Is it possible to get a Jow Forums career without going to college for 4 years paying $40K or more?

Is it possible to get a Jow Forums career without going to college for 4 years paying $40K or more?

I'm not asking about being a freelance web designer or a $12/hour Geek Squad employee, but a legitimate career.

I taught myself Java years ago to make Minecraft stuff for my little Sister at the time. I learned a little C# to write scripts for my bank's investment software. I can diagnose many computer repair issues. But I still feel like I don't know shit about anything Jow Forums related. I work in logistics for a distribution center and before that did QC for a factory that made vinyl siding for houses.

I just want to be on a computer doing something interesting besides editing spreadsheets pretending to look smart.

Attached: shutterstock_552355801.jpg (700x467, 216K)

All that matters is experience, so yes.

Landing your first job you need to show dedication and competence. That you'll stay a while to return the investment of time and money they out into you. The idea being if you can think and learn for your self, and they give you the tools to do so (and jobs to do). Then you'll become a profitable employee.

Bumping for interest. 19 y/o zoomer here in a similar situation. Somewhere ~$50k would be comfy af.

Attached: zoomer.gif (478x350, 84K)

College costs 60k if you're not a retard and can finish in 3 years. After graduating you'll be able to pay it all off in 1 year.

i got into massive debt for college but my job in sf is so well-paying that the debt will be gone in a few years

I did it. Started doing pretty shitty gigs like customizing WordPress, tho. But that lead me to meet a client who then founded a startup an hired me as employee #1. The pay was shit, but after two years there I had enough experience that nobody cared I did not have a degree. Even got a job at Amazon as sde3 (which I quit, but that's another story).
This is not the path for everyone, I guess, but not impossible if you are a bit stubborn and learn to sell yourself. I would do it again.

>just finish an engineering degree in 3 years
wow great advice user

You could finish it in 4 years like a normal person. Get a 4.0, get internships, do personal projects, contribute to open source, have a leadership role in a relevant club, and you are guaranteed at least 6 figures out of college. Think about how pre-med students have to go through 10 years of schooling to make $200k. You can work your ass off in 4 years to make $100k straight out of college. The wage you got from your internships paid off your student loans already.

You can do 2-year programs at a community college and come out making decent money, some even offer one year certification programs where you just take your core classes and hit the job market.

I wouldn't necessarily count on current inflated wages being a reality in 4 years. This is a bubble and when it pops it's going to affect new grads the most.

Yep being Italian, I pay 3000/y for CS and that's only because I al rich as fuck.
Poors usually pay around 500/y

my story so far:
>do decently well in high school, get free tuition to a local community college
>go to community college for 2 years, keep high gpa
>transfer to a good in-state university, still keep high gpa and free tuition
>do summer internships and work part-time at my university's IT department during semesters
>in my last semester, have a good amount of work experience and no debt

if you have the opportunity to go to college for less money, i'd suggest you take it.

If you're not a retard, college shouldn't cost you a dime

How are job prospects over there? What would be the usual pay for junior or senior devs?

Not him, but... Wages in Europe are far lower than in the US, but then again you get Healthcare, education, better work life balance, and less passive aggressive coworkers, in my experience.

How old is your sister now?

In Poland right now being a CS student sound pretty neat.
State pays for your education, EU for your time on internships.
When I was in uni, the only work they were willing to pay was physical one and I had to pretend it was related to computers to not wok more for mandatory internship.

>the only work they were willing to pay was physical one
FUCKING BASED.

Also everyone is white in Europe.

Just use student loans. I graduated with a CS degree from a terrible university in August. Last week I got an offer for $87k.

yes of course
it is possible
are you black? do you have a marketable front hole?

Depends on what you want to work on and work as. Some places are strict and wont hire without at least a bachelors

This.
Two years at a community college, get all the certs you can while there.
This way, you've got some credit under your belt if you ever decide to go back for you 4-year.