939e6ce7d09e29
theregister.co.uk/2011/09/26/hidemyass_lulzsec_controversy/
github.com/HelpSeeker/Restricted-Webm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Where's the chipset on this mobo?
I don't see a heatsink.

Attached: aorus.png (1000x860, 447K)

If I have an array of doubles of size 360, and I want to create the averages of every sequential element and place the averages between the corresponding elements in a new array, how large should the new array be?

Say I want to do this:

[1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6] -> [1, 1.5, 2, 2.5, 3, 3.5, 4, 4.5, 5, 5.5, 6]

I see that with 6 elements I only need (6-1) more. Is that true for n elements with (n-1) required to add the averages?

How can I backup the header of an encrypted containerfile(veracrypt)?

Attached: ballade_pour_adeline1.jpg (1187x1600, 271K)

why is this happening to me?

Attached: 4chan error.png (970x120, 75K)

Is the following a correct PC assembly sequence?
0. Touch the central heating radiator
1. Remove all the case covers
2. Install the PSU
3. Install and fix the motherboard
4. Put all the cables in place
5. Install the CPU
6. Install the RAM
7. Install the CPU Heatsink and coolers
8. Install M.2 SSD
9. Install GPU
10. Put all the covers back on

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 92K)

>0. Touch the central heating radiator
to ground myself I wash my hands

is it normal to get some kind of coil whine sound when running userbenchmark thing?

help me!

Attached: image_1.jpg (1024x1015, 497K)

I see two heatsinks.
>Team up. Fight on.

Left one is for the SSD and the top one is a tinfoil cover for "1337 looks", I think.

Attached: aorus2.png (1000x860, 338K)

I don't see that url in uMatrix... No idea why you'd see that when browsing here. Post a screenshot.

Looks like heatsinks to me.
Can you zoom in on USB port reflection and enhance so I could see what's underneath?

>5. Install the CPU
>6. Install the RAM
>7. Install the CPU Heatsink and coolers
>8. Install M.2 SSD
Do all that shit first, with the motherboard outside of the case.
Watch one of a million youtube videos on how to assemble a computer if you've never done it before.

No, just means you have shitty caps somewhere.

>Do all that shit first, with the motherboard outside of the case.
Ok, thanks. Didn't think that moving motherboard with the giant heavy cooler on it is a great idea.
Why is this a case?
>Watch one of a million youtube videos on how to assemble a computer if you've never done it before.
I did built two for myself before (2006 and 2012), but the reason I ask is that after the failed the Verge video someone mentioned that assembling with the Mobo mounted is not correct, so here I am.

Can someone knowledgeable help me with >67787867

> after the failed the Verge video
I don't know what you are referencing. Watch the newegg or linus videos on this.

That's now how linking works here

ehem, what do I need to connect 2 ISP's connection into one?

Attached: 15976559.jpg (551x599, 413K)

is it possible to change the default application for a specific task in android without clearing the defaults for the application currently assigned as the default for that task? i have youtube links set to open in browser but i want them to open in the youtube app. the only option my browser gives me is to clear its defaults

Attached: 1528662337268.jpg (550x457, 13K)

bing.com/search?q=combine two isp connections

Clearing the defualts is what you're trying to do.

>mobile
>unlimited
These two seldom go together. "Unlimited" is what it says in the advertising, "fair use" is what it says in the contract.

Either way you probably don't want to do what you're talking about, which is buying a piece of equipment called a load balancing router. Most things can't use both connections at once, with a few possible weird exceptions like torrents.

yes but my browser is also the default app for other tasks and i would like to keep those settings. it's not a huge problem and i don't mind clearing the settings if there's no other option.
i'm just curious if there's a way to change the default app for that one specific task

My bad the link should be fixed now

Can someone explain something about VPNs to me please?

Let's say i connect to IP address 1 located in brazil, other people are able to connect to that same IP address if they are using the same VPN provider correct?
So if another person uploads something illegal and gets in deep trouble for it, can it be traced back to me even though it was somebody else who did it?

Just to give an example; I try to visit a website and it says my IP address is banned for illegal activities, they see that the same IP address has just tried to access their website and could potentially link me to that crime even though it was a different person.

