Netbooks are shit now in 2018. Can't even play YouTube at 480p without massive frame drops and slow down on Lubuntu...

Netbooks are shit now in 2018. Can't even play YouTube at 480p without massive frame drops and slow down on Lubuntu. Should I just throw this thing in the trash?

Attached: acer-aspire-one-a150-white-refurbished-netbook-laptop-972-p.jpg (350x350, 21K)

probably. they were so cute ~8 years ago. it's a shame intel never really beefed up the atom processor and did something with it. i think the macbook air 11" killed it.

Might check out the GPD pocket if you want something small...

Price wise the market seemed to have dropped though

nah sell it to retro people most of them still want XP compatible machines

I had a bit of buyer's remorse because of that awkward resolution and slow processor. It's working fine but it's barely able to even browse the web now.

>He feel for the netbook meme

The screen size should have been the indication you can't do shit with them.

Attached: images.jpg (468x314, 13K)

You could use it as a firewall or something.

Attached: pretend.1498238696933.anon-female-fujoshi.png (607x428, 45K)

I got rid of the recovery partition. I guess I could install Windows XP home but I don't have a disc drive.

That's because modern web browsers and websites are unoptimized, bloated trash. I have a little HP netbook and it struggles hard loading Facebook, but I can watch 720p videos on mpv no problem.
Windows 7 btw, probably would work even faster on some *buntu

Yeah tried some 720p videos in vlc and some of them play fine, some don't. YouTube a few years ago was able to play 480p video fine on it.

They're useless for anything that you can do on modern machines, especially if you run a gui or want video playback.

I pulled a couple from the recycling pile at work to play with. Ended up using one as an asterisk machine for my parents. The other is a weather machine on my roof.

The worst part is the overall form factors have adjusted towards 11.6" (13.3" screen with reduced bezels) and even passive cooling at similar or lower TDP.

The form factor was ahead of its time, but it could easily be brought back with no issue.

bigger than smartphones

>be me, 21
>the year is 2011
>collegefag
>sitting in my early childhood education class
>doing group project with a bunch of women, class was full of fucking women
>I was the only guy
>bitch drinking gigantic tea-of-the-month with antioxidants and a shitload of sugar
>she fucking spills it on my open EEEPC Seashell 1215N
>netbook goes dark
>thisistheend.png
>leave it on my car dash for a few hours
>it turns on again
>keyboard is fine, if sticky

Why were netbooks so good? Fucking indestructible.

Web browsers aren't really optimized for anything, though. Even normal laptops struggle with more than 2 tabs.
A netbook is not for media consumption unless you use Haiku or something.
They're ok for little bits of typing work though.

>Now
they have always been shit

I'm glad to be a based Lenovo u110 netbook user

Attached: webcam-toy-photo1.jpg (800x450, 44K)

Put an SSD in it. Got a netbook with 2GB of RAM, dual core Atom and an SSD that runs Antergos ok.

I’ve got an 10” Asus eeepc that still runs ok. Damn shame that it’s only a 32 bit Atom though.

I used a Asus T91 through 4 years of university.
I miss the little thing, it could take a decent pounding.
i have had 2 laptops since and neither of them felt as comfy.

I've got a 2012 Sony one with AMD E2-1800 (equivalent of a dual core pentium 4 from 2003) It works with windows 7 far better than with nix for anything video related.

Netbooks have always been hot trash. Chrome machines are the next generation of netbooks

>dual core Pentium 4 from 2003
That isn't a thing.

Thinking about buying the cheapest used netbook available just to fuck around with Linux on it. I would either put chrome OS/Manjaro/Void/Solus on it and keep it as something that I can take to class to take notes.

Attached: 1537790534383.jpg (540x468, 77K)

That's how you can tell who's a zoomer

The experience is so miserable that it's not even worth it

used/refurbed thinkpad

that's one thing I'm doing with mine as well

use it as an airgap machine to keep your private keys desu