No Reason to Get New Phones

I dont know if I have tunnel vision with my usage of smartphones but
what is the point of buying a new piece of tech every year?

All I ever see people use it for is as a Facebook machine, reading
PDFs, streaming music and virtually nothing else.
I always see that they'll advertise new devices as having some
epic graphical chip and being able to run fortnite but honestly
who the fuck plays games on their phone that require anything
beyond being able to run fucking flappy bird?

It just doesn't really make sense, none of the features that
they seem to come up with really do much for me as a
consumer, so why the fuck should I shell out $500 for a
phone that performs virtually the same as my iPhone 5s?

The only speedups I'm gonna get are going to be slight
split second increases in how fast my device switches
between tasks, literally nothing else.

Change my mind

Attached: oneplus-6-box-1.jpg (805x456, 58K)

You're right

More ram and better CPU for AI processing of personal assistants and computer vision placed in phones.

To further elaborate on my point, the only features I've seen come out this year that are revolutionary/useful were the AR features the were added to Android Pie, namely the one where you could use your camera on GMaps and it actually tells you the ratings and shit of the places on the map. That and the measuring tool that iOS 12 added. Literally nothing else. And while I think that those tools ARE cool and useful, it still doesn't make the $600-1500 markup worth it to get a new device to use those features when you can literally just do well with traditional measuring tools and normal GPS and GMaps capability. It just doesn't make any sense.

Why should I pay some company that slapped some mediocre features and improvements onto a device and marked it up an extra $200 when the markup isn't doing anything for the sweatshop slaves that make this useless shit

But why would I need more RAM if all I'm doing is streaming music and adding indians to group chats on facebook messenger? It works just fine on my 5 year old device, why bother?

The games part is IMHO particularly asinine as we have many wonderful Android controllers but all they ever make are more jackass touchscreen games! I mean the idea of a do all device is great as I can only carry so much shit in my pants at once and much of that space is occupied by my big hairy gonads, so multitasking shit is great. That is it's great until you realize even on your amazing pocket computer with state of the art pocket sized CPU GPU and other assorted bullshit + awesome controller, somehow all we get is god-damned angry birds and Candy crush or whatever the new dumbass barely a game fad is.

Well if there are no games what else? Perhaps a badass photo editor like Photoshop or even gimp? Fuck no and fuck you! Perhaps some awesome video editing software? Once again lol eat a dick!
Hell even mobile VR (presumably the only use of these constantly upgrading specs) is still a big ol bucket of shit.
I'll be blunt, I own a Moto z 2 and unless I get something ground breakingly awesome (like an actual fucking keyboard and not that portrait blackberry wankery) I see absolutely no reason to upgrade ever at all. If the battery goes to shit I'll just slap another battery pack mod on it and call it fixed.

In the case of Android, you should upgrade once you are no longer receiving OS updates and cannot manually install something like LineageOS yourself. Basically just get a cheap Android One phone like the Xiaomi Mi A2.

>trusting big corp intentions
>buying new phone every year to be part of the cool people
>become even fatter and lazier because big corp buddy is doing everything for you
>embracing the orwellian nightmare
de/g/enerate

You can get a 1 year old Oneplus 5 with 8 GB Ram for like 500 USD. Do you need more Ram?

I feel you man, I'm still using my 2015 phone cause it does everything I want from it.
Maybe I'd like a better camera but that's about it.

why the fuck did you format your post so stupidly

MotoX 2013 reporting in

Everything works just fine

Yeah but no security updates.

Phones (the iPhone in particular) are status symbols. I've already seen a number of brainless thots posing with the new iPhone on my insta feed. You think these kind of people buy new phones for actual productivity stuff?

I feel the same, I run my phones until I break them. I average ~18 months though, but always buy whatever the Jow Forums budget phone of choice is.

2 year old phones dont have em either

Yeah, that's a good reason to buy a new one.

And if this is a general smartphone bitch thread allow me to add to my last rant here...
Why in the ever loving buttfucking shit is every god-damned phone a phablet? What happened to more reasonable sized phones? Ya know convenient sized about the original Moto x or so? I mean if you faggots are gonna take every fucking button off the bastard why can't everything be reasonably within thumb sweep range for one handed use?
If it weren't for Pandora (which occasionally plays a new song) and maps I'd just get a damned feature phone and be done with it. The fuck do modern smartphone even do anyway? They don't game, they don't have decent programs and half the time they don't even have a headphone jack anymore. What's the god-damned point? Quick internet browsing for when your out and want to look something up real quick? Feature phones do that? Media playback? They do that too. Calling texting and emailing? Yep all of it no Android or iOS required.
The actual fuck are these things for?

