Haiku R1 Beta just released

Breaking news: After nearly 6 years since R1/alpha4, Haiku R1/beta1 has been released.

Grab it here: haiku-os.org/news/2018_09_28_haiku_r1_beta1/

Attached: photo_2018-09-29_10-09-47.jpg (1020x480, 41K)

Other urls found in this thread:

haiku-os.org/docs/userguide/en/gui.html
youtube.com/watch?v=Xerzk0jYGaA
dev.haiku-os.org
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

What is this shit, it doesn't even have tux racer. How can you call it an OS?

Do we really need another shitty Linux distro?

Yes.

Its not linux

>Linux distro
What kind of brain damage do you have? I'm sure it must be serious

I'm having a stroke!

Attached: vomit.jpg (316x263, 36K)

Can Haiku unironically become the new linux and get software ported to it?

God I fucking hope so! Fuck!

Still no GPU acceleration so not usable for me. It’s impressive of course but hobbyist/unpaid labor alone doesn’t mean I’ll choose an inferior solution.

Pretty cool they (appear) to have Bluetooth working. The system is beautifully fast, I was impressed right off the bat when the bootscreen was quick and in proper resolution

Wait, wasnt it mono-user?

And? What's wrong with it? Do you still expect security from obscurity? It is 2018, wake up Neo.

lol enjoy no programs and no games

witnessed

Attached: 1527091726-776-int.jpg (1280x720, 71K)

Not everybody addicted to gaymes you tool.

granted, gaymes are for children
>no programs
oh nononono hahahahaha lmaoo

Did BeOS have relevant software, in first place?

no, that's why it's dead.

Webpositive just needs a native abp compatible adblocker and it's ready.

awesome. can't wait to check it out.

Attached: yeaaaaaa.gif (322x322, 642K)

Libreoffice got ported to haiku a few months ago and there are games for haiku.

It has it's own kernel :)

>Linux distro
It's a BeOS clone.

What is the point of haiku? How is it compared to Linux?

has anyone actually installed the beta on bare metal?

It's a clone of the discontinued BeOS. Comparing it to linux is silly when both of them have very different design goals. One difference between linux and haiku is that haiku was designed to take advantage of a GUI similar to plan 9 rather than have a GUI be a completely separate component. Haiku is also not derived from a Unix like OS nor is it trying to be Unix like.

When you talk about a GUI similar to plan9, are you talking about how the screen is just a file in /dev/screen and that there's no UI toolkit, that you just draw pixels and shit straight to a file, or?

Thank you, that sounds rather interesting and you got me to look into it

Why should a non autistic person running Windows® 10 care?

Just getting this badboi installed in virtualbox

Attached: haiku.png (1040x848, 116K)

Why should a normie care about any tech

>Linux

I'm not that familiar with how plan 9 and haiku renders the GUI. I just know that both operating systems tightly integrate the GUI as part of the experience. Perhaps this manual article will explain better than I could
haiku-os.org/docs/userguide/en/gui.html

I am using the beta right now in live mode, but holy shit, this is OS is slower than I thought. Even Lubuntu feels faster in this machine.
Also, this OS is unintuitive as fuck. I mean, where are the programs here, in first place? Which menu? And where is the shut down, reboot, sleep buttons here?
And the Web Positive browser is just straight garbage.
Also pic of proof, if you dont believe me.

Attached: screenshot.png (1024x600, 149K)

keep blogging man. more.

The operating system is only going through a soft freeze. It'll be a very bumpy ride as bugs further are fixed and the OS is tuned to be much better. Just don't expect any more major features from here on out.

Are you on a VM?

I just installed some software and then got bored and shut it off :^)

>this OS is unintuitive as fuck.
baby duck

how is it unintuitive? it uses a similar "start button" launcher paradigm as Windows

No, LiveUSB in a NetBook.

