/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

xx40 a shit Edition.

Previous thread: If you're looking for purchase advice, state your budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™

>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Libreboot-compatible models:
>T60 (check lcd), X60(s/t); X200(s/t. -s requires soldering), T400(s)/500; W500.

Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, widely available, socketed CPU, both Coreboot-compatible (Ivy Bridge CPU support on T420); Quad Core Compatible, Old keyboard swap on *30 series
>T520/530; W520/530 - 15", 1080p, DTR, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3.0
>T440s - don't ever buy this meme
>T440p/540p; W540/1 - Last Thinkpads with socketed processors, easily replaceable trackpad (W541 doesn't need trackpad replacement)
>P-Series - 15'' + 17'', 4K display, up to 64GB of RAM, Xeon CPU option. Expensive.

Upgraded models:
>X210 - X200/X201, i5 8250u quadcore
>X62 - X61, i5 5250u
>T70 - T60, i7 7700 hq
IPS displays, USB 3.0, m.2 x4, mini dp, no
forum.51nb.com/forum.php?mod=forumdisplay&fid=117

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint™, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

>ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org

Attached: IPS.jpg (1600x1179, 321K)

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/coralineada/status/781928535959056384
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

What's that picture about? Can you explain it to this newfaggot?

It's about the W540 3k IPS, the W540 FHD, the W530 FHD (Wide Gamut), W520 FHD (Wide Gamut) and W510 FHD (Wide Gamut).

thank you

the other thread has less than 50 replies faglord
learn to use the catalog

Bought a thinkpad x201 got it for under 100€ whit the i7 and an ssd in. It's a nifty little Linux machine only bad thing about it is ram and gpu power anyone know if there is a some way to increase it??. Maybe pcie slot or express slot

>RAM
Put more in.

>GPU
External GPU running on the ExpressCard slot. Fair amount of effort to do that, though.

>Fakepad thread
lurk more faggot

Is it a good idea to buy a T model directly from Lenovo with a student discount (~ 10%)? The refurbished models all have ass-obsolete CPUs and I'd like to play some CS as well as program.

Even an ass CPU can play CSS.

you really dont need an absolute beast of an cpu to Program and play vidya. id look more into the igpu in the cpu's and the amount of ram as that increases the igpus performance

I bought t480s from campusdiscount. Had spare money and wanted light thinkpad with good screen. 1250e

I found a guy who sells a x201 for 60$

Should I?

Yeah, no. I had a X230 recently and Intel HD lagged above 1080p when playing videos. I can't imagine how shitty it'd be for real-time 3D. Also, CSGO is miles ahead CS:ba_jail. I definitely need a GPU and Optimus to either be compatible with Linux or be opt-out in the UEFI (neither of which was the case of my shitty Asus).

just the basics does it have a bios lock if it has stay away. has it been leased if yes then be wary.
what x201 cpu it has if i7 you good the i5 are dogshit. otherwise its little laptop whit good cpu Performance and all the good points of thinkpads YouTube and video perfomance stutters above 720p but otherwise it's good.

yeah just like evry intel HD is the same some are absolute worst but some do a decent job at running Basic vidya like csgo.i repeat cpu does not increase your fps in Graphics calculated games whit almost 0 physics. i ran an intel Pentium 4 skylake version 0 oc coupled whit an ancient gtx 550 and it ran csgo 100fps

Why is the 3k ips so dim?

>CSGO

Attached: 8c3.jpg (496x496, 146K)

>no X1
Kys my dude

Attached: 1482523491095.png (333x260, 23K)

Do all t480 laptops have a backlit keyboard? How can I see which ones have one on the Lenovo website?

You're dim

I have a fully maxed out x61t (1400x1050) which had the resin behind the screen start failing. Is there a way to fix that? Haven't used the computer in years and I want to use it again as a dedicated photoshop tablet.

any thoughts on the x301? dude in my area is selling one and never see it talked about

How long should a 6 cell battery last on T420?
I know this question depends on many variables, but what's the minimum time I should expect?
And how do I know the battery is lenovo's original battery and not a counterfeit one?

