Why don't they just make phones 4x thicker and fill that extra space with battery and stronger internals like 32G RAM?

Why don't they just make phones 4x thicker and fill that extra space with battery and stronger internals like 32G RAM?
Why is every smartphone maker obsessed with thinness?

Attached: 1433954535801.gif (320x320, 1.77M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=c06HoSJdDjo
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_dress
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Because the average consumer doesn’t care about performance

Why don't you just tape an external battery pack to the back of your phone?

Normies want thin phones. They work around this by making the phones bigger.

So this is what the brainlets were confused about. Fucking lighting and they think the dress was anything except gold and white. FUCK brainlets

(the real reason is because the phone would have a shitload of problems with overheating and reception, not to mention it'll take fucking forever to charge a phone with a 10,000 mAh battery. but Jow Forums will just tell you "muh retarded consumers" and "design team runs everything," etc)

The dress was actually black and blue, though. People eventually found the company that makes it, and they only make a black and blue version.
If you see white and gold it means you have slightly poor vision.

Imagine lugging a brick around in your pocket
nevermind that the phone becomes twice as thick the second you secure it with a case. Might as well go back to using Patrick Bateman tier phones.

Nice rug

I did this with the Galaxy S III. Had a case that held a big fucking battery that at least doubled the phone thickness, and it simply replaced the existing battery since lol removable backplate.

Fucker would run for five days and charged basically normally overnight. So damn convenient. Coming from a Motorola Droid that lasted maybe eight hours, it was incredible.

it's actually because of physics, not because of normies.
batteries that are too thick would overheat easily, and the other components would be smothered anyway. that's why they place the components around the battery, and not under it.

Because smart phones are meant for soi bois and roastys, who are obsessed with tiny shit and making things smaller.

Thinness meme

If you have a bigger battery that means your current draw from it is lower per capacity, so the battery will actually get less hot under peak load. Double the battery capacity and you suddenly have room for shit like a fucking headphone jack, and you can put a real heat spreader over the logic board.

Phones used to be thicker and they still managed with far less efficient CPUs and radios. There is no reason why the batteries need to be razor thin, it's just marketing because normies are absolutely retarded.

Apple didn't become a trillion dollar company by selling thick phones with big batteries

My friend got that oukitel phone with a 10k mah battery. It weighs a fucking pound, I love it

>Phones used to be thicker and they still managed with far less efficient CPUs and radios.
Yeah. They also had horrible reception and got hot doing nothing. And even they followed the construction format of putting the components around the battery for optimal performance.

Attached: confuson.jpg (900x900, 37K)

>I used to be able to play snake on a monochrome LCD for three days straight
>now it dies if I stream HD netflix while playing snes emulators for just 5 hours

Why are engineers all trash these days?

The more efficient option would be to optimize software and hardware to run effectively while sipping minimal amounts of power instead of just jamming as much battery capacity into a block as you can and hoping for the best.

Can't tell if sarcasm but those Nokia phones from the early 2000s were limited to a tiny set of tasks. Phone calls, texts, managing contacts (and not a lot), and snake. The hardware used to meet those basic requirements do not use up a lot of energy at all. Especially since those phones had tiny screens with no backlight and like 100 pixels.
It's basically a TI calculator with a cellphone built in.

>Less efficient CPUs radios
>Got hot doing nothing.
No. Fucking. Shit. Are you braindead? The CPUs and radios were, read slowly here: LESS EFFICIENT. Of course they got hot and didn't perform as well. Far more of the energy was just going straight to heat because the technology wasn't as good. Putting a big battery on a modern device doesn't magically make the CPU and radio 2009-tier. If it were really true that adding bulk lead to a literal inferno, then drop proof cases would be the leading cause of housefires right now.
The better reception and performance of modern phones is basically ALL down to Qualcomm doing crazyass EE deep magic in the chipset. The thinness hasn't improved anything.

Answering your comparison seriously: Battery tech didn't scale with current demand for the hardware, and simultaneously we started putting smaller and smaller batteries in devices.
If we just put in bigger batteries you could get 18hr SOT without even making the phone fuckhueg. Just thick enough to hold comfortably.

>extended battery
I forgot about this wish I had got one for my S2 before they stopped making/selling them
fucking sealed batteries should be illegal

Attached: if g made the iphone.png (618x968, 530K)

Because homosexual normalfags want thin shit.
I had to buy one of those thick "rugged" cases for my Redmi Note 3 Pro just so i can get a good grip on it because the sides of the backplate are rounded and make it even thinner, this thing already has a 4000mAh battery by the way.

>thick batteries overheat easily
>sitting next to a battery that's 7 inch wide by 12 inch long by 7 inch deep

Stop fucking bullshitting you god damn nigger.

