Why do some heat sinks that are copper have nickel plating? Doesn't copper have a much better thermal conductivity...

Why do some heat sinks that are copper have nickel plating? Doesn't copper have a much better thermal conductivity? So why put a nickel layer between?

Attached: cooler2_small.jpg (360x240, 49K)

maybe due to copper oxidation

Google it. I just did and found the answer in literally 10 seconds.

Oxidation you stupid retarded idiot.
Go back to high-school chem.

Do you own homework retard

But then again there are plenty of heatsinks with bare copper? Is it just premium?

There aren't.
Anyone who advertises as bare copper is false advertising.

>The nickel layer is decorative and can provide corrosion- and wear resistance. (last part for water blocks only)

>There aren't.
Ryzen heatsink, the white stuff is shitty pre applied paste

Attached: AMD-ryzen-PC-CPU-Boxed-heat-sink-Fan-AM4-Radiator-4P-4-wire-temperature-control-Copper.jpg_640x640.j (640x640, 112K)

It ain't bare son.
A single copper molecule in contact with the air will oxidize whether you like it or not. This is basic chemistry.

I mean is nickel plating just premium? As it's just decorative and more oxide resistant.

>metal
>molecule

>he never done DIY copper heatsinks
lmao

>metals can't form covalent bonds

Attached: 1505320708571.png (300x300, 9K)

it's mostly aesthetics. yes, copper will oxidize, but outside of a moist environment that's a non-issue. copper will turn blotchy and dull fairly quickly while nickel will stay shiny.

Most elements don't exist in nature as single atoms. They tend to form stable molecules such as O2 for Oxygen.
So it's quite probable that a particular metallic element would form mono-element molecules.
Many science texts propagate the fallacy that a molecule requires more than one type of atom.

>Metallic bonds aren't a type of chemical bond
>Implying a chunk of metal isn't a large molecule minus the impurities
Go back to high school retard

I think so nickel plating is just so you don't have to polish the copper plate after you reapply after a while.

carbide black paint is actually better than nickel thou by like 0-1deg and some brands are starting to use that because its cheaper than nickel plating and some people find it more asthetic.

personally I think bare copper is coolest because they usually only do that when they use copper fins and want to show it off. I would take copper over black or silver any day for aesthetics.

B..but then... what are alloys?

This is a non-issue, obviously bare copper heatsinks exist, you just polish them before applying paste.

Honestly, fucking kys dumbass

not sure about that ive had CPU coolers with copper that have oxidized on me not massively so they might have some oil spray on them or some thing but its noticeable after washing them etc.

there have been "fake copper" heatsinks thou like using alloys that look orange enough but are only like 20% real copper etc.

muh gaymen aesthetics