How did Iwata fit both Johto and Kanto in one game?

Can anyone explain how he did this? Are people who are able to do what he did highly valued and rare in game studios?

Attached: gold-silver-169-uk.jpg (578x327, 92K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2017/09/22/the-history-of-pokemon-gold-and-silver.aspx
tcrf.net/Prerelease:Pokémon_Gold_and_Silver
iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/ds/pokemon/0/2
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

He used the memory on the cartridge.

environment probably doesn't take much space compared to everything else

also

Explain like I am 5 years old.
They couldn't even get Johto into the game cartridge but Iwata not only did he get Johto in, he put in Kanto as well and that is thanks to his technical skills, how did he do that?

.kkrieger takes 10 times less space than that. Maps(especially tile based) take very little space compared to textures and sounds.

>>Jow Forumsexplainlikeimfive

Also I was banned from that subbreddit for asking why women have periods, from a biblical perspective.

Attached: off to v.png (800x471, 14K)

I'm talking about the technical aspects, do you honestly think /v/ of all places knows how games work under the bonnet? They are as clueless as I am.

Compression seems likely, you know, you could program your own GBC emulator and find out for yourself.

Yea, because 78% of Jow Forums regulars /v/ and they secretly don't like to admit it. Also Jow Forums won't know the answer. Its a consumer's comparison board.

maybe this helps to find more info:

gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2017/09/22/the-history-of-pokemon-gold-and-silver.aspx

tcrf.net/Prerelease:Pokémon_Gold_and_Silver

Well how do you get started on something like that?

Imagine a 16x16 8bit picture. Not much, right? But that's about how much one screen takes since it's all made of tiles, even less if compression is involved.

>why women have periods, from a biblical perspective
I didn't know that I needed to know this until just now

Same assets, just arranged in a different way.
The world is made up of small parts, and the map you see is those parts put together like a puzzle.
The puzzle's layout is kept as basic text. Johto is one layout, Kanto is another. Both pulling from the same map parts.

This is basic 2d game design.

Because Jews.

>daily nvidia/AMD threads
>Jow Forums is not a gaming board!!!

kek

It isn't even a gaming question, it's a programming question.

Red/Green (jp) used 512 KB ROM, or at least seemed to be designed to fit in it.
Red/Blue (en) used 1 MB ROM but only used just over half of it. The translation required some extra space and the original was already so cramped that Mew could only be added once the debug routines were removed.
Gen 2 used 2 MB ROM chips. You can guess how they fit twice as much stuff in there.

God told Eve not to eat the apple. Eve eats the apple. This annoys God. Eve was a woman. God decides to punish all woman because of Eve's mistake. God punishes woman by making them baby carriers and giving them periods.

The friendly folks over at /dpt/ would be delighted to help you get started!

From what I've read, Iwata was supposedly a programming genius. He was tasked multiple times when he worked at HAL and Nintendo to take over others' work when it became a nightmare of spaghetti code. I'm guessing he was just really really good at optimization and reducing the total lines of code down considerably.

So basically the only way to optimise a game and make it smaller is by reducing the amount of coding going on but at the same time achieve the same result?

>Explain like I am 5 years old.
How do you can fit 2x4kb shit on a 10kb cart?

>do you honestly think /v/ of all places knows how games work

Holy fuck, and you think Jow Forums does? This board is nothing but phone posters and AMD vs Intel shitposting. Nobody knows anything.

It's simple if you've seen any of the half assed work that gamefreak has done

I vaguely remember reading about how Iwata was a really talented programmer and would always be called in to fix projects and get them to launch.

Pokemon Red:
1MB, 1 region.

Pokemon Gold:
2MB, 2 regions.

I don't see whats unusual.

>one person did something
>punish them and their descendants for all eternity

This always sounds like fanfiction-tier garbage regardless if it's religion or mythology

Attached: please_respond.jpg (355x369, 83K)

Eve is symbolic of all women in general.
What the bible is saying is that women will always be naive, and fall into traps such as the one set.
Basically this is the bible saying that:
(a) Men should have control over women.
(b) Women can't be trusted, and will cheat.

Symbolism in religion is stupid, too

It's Kafkatrapping.

Kanto is pretty empty.

Your descendants are really just an extension of yourself, I don't get why people don't get this. Not only from a biblical perspective but scientifically as well.

These. The cartridge just had more storage space, seriously just look at the ROM rips. The devs didn't magically come up with some free (as in performance) compression trick that reduced the size by half. The hardware got better

Is God a misogynist?

Gamefreak are the Bethesda of Japan. They are the most incompetent programmers in video games. They probably fucked everything up and Iwata simply rewrote the code as someone who had taken more than a 30 second course in programming.

Pokemon Gold has nearly twice as many pokemon and has better grafix tho

>derivatives not carrying the same flaws

btw the code for pokemon generation 1 and 2 its an absolute horrible mess, 0 error checking almost everywhere which has led to some of the craziest bugs ever

based and redpilled

iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/ds/pokemon/0/2

Facts Iwata read and rewrite red and green code for America release and translation.

Iwata build compression tool for graphics for Gold and Silver.

>Mary
this post smells like shekels

Same way some people can fit 2 dicks in 1 asshole.
Experience.

Probably worked much like a 2D array referencing tiles?

Did you know your smartphone can hold very detailed vector based real maps in its storage? Try some openstreetmaps app some time.

Back then it would depend on the tools they had. Was the game compiled, or was it mostly written in ASM?

If it was compiled lines of code does not easily correlate with the size of the binary. Some things compile to more instructions than other things, and in low-level languages abstractions generally live in the source and the compiler, not the binary.

>Can anyone explain how he did this?
He re-used memory locations for a lot of things. Imagine the location 0x0001 is usedto store what attacks you can use in battle. The same 0x0001 location will be used to store what item you have registzred in the select key outside of battles. Small gainz like that, summed up, makes a lot of free space.

>Are people who are able to do what he did highly valued and rare in game studios?
They were until the early 2000s. Nowadays programmers just smear shit everywhere without giving a single fuck about performance.

"The game is too slow? Just create a more powerful GPU lol."

Look at how nice hl2 on ultra looks and look how nice it runs on every config. And it was in 2004. Imagine what we could have achieved if programmers weren't so fucking lazy and kept coding nicely.

>he asks a question about memory saving and the current dev industry
FUCK OFF GAMERFAGGOT

I'm sure you're making 1080ti and soeccy posts all the time faggot

To be fair they were punished for one, single, sin. Since then, literally everyone has been sinning on the regular, so I think this shows the punishment was rather justified.

And that's a good thing!

No, seriously, games are far more fun when with a little effort you can break them and mess around. Look at the Ocarina of Time speedrunning community, which is among the most popular despite the game being released 20 years ago. Modern super-sanitised games where there's no way to do anything that wasn't explicitly allowed by the developers are just boring.
The exception of course would be bugs that affect normal gameplay when you're not trying for any glitch (like a lot of Skyrim's fuckups), but I don't think pokemon has a lot of those.

>He re-used memory locations for a lot of things. Imagine the location 0x0001 is usedto store what attacks you can use in battle. The same 0x0001 location will be used to store what item you have registzred in the select key outside of battles. Small gainz like that, summed up, makes a lot of free space.
That only helps save RAM though, OP is asking about ROM.