/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Search: qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.
*Many free software projects have active mailing lists.
*Many free software projects have an active bugzilla where you can check and report errors.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Previous thread:

Attached: importance.jpg (1080x994, 97K)

Other urls found in this thread:

developers.google.com/web/updates/2017/04/headless-chrome#create_a_pdf_dom
wkhtmltopdf.org
wiki.debian.org/SimpleBackportCreation
youtube.com/watch?v=_cZC67wXUTs
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>wlinux

why haven't you installed DragonflyBSD yet?

Is it possible to script KDE widgets/panels or lattedock? I want to have a taskbar on all screens on a multiple monitor set up.

Because is shit.

why?

Leave now shill.

>no argument
>calling me a shill for no reason
ah yes

>GNU/Linux thread
>posts BSD shit
>gets angry when someone post Linux on BSD threads
BTFO scammer.

Please avoid non-copyleft software, user. It doesn't protect your freedoms.

Attached: rms.jpg (1920x1080, 98K)

I'm not stallman, i'm not autistic about the essential freedoms.
And unlike Stallman, i can actually install my own OS.

how can i be notify when there is a new mail incoming ? with offlineimap and libnotify would be better

>GNU users can't keep their shit together for a single thread
Jesus.

do you know of a terminal tool to convert web pages into pdf saving css style, images and hyperlinks?

You can use Chrome/Chromium in headless mode:
developers.google.com/web/updates/2017/04/headless-chrome#create_a_pdf_dom

ok uhm for future reference I find this and it kind of works wkhtmltopdf.org it complained about bad requests from the server but it actually saved the parts of the page I was interested with and the links within are saved

Go back to CISCO.

that's why you're a shitter nobody and RMS is a genius grant and ACM award winning programmer because unlike you and most other people here RMS doesn't waste time on mundane shit

How would i go about sandboxing applications? is Apparmor + Firejail the right way to do things?
Is Docker an alternative or is it something different?

>Usually you just install Debian, switch repos at your sources.list and upgrade
did anyone try to upgrade to unstable like this? was it a success?

i did upgrade from stable to sid like that.

were there any dependency problems

how would one map keys so that one audio channel can be a copy of another one?
for example when playing video with one channel audio i could just hit a button so the other speaker is playing another channel

nope, but i didn't test too much.

im installing kubuntu today, say something nice to me

Attached: 8138050447929577088.png (755x567, 300K)

I hope your grub will break

well at least you layed off the windumbs

Why dont you just install KDE Neon or a rolling release distro like Arch with KDE?

because stability > new features, and its not like there are a huge new features anyway

I'm gonna try replacing most bash files with python files on the basis that bash is inconsistent af

Attached: 1534219419936.gif (249x214, 594K)

is there Inkscape in stretch debian backports? can't find it, perhaps you know better where to search?

So, installed Manjaro Linux with the architect installation. Did a minimal install with KDE.

Installed i3gaps with yaourt and now I have an option to start session with i3 (pic related), but when I do it just freezes. Plasma works fine.

Attached: 15379726962651870085342.jpg (3264x2448, 1.35M)

For GUI just Firejail and let your distro worry about AppArmor.
> Docker
Vaguely similar Firejail in terms of implementation, but hosts a lightweight 'VM' with its own kernel. It's unnecessary for almost everything.

What's a good qt-based mail client to replace thunderbird?

Would you suggest using Firejail for running sandboxed applications on a headless computer with no x-server?

kmail?

systemd is probably your simplest / lightest weight sandboxing tool if you're running a systemd distro. firejail will work too. It depends on what you want to do.

Alright will look into it thanks, i dont have anything i need to sandbox on a headless computer i just wanted to know about it as a reference incase i need it in a future. For now it seems like Firejail is what i would need. Didnt know systemd could be used for sandboxing though.

>wiki.debian.org/SimpleBackportCreation
Is this also true for Devuan?

>Didnt know systemd could be used for sandboxing though
You can put cgroups, user namespaces, ... as part of the execution context in unit files. It's good if all you want to do is restrict access to local resources like the filesystem and syscalls, but it doesn't have a bunch of task-oriented recipes like firejail.

what font for japanese characters?

How can i set env variable for cron command? Can i just use generic bash syntax with * * * * * VARIABLE=value /path/to/binary/with/arguments?

You can set environment variables in the crontab file. Just VARIABLE=value as a one liner.

The problem with one line statements like you have is they may not be honored if /bin/sh is something like dash or busybox. You could set SHELL=/usr/bin/bash in the crontab though.

>2018
>still no front end for diskdestroyer

whoever you quoted is wrong, you want to download buster iso and upgrade to sid from there

Attached: 2018-09-26_19:02:42.png (639x171, 17K)

but why... I've been doing the reverse because python execution time is slower

How do i create a bootable windows usb installer using dd? I tried dd bs=4m if=win10.iso of=sdd. Copied the contents of the iso but i cant boot off it.

try adding conv=fdatasync

I got a new laptop that has Windows 7 on it.
It has a C partition for the windows installation, and it also has a 15GB Lenovo recovery partition.

How do I get rid of both those partitions so i can install Linux from scratch?

Wipe them from the linux installer

Made no difference
I have 2 options in my boot menu for the flash drive
The first sends me to grub
The uefi one sends me back to my bios

Made my root partition 170gb and home partition 70gb, should it be the other way around? On 240GB SSD with no extra HDDs.

Can't do that with just dd. Try woeusb.