Attached: 1533301790532.jpg (658x1124, 363K)

I've found a thinkpad seller hat sell refurbished and used thinkpad.
He doesn't have any return policy once the thinkpad leaves the store it's yours.
But you get to test the thinkpad in person and see for yourself if something wrong.
So what/how do I check it?
>check for cracks in the chaise
>check BIOS password
Those that I could think off, maybe bring a Hiren's boot cd and test the Ram and hdd as well.
Any other tips or things I could test for? As for the battery the seller claims it is generic chink battery and guarantee to last at least 1 hour.

Attached: 1528927070308.jpg (1300x1836, 211K)

>wide gamut
THICC

>winblows
kys

sauce

Attached: 1535685425297.jpg (720x478, 63K)

Lauren Philiips & Alice Merchesi

I recently got an x220 and installed loonix on it. I'm trying to make the most out of the shitty worn out battery that came with it before replacing it with a chink 9-cell or w/e, and I'm using Powertop to check what's fucking me in the ass the most. Currenty, it's idling at arounf 7-9W with sensible backlight, and what's taking the most of that, around 5W is `thinkpad_acpi`. I'm assuming this is mostly the motherboard and whatnot, right? I'm also using TLP, which I read is pretty good. Makes most of the tunables Good in Powertop.

Any more tips? I'm running Xubango if it matters.

>x220
it's actullay an x230, typo.

I'm running x201s with i5 560m, 8Gb of RAM and 120Gb SSD. It's great, but definitely lacking 3d power. Programs using GPU acceleration like Photoshop, Inventor or games are killing it, especially with external 1680x150 monitor. Also 120Gb of disk space is kinda lame. What should I buy to replace the old guy?

got any pics of her(him)?

I have around $200 to get something better than an A8-3520m with 8gb RAM.

Choose my new laptop.

>3d power
>Photoshop
>inventor
>games
w530/20 basically the w or p series sounds like it would fit your needs.

Attached: TheTrifecta.jpg (1024x576, 92K)

>Ultrabook
Basically buying a laptop for is "thinness"

Attached: proxy.duckduckgfdfo.com.png (119x118, 24K)

edit /etc/default/tlp and see if you can tweak any settings. I don't think you can go much lower than than 7-9W though. That's about what my T530 uses on the lowest possible brightness.

Other than the X series, what other ultra-portable does /tpg/ recommend?

Attached: 1447426911350.jpg (777x635, 67K)

I was just fucking around with that, found a couple things that might be better changed, but who knows. Anyway, 8ish watts is pretty good I guess.

Anyone own the new A485 or A285 yet? The build of the A485 I want will be $1300 but I don't know if it's worth it or not.

Dell and Hp also have there own versions within the Latitude/Elitebook line. One that I have tried is the e6220, Over all its a nice laptop. And on the elitebook version you can even swap the cpu out to a quad core if you want.

Attached: e6220.jpg (476x393, 23K)

I'm considering repainting my thinkpad with bed liner.
Has anybody done it?
I

A Sony VAIO Pro 11 like Torvalds used to own

So I just bought a T430 listed as having an i5-3320M

And Windows says it has a i5-2520m
This is a worse, generation older processor, correct?
I just got jewed right?

Attached: mcdonalds_ns.webm (640x800, 2.67M)

rekt that's what you get for buying what Jow Forums tells you to buy

>falling for yet another \G\ meme

Attached: asian-woman-crying.png (1136x640, 742K)

Hii
I'm at the uni right now ^^

Attached: 1536986726864.jpg (3264x1836, 1.66M)

I hope you don't learn anything.

you got jewed.
Someone replaced the T430 CPU with T420

Why? I was studying just now...

Wat the fuk is going on there? Free tiddy women just sat there

Kys homo

Rude.