Finally, is it safe to login to websites whilst over a VPN connection or can it be read by other people on the same VPN network? Thanks.

others on the same VPN won't be able to see your traffic - it is encrypted
VPN providers have lots of IPs, so the chances of sharing one with someone else and it causing a problem isn't very likely.
you won't get into trouble for something that someone else does while using the same VPN either; the VPN company will have logs that show you didn't do it, so don't worry about other people's actions getting you in trouble

how hard is it to make an os that runs of on different hardware like x86, power, arm, and etc?
would it be hard to make sure software works across multiple systems?

You have to rewrite everything that interfaces with metal.

For some reason i can't access my headphones from different user. Do you have any ideas why?

Attached: 2018-09-26-00:26:22.png (1327x557, 89K)

Okay, if i disable them on second user then i am able to use them on the first one. But can i use it simultaneously?

I have a lifetime office 365 subscription through my university even after i graduated.
I though i had 1tb of onedrive space foe life but my university just informed me they may be changing policies soon. Does anyone know what the policy change might be? Is it worth me switching cloud storage providers all together?

Attached: cloud-storage-wars-2-800x420.jpg (800x420, 38K)

What instruction sets do "languages" like javascript and php and the like use (mostly referring to web related stuff)?
Is it all based on the intepreter that is running the code to what kinds of instruction sets the code can access ?

>Is it all based on the intepreter that is running the code
yes

run sudo alsa force-reload, should fix most things

How do patches work?
I have a patch it says
a/folder1/file
b/folder1/file
But when i go to apply the patch its says it dosent exist, yet the folder and file are in the expected part.
What does it expect???

So i want to use an ssd as a bootup drive for windows 10, how much space is recommended? 120? 250?

So essentially if I were to make a "program" in javascript could the execution speed over time (not sure how fast the release schedule is for this kind of thing) become better as they upgrade what kinds of instruction sets the code can run under ?
I just recently got into web dev and programming after being a mostly networking kind of guy, so I'm sorry if this all sounds 120% retarded.

250 is comfy if you want to install programs and stuff.
120 is pretty much bare minimum since windows takes like 30+ GB

cute drawing of me

The tech SSDs are based on gets its strength from its size. For performance and reliability it's preferable to be at least 240gb. Considering how cheap they are, that should really be your minimum. You can even get a 512 for like $70

Why does my IP is associated with another one on qbitorrent ?

i mean i'm the only one who download the file but yet there is someone else from the same country who has the same % downloaded, a bug since i don't have it on other torrent clients with the same torrent

how to fix it ? thanks

Attached: Qbit.png (642x39, 3K)

is this feature available in recent versions of Firefox?

Attached: ff.png (760x338, 44K)

Please help, I need a crash course on entry level tech support.

Attached: Chifufu.webm (740x554, 323K)

will putting a subwoofer near my pc disrupt the hdd either magnetically or vibrationally?

Yes

Ironic post is ironic.

The vibrations will affect it, yes.

What brand of ssds are usually reliable?

Samsung evo for performance, adata for cheap reliability. You likely won't notice the difference either way.

>compile firefox with gtk2
Holy shit why was gtk3 ever pushed? its so slow and laggy compared to gtk2. Its night and fucking day.

No, but i found my reason. I was using pulse locally, pulse --system works as intended

What's a good home router for use with a 100mbps internet plan in a small space?

where can i get a MacOSX iso?
I just want to play around with it and learn it and I have never used Mac since literally 3 years old.

Attached: gigig.png (350x250, 100K)

The cheapest thing you can buy.

you can probably find premade virtual machines for VMware etc on torrent sites.

You can't buy it from Apple?

Would one of those old Linksys wrt54gl be good for my use or would I benefit from paying 10 bucks more for a router with wireless n? Complete noob to this shit. Thank you

press button make happen?

How do I?

Can me happening
???
Many questi9ns?

>would I benefit from paying 10 bucks more for a router with wireless n?
Yeah, get N at a minimum.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11

Yes. Also if there's a lot of competing wireless networks in your area, 5ghz may be worth while.

