/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Stupid question thread.
Ask your stupid questions here.

>Read
→ → →

>search
>ddg.gg/lite

>redirect anons making their own threads with >GNU/Linux questions?
>PC building?
>Good, cheap, laptops?
>Cheap electronics?
>Windows questions?
>Where can I get Win10 LTSB?
>How do I activate Win10/Win7?
pastebin.com/smjvLZN4
pastebin.com/quC0gz4j
pastebin.com/gHCCFBkt
pastebin.com/4LvsAFk7

Previous thread:

Attached: 78.jpg (500x500, 41K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/COLORFUL-GeForce-GTX-1080-8GB-GDDR5X-TOP-AD-V3-Gaming-Video-Graphics-Card-i-Ring/332823452763
pcgamesn.com/nintendo/nintendo-switch-joy-con-pc-guide
ddg.gg/lite
twitter.com/AnonBabble

how to read others' OOP code?

>looking to buy a laptop for the first time in 10 years
>get endless shit i dont want along with it
>everything uses wangblows 10
>low as fuck storage
>all these gimmick features
the fuck is this shit? why is everything so focused on cloud based storage services and subscriptions?

Attached: terry 11.png (639x855, 986K)

i-i-is there an o-official Jow Forums d-discord?

What's the difference between:
>BIOS
>UEFI
>EFI
>Coreboot
>Libreboot
>SeaBIOS
>uBoot

I'm confused as fuck.

My laptop only charges when it's shutoff it doesn't charge when in Windows. It also doesn't turn on plugged in without a battery. I've tried

>leaving it off
>removing battery then putting it back
>changing outlets
>uninstalling battery drivers and reinstalling

What else can I do to fix this?

Those are called chromebooks AKA trash

Those shitty pieces of shit that run android or chromeOS or whatever the fuck, don't buy them.

If you purchase a laptop just get a 256gb SSD and then an external HDD drive for keeping your extras and media on, or get one that has a main SSD and a HDD on the site.

If you plan to buy windows 10 don't buy anything with less than 8gb ram

you can opt out of them you whiny boomer

They're all pretty much the same. Think of it as a low level OS to initialize hardware. It turns stuff on, and maps it.
So, you have a map now. If you have old hardware, the map will look very old, and the OS you're using (Linux, Win7/10, Mac) sees this map, and knows where the hardware is, and how to get there.
Now, the OS needs to have the drivers (no pun intended) to be able to get to those devices, and communicate with them.
Hope this helps.

Buy a refurbished business class Dell or Lenovo. A lot of them come with Win7, and take a Linux distro no problem. They have better keyboards, and an i5/i7 for cheap. Typically the downside is the screen resolution and weight, but they aren't too bad.
You can get a refurbished business class laptop with a video card in it, backlit keyboard, and 1080p monitor, for less than $500.

t.glow in the darkie

thanks bros

Attached: terry.jpg (640x480, 76K)

can sysadmin see which boards i'm on, or what i search for/listen on youtube, or what i write in this post?

I think this helps.

I read that SeaBIOS can be used as a payload for Coreboot, which confused me because I thought that they were the same thing and the OS was the payload.

Is the BIOS on top of (or loaded by) another thing? Does Libreboot or coreboot load a BIOS or UEFI, or are Libreboot and Coreboot replacements for the BIOS or UEFI?

I don't know anything about computer graphics.
I used meshroom to get a point cloud from a seires of images and now have a .abc (alembic file). How do I get a simple array with coordinates and colors from that?

I've got an array of bools which represent the binary number. I check if one is bigger than another one, checking from MSB (no negative values yet).

for (std::size_t i = 1; idx < 32; ++idx) {
if (a[idx] < b[idx]) return 0;
if (a[idx] > b[idx]) return 1;
}

Is it the only way or I am retarded and missing something? Is there anything I can do to adapt it to modern C++?

The BIOS is it's own 'chipset with CPU'
It's an SOC, a single chip.
You can 'flash' a BIOS, think of it as updating a Motherboard Chipset driver.
That's what these things are doing. Others make edits to them.
SeaBIOS sounds like an edit/update to Coreboot, but I don't have knowledge of it.