Does a phone really need 32gb of ram? If anything I want 1tb storage and a stronger cpu/gpu at the cost of thinness

holy fucking shit are you really this retarded?
OBVIOUSLY a car battery wouldn't work in a cellphone.

Attached: boi emoji.gif (128x128, 130K)

>lithium-ion batteries that are too thick tend to get too hot for a phone to handle
>TH-THAT'S NOT TRUE CUZ CAR BATTERIES
wow.

I had this with the s2, was pretty awesome yes.

A car battery won't work on 1 cm thin cellphone. A 10 feet by 10 feet by 10 feet car battery will certainly work with a 100 feet by 100 feet by 100 feet phone. The whole fucking point of OP is to increase the size of the phone to allow bigger battery. You're claiming larger lithium batteries are impossible.

You do know about lithium car batteries exist right?

Fucking retards.

R E T A R D S
E
T
A
R
D
S

I own a phone with a 10 Ah battery, it actually charges fairly quickly and doesn't overheat. it's true that there's a good reason for components to go around the battery instead of over/under it tho, but it's not only because of heat
>32G RAM
that's excessive even for a desktop, not sure what y'all doing on a phone that requires more than 3

subtle trolling, I love it

>a 100 feet by 100 feet by 100 feet phone
with the current retarded phablet trend i bet this will be a thing

>"current retarded phablet trend"
>it's been a "trend" now for like 7 years.
let's just face it. phones are big now.

>let's just face it. phones are big now.
Is a man not entitled to the room in his pocket?
no says the apple user it belongs to the dongles
no says the android user it belongs to the 9.7" screen
I rejected these answers and instead bought a nokia 1 as any phone wider than 66-68mm is retarded

Nigger, you have five pockets. Six to nine if you're wearing cargos. Up to 11 if you're wearing cargos and a jacket.
You can sacrifice one of those 11 pockets for your phone.

Why don’t you glue a battery pack on the back of your phone?

I have a 7500mAh battery on my phone and it's fine. It's not 'lugging' anything. You're a normie who has no idea what you're talking about.

yeah i don't want to carry a fucking brick

I think it's funny the kind of people who post about wanting retardedly high performance out of a phone neglecting it's usability are the exact type of people who would never use that phone to its potential.

What are you going to do with fuckin 32 gb of RAM on a phone you aspie?

>13mm thick wallet to carry 2 pieces of plastic
>5mm phone that's good for 1 hour of screen on time
ok buddy
>wanting retardedly high performance out of a phone neglecting it's usability
better performance != worse usability

Women's pants. No, seriously. Women's pants have godawful tiny pockets since the pants are often skintight or the next thing to it. Phones have to be thin to fit in these pockets and nobody wants to make a "just for men" cell phone unless you count the ruggedized versions.

>5mm phone that's good for 1 hour of screen on time
Stop buying shitty phones

>what are you poor or something?
pic related is the most expensive phones on the market after just 2 hours of use.

Keep in mind these batteries are brand new - their storage capacity will decrease sharply with normal use.

Nice try, though. Accusing someone of being poor is a good way to win an argument.

Attached: Brand new premium smartphones after 2 hours of use.png (893x606, 882K)

>the iPhone X is beating out the Note 8
How is that even possible?

Because bloated Samsung.

Not hard to save battery life if your phone has no features and no multitasking

OP is confirmed a retard. From a business stand point, it's just not good. It's just good for niche market, and niche market is overpriced as fuck.

Better just slap a 10 Ah power bank behind your phone.

But then everyone just puts a case around them, negating those thinness savings

You're quite a genius

>"Galaxy Note has a bigger battery. It lasts forever."
>youtube.com/watch?v=c06HoSJdDjo
>"O-oh? Well yeah it makes sense that it would die before the iPhone, seeing as it's more powerful."

Attached: cope sensitive.jpg (462x190, 72K)

Women barely have pockets on their pants, the 1mm thick phones we have now barely fit. They wouldnt be able to handle anything bigger. You know how you see thots with phones hanging halfway out of their pockets? Thats why.

Yeah - I mean, the market decides. I think a couple companies have attempted to make phones with larger batteries but they don't sell.

The biggest debacle is sealed vs removable battery.

>manufacturer makes a phone with removable battery
>every tech journalist on the planet says the phone feels cheap
>same phone with sealed battery
>'right away you can tell this is a premium device'
I swear

They will be thin like paper soon, next step hologram phones

yes, because everyone knows that thinner phone = more advanced technology.