>Yes. Also if there's a lot of competing wireless networks in your area, 5ghz may be worth while.
Won't matter if his devices don't have 5GHz radios.

Most do these days. Also adoption is only going to keep increasing and it's not uncommon to keep a router for a pretty long time.

The fuckers are using the VRM heatsink as Chipset heatsink too.
The madmen, i knew they were bad but this is insane.

Any recommendations on how to get a junior IT job if you don't have a Uni degree (I have something like CISCO certificate)

Anyone with experience in Mid tower Thinkcentres? Do they use propietary CPU heatsinks or i can put any Intel Heatisnk on them?
Like a 212 EVO or an Arctic HSF or any other heatsink that supports a 1155 CPU?

>How can I use a wireless network if my ssid has spaces in between charxters on openbsd.
>I try hostname.if configs but it fails for this reason I guess.
>Also found wireless application which could bypass this problem but I have to format it with backslashes in regular string qoutings. Ssid "15mb 16$ 03275551 issa net br"
How.do I change it to regular string. Plz help

>the VPN company will have logs
Only shit VPNs keep logs

The processor has certain socket type, all heatsyncs would follow this same blueprint. As long as it supports your specific socket type, then the heatsync will work with it

ALL vpn's keep logs because they have nothing else to sell but your data. And you better bet your ass when the government comes knocking your $10 a month wont put a dent in the court fees and lawyer fees they would have vs just giving your information up

I received what was once a high-end laptop this week. But it does not function. I notice the hard drive and DDR3 RAM is missing. The computer powers on, but nothing on the screen. My question is: is it possible/likely that the reason the screen is black due to the lack of HDD+RAM or could it be indicative of another problem?

The screen and keyboard were disconnected upon receiving. I connected everything up. There are no signs of damage elsewhere to my eyes.

Attached: IMG_20180926_003338.jpg (1280x960, 146K)

>The processor has certain socket type, all heatsycs would follow this same blueprint.
Tell that to Dell computers and their proprietary heatisnks where holes are nowhere close to the standard so you only use their heatsinks.
Even the fucking fans in them are proprietary in some computers.

Put a 1-2GB DDR3 RAM stick on it.
Test it.

If it boots into BIOS it works.
If not well i hope you have logic board repair knowledge.

You do realize that if they are keeping logs even though they say that they're not then they're breaking the law, right?
Now I don't know about you but I'm pretty sure you'd lose more money by getting sued to hell and back than you'd gain by selling the web traffic of some neet.
But feel free to actually prove those claims of yours that they keep logs though, if you can.

Attached: Futurelog 229.jpg (5092x6966, 2.66M)

You're an idiot. Only providers in the 14 eyes keep logs you retard.

Attached: 1536145303524.jpg (480x360, 23K)

Not to mention the fact there has been a class action law suit for this EXACT reason.

14 eyes? There are 9 more eyes?

>But feel free to actually prove those claims of yours that they keep logs though
The irony is strong with this one. Somebody overpaid on a 2 year subscription? There's no oversight on any of this shit. It's a whole industry based around selling you the idea you can get away with anything, with the ones held in highest regard being the same ones that have the LEAST oversight.

>more than 9 eyes
Yep. 14 eyes doesn't include
Germany
Belgium
Italy
Sweden
Spain

Any idea what this 3-pin port without a connected cable could be for? It's at the top of the board and says "Blue1".

Attached: IMG_20180926_001037.jpg (1280x960, 182K)

I see you included some very compelling proof in that high quality post of yours, you have entirely convinced me that all VPN providers are breaking the law by showing me factual evidence and not at all just spouting baseless claims yet again.
It truly is a miracle that VPNs exist at all since they're breaking the law so openly.

Considering how retarded you seem to be I feel compelled to actually clarify that this is sarcasm to you specifically. Because odds are pretty good you wouldn't grasp it otherwise.

Attached: Futurelog 166.jpg (5092x6966, 2.2M)

user, I've had this argument with this dipshit before. He doesn't seem to understand that there are different laws in different countries and that a VPN based in the Cayman Islands or Bulgaria is not required to keep logs.