It depends.
Is there some kind of security software installed on your machine? If you're using your own laptop without installing anything the answer will be no, otherwise possibly yes.
If there is such software, assume everything is seen.
Otherwise, as long as the web page is using https (without a dodgy certificate) then you can assume that the only thing visible is the site you're visiting and none of the details.

you could probably use std::bitset instead of an array? doesn't make much of a difference, what you're doing looks basically fine.

if you visit a website and it tried http first, the sysadmin can see what the address is
if you're on a machine you don't control, the machine may have been configured with a custom certificate for an https proxy, which would allow all traffic to be visible by a sysadmin (note that such practice may be illegal where you live)
otherwise no, https with normal certificates ensures addresses and content aren't visible outside of the machine you're on, and the server you're connecting to

-- oh, even in the last case, they will still know if you're visiting Jow Forums or youtube, as your DNS traffic is unencrypted, and even without that, they can see which IP's you connect to (only way around that is to use a proxy/vpn)

See the I need to add that to the OP as well as the webdev general. It will be updated in the next OP unless some frogposter posts it while I'm asleep.

I learn how is addition and other basic arithmetic things work on the bit level. I've got an adder, subtractor and multiplicator based on logical operations. Struggle with division heavily, so I implement relational operators now.

Oh, makes sense. Yeah you're on the right track then.

What's a good and preferably open-source calendar program for PC? Would be great if it is available for phones too.

Attached: 1535479420959.jpg (846x475, 222K)

is there a point in going for 1440p monitor with GTX 1070 with Ryzen 1800X, or should I stick with 1080p

Attached: 126100466854.jpg (798x675, 133K)

Sauce?

Everytime I boot my Fedora I get a message "TSC_DEADLINE disabled due to Erra; please update microcode to version: 0x22 (or later".

I've done what's suggested already - "sudo dnf install microcode_ctl", and although it says it's updated, the message still persists.

it's a Lenovo H50 desktop. Tried updating with an USB but it didn't work, serial number in my bios is different than what I'd download from their site.

How do I fix this?

1070 is absolutely overkill for 1080p 60fps, 1080/144hz or 1440p60hz are both nice options though

1440p@60Hz will make more use of your 1070. Question is, whether the higher resolution is worth it... I have a 27" 1440p and I feel like any higher resolution would require me to use dpi scaling, so effectively, I have more screen estate, which is cool. Though really, that was a side effect for me - the main reason I switched was because the new monitor had an IPS panel...

huh, allright
gonna start looking for a 1440p screen then, thans m8s

Should I ...
- Wait for 11 series GPUs to grab an 11XX.
- Wait for 11 series GPUs to grab an 10XX assuming price drop.
- Wait for Black Friday sales to grab an 10XX assuming 11 series GPUs haven't arrived yet and the price drop for 10XX?

I'm only need shit for 1080p gaming but hoping to future-proof.

you're so crusty and stupid fuck off forever

is a 128gb ssd suitable to install both windows 10 and ubuntu on? it would be just the os only. so it would be 60gb for windows 10 - is that enough with updates and all that?

I have an old computer running 24/7 and would like some tips for fun things to do with it.

So far: running Kodi and is connected to my tv. Running a torrent program I can reach from all other computers. Also use it as storage that I can reach from other devices in the network.

I want to get into cuda programmin in c# specifically.
so what does cuda do that its better than good ol cpu?

Are there any way to separate audio streams on Windows so they play through different audio system e.g. browser through headphones, video player through speakers

I would go for a 256 gb ssd

Question:
I'm thinking about building a 100% free software computer.
So I found this motherboard from 2009 on libreboot's website and it's not expensive. GIGABYTE GA-G41M-ES2L
What CPU would should I buy so that I can disable the Intel management engine completely?
Thinking about buying an Intel Core 2 CPU.

Why do people fork repos only to keep the original code without any changes?

Attached: a1629ef53cea4e7cbbdb2ce1481ec225.png (640x800, 394K)

11 series is called 20 series (makes total sense...) and has recently been launched. Idk about future-proofing... nVidia will just continue to release a new series roughly every 2 years with roughly 30% increased performance - and in recent years, for a somewhat higher price...
At the entry / mid end, you pretty much get what you pay for. So, roughly, it makes sense to buy the newest series but... 1080p is not really the focus anymore it seems and I don't know how much performance gain you'll see. So if you can get a 10 series for cheap that satisfies your performance expectations, I'd go for that...

Not sure if this is it own thread worthy, so Ill ask here

Im looking to get a Masters in Computer Science
Ill be going to a Technical College either next semester or in the summer & a good grad school after that
Gameplan anyway

Im curious as to what I can do now.
Ive got a load of free time everyday after work so I want to get started now to get ahead
Experience Level=0
I have a solid laptop, but no formal training or classes accomplished

Books, College Text books, PDF's, Youtube Videos (Channels) is what Im looking for

Free content is preferred, but Ill definitely look at paid content

I can add that the supported CPUs for the motherboard are
Intel Core 2 Extreme
Intel Core 2 Quad
Intel Core 2 Duo
Intel Pentium Extreme Edition
Intel Pentium D
Intel Pentium 4 Extreme Edition
Intel Pentium 4
Intel Celeron

range murata, are people going to ask everytime?

