Do you prefer dark mode on your websites and apps? If so, why? Also, have you always preferred dark mode...

Do you prefer dark mode on your websites and apps? If so, why? Also, have you always preferred dark mode, or is it something new for you?

I personally like dark mode because I have eye floaters that are bothered by white backgrounds, and I thought it was interesting that more and more sites and apps have been coming out with dark mode in the past few years. It seems to imply there's a growing demand for dark mode where there wasn't before - why?

Attached: ba52c8c35e7f5463ca18173bb49d9ff7.png (426x355, 10K)

I like dark mode wherever I can get it. The eye can most clearly distinguish colors when you have a dark grey background, and I find it nice when all the light coming from my monitor has some kind of purpose.

depends, if there's lots of coloured text I prefer dark backgrounds, if it's just regular text I prefer light backgrounds.
> It seems to imply there's a growing demand for dark mode where there wasn't before - why?
phoneposters in their beds

There's always been a huge demand for dark mode. UI designers just thought they knew better than us.

>why?
because brands like to lose their identity in order to conform to what's popular at the time since that's what supposedly attracts users. everything looks the same nowadays if you take away the logos and accent colours. and then there's the casual language and all the "random" stuff like 404 messages etc. because being down to earth is so cool and will get you more users. fuck all that.

>there's a growing demand for dark mode where there wasn't before - why?

Attached: IR6DhfO.jpg (1500x201, 26K)

Yes, always. Black is better.

BASED

I like dark modes because white backgrounds are like being punched in the eyes, especially at night. With that said most dark modes are pretty shit since they're pure black instead of a more pleasing dark grey.

>I like dark modes because white backgrounds are like being punched in the eyes, especially at night.
it doesn't help that everyone wants their websites to be 99% blinding fucking whitespace. i have a business monitor that can be used as a substitute for a reading lamp, i don't need that much whitespace.

it doesn't help that i'm nocturnal and do most of my computer stuff at night either.

Attached: spirit.jpg?w=400.jpg (400x270, 11K)

Yeah, it's just easier on the eyes to read on a darker background.
Why do you think Photoshop has a dark grey interface? It makes you focus on the content.
White scorching screens are terrible to use for a long time.

I prefer dark mode because I value having my eyesight not being fucked up by the next decade.

I know people in my family who love to stare at the screen at full brightness, white backgrounds, and being in pitch-black rooms at night. They strain the fuck out of reading regular text on paper, and wonder why they get constant headaches all the time.

Attached: tumblr_mcuf3wYbYy1qdq95u.png (345x337, 189K)

I naturally gravitated towards it. Most of the discussion boards I grew up on were dark or had a dark theme available, and I remember trying to custom theme my OS as far back as Vista. (I completely got fucked by Windows 10 since it'll completely fucked everything up when major updates roll around, so that and the other reasons why people hate Windows 10 resulted in my departure on that OS.) About 3/4 years ago I started using userstyles to turn as many websites I could dark. Now I just one one global dark theme extension and only use userstyles on websites it doesn't work on.

Also my favorite phones growing up (flip phones, my first smart phone) were the ones with dark UIs.

Attached: 1505447204256.gif (399x632, 288K)

>It seems to imply there's a growing demand for dark mode where there wasn't before - why?
so you don't blind yourself when you look at your phone at 3am

I am drunk please forgive my typos

I usually prefer dark mode, UNLESS I'm outdoors with lots of sunlight. In that case I use light mode, since I can't see shit otherwise.

Why do normies pay real money for a fucking background color change they could do themselves?

What the fuck are you even talking about?

Who is paying for what?

mostly yes, but some dark themes have such poor contrast that I rather not use them.

>I thought it was interesting that more and more sites and apps have been coming out with dark mode in the past few years. It seems to imply there's a growing demand for dark mode where there wasn't before - why?
I have always used dark mode (and install custom CSS to that end for) because it is simply more relaxing to look at. When I am browsing the internet I'm looking to relax, not feel like I'm reading some god damn documentation.

Dark mode probably got more and more popular lately because popular applications like VSCode, Discord etc. use it as their regular, normal theme.

>Do you prefer dark mode on your websites and apps?
No.
Because I'm not a fat autist that is sitting in his moms basement all the time.
Dark mode only tries to fix a problem you shouldn't have in the first place (except for if you are using an AMOLED screen, then it'd would work, I guess):
If your screen is to bright, turn up your fucking ambient lightning and turn down your screen brightness. No wonder your eyes hurt when you sit in pitch black darkness, with your screen set to 110% brightness so that even dark colors blind you.

I still prefer dark themes even when I'm sitting in a well lit room and I always keep my brightness level low