I know the implication of an OS being in beta phase, but that doesn't mean there aren't some GUI issues or limitations at this moment.
In first place, I couldn't really maximize the windows, only partially because the Tracker part still occupies the space, for some reason, like the pic shows.
The maximize/close buttons are on different positions at opposite extremes, for some reason, thought I could live that, no big problem.
And there is no software "drawer" or something similar, and I only could opened the WebPositive browser thanks to the Be Book link, but I couldn't find the main icon.
And like I say, the Shut Down/Reboot/Log Off/etc buttons are not really displayed, or at least I didn't found them.

why is it bigger than the average nightly build though?

Git gud

Fuck around with it

Myself. Dual-booting with Windows 10.
After playing a bit with the source for making decorators I corrupted it though. Gotta fix that with a live USB.

Documentation. Thats not part pf the nightlies.

What did you do?

And how would I go about making my own decorator?

>What did you do?

I'm not entirely sure. I fucked a function for drawing the frame in the decorator and now it just crashes into KDL whenever I open a window, continually displaying an error message. I gotta change the decorator externally.

> And how would I go about making my own decorator?

The haiku source has some decorator examples in src/add-ons/decorators.

To make a new one you have to download the haiku source and compile yours within it. Just add your decorator in the decorators folder, edit the corresponding configuration files and you're set.

Then the easiest way is to run Jam -q YourDecorator. Try it with the MacDecorator.

All decorators have the same functions/structure, so they're pretty easy to follow in that aspect. For example, all of them have a _DrawFrame, which draws the window frame, and _DrawTab. The default decorator has the colors of everything in global arrays, so if you want a flat theme for example you just gotta tweak those colors.

Now the tricky stuff:
First, I still don't know how to debug a decorator.
Second, while changing the tab is easy enough, changing the window border width is a lot harder it seems. You can't just draw only make fewer strokes of color because the system expects it to have an already defined border width. I still don't know how to work around that.

Some info you will find helpful:
The default decorator is not on the decorators folder. It's on src/servers/app/decorator. Just grab DefaultDecorator.cpp/h and put it in your custom decorators folder. Then it needs some small tweaks to make it a custom decorator like the rest. Just look up in the other decorators for differences.

I have a default decorator already configured if you want it, but I can't boot right now.

For me it's the fastest system yet even when running from a shitty USB-stick and using software rendering with VESA graphics drivers on a 10 year old draggable.

Not anyone you were replying to, but it cracks me up that there's already people on Jow Forums ricing their Haiku

WebPositive is indeed a crock of shit.

The performance issue you mentioned is not really what I expect from Haiku. You might have a problem.

As for not knowing how it works, git gud scrub.

>And like I say, the Shut Down/Reboot/Log Off/etc buttons are not really displayed, or at least I didn't found them.
youtube.com/watch?v=Xerzk0jYGaA

Why else do you use an OS?

Suspicious update after all that shilling :~)

I have a hunch that at some of the devs are of our kind. It makes me feel closeness to the OS.

I've used live USB Haiku on my netbook and it's pretty fast

holla if u /baremetal/

Attached: screenshot3.png (1024x768, 234K)

why wasn't this in the email

Holla! Nice, but only 243 packages? I‘m well above 1000, but i do development and porting, and i‘m not a newcomer.
Still nice job mate!

its dead because apple sued them

Woah almost a hole gb, iirc the alpha was 300mb
Really hope its usable as a daily driver now, last time I tried it it was so so close. Everything ran fine except for web shit and movies, should still have my hdd with haiku on it and tons of cpp I was learning for it.

What? No, that never happend. Please do not lie. Be went down because the monopol position of MS and their shady oppressing business practices.

Is there an Otter binary available for Haiku?

Does this shit even have a uBO compatible browser?

Oh maybe I'm wrong.
Did a quick search and didn't find anything, so yeah you're probably right.

QupZilla comes with it built in, and is probably the best browser in the repo's.

Other browsers include:
Otter Browser
Netsurf
Qutebrowser
and Haiku's browser "Web Positive", which is shit at the moment.

It is in the Depot, check the Leaf-menu.
So: yes, it have.