I just bought a new android phone but the instructions say nothing about 24h battery reload. Is it still necessary to do that?

Attached: 9200000076595806.jpg (428x840, 37K)

I have a coiled aux cable I'm gonna connect to my Fiio E07K. This is a very light dac and when I pull the coiled aux cable it pulls it along, instead of uncoiling. I want to avoid fastening the dac and I don't mind the cable being less snappy and more loose. What is a good way of making the cable more loose?

are these effective? ill use it for my desktop and ps4

Attached: 61MIUISaroL._SY355_.jpg (355x355, 13K)

How do I mount my external hard drive? I tried mounting with "uid=1000,gid=1000,rw" but it's still write protected. Drive just works on windows

Attached: 1324765833693.jpg (680x453, 35K)

Best microphone for recording music, specifically acoustic guitar? Not too expensive but not shit and cheap

Attached: 1473758764919.jpg (677x649, 66K)

is there a way to pair up the joycons of my switch with my pc with Bluetooth and use both as one controller?

umask

How to get one of those asian software engineer qts that I see on linkedin?

How do I go about creating a windows installer?

I've seen Wix mentioned but I'm not sure if that's the best option. To be specific I want to use it to patch already existing files and if possible check the system locale is correct.

Attached: 58a97c4684d93a1bfd5e9ed7967a951d.png?e=1538314263&m=LTBnicUGhmFqMUhN8_Iovg.png (648x679, 390K)

both wired and wireless use 802.11 encryption and i had to install some botnet to make it work (it's called Geant link i think), although i managed to set up android without it. windows handles certs real poorly.
i use some custom certificate stored as .pem file. the main problem is i can't share hotspot and have VPN enabled at the same time

My goal- Copy and convert many files from .flac to .mp3. I don't know any software that can do this to a lot of files at once. iTune's doesn't know what a .flac is so that's out of the picture. Any software suggestions?

ffmpeg and a simple script.

Reposting from previous thread:
I have my wifi router in the bedroom, and because the wireless signal is quite weak to some other rooms I set up another router (asus rt-n10u) in repeater mode in the living room. Both routers broadcast the same network (same SSID and password) but when I walk from the living room to the bedroom, the wireless connection on my phone will disconnect and reconnect, from one router to the another I assume. Is this typical for such a setup or is there perhaps a setting I'm missing?

Man all this recent Bowsette art is really pleasing my armpit fetish

>tfw you get excited someone answered your question only to find out they're lusting after Bowsette

Attached: sample-53bba07c07f9c3ea754b9652fb10a698.jpg?e=1538236818&m=0wfNfk0JAXKHfMpxam9N9Q.jpg (708x1000, 146K)

Shouldn't have used Bowsette, user.

Is there a trusted source where I could scan a file to ensure that it doesn't have any keylogger, bitminer, and other malice software? Or if anyone is willing to scan through a unity game?

ebay.com/itm/COLORFUL-GeForce-GTX-1080-8GB-GDDR5X-TOP-AD-V3-Gaming-Video-Graphics-Card-i-Ring/332823452763

How are they scamming with this? There's no way a 1080 is that cheap, what's the deal?

From what I know about batteries nowadays, no there is no need to do anything special with Li Ion batteries.

Apparently the best thing you can do is to not let them fully discharge and you should charge it when the battery gets low, but ultimately, they're largely idiot-proof, so charge whenever and the inbuilt charging circuitry will stop charging them when the battery is full so it doesn't kill your battery if it's charging overnight.

Never make your picture more interesting than your post

how big of a problem is it if i don't include a cover letter?

Wix is not the easiest, but it's a good option, the other main one I know of is InstallShield and that costs hella dollars so probs go with Wix. I'm not an expert on this, but I did investigate options for this for work and Wix was a good free alternative

depends on the company/person. From what I know (not much) a good resume will get you in the door, interviewing well will get you the job.

I'm fairly sure that's typical. They're still different routers so your phone will need to renegotiate with your other router.

pcgamesn.com/nintendo/nintendo-switch-joy-con-pc-guide google it.

Samson mics, like the meteor or meteorite if you want a bit cheaper one.

Second best option is the snowball

Why do people hate systemd?

Attached: 1536783688489.png (657x257, 23K)

I know nothing about cuda so take this with a grain of salt, but theoretically, the cpu can do everything a gpu can do.
The metaphor that I liked the best was that the CPU cores are like professors and the GPU cores (CUDA cores) are like students.
Given lots of little problems, the students will be able to solve these much faster than the single professor will be able to, so it's better to use the GPU for those, but there's problems that are too difficult for the students to do, those are best left to the professors, or the CPUs.