As far as I can work out, the T430 did come with that processor so maybe it's an honest mistake. Fuck this is annoying either way.

Arch? How is it? Speed, compatibility, usability?

Was considering x240. Even though x230 is clearly the superior model, with higher RAM and CPU capacity and better keyboard design. I'm not Jow Forums enough to upgrade it to max potential, nor do I need it. While I'm leaning towards x240, it's understandably not the most loved version of the series.

It works flawlessly for me. When I first installed Arch here even the multimedia/function keys worked out of the box with xfce, but I needed to do some extra work for them to work with i3.

Good thread, the other one is trash.

Attached: NSA-cat.jpg (640x607, 94K)

So I heard e480 has terrible cooling. Anybody owns e485? Ryzen is supposed to be cooler and it doesn't need discrete GPU but still want to be safe. Is a485 better?

How long do the batteries last and should I get a new battery when I buy an x220 or a T420?

pic unrelated.

Attached: 4L_8WZuFsZi.jpg (2077x1234, 1.76M)

Crowder

Attached: 4L_9ENWkKuE.jpg (296x311, 31K)

Trans people are mentally ill

Stop replying to them

They shill the cheap old models because they're jobless neets afraid of society and it's all they can afford.

Tripcode and Saucey and all the other trans people need to kill themselves.

Imagine being so hideous and having to live with that depression.

Attached: images (4).jpg (259x194, 9K)

Tripcode is ok. I'd be his friend.

I wouldn't, he needs to fix his voice and learn how-to groom himself.

He's an abomination and everybody that sees his image agrees.

I almost got suspended for having an argument about why trans people have mental disorders. Fucking niggers all of them.

Attached: 4L_0OmIauOH.jpg (645x654, 233K)

Take it back to the other thread. There is literally no issue with talking to them. And frankly they are good people. The only time there is a problem is when you make it one.

Attached: ben-shapiro-696x528.jpg (696x528, 35K)

They're disgusting and mentally unhinged.

They just post here to terrorize us normal people.

I just wanted to say that 3 months ago, I moved from an R61 to the T530.

I still can't get used to the new keyboard layout. The keystroke feeling is nice and all, but man FUCK THIS SINGLE LINE CRAMMED F KEYS.

I write a lot and I use the HOME/END buttons very often to navigate. I didn't have any problems with the old layout, my fingers would automatically travel to those keys. But I still can't blindly find them now. I either press the wrong key, or I have to look at them.

ugh

Attached: 1378605148058.jpg (342x245, 16K)

This is the anti tranny thread.

The other thread is real /tpg/

This thread is the thread for shitting on trannies.

Give it a few years and trannies won't get special treatment anymore. They wont be allowed near kids or in many public places. It upsets a majority of people.

And the other people are just biting their tongues for now. Everybody has pent up anger towards these nasty people.

45% suicide rate.

Attached: JPEG_20180925_213648.jpg (576x768, 57K)

It disgusts me when people say sex and gender aren’t the same thing. The autism level needed for this surpasses even me.

What? Is that boy or girl

I don't doubt they have a chemical imbalance in their brain. Less hormones or too many.

But just because you chop your dick off DOESN'T MAKE YOU A WOMAN.

They aren't male or female at this point.

Still biologically a male, but they will NEVER be female, and should not he able to be labeled as one.

It's so fucked up.

Only way to become a girl is being born one.

Think of another word for your made up gender. It's not female and it's not male.

It's subhuman.

Almost uglier than tripcode

We ate teaching our kids that it is okay to change your gender. If you wanna be any of these made up terms like “gender-fluid” you can. The fuck?! Aren’t we supposed to teach our children that changing your body because you want to is not okay.

45% suicide rate btw

Who tf cares about them and there "special treatment". Literally all they are doing is posting and what you do is just fueling them them to not stop. You are the problem.

Attached: 636439593408490460-KNS-SHAPIRO-1019-10423.jpg (680x510, 31K)

Yeah like I said, in 5-10 years I could see trans people having much more limited rights. Humans are man or woman and their neither. So concerned about sex they'd alter their body.