Please be nice, it is not a shit, just a small OS.
And please port a uBO supported browser to Haiku if you need it. Cant be hard, you are intelligent. Thanks and have fun with Haiku!

What are the differences between actual beta and pre-beta nightly images from the past few weeks? Are the graphic drivers any more compatible? Can I finally use this on my core2duo at 1080p?

Small adjustments, but no breaktrough changes. You should try it nevertheless. If nothing else, you can tell your grandchilds you tested the Beta before it conquered the world. You were there as the history got written! Have fun!

>QupZilla comes with it built in
No it doesn't, faggot.

it comes with an adblock built in you nigger

>ubo is just an adblocker

Attached: hurr durr.jpg (274x321, 26K)

right at the same time i was taking an interest

nice

go back to posting about smartphones

How do I install this on my smartphone

>tfw it doesn't support your motherboard's Ethernet

Attached: anime22.png (591x716, 322K)

I tried loading it on my Mac Mini 2,1 (Intel CPU) and I just got a black screen

Doubtful.
It has freebsd NIC drivers. That's almost everything.

Attached: 1533465620197.jpg (1920x1080, 950K)

Well, I get no internet, and in the devices it says that the driver isn't implemented. I thought it was a bit strange too, but I have no idea what to do to try and fix it.

Attached: screenshot3.png (820x512, 62K)

Well fuck. i211 is newish. Maybe that freebsd didn't have it?
It might be worth dropping by their irc channel.

Attached: 1510392929851.png (726x1080, 581K)

Devices app driver support reporting capability is not implemented. It says the same even for supported hw too.

Hmm. You're right. I guess I'll have to take it up to the devs.

Otter Browser does really well for the time being.

Attached: screenshot1.png (1280x800, 187K)

obsolete technology.

Please use the bugtracker for reporting bugs, andbenice and use the search box to check if you are the first reporter. Thanks!
dev.haiku-os.org

The word you are searching for is ‚state-of-art‘.

>Rather than the ancient FFmpeg 0.10, the last version that GCC2 can compile, FFmpeg 4.0 is now used all-around (even on GCC2 builds, thanks to some clever ABI trickery.) This means a much widened support for audio and video formats, as well as significant performance improvements (at least for those on newer CPUs.)

gcc2, holyshit, this is even worst than i thought.

>hey guys, come to haiku, ours binaries are optimized for the pentium 3

Attached: laugh.webm (1280x720, 2.99M)

wow another great post, let me just give you some attention, keep posting anytime

Looks like its already been reported recently.

Oh neat they have screenshots in the depot now.
Still waiting for my shitty internet to finish downloading the beta. Wonder if I could have just downloaded it on my Haiku harddrive and saved some time.

I first tried it in a VM. Every program would crash after exiting. When I booted it up on the bare metal I was greeted with a distorted screen. After rebooting and enabling fail safe video mode it made it to the desktop before rebooting a half second after the desktop icons appeared.

What a shame. I loved BeOS Personal Edition back in the day and used it as a daily driver for a good while.

Clearly you don't know what an alpha/beta OS should be like. Go back to windows/mac/linux fag.

why is sound the hardest to get working?

x61: sound werks
t420: sound doesnt werk
x220: sound werks when booted from usb, stops werking after install to ssd
(all 64-bit version)

all sound comes in through my case speaker unless I plug my speakers to the front of my case, idk why

can you run WINE on it? What about Firefox?

I'd just like to interject for a moment What you're referring to as Haiku is in fact GNU/Haiku or as I've recently taken to calling GNU plus Haiku, Haiku is not an operating system unto itsel--

>Linux
>Haiku
Pick one faggot. Your lack of knowledge disgusts me

Shh friend, just give him his (you) and move along.

Not until it get accelerated graphics support lel

Gcc2 is used to keep compatibility with a dead OS that didn't have any software to begin with.
I'd love to like haiku but they are making it hard because of design choices to keep supporting BeOS ( which is the point of haiku)