Ereader thread

Been looking into 13" models for textbooks and notetaking, settled on this one. It also works as a monitor

Attached: serveimage.jpg (3928x2208, 744K)

Onyx Boox is the best alternative
/thread

What is the best ereader for just comfortably reading books and easily pirating them?

Would prefer as compact as possible

Kindle paperwhite 3
>cheap
>300 dpi
>6" (as small as you can get with e-readers)
The only drawback (other than being botnet) is the lack of support for epub, so you'll have to convert pirated books to mobi manually using calibre or such.

is that an easy process to convert? and is it as simple as drag & dropping pirated books onto the device?

just get a Kobi, does .epub without the hassle of Calibre and crap..And fucking no-one should be encouraging the use of .mobi. You want *real* cheap, get an older LCD Kindle, you can root and install a decent ereader (epub), also use it for other shit.
no, its a PITA.

it would suck absolute shit for both of those tasks

Kobo touch. Refurbished on eBay is like 30 bucks.

What is PITA?

Are there a any cheap kobo with backlight?

Disregard what I said, I'm a brainlet and I forgot the Clara HD exists.

Pain in the ass.

Clara HD.

As someone with extensive e-reader experience, probably much more than anyone in this thread, I strongly recommend that you do NOT use it for either note taking or textbooks. E-readers are for novels or any book that you read from cover to cover. Any reference books, that you'll need to flip through or to access specific pages, paragraphs and chapters repeatedly are just painful tasks on it, because of the very screen that makes reading on them so enjoyable. I suggest that you buy a cheap tablet and if you need to scribble on it to take notes, which honestly only very few fringe cases actually do, get that one Microsoft one, that has good on screen writing, used, of course.

Boox can read anything.

>when you give thoughtful advice on a thread only to after realize it was a bad shill thread all along.

Take your shitty boox and shove it up you box, friend

Dude wtf, it is an honest advice, why would you think is not? Boox has Android and that is its main point.

You just keep digging that hole deeper Patel, but hey, I'll bite. It having android or not is absolutely irrelevant. E-readers are unitaskers for reading novel format books, which I doubt you've ever touched. You literally can't do anything else on the e-ink display without wanting to scratch your eyes out, particularly with takes that require the screen to be refreshed constantly, like typing, note taking, chapter and section jumping. As in, all the things in note taking and textbook usage. Please take your shitty, useless product over to reddit.

>E-readers are unitaskers for reading novel format books
I disagree, unitask is an excuse of locking to one format. The poster which I was replying asked right that, he wants something to open its pirated books and only something with Android can do it.

It doesn't have to be boox, several brands do that.

Your argument is entirely incorrect as well, e-readers are unitaskers, one task of reading books, and already have over 15 file formats, even the most locked down models read more than one format. Please leave this board.

Give me another e-ink device that can do Android.

Having an e-reader for reading textbooks on public transport is not that bad desu (it's definitely better than using my phone or just not reading at all and throwing all that time out).

Listen to this guy. Not being able to thumb thru pages is a big disadvantage. Moreover ereaders suck at pdfs

>Moreover ereaders suck at pdfs
Now fuck off, I read whatever I want.

What about chinese comics ?

>what is FireOS

this

i have an ipad for taking notes, a kindle for reading books for pleasure, and physical textbooks so that i can read and take notes at the same time, or just flip through when needed

textbooks in electronic form will never work, there’s no way to easily access the information, unless it’s all searchable by keyword, which no publisher bothers doing

kindle for books is nice though
fuck this boox shill

Android is not a file format. Doing Android, as you put it, has nothing at all to do with book formats and reading them. Do you want apps on e-ink? Is that the point you're trying to make? You are aware that trying to blur the word Android with Foss or non proprietary is silly, right? You're making yourself look bad.

I wholehearted disagree, but that just personal preference, you do you. I would prefer to drag the book with me to public transport, won't get robbed and I get to highlight and take notes manually. Also as I've said, if a device is to be used a cheap second hand tablet is best.

If it can download other apps, and more importantly F-Droid (while not being too much of a botnet), is good. I'll look into that.

Any other e-ink device with Android I can check?

>locking your device for just one use
Now who sounds like a disgusting shill. Fuck off nigger.

How much do those 13" BOOX cost, again?
>runs away laughing

If you plan on locking people out of their own devices fuck off. Is not like I wouldn't recommend anything else, I am looking into Kindle Fire now.

>check Kindle Fire
>is not e-ink
The fuck is this troll. Give me an Android AND e-ink device nigger.

Have you actually used one? Ever? It's like saying it's technically possible, and therefore advisable, to use a cactus for a dildo. That's quite literally what it would feel like to use an e-ink display for anything with higher refresh rates than reading.

I would, again, tiredly, suggest getting an old, cheap, used tablet and using that, feel free to put any foil hat rom you see fit.

HAHAHAHAaaahhh
>30 minutes later

What are you even saying. Nobody would buy an e-ink device to run games, they want it to read shit. But you are so retarded that you suck Amazon's cock and like to lock out people of reading their pdfs.

Fuck off nigger. You are the real shill here.

No CLEARink, no buy

How many people telling you that's stupid do you need to actually get it?

TROLLS ARE THE REAL SHILLS

BOYCOTT AMAZON
BOYCOTT AMAZON
BOYCOTT AMAZON

do color eink screens exist?

in srs tho..
LCD (non-eink) is not as bad for reading as claimed, I started using readers with an LCD (Kindle), figured I'd better buy into the e-ink meme, bought Kobo, etc. Battery life etc, obv unbeatable, but, brightness, capabilities of doing other shit.. not sure I dont actually prefer LCD tbqh.

OH my goodness above, you're actually a lot dumber than I gave you credit for. You're being laughable and right into pitiable. You can't even see how unrelated everything you say is.

There is 1 case of this happening, there has to be other companies selling similar devices, is not like there isn't a market.

I've had 2 generations of Nook ereaders and the current Nook has the best feel of all the ereaders on the market.

It's a shame the software is only halfbaked. But I prefer it over Kindle.

Alternatively instead of a Boox I recommend OLED screens. There are plenty of them you could try and the screen is cool. Been using one to read books (including PDFs).

model? nigga..
>tia

Nexus 10. A word of advice, Google went full scrooge and the memory is limited, so is the USB ports.

>textbooks in electronic form will never work, there’s no way to easily access the information, unless it’s all searchable by keyword, which no publisher bothers doing
Works for me. Most of my books are searchable and opening a new instance of the same book on the current page is fucking great. If I could have an e-ink monitor with fast refresh rate I wouldn't use a physical textbook even if it was free.

>If I could have an e-ink monitor with fast refresh rate I wouldn't use a physical textbook even if it was free.
This.

I'd buy one of thee if they weren't so expensive, £600 is too much.

Has anybody installed LineageOS on a Kindle or similar?

No ereaders I know of, just phones and tablets.

I'm not shilling, I'm just posting what I've decided on so far. I hadn't even heard of this brand until a week ago when some user suggested I check it out.

Kindle it's comfy for manga, don't know about other devices

Are there any cheap and decent chink ereaders? Big brands like Kindle and Kobo don't sell them in my country. Want to use it to read manga and programming books. Already tried asking in /csg/ but no replies.

Second this, would be good to have a chink alternative

Got the Clara HD

Attached: IMG_20180926_174948.jpg (3456x4608, 3.3M)