/tpg/ ThinkPad General

Previous thread: If you're looking for purchase advice, state your budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™

>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Libreboot-compatible models:
>T60 (check lcd), X60(s/t); X200(s/t. -s requires soldering), T400(s)/500; W500.

Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, widely available, socketed CPU, both Coreboot-compatible (Ivy Bridge CPU support on T420); Quad Core Compatible, Old keyboard swap on *30 series
>T520/530; W520/530 - 15", 1080p, DTR, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3.0
>T440s - cheap ips, great battery life.
>T440p/540p; W540/1 - Last Thinkpads with socketed processors, easily replaceable trackpad (W541 doesn't need trackpad replacement)
>P-Series - 15'' + 17'', 4K display, up to 64GB of RAM, Xeon CPU option. Expensive.

Upgraded models:
>X210 - X200/X201, i5 8250u quadcore
>X62 - X61, i5 5250u
>T70 - T60, i7 7700 hq
IPS displays, USB 3.0, m.2 x4, mini dp, no
forum.51nb.com/forum.php?mod=forumdisplay&fid=117

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint™, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

>ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org

Attached: images (4).jpg (259x194, 9K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.ca/dp/B00AE7WPXE/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

lolis

Any thoughts on the A485?

Poor battery life

Worse wifi

A285 when

Does anyone have any experience upgrading the RAM on a t400s? I looked at the wiki and bought this since it had the right FRU number.

amazon.ca/dp/B00AE7WPXE/

But when I put it in, I get the 1 3 3 1 beep sequence. And when I put back the old memory in, it boots up just fine, so I know it's not the slot.

I'm to buy a modern laptop, my x220 is slowly dying and im sick of replacing parts (has new screen/keyboard/etc). I think it's mostly from running too hot all the time..

Few questions,
With x1 extreme, should i get 4k? i hear people complain about the brightness of the FHD, but also might be a problem with the 4k being too reflective.. Ignoring price

What CPU should i get? I'm not too concerned with performance, but more so with thermal properties

There seems to be almost no reviews on this laptop, but my chance of getting a discount ends tomorrow..

Doesn't that have soldered in RAM?

people like picrelated should be industrially gassed. disgusting race mix that probably doesn't even understand how a computer woks. sad. once the white race leaves this planet all the niggers and mutts will be fighting over mud

Attached: TrapcodeQ7.png (216x233, 13K)

Since you a fan. I am probably the only unironical user of the original Thinkpad X1. Been using it since release the internal battery is @25% capacity, every lid (headphone jack, utms module, hdd slot) has fallen off by now and i been running the cpu with liquid metal for ~3 years now. Oh i also have a stash of sealed swedish keyboard frus so i can use the x1 for the next 20 years.

Attached: x1.jpg (1024x461, 150K)

there is a tranny in my c++ class that brings a nu-thinkpad with her(male)
should I bring my beefy T61 in and show her(male) who's boss?

How much ram? Some laptops only support certain amounts. My complete piece of shit acer only supported 1gb back then

I regularly see a lot of posts here advocating against xx40 thinkpads and a lot also saying xx40 is the sweet spot.

What’s the problem with laptops like the t440? What should I get instead if I’m looking to get the most powerful laptop I can for like $300~ dollars?

Thanks in advance.

you will end smashing that asshole don't lie to yourself

[spoiler]I was thinking about it[/spoiler]
her(male) jawline and face looks really masculine though if I got too close I think I would lose the appeal

Is she cute?

>he doesn't want faster RAM for this thinkpad

Attached: 1531368522245.jpg (640x427, 129K)

Manspreading thinkpadified

Just bought a fully specced p51. 64GB of ecc ram, xeon, max everything.

The plastic on the top and front near the touchpad are atrocious. The plastic is seperating in a joint in the front about 2mm by the trackpad.

Sub-Par build quality.

Stupid rad specs though.

1866 ddr3 is fast enough

Anyone else with an X220 that experiences random shut down? Mine can be in use and it will just randomly shut off without warning, other times it could just be sitting on my desk idle and it will shut off. I have scoured forums and read that this is a noted issue among X220/X230 but conflicting information as to what is the problem. Some state it's a motherboard issue but that's broad, other says it's when it's downclocking/upclocking, others say it's due to a component like WiFi/RAM/Keyboard needs to be reseated.

not really, no

im bem brill :D:D:D

Attached: spurdo.jpg (480x360, 14K)

>Tranny OP
>Guys buy this old shit!!
>Deliberately hide 33% off portal for Lenovo to shill old Thinkpad garbage.
>Constantly spam Jow Forums for no reason because lolwelfare and nolife.

