Be me 1.5 years ago

>Be me 1.5 years ago
>Have a choice between a laptop with 120gb ssd or a similarly priced same model laptop with 500gb hdd
> Choose ssd one because muh speeds.
> Can't save literally anything on it.

Attached: 1323578059001.png (640x753, 27K)

Other urls found in this thread:

web.archive.org/web/20080119003934/http://www.ebuyer.com:80/store/Components/cat/Hard-Drives
youtube.com/watch?v=71qAKqyWoKY
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>zoomers in charge of storage space management

>Be me last year
>have £100 ish to buy a laptop for notes and general useage
> only avaliable laptop was a idea pad 100s (most think pads are sold without parts (or was back then)
>only have 32gb emmc
Tell Me again how you can install anything

Mfw can't change is because of shitty lenovo not letting the bios do it, and can't find modded bios

just buy external drive
problem solved

There's that, but that means lugging a drive everywhere, unless somehow I have all my files on a

if only there was a way to replace the drive with a bigger one by removing a couple of screws

Attached: 1517294537305.png (517x326, 8K)

It's a soldered you knob

>buying new when you only have 100 bongistanies
You could have gotten a nice thinkpad with that by monitoring ebay

>I can't install my games on my 120gb SSD
ftfy

Sorry about that, it's soldered on to the mono knob. There we go

You should have bought a used thinkpad. You can actually upgrade the hardrives on those

I should have, there's no doubting that. But the powers of autism and being a inpatient tit had just lead me to get a new one

How much was ur laptop

well you're retarded for buying a laptop with a soldered drive.

150 (that includes the warrenty, and postage)

It's upgradable but i'm just trying to get by.

Just tape the external drive to your laptop loooooollll

150 dollars?! Wow what a steal user. Buy another laptop a used thinkpad for like 200 or 300 with better specs. And then you will have two laptops. Having multiple laptops is awesome.

>he bought pre-built
Get fucked, zoomer

Attached: 1530036109159.gif (200x234, 2.85M)

do you have a dvd drive in it? if so take it out and order an hdd-caddy

Kek

>120gb ssd
Don't forget to leave at least 10% free space on it, otherwise it'll die prematurely

It doesn't have a cd drive.

SSDs are a meme.

>mobo
Fixed that for you

It's now at 118gb.
So i can only use 108gb of my drive? What a retarded world we live in.

Attached: 1504790954744.jpg (700x700, 149K)

SSD's cost basically nothing these days.
Just upgrade the laptop to a 500gb.-1tb ssd.

It's far to small for a dvd drive see picture

Thanks

Attached: IMG_20180928_193522_stripped.jpg (2976x2845, 1.48M)

>SSD's cost basically nothing these days.
>1tb SSD
>at least $160

Is this a successful discussion or are you trying to steal my thread?

Mix of both

Im naming my next band Mono Knob

Well if you have ANY sources of income you'll be able to afford it.
Like, ask your mom to give you money or something. She'll be happy to support your hobbies.

Don't worry, I can afford it.
It's just that I don't like to get scammed on prices when we were promised 10tb consumer SSDs.
Instead we're stuck with garbage capacity and 1tb SSD costs as much as 8tb of HDDs

Average consumer doesn't need more than 1 tb of permanent storage, and even that requires them to be a frequent torrenter.
The ssd prices have been going steadily down for 6 years, theres very little to complain about.

I agree with the dude about ssd prices dropping quite a lot, not to long ago (like a year, don't quote me) 1tb was £400 now it's like 160. But the average user needing less than 1tb is retarded

Well if its needed 3tb hdds are also cheap.
It's just that the prices for storage were an issue back in PS3 times when you were paying 100bucks more for 60gb of hdd space. These days everything else is more costly.

>the average user needing less than 1tb is retarded
This.
Your average game on Steam is already over 40gb.
Your OS is over 25gb.
Your phone shoots 4k video.

