Yet another OpenBSD thread

I decided to start switching to OpenBSD as my daily driver due to CoC.

Prove me wrong.

Gaming aside.

Attached: Harry.gif (227x343, 23K)

Other urls found in this thread:

openbsd.org/faq/faq14.html#softraidFDE
cvsweb.openbsd.org/ports/www/mozilla-firefox/Makefile#rev1.329.2.2
mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/57.0/releasenotes/
chromium.org/Home/chromium-security/guts
wiki.mozilla.org/Security/Sandbox#Current_Status
old.reddit.com/r/firefox/comments/76dxzg/firefox_sandbox_levels_and_technology_vs_chrome/?st=jmnpm5j1&sh=6a0d20ee
openbsd.org/innovations.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

nice, since how long have you been using it?
do you ONLY use oBSD or you dual boot it?
CoC exsisted before its just that they renamed it btw
what are you doing mostly on the os?

I have a thinkpad for browsing/watching movies/communication. Typing, obviously.

I also have a desktop PC with Manjaro for gaming, I'm keeping Linux on that machine for the time.

Reminder that OpenBSD is lacking the following things:
>A robust filesystem such as ZFS, btrfs, or HAMMER2
>Any kind of journaling FS
>NFSv4
>Support for more than one core on various parts of the OS. The firewall, pf, is confirmed to be one of these parts, although there may be more.
>802.11ac networking
>Nvidia graphics from this decade
>AMD Vega graphics
>Certain Intel graphics, at least judging from comparing the manpage to the wikipedia article
>Broadcom wireless
>Bluetooth
>WINE
>LUKS/dm-crypt
>Linux compatibility layer
>Mounting ext filesystems
>free(1)
>lsblk(8)
>and probably more

awsome, i myself i am a manjaro user
im really tempted to switch to try oBSD
but isnt there a problem for SSD degradation for not supporting trim or something?

maybe they have their own type of solutions
and who the fuck uses nfsv4 anyway?

Xubuntu / OpenBSD 6.3 dual boot reporting in
fuck the CoC and fuck Linus for letting Linux get fucked in the ass by retarded trannies backed by corporations to derail the project
I'm still configuring stuff as of right now, I'm gonna install Xfce and tweak the X config

Attached: 2018-09-29-165453_1366x768_scrot.png (1366x768, 112K)

> right wingers crying because Linux adopts a mild CoC
> switch to OS made by an anarcho-syndicalist with an Antifa tattoo

You guys are so dumb.

>but isnt there a problem for SSD degradation for not supporting trim or something?

I see people say it a lot, but as far as I understand it's only a problem for older SSDs, newer ones should be just fine.

the guy is result-focused, it's all we need you retarded mongoloïd

I don't care if he sucks Stalin-shaped dildo every night, as long as he keeps it to himself and not trying to enforce it to other developers.

How does youtube work?

linux is for trannies now
bsd is for men
git gud

no problem

A CoC for OpenBSD is in the works. You will have nowhere to run.

Watch me!

we'll see

Attached: 243.png (680x414, 106K)

It's a problem for newer ones as well. It's only mitigated slightly.

sauce or gtfo trannie

does openbsd have SMT enabled or bhyve yet?

OpenBSD is a slow piece of shit. Linux Libre is the last frontier against the corporate rats. Use parabola instead.

no, no

>>A robust filesystem such as ZFS, btrfs, or HAMMER2
>>Any kind of journaling FS
Use RAID1 on your devices and FreeNAS for your NAS
>>NFSv4
>literally who
>>Support for more than one core on various parts of the OS. The firewall, pf, is confirmed to be one of these parts, although there may be more.
>shrugs
.11ac networking
WiFi is a botnet
>>Nvidia graphics from this decade
>>AMD Vega graphics
>>Certain Intel graphics, at least judging from comparing the manpage to the wikipedia article
>>Broadcom wireless
>>Bluetooth
Closed standards are closed, whodatunk
>>WINE
Run a VM with ReactOS
>>LUKS/dm-crypt
openbsd.org/faq/faq14.html#softraidFDE
>>Linux compatibility layer
Run a VM with illumos
>>Mounting ext filesystems
Good riddance
>>free(1)
systat(1)
>>lsblk(8)
sysctl hw.disknames//code]
>>and probably more
Bring them in faggot

Fuck my keyboard btw

you need an libre hardware to run it you unstable autist

I've been interested in openBSD for a while for its smaller code base written with a focus on security including libressl. I'll be coming from gentoo, and I'd like to dual-boot. I've had clang as my default compiler before and I use libressl now, but is there anything I should take care during my install/configuration?

DragonflyBSD is much superior. It has trim, actual virtualization support, literally the best modern filesystem and WINE support for gaymes.