Basically the GPU is good at simple stuff so if you can make problems that are supposed to do lots of stuff fast, if you can get it running on the GPU, it'll be much faster. That's the advantage of CUDA

these two vids been stuck on every Jow Forums page I load for weeks. can't right click hide element. Just did ccleaner.

looks liek I got it from streaming something for abc.com on chrome.

help pls. it only pops up on nsfw boards. I don't see it on g

Attached: Untitled.png (1920x1080, 1.47M)

If you're OK with being limited to 100M on your desktop, sure.

So I want to go down to newgrounds for a nostalgia trip, but I notice that Firefox Quantum doesn't have Flash out the box. I know my PC does have Flash, however, as it comes with Edge which seems to run all this shit fine (albeit slowly).

My question: Do I have to reinstall Adobe Flash Player, or can I just move IE's version of Flash somewhere else in my PC? Is there something else I can do altogether?

The Reddit tab ruined the bait

Attached: 1534323883166.jpg (800x663, 79K)

don't have mobile phone and need to PM a guy for green.

You have to install Flash Player for Firefox. The IE, FF, and Chrome versions are basically 3 different programs.

these seem more like lets player mics
do you have any personal experience with either?

Here's my GT'd stupid question
>Got a samsung EVO SSD from my brother
>Use it for my wii u bc why the fuck no
>ff two years
>Moved to a tiny flat
>Have my wii u next to my fridge on a table
>close my fridge
>Suddenly 1kg metal water cooler falls from the fridge
>lands on my SSD
>the wii u recognizes it
>after 10mins playing, I get a black screen
>restart
>wii u doesn't recognize the SSD
>not even my computer recognizes it
>take a look at it
>one of pins fell off
>noticed corrosion near the pin that fell off
Can you guys help? What should I do? An user in /vg/ said that it was possible to add an external cage for it and then solder some cables.
Can you guys help? This thing is worth a lot to me just to let it die

Attached: 20180929_093712.jpg (1600x1200, 645K)

Try Edge

I took a bath with m phone charging, so maybe the steam got inside it
Well the issue is that when I plug the charger it doesn't react in any way
It's like I didn 't plug anything
I tried the charcher in another phone, and also tried using another charger
The issue is on my phone
Any sugestions?
Please help

they're just typical desktop USB mics, but with the meteor you can take off the legs and put it on a mic arm if you want it closer / not on a desk.

how can I join a private torrent tracker if I don't have an invite and I can't ask for one online?

Bought a cheap Philips monitor and noticed that while it's supposedly "recommended" to use at 1080p@60hz, it does support 75hz (on paper it says that it should be used for testing in case 60hz doesn't work).

Would there be any issues with just using 75hz? This shit looks quite better that way. The monitor supports freesync but I use intel graphics.

Start doing coding projects in one language, build up a portfolio, look for g's programming guides and ideas.

I keep getting a message from windows that pulls me out of a full screen game. "This isn't the optimum resolution available". How do I disable it?

Wait for them to do open signups or look for a similar tracker starting up.

Take the RED interview or join a tracker with limited open registration

Attached: dyplom11.png (652x669, 311K)

If you can use 75 with the native resolution just go ahead and use that.
Some monitors can only use 75 on lower resolutions. My Philips can only be set to 75Hz on 1280x1024 (4:3 aspect ratio)

does anyone know of a good rar password cracker?

is there a way to bypass this shit? i know you have to use noscript captcha on clover but don't have this gay copy-paste window. thank you!

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-09-29 19-20-10.png (321x428, 27K)

Any way to get MPEG4 on an "older" TV without a digital receiver?

btw you can also buy a computer without os, you know that right? most online shops offer you to filter stuff, too.

digital -> analog converter?

4chanx

Thank you. Additionally: Will this make me vulnerable in any way?

i only have 25 dl 25 up

>>search
>>ddg.gg/lite

Doesn't Jow Forums despise DDG? Anyway what's the difference between this lite one and the standard one?

lads
i want to install an os on another pc. all i have is an external hard drive, but can't delete all of its files

if i create a partition, then put the iso there, will it work?

thanks

Attached: 1531341503709.png (900x900, 311K)

Flashdrives are LITERALLY THREE DOLLARS. There is no excuse.

not where i live. very high taxes on stuff like that...

>30% tax
>$4
Again, no excuse. If you can't get your hands on a single goddamed flashdrive, you don't deserve a facking computer.

i came here ask if something specific would work not about the price of fucking pendrives but thanks