I want to make a sleeper laptop out of this old Windows 3.1 laptop...

I want to make a sleeper laptop out of this old Windows 3.1 laptop. Like how people get old desktop towers and put modern stuff inside. Can this be done? How do I replace this horrible orange screen with a modern HD color screen?

Attached: comp.jpg (2307x2112, 396K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=xR3PiTKKhsY
youtube.com/watch?v=lEcw_oTKTa0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Ccouldn't you just put a SBC in an old case?

>horrible orange screen
Absolutely degenerate

Swede? Find the dimensions of the screen (ruler), go on panelook.com and find something similar. Alternatively you can search on ebay and similar.

Then it comes to the problem of hooking the thing up. With the original crap inside it'd probably be easiest to tap into the VGA connector and use some sort of driver board for the LCD.

God I miss amber displays.

That is a gas discharge display (plasma), not sure how the early models are driven but the power supply is mounted at the back.

Attached: panasonic_md400f640pd6_1.jpg (1000x653, 222K)

Of course it's a plasma but nobody makes a modern HD plasma screen. Hence hooking the VGA signal I assume is there somewhere and routing it to a driver/LCD.

What a great way to destroy a working old piece of technology, to build le ebin sleeper gaymen peeshee for le epic upboats on r*ddit! Hahaha! Destroy ALL THE OLD TECH!!!! LMAO

I thought of doing the same thing to an old grid case ten pound monstrosity if I couldn't get it working right again, but I could never figure out how to get the case of either the computer or the ejectable PSU open. Thing doesn't even turn on.

In any case, you could find any old laptop with a small enough screen and a bolt together assembly, unbolt everything from the case, and bolt it onto some mounting adaper brackets inside the older computer case. Alternatively, throw a raspberry pi in there and whatever monitor of your choice, because even that would be an upgrade and could probably run all the old software in a VM. You might even have the space for a cluster of the things.

Good luck getting it to use the original ports though.

>horrible orange screen
stopped reading there
kys

Why change it?
This thing looks great.
Get a gpd pocket and piss off.

>destroying a rare laptop
Please don't do this, it would be stupid

Fuck yeah dude! Destroy that old piece of shit!

Attached: FIGFI0VHYVDOF3B.LARGE.jpg (923x758, 115K)

His money, his property, his choice.

can't you express yourself in a non retarded manner?

you should put it to sleep lol

Just buy a Thinkpad ffs. No need to defile vintage tech.

based and redpilled

desu I don't see that much of an issue with upgrading internals so long as the body's mostly intact :/

It's cooler stock than whatever stupid shit you plan on doing to it

No, fuck you

Fuck off libtard. Monuments and buildings of historic importance are protected by law, no reason this kind of bullshit shouldn't be looked down upon either.

>libtard
I wasn't aware that libertarians hated freedom and the ability to do whatever you want to your property

You are not "upgrading" anything, you are throwing away/destroying rare electronic designs that hundreds if not thousands of people worked on for years and were at one time the state of the art in consumer electronics.
Think about it, that board you're throwing away could have the last working copy of an unique design hundreds of people spent their lives developing. And a lot of them passed away already or are going to in the near future.
Detailed electronics archeology in a thousand years will be impossible because of people like you.

Have you guys been tracking the price of vintage computer stuff throughout the year? They have been growing rapidly. Don't op. You will regret it later. I don't believe people understand how hard old computer stuff is going to come by in a few decades. This is exactly why prices jump, people don't realize it, and just destroy it, toss it away, etc.

6 years ago I bought 3 SGI computers for peanuts, one had cracks, the other was virtually new, with box, manuals still shrink wrapped, and the other had no case. They are selling for 3 times what I paid for.

If you actually give that much of a shit, then buy it from him you fucking autist

Lolbertarians sell their souls to rich faggots as much as libtards do, now fuck off.

>I should be able to destroy rare historical artifacts because you don't have the money to buy it from me

>I should be able to decide over the private property of other people
Fuck off commie.

again, who exactly do you think you are to tell him what he can and can't do with his property?

technology is a tool not an art. There are reference computers already in museums.

this is now a save old hardware thread.

Attached: old1.jpg (1142x648, 142K)

>If you support taxation you are a commie
This is why nobody takes ancaps seriously.

people thought I was stupid for spending $50 on these.

Don't be that guy OP.

Attached: old2.jpg (752x497, 78K)

They are for display only and can't be used by normal people or destructively reverse engineered.

Haha nice one dude. Can you play nes games on that retro badboi?

Somebody who wants to save a rare computer from being gutted and replaced with goymer trash

Why would you replace the keyboard? That's the only thing triggering me here

well it doesn't much matter what you want, does it? You don't own the thing.

I can try to convince him :^)

a cool fact.

When you bought these back in the 90s, the paper trail was deep, it comes with a piece of paper saying when it was made, where it was made, at what time, when it was shipped to the distributer, when it was shipped to the customer. Has a "made in the USA" stamp. Oh how things have changed.

this

Yeah, and there's a reason they cost so much more, in inflation-adjusted terms, than computers do now.

Taxation is theft.

what is that black thing?

If I won the lottery I would buy out all old vintage computer market. The only reason people don't do it because you gotta store all that shit.

The older ones are even more expensive. You can buy a house or two with some of the models. Whenever I get enough money I will buy the o2+ purple. I have 3 systems right now, 2 o2's, 1 octane2. Also have all the Irix cds I burned few years back. I don't even know linux that well, and had to read instructions on how ot install the OS, lets say it took a good amount of times and had to type in a wall of text. Feels good though surfing the net on it.

You could not since laptops have proprietary case forms.

I hope you have those CDs backed up. Even the best CDs stop working after a couple years.

Why are you people retarded? He's fucking saying his opinion and all you can do is act 12 years old "dur it's his it belongs to him, his decision." Everyone fucking knows that. God.

I like the rest of you in this thread. It's a good night to be alive.

Attached: __ayanami_rei_neon_genesis_evangelion_drawn_by_soya_torga__9cec2f3d886bd23d4d274b02bb2bc732.jpg (1230x2000, 127K)

i have the isos, they are on the net I think, and if they aren't I still have em backed up.

youtube.com/watch?v=xR3PiTKKhsY

Attached: webforce_commerce_ad.jpg (1268x1750, 358K)

Unironically this

youtube.com/watch?v=lEcw_oTKTa0

If you even have to ask this question you're about ten levels of technical skill shy of attempting this project.

It can be done, but you're not ready for it.

>I want to make a sleeper
Dropped.

OP, please do the following for us.

1. Go to your nearest gun shop
2. Purchase a 12 gauge shotgun and a box of shells
3. Take the gun home and unpack it
4. Load the shells into the shotgun
5. Place the barrel of the shotgun inside your mouth
6. Pull on the trigger

I know you can do it. I believe in you.

not to mention that obtuse trackpad placed behind the keyboard

Just use it to remote into something much more powerful - e.g., a Raspberry PI 3B+.