GENTOO

I'm considering to install Gentoo and i want to ask:
Is it actually worth the distro or it's only a meme and it's worthless?

Attached: richard_stallman.jpg (993x805, 303K)

install gentoo

It's worthless. Just install Ubuntu like everyone else.

install gentoo

It's for people so autistic they know every intricate piece of information about their pc
They can then compile everything exactly to their pc without anything else
No one but basement dwellers and computer engineers know this information
So just install arch or debian or manjaro or fedora or literally any other distro if you are any sort of normal

It’s good if you actually want to learn about Linux but overall it’s a meme edge lord OS. Having said that I’ve installed in hundreds of times and maintained a gentoo web server for a while.

if you love to spend hours of free time ricing and customizing then sure.

I tried installing Gentoo, got bored when the compiling started because I realized I would have to sit through that for updates and just reinstalled Arch Linux.

It's good to make an OS that's close to upstream yet minimal.

see pic related

Attached: installgentoo.png (2560x1440, 115K)

ITT: Shirts RMS wouldn't be caught dead wearing.

It's good.
Gentoo allows you to control useflags system-wide or at basically any granularity so you can have control over how your software gets compiled. It's a surprise to most people who don't compile software just how many options you can enable/disable at compile time. In most distros, maintainers do this for you and just try to give something reasonable (or just enable fucking everything, like Arch).
Non-meme answer is that Gentoo is worth trying just because it's a completely different approach than basically anything else (even Arch, etc). It empowers every user to be their own maintainer.

cool VM brotendo

install cloveros. all the good feature of any binary distro with all the power of Gentoo.

>not using windows 10 in 2018

> sit through updates
Your time is obviously worthless anyways if you do this.

just make sure your CPU is properly cooled with thermal paste correctly applied ect. things are gonna great really hot from compiling stuff constantly and if you have a slower computer or a laptop (Heat issues) I'd personally go with something like Arch Linux if you want the minimalism but don't want to be compiling stuff constantly, although I think theres distros based off gentoo that have binary packages you could look into.

It's been a long time since I used it, but it was pretty nice. Installing and upgrading software takes quite a bit of time since it has to be compiled, but the upsides include:
>being able to optimize very specifically for the system it's actually running on, with -march=native flags and such
>USE flags are very nice for choosing what libraries to actually link with and/or features to enable, avoiding potentially a lot of unnecessary dependencies
>it makes it very easy to apply custom patches to programs being installed
The main reason I switched from it to Debian Stable is mainly just because of the lesser amount of constant updates. Running Gentoo is more like running Debian Testing or Unstable in terms of the amount of package updates per unit of time.

It's really a nice distro, people who say it's a meme have never tried it or are brainlet who were too dumb to use it

Gentoo is a solid OS with a lot of handy built in features like eselect , portage, etc

>easiest way to build a system with mixed stable+new packages
>fewer freetard license policies
>mostly optional customization of config flags
>official repo significantly larger than alternatives

You should have a decent CPU, it compiles everything, which is about as CPU intensive as it gets

>I would have to sit through that for updates
The computer doesn't need you while it's compiling, so you can just go do something else, like sleeping. Also, if you crank up the PORTAGE_NICENESS, you can just keep using the computer while it's compiling.

this and
this

gentoo and compiling your own hardened kernel felt cool it and also pointless when you had to compile your 100th program.

do it if you want to feel self rewarded or else install mint