Yes. You usually get to keep your home but not your root partition when switching distros or reinstalling.
Personally I think 50 gigs is plenty for a root partition. Link /opt or whatever to a dir in your home if you run out of space.

i have 2 hdds, sda with windows and sdb for linux. i created 2 partitions on sdb, / and swap, anything else? what device should i install boot loader on? sda sdb? pls halp

Attached: 20180926_200220.jpg (4032x1960, 3.75M)

sdb

I would make a root and a home partition on sdb, see Install your boot loader on sdb and tell your BIOS (if any) to boot from that. GRUB can usually chainload Windows while the Windows bootloader is an idiot.

ok thx

Will they actually pull their code?

I'm a Windowsfag finally fed up with Bill's shit, and I'm making the jump.
Is there any reason to not unironically install gentoo? The level of customization appeals to my autism, and I'm not such a drooling retard that I can't figure it out.

Attached: 539o2yjbqjr01.jpg (2488x3068, 391K)

if I install linux on my laptop, will my BIOS utility get removed? For example, if I have an ASUS custom BIOS utility, will it get replaced?

posted in last thread about how i cant connect debian to internet through wifi

ive decided to buy an internet cable to connect my computer to the router. will it work or is it a waste of money?

Attached: 1536736181186.png (416x435, 99K)

You can install from source on any binary-based distro. It's not like source-based distros aren't cool, it's just gets annoying after some time. In the end, all OSes exist to do a set of tasks, and these bleeding edge distros require too much time to maintenance them.

> ive decided to buy an internet cable
You mean "Wi-Fi cable", right?

Once I connect Bluetooth headphones, Youtube in any browser hangs up and refuses to show any video. How can I fix this, aside of using wires?

NVidia?

web hose*

But i don't want to set variable for entire crontab file, i need it specifically for 1 command. Separate shell script?

The issue is clearly with the sound, Youtube plays just fine from speakerphones or wired headphones.

You didn't answer.

youtube.com/watch?v=_cZC67wXUTs

>/lgbt/ - linux/GNU buddy thread.

Intertube

It's just licenselets spreading fake news. You can't un-free copyleft software. That's the whole point of copyleft.

Contributors can stop contributing tho and contribute to a fork instead.

That's possible.

>companies and developers will leave the million dollar cow Linux, simply because of a code of conduct
>there are redditors who believe this

GPL v2 has no no-rescission clause so theyy probably can pull their code

I have antergos installed on my laptop but I'm tired of having a distro that I'd be embarrassed to publicly admit to using, should I install Debian and be comfy or take the time and effort to install Arch?

Attached: 1537805836484.png (848x1200, 469K)

No driver support
Lack of software

Arch

So which is better for AMD cards on Linux in 2018? MESA or Catalyst?

I'm trying out KDE for the first time, and I've run into a minor problem. On my panel (which I've enlarged for the screenshot) you can see that there are 2 icons for multimc. the one on the left is a launcher, which uses the Papirus icon, and the one on the right is what opens when I click the launcher, and uses it's own icon.

My problem is that I only want one icon, and for it to be the papirus one. So I either need to change the application icon to the papirus one, or make the launcher act like a pinned application. Are either of these possible?

Attached: Screenshot_20180926_153458.png (749x77, 16K)

キタ━━━(゚∀゚)━━━!!

Attached: icecat60.png (620x321, 43K)

Attached: 0f9.png (606x315, 235K)

One is the launcher, one is the actual running game.

What DE for an Atom tablet? Gnome supports touch well, but runs like molasses on Atom, meanwhile KDE is snappy but some UI components (like the launchers) and many KDE applications (like, for the most obvious example, Dolphin) are completely non-touch-aware - can't even pan to scroll.

I know. I want to know if there is a way to change the icon for the running game

>13 days Version bumped to v60.2.0esr, plus changes to source build script
St. IGNUcius blesses us today.

Yes, it should.

Installing Devuan ASCII should I go with cinimmon or xfce? This is my first time using linux.

1. open any image search engine
2. first enter "xfce" then look at images
3. then enter "cinnamon desktop" then look at images
4. install whichever looks better for you

you can always install the other one later without reinstalling your system.

>installed gentoo
>spend literal week setting up USE flags CFLAGS/CPPFLAGS/LDFLAGS
>compile program
>16 hours later
>install compiled program
>launch program
>ITS SIGNIFICANTLY SLOWER IN ALL ASPECTS OF THE WORD
>IT CRASHES RANDOMLY WHEN ACCESSING THE FILE SYSTEM
>THE GUI TAKES MULTIPLE SECONDS TO RESPOND TO ANY USER ACTION
WHY DID YOU LIE TO ME Jow Forums?

Okay I wasn't sure if one was arbitrarily better then the other. Went with cinimmon. Thanks!

I want to split my one HDD into two partitions. One side Windows the other Solus. Will Windows be able to snoop around the Solus partition?

I installed Cinnamon on my Kubuntu to try it but how do I switch to it?
>installed
>nothing happens
>logged out and logged in
>it's still KDE Plasma
How do I make it run cinnamon?

There are a few ext4 reading tools for windows libre/freeware/paid. There are plugins (diskinternals reader for tcmd), standalone applications and drivers for fully transparent driver-letter assign. Some of them allow write access too.

In your login manager there is a button somewhere which lets you choose which DE or WM you want to log into. Search for it.

No.
Windows refuses to acknowledge the existence of non-NTFS partitions.
Maybe there's third party software to do that but the Windows itself will pretend it doesn't exist.

There should be a small box where you're able to select which DE you want to use while you're in your Login screen.