/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous thread: If you're looking for purchase advice, state your budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™

>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Libreboot-compatible models:
>T60 (check lcd), X60(s/t); X200(s/t. -s requires soldering), T400(s)/500; W500.

Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, widely available, socketed CPU, both Coreboot-compatible (Ivy Bridge CPU support on T420); Quad Core Compatible, Old keyboard swap on *30 series
>T520/530; W520/530 - 15", 1080p, DTR, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3.0
>T440s - don't ever buy this meme
>T440p/540p; W540/1 - Last Thinkpads with socketed processors, easily replaceable trackpad (W541 doesn't need trackpad replacement)
>P-Series - 15'' + 17'', 4K display, up to 64GB of RAM, Xeon CPU option. Expensive.

Upgraded models:
>X210 - X200/X201, i5 8250u quadcore
>X62 - X61, i5 5250u
>T70 - T60, i7 7700 hq
IPS displays, USB 3.0, m.2 x4, mini dp, no
forum.51nb.com/forum.php?mod=forumdisplay&fid=117

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint™, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

>ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org

Attached: ritsu.jpg (1000x563, 95K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pkgs.org/download/woeusb
amazon.com/Acer-2-50GHz-GeForce-Windows-E5-575G-562T/dp/B072BGMLJ6/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1538098617&sr=8-5&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=acer aspire e15 nvidia&dpPl=1&dpID=51z8sUjHfSL&ref=plSrch.
reddit.com/r/hardwareswap/comments/9jiuvd/usanyhheavily_modified_thinkpad_t430_usb3_docking/
tcsltesting.blogspot.com/2018/09/stuff-just-got-real.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

first for thinkpad w530

Where's the trap?

Attached: FaceApp_1535314171406.jpg (1280x1280, 780K)

helping me with homework today, also anyone that bullies my princess please stay off /tpg/

This guy is trying to sell my mom a T430 for 300 bucks, I know fuck all about computers, is this a good deal?

Sorry if I'm breaking any thread rules I'm in a fucking rush.

Delusional faggot.

probably not but what are the specs?

dunno I need to ask her i shouldn't have posted yet lol.

no bully please

Attached: 1538080271061.jpg (1280x1280, 710K)

No that's a terrible price, no problem getting one under $200

I had this feeling it was but I didn't know the specs, still don't, and I jumped the gun posting. But I was thinking it was too much.

Even with the "best" specs it's not worth 300.. Just get her an i5 model on ebay and she'll be fine

where to buy ram and replacement keyboard for x230 for cheap?

You'd have to go pretty deep on the dark web for that, don't do like normal people and look at ebay

Are upgraded models stable ? Would it be compatible with libreboot ? What if I am not a ching Chang chong

Yes
No
You pay and get them through Jacky on the LCDFans facebook page.

Why won't my T60 boot from usb? I have usb bios enabled and the correct boot order.

download PLOP and burn it on a disc, then choose USB in the list
I am using it to install Zorin OS on my Mac Pro 1,1 right now
What OS and software used to create the USB BTW?

I just ordered an E485 to get me through college, did I fuck up Jow Forums ?

Just ordered a refurbished X200, it's my first thinkpad, boys

Attached: Excited.jpg (218x311, 11K)

Linux and dd

Use WoeUSB instead, works great.
pkgs.org/download/woeusb
choose the one you need

Awesome, I just ordered a T440p. Can't wait to put OpenBSD on it and start getting comfy

is there any way to buy those rare 51nb modded x330/whatever laptops without sending an existing thinkpad to china?

Alright, can anyone recommend something cheap with a serial port? Need something for managing switches and shit.

Lads, I've got an x200 that I want to install Debian on. Which image do I need to download to do a USB install?

Fuck off

Yeah you could check what they have available, unless you're retarded it's pretty simple

Well I'm not going to put some shit distro like Arch on it...

R U D E

Any amd64 image, assuming that's what you're asking and not stable/testing/unstable

You're clearly won't put any distro on it since you're too fucking retarded to put it on a USB-stick

I think I'll put Ubuntu canonical on it

I'll be surprised if you make it

Bad day?

Pretty much, sorry

Is the T450s a meme like the t440s?

Why does my W700 smell like horse piss sometimes? Serious question.

I got it in really good shape (just a bit of dust) but sometimes it just has this bizarre odour and I don't know why.

How's 150 europoors for a mint condition x220? No IPS screen or SSD though, battery should be good.

Pretty standard price these days

Something inside burned

Such an ugly tranny. His parents must be disappointed in the monstrosity he's become.