Not really no.

cameras are lot better now which is important if your a narcissist

Attached: 1-ARCHWAY.jpg (5760x2454, 2.15M)

Browsers and websites. I have s5 and now running into Ram issues when browsing some infinity website where it keeps loading content as you scroll. It crashes the browser

Then don't buy new phone.

Not at all.

I don't know, I don't have phone. But Carrying better processor accelerates flow of heavy tasks, and if you need to snapshot document with camera, having it recognized into PDF with TEXT and images separated, images totally flattened out of some perspective it may be useful.

Also you can play better games at phone.

what the fuck is the point of personal assistants? I know how to do everything already. I don't need Google Bitch™ to tell me how to fucking update my weight lifting spreadsheet or open google maps

None other than maybe getting updated OS. All the features added to phones other than finger print sensors and waterproofness are pointless gimmicks.
I'm considering getting a Nokia One device as it will do whatever I want to do with my smart phone.

i have no idea i wanted it to be more readable and not obtrusive

lol no, that's kinda the point. As I mentioned earlier, I use an iPhone 5s that my girlfriend gave me after my Moto X 3rd gen died and I literally have NO issue at all with memory usage.
To further my point, I recently downloaded shitty fucking snapchat to send something to my friend and even fucking snapchat for how bloated it is, was a piece of fucking cake to run. (i'm on iOS 10, not 11; though i tried 11 and it was dogshit)

I am no longer receiving OS updates and frankly I don't even feel like I need them, especially not on iOS.
Something quite ironic was that when I had the 3rd Gen Moto X, it was during the time that Motorola had been acquired by Lenovo and so I finally got android 7 when everyone else was getting 8.
My point being; Android seems more like a race to get the latest version than iOS does. You can't really tell apart an iPhone 6 from an iPhone 8, and as far as screenshots go, they're indistinguishable. With android you can clearly tell what phone+version based on their UI alone.

The status symbols of who? Poor people? To put things into perspective, my dad is a software engineer and my stepmom is an eye surgeon and they both work & live in the lower east side of Manhattan. Last time I saw them she was still using the same iPhone 6 we got her a couple of years ago. Dad uses a goddamn windows phone and shills for windows.

OP here, still, I had issues with an LG G3 I got from a friend for $20 when it comes to loading facebook and other shit, and I had similar problems on my Moto X 3 (Google edition).
On my 5s, everything loads perfectly fine. Yeah it's not the fastest, but I definitely don't notice any stupid problems when trying to load certain content, so it's more than likely a software problem Android has (probably because its apps run on top of fucking Java lol), than anything.

>dad shills for windows
Fucking pajeet father

>$500

Bro you can get OnePlus 5's for like $250 on Swappa

Yet my dignity not to be treated like ass by a company is priceless.

Galaxy note 3 reporting in

>Using AR to scan Documents
While I completely and wholeheartedly agree that this is a useful feature, is scanning physical documents with your phone REALLY something you'd shell over $1000 to do?
Can you name me even one time in the last 6 months where you've ever had to scan a document for a serious purpose, and not to see it work?
I completely agree that AR technology is fucking great, you'd be a fool to disagree, however it's just not worth the markup specifically for that. And if I'm honest with you, even AR technology doesn't require THAT much compute power.

That's EXACTLY my point. These features are great and all, but they're like sprinkles on top of an ice cream cone; they don't matter once you bite into it.

plz elaborate

lol i think the icing on the cake is that he uses C# as his main programming language and has been ever since he stopped programming with ANSI C in 2004

In his defense C# has good integration with Microshit stuff I've been told, so I guess he has a valid point there. But I've gotten into debates with him where he's tried to sell me on bing being a better search engine than Google, and cortana being a good personal assistant.

last time i paid a lot of money for a phone, it was the asus zenfone (2?) and i loved it until i tried to root it and bricked it
then my buddy gave me his old phone, samsung galaxy core, and i loved THAT phone, used it until it stopped turning on, and bought another one

then amazon sent me two brand new ones which is pretty cool, not sure why. card wasnt charged twice

I have gotten a Xiaomi Mi Max 2 recently for a real cheap price.

I can't see anything that I would need from phones that are 4, 5, 6, 7 times the price. It's as fast as I would ever need a fucking smartphone to be. It's not lacking on any functions that I wouldn't need, and the camera works the way I need it as well. Seriously, at this point I have no need for anything else. I honestly do not see the point on wasting more than 300 bucks on a phone anymore.