And no CoC bullshit?

>Software should be about merit and not politics
>This is why I am choosing my software based on politics and not merit
u wat m8?

Fair point, but we've seen examples when software quality dropped after enforcing politics.

It's one of the more niche BSDs, I doubt it'll be pozzed anytime this decade

Attached: 1537461942343220465.gif (599x198, 20K)

>ZFS
wait what? it doesn't have ZFS?

so it just uses UFS?

If your toy operating system lacks something, just call it botnet or bloat

> Apple and Microsoft liberal as fuck
> FreeBSD and Linux adopted CoC with no major issues
> OpenBSD's Theo and Dragonfly's Matt are both anarcho-syndicalists

Is there a single decent operating system made by right wingers besides TempleOS? Why do right wingers never have any intellectual achievements?

lol I doubt terry had any politicial views at all user, he was basically just ranting about cia niggers because he was lit mental. RIP it was too soon

>Why do right wingers never have any intellectual achievements?
all good visual art is made by right-wingers
also companies that start conservative must become liberal if they want to become a global corporation

>all good visual art is made by right-wingers

kek . You're delusional.

Runs like shit on my Thinkpad

here is some liberal leftist soulless art for you

Attached: menage.jpg (1060x523, 51K)

Dual boot Fedora / OpenBSD 6.3 on Dell XPS 13. But my touchpad doesnt work on OpenBSD.

You forgot SSD TRIM.
>inb4 hurrr durr muh firmware wear leveling

> this one piece surely proves my point

Almost all the best visual art from the last century was created by communists. Most of the best literature was as well with some notable entries from western European liberals.

(You)

go back to Jow Forums, faggot.

Attached: image2.jpg (960x930, 151K)

dude just code your own driver, are you retarded or something ?

kek, have you seen the state of Jow Forums the last few months ? I swear 80% of posts are bots or underage

Does firefox quantum work on openbsd?
Does mpv work on openbsd?
Does openbsd use linux file commands such as mv, ls cd?

no, no, yes

>firefox quantum
yes
>mpv
yes
>linux file commands such as mv, ls cd
they're unix file commands, and yes

I guess you have no idea how SSDs work.
Overwriting data is time consuming, as you need to blank out a block and then write it again. Blocks tend to be large (like, in excess of 1 MiB), so your SSD might have to read contents of that block and modify them in memory before writing them again. One way to speed things up is to remap blocks and then blank outdated ones later when the SSD is idle. TRIM lets the SSD know which blocks can be blanked out and it allows it to optimize itself. If you don't have free space (and you won't have it if your file system can't tell which blocks are empty) your SSD will have to overwrite EVERY SINGLE TIME, wasting write cycles and degrading performace. There's a reason why people over-provision their SSDs and there's a reason why TRIM is so important. A smarter controller won't mitigate issues arising from how flash memory works.

>no, no,
wait,wut
it has those packages in ports

>firefox quantum doesn't work on openbsd

Into the trash it goes
Im sticking with the linux kernel
Gentoo and debian are the only operating systems i would use

Software can never be cucked if it uses gpl or mit license
I dont care about the code of conduct, fuck that stupid tranny and fuck you bloated fags

>the guy is result-focused
And so was Torvalds. Look where he is now. I'm guessing he got a threat that could ruin his life, so he decided to throw his work of life under a bus.

All right, so show me some numbers. How soon will an SSD in a typical desktop setup fail with TRIM disabled? Will it happen before I've replaced the drive twice over to get more capacity?

Proof

I've read some statistics wchich implied that SSD should be rewriting constatnly for 5-10 years straight or something ridiculous like that in order to cap out read-write cycles.

cvsweb.openbsd.org/ports/www/mozilla-firefox/Makefile#rev1.329.2.2

That's not quantum.

I don't care what he believes when the project goals explicitly state that politics will be kept out and solutions are chosen solely on technical merit. Why should I care what he believes?

Attached: theo_de_based.jpg (200x198, 3K)

>chrome has been unveil(2)'d
oh neat, does this mean that running chrome outside of a chroot is less dangerous now?

>How soon will an SSD in a typical desktop setup fail with TRIM disabled?
Probably a bit sooner than if you used a proper file system, but the real problem here is performance. You don't get a faster storage device to use it in a less efficient way because it adds up to somewhat better performace, that's retarded.
>Will it happen before I've replaced the drive twice over to get more capacity?
Depends on how many writes you make and how often you replace disks. With the speed at which SSDs get cheaper you could write to them 24/7 as fast as you can and they would not be likely to die.
There was this one benchmark of SSDs, where 240GB TLC ones started showing dead sectors after around 700TB of writes. I don't think it even took a year of constant linear writes to see them start dying.