My T500 has the same smell, it's fucking weird

coz previous owner used horse cum for thermal appliance

Wow, someone actually saved my "ritsu holding a t420" pic. I thought no one liked it.

Attached: K-On-Yui-yui-hirasawa-15998358-600-450.jpg (600x450, 51K)

it's pretty good user

Attached: ritsu thinkpad.png (480x480, 226K)

I dont have much to add to the thread but I just wanted to say that after not having a laptop for a number of years buying a refurbished T540p is the BEST thing that I've ever done.
It is a fucking amazing mobile workstation for the 535,-€ I've paid. All I had to do was upgrade the CPU from an i5 to a quad core i7, buy a new battery and add a second (mechanical) hard drive (~700€ in total) and I have more than enough to get me through college and for producing some music as a hobby.
I'll probably never buy from another brand ever. That is all.

Since my w520 doesn’t have an hdmi port, What cables will I need to hook it to the hdmi port on my tv?

boutta buy a t510 for around 120 dollars (aprox) what can i expect?

Alright so this is the situation:
I bought two T430's like two or three years ago.
One for me and one for my dad.

I used mine as you'd expect any Jow Forums user would. I carried it around and dual booted Linux and Windows. I tried taking care of the battery by unplugging it when having ac power available and all that stuff. I also play video games but always unplugged the battery. Sometimes I forgot and leaved it plugged in with the battery on.
Whenever I needed to go out, I closed the lid and carry it while suspended.
Now the battery won't last more than 5mins on either Windows or Linux.

On the other hand, my dad mostly uses it as a MS Office + mail machine. Almost never takes it out of the office and leaves the thing plugged in with the battery on for like 12 hours straight. He also just closes the screen when he needs to carry it around.
His battery still holds around 4hrs on Windows with the moderate consumption plan.

Why is this? Could it be something about the electricity of my house? (I don't live with him). Could it be Linux? Could it be playing games with the laptop plugged in and the battery on?

I just got a new X230 and the battery life is great so far. I don't want to kill my battery again.

Attached: 1536373499513.jpg (1148x917, 155K)

My brother wants to upgrade his 10 year old desktop and is thinking of switching to a laptop style.
So the thing is that it has to be a bit more powerful on the graphical side than usual and i was searching around and the prices are fucking scary man 1k for a fucking laptop? wtf

Ended up at lenovos site and they have great price ranges but i don't know if they are worth it on the gaming aspect, im in front of the ThinkPad A475 have no clue about anything but it says AMD, please guide me a bit

just buy a new battery

The a475 has a shitty cpu/gpu. Would not reccomend this laptop for gaming or any intensive stuff. If you want an amd thinkpad that's worth a shit, you'll have 5o buy the a485 or a275 which is like 1k. You can get much better performance than the a475 from something like this amazon.com/Acer-2-50GHz-GeForce-Windows-E5-575G-562T/dp/B072BGMLJ6/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1538098617&sr=8-5&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=acer aspire e15 nvidia&dpPl=1&dpID=51z8sUjHfSL&ref=plSrch.
Be sure to check reviews for thermal throttling though. I also can't speak for its other features like keyboard, screen, or battery life

Shit I meant either the a485 or a285 not a275

I wanted to buy my dad a thinkpad so he could mess around with gahnoo/loonix what's a cheap model to buy? thinking x220

just ordered an x1 extreme

AUS pricing btw

I should have waited for more reviews.. but i heard the thermal properties were good and just went with it

Attached: done.png (868x640, 63K)

Hey /tpg/, there's a user selling a T430 with "shimmed keyboard"

Are there special requirements to fitting a T420 keyboard into T430 or am I missing something?

reddit.com/r/hardwareswap/comments/9jiuvd/usanyhheavily_modified_thinkpad_t430_usb3_docking/

my x230 with an ips has a column of color scrambled pixels about an inch wide
it goes away and comes sometimes if i tap the bezel or the palm rest

I just checked all the connections, any idea what it could be?

Also any chance x200 screens are compatible?

Not necessarily Thinkpad
I was given a bare bones M900 Tiny Thinkcentre without a processor.
It has a Q170 chipset.
Does any know if it will be possible to use a Xeon processor in this?

Attached: file.png (1060x596, 377K)

why do people keep re-posting this disheveled looking gremlin? he doesn't even remotely pass as female

No, intel went full jew with skylake and newer xeons require special chipset, Q170 only supports normal consumer i3/i5/i7 line.

Damn. It's been awhile since I have built a computer, so I wasn't sure.
Thanks for the input though.

could be wrong but isn't it more damaging not to have the battery constantly hooked up to a power source?
the more it's at max capacity the better.

