Show more like this

store.planetcom.co.uk/collections/gemini-pda

Not sure why I'm so attracted to this idea. It brings me back to the old side kick days.

I'm aware this is probably just a cash grab riding the coat tails of the Pyra project and GPD mini comp? but fuck, I wish there were more designs like this especially in the phone department.

I'm so over this touch screen thumb bullshit.

Attached: gemini_pda.jpg (960x540, 48K)

Other urls found in this thread:

kotchan.org/chat/int
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Missing physical landscape qwerty on phones so bad. i will never text as quickly as i did in 2007

Attached: LG Voyager.gif (830x467, 161K)

I want one of those with an arch install on it. i'd be in portable heaven. bonus points for mech keys.

just buy a bluetooth keyboard for $30 lmao

Attached: 71fp1kIN%2BHL._SL1200_.jpg (1200x1200, 153K)

Reminds me of the Psion Revo/Series 5 devices, and if I remember right some of the same people are involved with the Gemini. It looked a lot more comfy than it turned out to be in practice, but the software was decently ahead of its time and the firmware could be made to run a variant of Linux.

Attached: 300px-Mako.jpg (300x271, 23K)

no amd64 cpu no buy

It already ships dualbooting Debian and Xfce.

Psions are sexy, especially that enter key.

can you put your hands on this keyboard in the familiar "home-row" fashion or do you have to use the thumbs?

Attached: 1527683802072.jpg (1500x1156, 209K)

Mmm... I miss the N900. Fantastic device.

Attached: 1509809742191.jpg (1400x1050, 134K)

I have one; keyboard is awesome (but needs some time of getting used to it); battery life is good; ships with android 7.1 and probably won't get anything newer as mediatek doesn't release newer board support packages, *but* there's an effort by Jolla to have an official port of Sailfish to it (there are beta releases available now), and there are efforts to get mainline support for the chips in it.

Also, configuring the keyboard on android is a bit annoying, and creating a custom keymap on android requires root.

I use mine with thumbs most of the time.

18-36Mhz mmm... nice stuff!

used this beast until 2011
still one of my favorite phones. It was also built like a thank. None of this modern day "hurr durr I dropped my phone on the carpet and the screen cracked" bullshit. Back then if you dropped a Communicator and didn't move your foot, this fucker would have made you limp for 3 days.

Attached: s-l300.jpg (300x220, 13K)

i once had an idea to build one out of sheet metal with one of these hipster retarded anime teeny weeny mech keyboards in it, then they would finnaly have a proper use case, based on raspi and maybe a touchscreen/clitmouse too. nobody would buy it tho. it's not feasible to manufacture anything for 20 hipsters who would buy it, people are too used to the horrible touchsreen typing

ye just buy a small keyboard for your phone and you done

can't install debian on a phone, though.

Attached: gpd.jpg (2976x3968, 380K)

ye that's why i installed it on the keyboard

kotchan.org/chat/int

GNURoot Debian

A foot would better cushion a fall than most floor materials. How you felt is irrelevant.

are there places that go in detail on how much it costs to make something like the pyra and the process of it? do you thing it's gotten cheaper/easier with newer arm and mobile tech?

Where?

Is the pyra out? or is that still in development

>Not sure why I'm so attracted to this idea
Because you have autism. It's a common trait.

I still have a little Psion.
In fact, it's in a box just to the right of my feet.

I'm thinking of modding it one day. (probably next year, too busy just now with shit)
Thinking of adding a memory system that emulates virtual memory for the little RAM carts you can insert.
Then I will make a wrapper that saves to SD / USB stick instead.
To make up for the limited addressing, I will make a system to map multiple addresses to a single address on the external memory.
That will depend on how large a card I use for it.
In fact, I might even make it scalable with an equation, then I simply enter its size in a program.
I'm not even sure if OPL will be capable of doing this.
If not, I will rip out the motherboard and slap a RPi0 in it or some shit.

It's funny. About 12-13 years ago, a phone that shatters when you drop it on the ground would have been regarded as unacceptable. Now we accept it as a possible risk, such that an industry in miniature has grown to provide related services and products.

What the fuck did you take that picture with a Mate 9 and it watermarked it? Lmfao

What about the is a kernel version? It runs Android hardware and that means it gets locked into one version of the kernel with no updates. I might have got one already if I could be guaranteed to install the armor build any Linux distro and have it update their kernel.

>efforts to get mainline support for the chips in it
I somehow feel that won't happen until Planet makes a new version of the Gemini.

>creating a custom keymap on android requires root.
This is why I often call it PooDroid or India iOS.

I wish somebody would make a keyboard case like this for the Note 8/9, they're pretty much the perfect dimensions for it now they they've gone 18:9.