They won't be allowed around children

Won't be allowed in schools

Won't be allowed in library's

Won't be allowed to handle food

Won't be allowed to own a weapon

Etc.

45% suicide rate and rising.

I would say who the fuck goes to a library anymore, but considering how fucked up tranny’s are they probably still use libraries.

Why in the FUCK if you have a mental condition and you """"feel"""" like the opposite sex,

do you feel the urge to change your appearance, in order to look like it??

Can't you just be what nature told you to be and you feel whatever the fuck you want on the inside?

Isn't expressing a gender kinda pointless if you already don't agree on how society constructs the ways females and males should look like?

Trying to LOOK like a woman, is just that. Listening to society and conforming to it

logic is well past these people

twitter.com/coralineada/status/781928535959056384

>twitter
Literally botnet.

>why is this so hard

Because no cis man wants to touch a tranny, ever. Only homosexuals would.

from what i understand, 'cis' just means a person who isn't confused about what sex they are
you can be cis and gay at the same time
and yes, no straight man would date a tranny (male), because that doesn't even make sense. a man dressed as a woman who likes to be called "she" is just a man who dresses like a woman and likes being called she.

>mfw watching ebay auctions get bid up beyond established averages and even higher than some buyitnow prices for the exact same machines
>mfw the auction doesn't even end for another 5 hours
>mfw check bids
>AxxxA(1)
>BxxxB(5)

why do we all have to suffer because these low rating imbeciles get into bidding wars

Attached: 1497791586886.jpg (205x246, 13K)

checked and yes. I just ordered a chink one and it's been fine.

>Umm, excuse me sir, could you please lower the noise of your notebook? It is really distracting to the other students.

I honestly would do anything for a trans gf with a tech hobby...I mean literally anything. I'm a hot guy also but they aren't into men just women

Attached: 1537916771771.gif (270x480, 807K)

Because the stupid trannies Saucey and tripcode shill ThinkPads on YouTube for attention.

They act like it was their idea to buy used ThinkPads or something.

Not many people watch their videos but there's so many trannies shilling ThinkPad it doesn't matter.

They do it for attention or something.

Why would you use arch Linux in a school environment?

i'm actually looking at xps 13s t b h.
the price spread on these is absurd.

that said, i'm watching a very badly mislabeled x1 carbon 3rd gen which i might try and get for under $300.

inb4 judgements
i just want a comfy travel machine

Honestly, why not ?

> Tfw no x series with a resolution higher than 1200x800 that isn't the 768 meme with a good keyboard
Should I kill myself now or later?

x200s & x201s has a 1440x900 panel option

>be in computer class teaching stuff for comptia 901
>guy there is trying to be really cool and has ubuntu even though we get a free windows 10
>tfw he spent all hour trying to figure out how to get a screenshot
>tfw i with windows had 3 ways to do it on my own
>tfw i went over to help him but he got all pissy that his ubuntu wasnt working
>tfw i tried helping him but he got mad
>he said he got a blue screen of death but I didn't see it
>tfw told him even though windows sucks you should still get windows 10 just to adapt to school since its what we use
>tfw i smelled this guy from 10 feet away
>tfw he looked like shit
>tfw look at his computer and he had memepad

OH NO NO NO NOOO

He was the Jow Forums meme. I mean I know hes new and I'm new also but it was still funny

My old copypastas story

Attached: 1537817362491.jpg (750x1000, 101K)

aren't the s variants a meme?

they work fine, but the hi-res lid can be put on a non-s x200 or x201 if youre scared

are any of the newer models X250-X290 worth buying?

I'm interested.. that being said though about the 1200x800 resolution, since it's a small screen does it matter too much? (Haven't used one personally, I have a T61p and looking to get a smaller one for my upgrade)

Because you probably care about stability and not having to manually fix your OS right before a major deadline?