>What are you going to do with fuckin 32 gb of RAM on a phone
on boot load selected (by user) apps into ramdisk that syncs with non-volatile memory when the device sleeps

More retarded still, is that most users must constantly lug around power banks to lamely work around the lame endurance of the built-in batteries. Of course about 60% of the juice is lost in the transfer, making the combination even more cumbersome and awkward. I FUCKING HATE THAT.

Not poor vision, it means you see things in a slightly different way when you focus on them. Some people exclude a certain part of the hue spectrum when their brains try to ignore the backlight while some other people exclude the other side of the spectrum.

Attached: NoU.png (1600x1031, 675K)

kek, never realised this. There's a strong push for thin phones but many people end up carrying a power bank anyway mitigating the whole thing

t. Retard with shitty monitor

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_dress
>Although the actual colour was eventually confirmed as blue and black,[3][4] the image prompted many discussions, with users debating their opinions on the colour and how they perceived the dress as a certain colour.

It's fucking black and blue. This is factual. I personally can only see it as white and gold unless I squint, but it is confirmed black and blue.

The fucked up thing is that when you use a powerbank all your doing is making the sealed in battery's life even worse with the extra cycles.
If your that heavy of a user to drain a flagship's battery enough where 2 charges are needed a day you need to rethink your habits or else your going to end up having a near dead battery in a year

>SoT

Android fag detected. You already can swap batteries you braindead retard.

You can open the image in Photoshop retard, it doesn't matter what the original dress actually was it matters the images actual color values

Even then, it's ambiguous. Photoshop renders "blue" part as white, but other programs render it as true blue. That's literally why the photo went viral in the first place; some people see a certain set of colors while others see others.
It's not definite.

It's not ambigous. The actual color of the dress doesn't matter in the least the image matters. You're just a gullible reyard who isn't even capable of buying ripe fruit appropriately.

>retard can't spell "retard"
I'm done talking to you now.

the average user just uses a phone to make phone calls

neither of those changes are important

What a stupid reply. A typo, wow. Walk off a golden cliff at night. Better hope no car insurance provider catches whim of your retard brain.

For me it's not a problem since I don't depend on public transportation and am never where I can't plug-in, cause too disabled for hiking & such where I might need a phone with long battery life. But there are an awful lot of people who do (especially in Yurop) who are endlessly inconvenienced by dinky internal batteries. The standard should be that overnight charging covers 90% of users 99% of the time, but in reality it's more like 50% / 80%. Doubling the battery size would take care of that, and contribute little to the bulk and weight of phones. That manufacturers don't give users that option is simply evil.

or maybe if you only see black and blue you have poor vision

Because it doesn't look as good to the average consumer. Personally I miss thick phones but that's why I am getting a 10k mah phone next. Possibly rugged if that exists.
Not even booming here but I like holding thick and meaty things. Possibly related to the fact that I like cock.

>Possibly rugged if that exists
blackview has a few of those

Because incel opinions dont matter
Thinner phone is more aesthetic

>Why is every smartphone maker obsessed with thinness
AN excuse to have less features, materials, and it lowers production costs.

A phone with 32GB RAM and the CPU/GPU power of a low end laptop could outright replace PCs for a lot of people. There are generic USB3 docks that can handle a monitor or two, keyboard, mouse, gigabit ethernet, and more all at once. Plug a phone with multiwindow capability and a healthy dose of "serious" apps like Termux or MS Office into one of those and you have a desktop.

My phone's about 8.2mm thick. I'd be okay with bumping that up to about 12mm but after that it's gonna be too thick. I thought I'd be okay with doubling it to 16mm but after looking at that on my calipers I don't think that's acceptable. Quadrupling that to 32mm puts the phone at over 1.2 inches thick and that's just ridiculous.

Because phones aren't PCs. They are meant to be portable not powerful. If a phone was 4x thicker that would severely limit its ease of use and increase its weight. Stop being a basement retard. People leave their home and have to carry that shit. If you want to use a more powerful system just use a PC.

I leave my house frequently and often can't charge my phone all day. Don't bring up the powerbank argument because I wouldn't need one if my phone had a bigger battery.
Also thick and meaty co.. I mean phones are my passion.

Buy a phone with a bigger battery then? Also what the fuck are you doing to your phone that you need to charge it in the middle of the day? Do you have a shitty iPhone or something?

Android and while it's an older phone it does just fine. I work from my phone most of the day as it does the job better than the office pc and all I do is answer emails.

Also long shitting sessions feel so much nicer when you don't drop a single percent battery in half an hour.

is right and , as usual of people who twist reality to peddle hierarchies, doesn't. The color hue perception may also flip in time and is background color dependent.

Replace the floppy drive for micro a
sd slots and this will be the perfect phone