>right wingers crying because Linux adopts a mild CoC
>switch to OS made by an anarcho-syndicalist with an Antifa tattoo
Maybe it's not a partisan issue, but rather an issue of not wanting to be told how to act when you're working on a project for free. Have you ever considered that?
I can't stand Torvalds' stance on GNU and GPLv3, it got him fucked over multiple times (with this being possibly the last time ever).

Attached: really_makes_you_function.png (198x183, 7K)

Antifa tattoo? Source

> and solutions are chosen solely on technical merit

Linux is decades ahead of OpenBSD in terms of technical merit and the CoC won't change a thing.

Yep, it only has access to ~/Downloads and ~/Uploads.

> wahhh I can't call people niggers on the mailing list anymore

Attached: 1536028496975.jpg (1600x900, 124K)

>Today is the first of several releases we’re calling Firefox Quantum, all designed to get to the things you love and the stuff you need faster than ever before.
mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/57.0/releasenotes/

OpenBSD -current has since updated to 62.0, the latest Firefox AFAIK.

>Linux is decades ahead of OpenBSD in terms of technical merit
You can't be serious

Exactly my problem, nigger. I don't want to be forced to reduce my dictionary of insults when I'm mad at someone.

ftfy

Attached: society.png (1600x900, 1.6M)

>people
Did you just assume their personhood?

You've never contributed anyways.

>Linux
>Technical merit
Hahahahahahahaha
Do you know how many security features openbsd had a decade before Linux because Linus insisted that the openbsd devs are masterbating monkeys?

Proof

Not him but why Firefox? It is years behind chrome on security features such as privilege isolation.

>It is years behind chrome on security features
Elaborate

>Do you know how many security features openbsd openbsd had a decade before Linux

ASLR was the only interesting one and there have been custom kernels available with stronger forms of ASLR than what OpenBSD offers since 2005.

Not to kernel development, but who knows whether I'll have something to add in the future.

openbsd doesn't even have kaslr

>ASLR was the only interesting one
Heh, either you don't know what your talking about or you aren't familiar with openbsd.
chromium.org/Home/chromium-security/guts
wiki.mozilla.org/Security/Sandbox#Current_Status
A firefox dev saying it's behind chrome
old.reddit.com/r/firefox/comments/76dxzg/firefox_sandbox_levels_and_technology_vs_chrome/?st=jmnpm5j1&sh=6a0d20ee

Chrome septates tasks and privileged things into different processes. This hooks into things like pledge and capsicum which enforces the privileges at the kennel level. It is much harder for an attacker to do things like open a port or read files because those tasks aren't permitted by the process that they have infected. Chrome isolation is far from done but Firefox right now is so poorly isolated that every process has to have access to all syscalls at all times. The reason for this discrepancy is that chrome was designed from the ground up with privilege isolation in mind while Firefox was not and they have to catch up now.

I could use a laugh. Let's hear about all these amazing security features that originated in OpenBSD.

openbsd.org/innovations.html
Enjoy. Your bias already shows but whatever.

Pathetic. I thought you'd at least be able to come up with a couple bullshit features.

Convince me to switch my FreeBSD home server to OpenBSD.

Attached: 1538060876058.png (1920x1280, 2.45M)

>Pathetic. I thought you'd at least be able to come up with a couple bullshit features
You asked, I gave the most comprehensive list by far, what are you talking about?

I don't even care. If Theo is the reincarnation of Karl Marx, I still don't care. I care that the software is coded based on merit of the code, not the color skin or hair of the contributor

Depends on what you need. What do you use it for? How much of a concern is security?

I doubt you're in any position to judge the merit of the code.

Where did he say he was judging the code? He said that he cares about the principle not that he evaluates the code.

You're a fucking wizard Harry.

whoah

Attached: serveimage.png (680x432, 118K)

It uses BSD FFS

>keep reading on Jow Forums about how good openbsd is
>muh security, muh truly free license, muh based theo
>finefine
>install it
>innocently run startx
>THIS FUCKING MONSTROSITY SHOWS UP, BLINDING ME AT FULL BRIGHTNESS FOR 10 MINUTES
>I literally can't see
>start screaming
>mommy comes in
>she sees the screen
>mommy is epileptic
>starts convulsing on the ground
>dad walks in
>he's also blinded
>I recover before them and call 911
>end up having to pay 3000USD in hospital bills because of a fucking Jow Forums meme

Attached: OpenBSD_5.9_fvwm_default.png (1920x1080, 46K)

OpenBSD should make cwm the default. I mean, it's the one they made themselves

>pay 3000USD in hospital
Amerifag detected

It's ugly as fuck but who decided it was a good idea to put that shitty epileptic background?

> Jow Forums
> a poster from USA

what are the odds