Why is firefox losing by so much?

Why is firefox losing by so much?
All clean profiles by the way

Attached: Browsers-fs8.png (1440x878, 59K)

Why do you care? The fastest possible code is code that never runs. The way to have a blazing-fast browser isn't it pick the one with the highest benchmark scores, its to install ad and script blocking.

because mozilla is led by a feminist

Firefox BLOAT

Made me curious so I checked. While the gap on my system is similar it's slightly smaller. 685 on Chrome vs 532 on Firefox, that's a pretty big difference. Firefox version is actually 62.0 on Linux, btw, screenshot just reports the default.useragent.override setting.

These are with totally NOT clean profiles, btw, so that's somewhat important to note. Mainly, Chromium on my box does not seem to get GPU acceleration enabled chrome://gpu/ (last tiem I set it up, anyway). The same is true for Firefox, I changed quite few things there to. The page to check in Firefox is about:support to see if
layers.acceleration.force-enabled
layers.omtp.enabled
is set to true.
I am guessing some of the gap is due to those settings not being enabled. Then there is......
gfx.canvas.azure.accelerated
which I have set to false (default, I didn't disable it, just don't enable it). I do believe Firefox would perform better with this set to enabled for this test, I'm actually going to check. The Problem with this setting is that it made some sites use exponentially more GPU VRAM. If having a web page open makes GPU VRAM usage go from 1 GB to 5-6 GB in less than half an hour then there's something ... wrong.

Attached: chrome-vs-firefox.jpg (2802x1674, 474K)

Yeah ive wondered taht too myself lately.

Firefox running 4 live video streams keeps disconnecting and reconnecting, other browsers run fine.

>Linux 0.0
now that was a kernel

Attached: images.jpg (234x215, 8K)

>Why is a project concentrating on gender politics lagging behind software that's actually developed?

Attached: 1534744598430.jpg (220x219, 28K)

Firefox with
gfx.canvas.azure.accelerated
changed to true and the same settings as the previous run bumped the score up to 566. This is an improvement over 532 but it's still more than a hundred points shy of 685 in Chrome.. same browser version, btw, and still on linux. I just updated the useragent string and also ublock origin filters to get rid of those "share" buttons

Attached: firefox-improved-score.jpg (1929x1687, 296K)

Ain't gonna be a kernel no more with SJW code

Nu-Firefox is an absolute garbage and I'm furious that The Botnet Browser is the only one currently usable.

Firefox is a clusterfuck of old code.

The Gecko engine is a clusterfuck of 25 year-old code. That's why they want to replace it with Servo.
So far all they've done is replace the CSS rendering, which did introduce big improvements.
The problem is that the Servo development was stalled while Rust was being development, and now that Rust is mostly done they have to implement whatever bullshit new HTML5 standards the W3C has approved that week both in Gecko and servo since they can't just leave all their current users in the air.

Can you try that with a WebKit-based browser?

so when is firefox going to be cleared back to use?

there's absolutely nothing about "new" c code that makes it inherently faster than old c code. claws-mail is really old but it's a whole lot faster than thunderbird.

And blink, which is what chrome/chromium uses today, is a fork of webkit which is a fork of khtml - which is .. quite old.

Firefox's desire to replace gecko with servo does seem to be a problem, though, gecko got little improvement and servo hasn't amounted to anything. its not like they decided to throw webkit under the bus when they started blink, they forked it (=improved major parts of it).

On a different note, I would very much like to see one of you wintoddler girls run that benchmark. the two results in this thread are from me and one other user running Linux, I'm just curious to see how the results compare on Windows. Linux was somewhat of a priority back when Firefox was forked it was named Phoenix and then Firebird. Mozilla gradually decided that Windows is the market (which is true) and it seems like they are basically ignoring Linux these days.

>using Firefox unironically

It's not 2006 anymore

Decided to test Konqueror because why not, haven't used it for quite some time but I got curious how other browsers compare... and this result ... is interesting.

>Konqueror 766

So .. Konqueror is actually the fastest Linux browser?

Attached: konqueror-5.0.97.png (1529x1043, 138K)

>lower is better

Maybe it's fastest, but it also crashes and is unstable. Some websites work with, some don't, some JS works, some don't.
Crashes every 3 minutes (or less, depends on which website is opened), but never ends process.