YEAH, I completely agree, the Steve Jobs era of innovation is dead, and part of what made Apple devices stand out was the fact that they had a home button. Now it seems like they're taking steps backwards and making it shittier. I used to use a Galaxy S3/iPhone 4 until like 2015 because they both had dedicated buttons (and i was also broke at the time)

Now I finally am not broke but I'm realizing that there's no justification for why anyone would shell out hundreds of dollars for products that can run flappy bird for like, 2 extra hours.

AR Measurement? Yeah that's pretty cool, but I usually have a tape measure around somewhere, and am not a physics student anymore so I don't need to measure shit anyway.

Google Maps Camera? Fucking amazing if you're travelling somewhere and want to see reviews and directions for shit. When was the last time I traveled out of the country? 2015. Even then, gmaps did perfectly fine.

Document Scanning? It's amazing but not something I ever have to deal with unless I'm working with boomers who prefer wasting precious trees to have a copy of a term sheet.

Realistically, none of these features are something I'd use on a day-to-day basis. They're novel, yes, but not something I'd use daily.

Wanna know what I think the most innovative feature Android Pie added?
The ability to have your phone go into do not disturb mode while I'm studying or trying to sleep.
That's literally it.

>I honestly do not see the point on wasting more than 300 bucks on a phone anymore.

Yeah I think that this whole buzz of smartphones being a status quo and whatnot is a bubble. People aren't buying phones anymore, and it's not because we don't like them; they just simply satisfy all the needs we currently have, and don't innovate nearly enough as they need to in order to make us feel compelled to wait 3 days in line to get a new one.

I think that smartphones are really becoming like other household appliances; they were great at the time, but their usefulness has been established, and we don't need any extra smart features like bluetooth shit added on in order to keep our fucking food cold. Maybe I'm a 20 year old boomer, but I REALLY don't see the need to spend $15,000 on a smart fridge that lets me view that the food is cold. I know it's cold. I don't need need extra bloatware and backdoors into my home to do that for me.

Normies are moving away from desktops, and have begun using phones as their main computer. It makes sense they would want the fastest possible computer for all their everyday needs (texting, shitting up social media, playing fortnite). In a desktop you can easily upgrade by swapping out parts, to a upgrade a phone you have to throw it away and get a new one.

The stupidest thing is home assistants. I can't still piece together why would someone want something like Alexa, or worse, the little creepy robots they keep doing kickstarters on. I know some people have a desire to be watched and surveilled but this is not the fucking standard. Nor should someone give his privacy away for wasting just 3 seconds less. People have gotten so lazy they can't push a button, need someone else to do it.

The only reason people buy new smartphones is too full full their hollow life, it’s similar to comfort eating.

Look at the Alexa, apparently it's going to be able to detect intruders in your home by knowing it's not your saved voices. So that means it will be always recording and have your voice saved, how fucked

>assistants. I can't still piece together why would someone want something like Alexa, or worse, the little creepy robots they keep doing kickstarters on. I know some people have a desire to be watched and surveilled but this is not the fucking standard. Nor should someone give his privacy away for wasting just 3 seconds less. People have gotten so lazy they can't push a button,

Kathy, two really great points; home assistants are practically useless unless you place them in media places in the home on an isolated WiFi network so they don't have access to the rest of the packets getting sent wirelessly. For the most part I don't think people care if they're being listened to at this point, we're not in China, and we never will be. For something like being able to remote control certain systems of your home, it's great; but really anyone can do that with a phone and a pajeet tutorial on how to write a python app with a raspberry pi. The only use me and my girlfriend have gotten out of the alexa her family has is for putting on stupid music and searching for dumbass apps on their store, nothing else.

Attached: Selection_401.png (382x439, 158K)

>alexa can detect intruders
So can my dog

no goy, you need newer phones and you know it

Attached: 1453585500892.gif (256x264, 8K)

Dogs are good boys, assistants are for dumb goys.

People are insanely lazy, what's new? Now people are paying for the privilege

>People are insanely lazy, what's new? Now people are paying for the privilege
Yeah I agree, I don't think being lazy is inherently good. If we weren't lazy then we'd never have gotten to where we are today.

They provide more personal assistance to humans than I've ever seen a smartphone do, without selling your data to advertisement corporations.

Idk if you go on a college campus you can still see someone using a macbook or some other facebook machine every in every corner. I think the market for consumer-built and specified computers has significantly grown since the late 90s, the only people I ever see buy desktops today are corporations or startups who need to hire X amount of employees so they buy X + m pre-built ready-to-go desktops where m is the predicted amount of future employees.