Holy shit user

I can and will buy a new battery when needed, for my new X230. But I don't want it to die in a fucking year.

I thought this was the other way around.
The battery, as I thought, should rest between 20% - 90%.

I tend to workstations that mostly sit on their chargers all their lives and when they eventually do get taken out, the battery is fine.
again, I'm no battery expert, but at least with modern liion ones you want to charge them as often as possible

What about carrying them around while suspended?
I got the idea that it damages the battery, because of my last experience.

Now I always turn completely off my X230 before going out.

never heard anything of the sort except for old computers running Win10. it drains the battery past the sleeping point, essentially killing it.
if you have a ssd it shouldn't matter. don't think it matters for the battery at all really.

maybe you got a dud. or a fake one. and you do know thinkpads throttle the cpu if you don't a battery in right?
since you said you played games on it.

>and you do know thinkpads throttle the cpu if you don't a battery in right?
>since you said you played games on it.

I didn't quite get this.
Could you rephrase it?

thinkpads slow down the processor if the battery isn't plugged in and/or the charger isn't rated properly.
for example, they ship i7s with 65w chargers but it'll be throttled down to a crawl.

and that's real bad if you're doing something cpu intensive, like gaming.

i can't read chinkese

tcsltesting.blogspot.com/2018/09/stuff-just-got-real.html
>UEFI rootkit found in Lenovo laptops, exploiting Computrace
How confident are you in your used hardware?

I have a t420 how do I rice the balls off this thing? Gimme max performance recommendations, I hear its quad core compatible?

Attached: 42436536_1942890912462280_8888055307171790848_n.png.jpg (500x281, 12K)

Literally no AMD k we done. Wow that was epic!

battery slice
i7 quadcore
1080p chinkmod
usb 3.0 expresscard
max out ram
harddrive in cd drivebay
msata ssd
ssd
fresh new keyboard
fresh new palmrest
"trap" anime stickers

My X230 is reaching 100-102C temperatures under full CPU and GPU load while it's in my Mini Docking Series 3, is this normal? I've changed the thermal paste already but the temps remained the same

Attached: ThinkPad.png (1280x720, 579K)

Wut games you playin?

I like whipping this out in class and erecting the antenna.

Attached: 20180928_004912_HDR-min.jpg (3120x4160, 1.83M)

based and redpilled

LOL I'll pass on the trap stickers. Ive heard of most of these but thanks for the list. I've looked into the 1080 chinkmod and that damned video adapter is hard to find. I think I'll be fine with 900p. What is an usb expresscard? Is the i7 worth without a graphics card? Should I just go for the W451?

Based

Attached: pia21975-opt.jpg (1800x2389, 338K)

I used to play Dota 2. I guess that was the heaviest game I played on it.
But I mostly play older games.
Spent a lot of time on San Andreas (like every six months since it was released on 2004), Max Payne 1 and 2, Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines, CS:S, HL2 and episodes, Doom 1 and 2, Medieval 2 Total War and among some others.

Attached: 1536364121837.png (738x757, 487K)

ahahah nearly spat on my screen from laughing! What model is that? Envious.

t61 mb in t60 14" isa CUTE
oWo

been playin Open Morrowind on my T420. Is the T430 specs higher? I feel like those games would be too intensive for my machine? Do you run linux or windows?

Is that thing still usable?

oowopsy woopsy forgot pic

Attached: 20180928_021404-1470x3024.jpg (1470x3024, 939K)

I dual boot Arch and W10.
I feel like the specs feel more or less the same. I have 8Gb of Ram and that intel HD3000 with a SSD.
The T420 is still very powerful. You should be able to run every game I listed, except maybe Dota 2.

Attached: 20180928_021425-3024x1470.jpg (3024x1470, 1.09M)

Yui? more like cutie

That thing is sexy. Congrats user.

What paste? If its cheap no-name garbage its basically toothpaste. mx4, as5, nt-h1, kryonaut are all high-end good stuff

also happy almost Halloween, old oWo pic from last year

Attached: Screenshot_20180928-022634_Gallery-2220x1080.jpg (2220x1080, 265K)

I dont have an ssd yet and only 4 gigs of ram. Im gonna upgrade to the 900p screen and get those parts as well. When I get the money I'll go for a quadcore for more POWAH

I have the i5-2520 cpu also

the left is inside the right now, its like the biggy wiggy dark peepee inside a small tight asian jappy wappy assy.

are x250 any good for linux use for around 400 USD 1080p?
i want 1080p thinkpad really badly, but x230 all have 768p

Attached: IMG_4728.jpg (1900x1425, 830K)

Drop awp Blyat.

Translate the page