Last time he was trying to tell me the CIA was going to invade just to get my logs lmao

For Bluetooth
>Modem card
Jesus christ user how old is this laptop user.

Acer Aspire 8735. "Gaming" laptop from 2010 I think. Huge screen.

>Prove people with something to gain and nothing to lose aren't doing bad shit
Why do you think Jow Forums spends so much time going on about open source software? Trust is not the default state. Literally the only thing these companies do to earn our trust is make unsubstantiated claims and ask that we take their word for it.

>GT 240M with a C2D CPU
Not sure if this is worth fixing personally.

If the GPU is BGA i can imagine why whoever gave this laptop to you was sure it was dead.
If its MXM then you have a chance its good.

All you need is a RAM stick to attempt to turn it on.

You are confident then a RAM is necessary to prompt any response from the screen? I will buy one asap.

Without RAM a computer cant Boot or POST.
So yes you need a RAM stick to test it.

>something to gain and nothing to lose
Except, as we've already discussed, they have everything to lose. Since they would be breaking the law. Are you really too stupid to understand that?
Getting shut down and being effectively thrown out of an entire industry (since no one would ever trust you again) seems like something to lose, but maybe you don't understand that.

Attached: Futurelog 097.jpg (5092x6966, 3.38M)

Are there free VPNs that you can use just to cover your ass for torrents? I'm sure they're not safe but if you only use them on your torrent client would that be fine? Can you guys recommend any? I don't care if it's 10x slower I just want to download Skyrim VR without getting my shit disconnected.

Attached: 1509480386242.jpg (960x716, 82K)

That art style is quite "meh". Sometimes I think it looks nice but then others I think it looks disgusting

Um you mean HIDEMYASS that was caught spying on users and still to this day has hundreds of thousands of users because they simply dont care about their privacy they only call for meme vpn's? That proof?
theregister.co.uk/2011/09/26/hidemyass_lulzsec_controversy/

>breaking the law
And how are you, the end user with no administrative access going to find out they are logging? They arent breaking the law till they get caught or are told to hand over logs with an illegal FISA warrant(they come with a GAG order too)

This is going to blow your god damn mind

>HIDEMYASS
Is literally based in the US, so it is obliged to co-operate with US officials such as the FBI. It even says that they are part of the 5 eyes security alliance on their website.

Do you guys seriously not know about the 14 eyes UKUSA agreement ffs

>They arent breaking the law till they get caught or are told to hand over logs with an illegal FISA warrant(they come with a GAG order too)
Oh right, I forgot my VPN which is entirely based in Bulgaria can be raided by the FBI (it can't). You do not understand that FISA warrants are only worth shit in AMERICA. Panama doesn't give a fuck about them, the Cayman Islands doesn't care nor does Slovakia.

>MUH MEME CONSPIRACIES
If the USA government wants you, they will take you, this has beenb proven time and time a gain
>Kit Dotcom's megupload
>Rapidshare
>KickassTorrents
I mean time and time a gain history has proven this

Also
>Edward Snowden, your precious leaker
Where does he live now?
In Russia, the USA's longest enemy in history, because he knows PUTIN wont give in to any FISA warrant and special forces will be stopped at the docks.

So how have we arrested foreign nationalists for torrent websites and file hosters? They where based in the island nations...
Again if the USA wants you, we will fly on a private plane funded by the USA tax payers and literally remove you from your country.

That's irrelevant to the main point he was making. Effectively nobody polices VPNs. They may do shit that's "illegal" but if you don't get prosecuted, it effectively isn't. Even if they do get caught, they would likely just get a slap on the wrist. And many of the countries where they operate would provide them even more amnesty, especially for an online provider giving services overseas. The money they gain for selling your shit likely outweighs the risk of that. If shit does go down they'll just move on to something else.

Tinkered with Jow Forums-webm-maker for a few minutes and still having trouble creating webms. I get this error or something and a few lines of red text but I can't even read it because the window immediately closes. Also what exactly is wemb rendering offset and webm rendering length?

Attached: kyurem.gif (109x91, 402K)

Use this.
github.com/HelpSeeker/Restricted-Webm

Use Webm for retards?

Its inconsistent and shit quality most times