Back in 2008 hard drives were £50 for 500gb it was just Sony being kikes... Again

Proof: web.archive.org/web/20080119003934/http://www.ebuyer.com:80/store/Components/cat/Hard-Drives

Thanks to high internet speeds storing stuff you don't have a need for is low also.
I have many games in stream library but only 1 installed currently because if I want to play some game again it takes short moments to dl it.

???

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-09-28 at 1.05.31 PM.png (1055x493, 236K)

you can get a decent laptop with 256GB SSD for $400-$500

????

Attached: Original-8MOBILITY-Aluminum-MiniDrive-Micro-SD-Card-Reader-For-Macbook-Pro-Retina-13-Model-303A-Memo (640x617, 63K)

You said the average user doesn't need more than 1tb
>I have many games in stream library but only 1 installed currently because if I want to play some game again it takes short moments to dl it.
How many normies do that?

A step ahead of you

Attached: IMG_20180928_200903_stripped.jpg (3968x2976, 2.51M)

>buy laptop with 512GB SSD
>no issues
Feels great

Bait

I'm glad for you user.

Could you tell me a photo that I just took is bait?, do you need a time stamp?

>16GB

>not having a nas/server

120gb is plenty, unless you use windows... try ccleaner if so

They were dirt cheap, don't see what's wrong with 16gb, good for file storage on the move although slow. Other than that until I can get a new pc there about the same amount of storage that I have on me laptop

If RDR2 came to pc it'd be 100gb+

Ideapad 100s supposedly has a M2 slot, I remember from when I researched it as an alternative (didn't buy it so I can't confirm). You may want to check if that's a possibility. I ended up with a similar cheap Acer laptop with 64 GB with Windows pre-installed and I found it easy to install a M2 drive for Linux when I opened it up. I left the Windows infestation there in case I need to go through customs and that kind of thing

A SOLDERED storage device? Lmfao! What fucking faggot would buy that kike garbage?

Laptops are usually pre-built. I have, in fact, yet to see a home-built laptop. If you have built your own laptop then please, please enlighten us on how to do that and post pictures and tutorials. I'm curious.

Desktops are another story but you can't very well drag those along with you and use them on the bus

>Be me
>buy nonshit laptop with multiple drive bays
>buy 500GB SSD and add another 500GB later

Just had a look online(I'm a fucking mong for not doing that in the first place) appre tly it does, slim gonna die for a screw driver and open it up. I'll report if it does or not

>Average consumer doesn't need more than 1 tb of permanent storage
It really depends on what your "average" consumer does. If you simply take some videos of family gatherings like weddings and Christmas celebrations and so on these days then you'll use up a lot of space very quickly. I don't drag all that around on my laptop all the time, indeed I can't because it's too large in total. I'm just saying that "1 TB is enough for everyone" is kind of an odd statement. Really doesn't take much to fill that.

If you have some "I want to keep this data forever" I'd recommend external HDD's and cloud storage.
Takes 1 ransomware to encrypt your pc and wow all that data is lost.

Did a quick yt search, here's a video of some dude installing a M2 drive in a 100S
youtube.com/watch?v=71qAKqyWoKY

kind of looks like that might be torx screws holding the bottom cover in place, though. not that expensive to buy a cheap set of bits but annoying if you don't already have it

Thanks dude, a genuine help. I've got the screw driver tip, just gonna Check if it's there

>Be me 5 years ago
>Buy laptop with 750GB HDD
>Get home, pull off back panel, install 256GB mSATA SSD

I'm sorry you chose a shitty laptop, user.

>1 year ago
>customising thinkpad for college on Lenovo website
>choice between 500GB 7200RPM HDD or 128GB SSD
>have never used Windows 10 before so assume it will run as well as my Win7 desktop with a 7200RPM drive
>get it with HDD
>it's slow as fuck
>almost unusable, reinstalling windows didn't help
>thinking of installing Windows 7 on it or biting the bullet and buying a SSD for it
I only ended up using about 200gb of space at any one time anyway. Fucking windows 10 it's so bad

Attached: 1507742253184.jpg (753x595, 23K)

Just buy an SSD they are cheap now

These.
Get a job, zoomer.

Thinkpads would be cool if shipping wasn't 100$ on its own

get thiccer ssd