If it just worked, I'd use it over Firefox.

A lot of security that might get ignored by smaller players make your browser slower. Somehow FireFox manages to be the least secure and slowest.
Based and redpilled.

>google is not concerned with gender politics

>Maybe it's fastest, but it also crashes and is unstable
That is not my experience testing it the last 5 minutes, but there are some rather obvious short-comings. Press the menu key or right-click a page in chrome and you have back, forward, reload and some other options & in firefox you have back, forward and reload arrows.

In Konqueror there's.. Bookmark and Open in firefox?

Also, it's got a URL bar and search bar. Typing keywords into the URL bar results in errors. Which .. I guess is because it's a URL bar .. but using that for searching works in every other browser. There's a LOT of basic usability issues like this.

Attached: konqueror-wtf.jpg (2402x1457, 432K)

Code does not age, of course. The problem is that old code is not replaced, so if there's a bug causing performance issues, or if the original design was flawed or unsuitable for modern needs it will not be fixed ever. Also there's the problem of patches upon patches upon patches of code.
Blink is a WebKit fork, indeed. The idea behind Blink was to revamp the engine, remove useless code and rewrite other parts.

Mine will probably fail because I disabled webgl to avoid fingerprinting. So I don't really care about which implements all the standards. I just care about which implements the standards I care about.

Yeah, I've noticed all this. But for me it's unstable for some reason.
Could be because I'm using arch and it fetches an unstable version of konqueror.
Nothing else was/is broken.

firefox is a shit browser

colors are off
it's slow
does shit weirdly for no fucking reason
has scrolling issues/weirdness
has screen tearing where every other browser doesn't

yeah, being knee-deep in SJW bullshit isn't a good argument to use for or against any web modern web browser..

as for alternatives, anyone using linux and not using chromium/chrome or firefox?

and I'm also still curious to see results of that browser benchmark on the wintendo if anyone wants to check that out

gonna run it on my laptop, btw. it's got the Intel CPU and iGPU which may produce results that differ from a desktop with a dedicated one

Price of freedom

t. Gargle cum user

shit site. doesn't even work properly
>Browser had problems running multiple tests
which ones?????????????????
webdev/10

Attached: Screenshot_2018-09-28 How fast is your browser .png (1663x958, 53K)

Rust

Cuz that's more inclusive.

It's gonna have lower scores overall than on windows since no loonex browsers can decode videos on the GPU

Why are all the big tech companies going backwards?

Attached: Seems fine.jpg (1135x808, 65K)

Uninstalled chrome last night.

It runs a program called google updater in the background gen when chrome is closed.

that would be relevant if your statements was true and video decoding was a part of this test.. but none of those things are true. hardware accelerated video decoding works fine, and so does accelerated WebGL (which IS relevant for this test).

nice, now run it in chrome too so we can get a comparison. that figure doesn't mean all that much since it also depends on what cpu/gpu/hardware you are (ab)using.

912 is much higher than what I got in both chromium/firefox/konqueror, that much is sure

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-09-28 16-10-34.png (1024x600, 53K)

Why not try Nightly with all the webrender shit on? Literally nobody on Jow Forums runs vanilla Firefox.

Good point, should try a fresh firefox install too

Attached: fuck me.jpg (1142x866, 68K)

>IPad as fast as Desktop Power 1000w space heaters

Lmao

Attached: 13A84B61-443F-4299-B6D1-3112CFB89A21.jpg (1668x1464, 371K)

I get similar results on Windows as well.
Not really surprised. I looked into setting up FF sync server (with self hosted auth) and what I saw made me throw up inside. With software quality like this no wonder they're getting left behind.

No such thing as hardware accelerated video playback on linux browsers.

>I looked into setting up FF sync server (with self hosted auth) and what I saw made me throw up inside.
I looked that up once and came upon some dudes tutorial/experience while setting it up, made me almost punch the screen

>hardware accelerated video decoding works fine
It doesn't even work on Windows. Didn't Mozilla get a huge speedup from disabling the video decoder on Vega?

So is nobody gonna run Nightly with gfx.webrender.all set to true? I'd do it but this test doesn't even load in any of my browsers.