Attached: collegedropout.jpg (1280x720, 52K)

old thinkpads are the best thinkpads, user

*unclicks T61*

No they aren't you fucking moron, the only reason to buy them is the IBM warranty. Which you don't get with old ones.

you're wrong

EZcare warranty is owner agnostic so I suppose i am.

Good luck finding one still under warranty though faggot.

>IBM
>new thinkpads

stop replying to tripfag

what would I need a warranty for?
these old thinkpads hardly ever break, and are a breeze to work on if something goes wrong

I got 2x4GB. The wiki says the laptop can do up to 8GB. I've also looked around online and apparently Corsair/Kingston may have compatibility issues. The one I got ended up being Corsair.

well thanks for all ur advice

Attached: done.png (868x640, 63K)

You stupid prick Lenovo Thinkpads come with an EZserv warranty, the legendary IBM warranty, its literally the only reason to buy a ThinkPad.

If your shit breaks you get a fucking overnight air box sent to your motherfucking doorstep out on a saturday and get your fucking laptop back on monday working perfectly.

lmao

cuck

Attached: wew.png (989x912, 198K)

>having to ship shit anywhere to get it fixed

Dell CompleteCare comes with every Latitude or Precision laptop for 3 fucking years included (2 year extension to 5 is available too) and it's ON-SITE so they come to wherever you happen to be and fix shit.

Hell, CompleteCare is no fucking questions asked: I could take my Latitude, throw it off my balcony, watch vehicles drive over it and shatter it into tiny shards of metal and glass and aluminum and then call Dell and say "I dropped my laptop and it's completely dead, I need a replacement" and within 72 hours I'd have a new one delivered to my fucking door.

IBM had a great warranty long ago but even they didn't do on-site - Lenovo sure as fuck doesn't either at any cost while Dell includes that level of support in the purchase price.

Seriously, I love ThinkPads, I really do, I've owned them off and on since the first one (yes, punks I'm older than you are) but they simply aren't all that.

Whitelists, bullshit, OEM lockdowns, Dell does none of that bullshit and has the best warranty, period.

Deal with it.

Wow that sucks, they won't do overnight air?

Also IBM absolutely does on-site, its fucking standard on their default ezserv warranty for 1 year.

I honestly think that its amazing that you think that's actually a perk at Dell over Thinkpad and is kind of revealing about how huge a shill you are.

"trap"

>trap
No that thing isn't a trap.

A trap is a guy that looks like a girl, OP is a TRANNY. No different than a cross dresser.

>doesn't understand 3 years > 1 year
>doesn't understand that ON-SITE means you don't do anything but call them and they come to you, no shipping shit anywhere or waiting for it to come back

Also, pay attention: IBM doesn't make computers anymore, dumbass, it's Lenovo and that is not IBM, not even a fucking subsidiary of IBM either.

Stop being so #rekt dipshit.
IBM still provides warranty service for Thinkpads. Not that I would expect some dude your getting a dell moron fuckwit to understand that.

Enjoy your no overnight air shipping. There isn't always a qualified service center nearby, god damn dude. Just stop.

>dude your getting a dell XD

that's exactly what I meant

>boiiissss
x270 is comming
fhd, nvme, 16gb ram
just ~550 usd
:^)

What's worse, tranny or thumbnail

x220/x230 tier performance

Calling a guy a trap implies that you are attracted enough to them that they could trap you.

So, no, it isn't what you meant. You are a faggot.

I had a brand new ThinkPad arrive at work with a bad motherboard, no idea what the problem was but it kept cutting out, and since it was brand new notMyProblem.rar and called support. They sent out an engineer the next day who turned up at the office, took the laptop apart, fitted a new motherboard, put it back together, and left.

All the parts he used came in IBM-branded boxes, and he was an IBM tech. Needless to say I was confused, so I asked him what the deal was and yes, IBM does indeed provide warranty coverage for ThinkPads. The more you know,

Correct.

/tpg/ ThinkPad General - We've banned trannies Thread here

He cute

got any pics of her?

He put it in quotation marks tho.

Why did some other idiot post a new tpg?

Transphobia

Why would you use a picture of a ugly tranny instead of a trap?

Idk it's fun making fun of tripcode.

Ugliest creature ever and he can't even speak properly.

He thinks he's some sort of ThinkPad guru because he can clip a raspberry pi to a bios chip and press flash.